• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many people in May

Wastemaitime

Time of past OR future Camino
Hey there,

I'm about the start the Norte in 2 days. I was wondering how many people on the road per day I can expect? Just trying to plan for accomodation requirements. I'm hoping to avoid the stresses of booking ahead, as required currently one the Frances way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wastemaitime, Hi - I'll be heading out from Bilbao on the 19th, and will hope to hear how you're getting along should you post. I'd like to not do much booking ahead as well. You're probably on your way there - Buen Camino to you.

In May 2016, 1,480 arrived in Santiago having walked the the Norte. 155 of them started in Bilbao. This went up to 2,268 arriving from the Norte in June, but that's still less than 10% of the numbers on the Frances (25,625 in the same period!)

https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/

The Norte doesn't have the same pilgrim infrastructure as the Frances, so beds are sometimes tight as there might be only one albergue in town. However as its a coastal tourist route there are usually a couple of cheap-ish pensions nearby so it shouldn't be too much of a scramble.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back