• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many people Start the Camino yearly from SJPP

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Having just been quoted that only 30,000 people start from SJPP I thought it was much higher ?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Having just been quoted that only 30,000 people start from SJPP I thought it was much higher ?
26,569 in 2013. That‘s pilgrims registered at the pilgrim office in SdC so it won't be the same as the number setting off due to people walking in stages etc.

That number would also include friends of mine who have started there and only walked as far as Pamplona and Logrono along with the numerous tourist who probably are willing to pay 1 euro for a souvenir to take home.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I know a very happy:p, smiley:), contented:D excited:rolleyes: and nervous:eek: someone, not very far from this keyboard who is starting from StJPDP on the 25th of this month who will increase those figures by at least one.

Buen Camino

Actually, even less (26'500, see http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com.es/2014/01/pilgrims-statistics-from-santiago-for.html) SJPdP is only one of the countless starting points, but many (Overseas-) Pilgrims seem to believe that it is some kind of "official Camino start", although there is no historic relevance whatsoever to this. The Camino can be commenced anywhere (historically at your own doorsteps at home); if you care to receive a Compostella you must walk the last 100 km though.
While the crossing of the Pyrenees from SJPdP is certainly interesting and challenging, it makes one wonder and smile, at what length many pilgrims go to start in a place so remote and difficult to reach (after flying across oceans first btw!)
Probably this is influenced by the movie "the Way".

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a very happy:p, smiley:), contented:D excited:rolleyes: and nervous:eek: someone, not very far from this keyboard who is starting from StJPDP on the 25th of this month who will increase those figures by at least one.

Buen Camino
John, me too! But a couple of days behind! Unless you plan to take it real slow and take a few rest days, I probably will always be following you! So Buen Camino! Otherwise look for the cat!

Actually, even less (26'500, see http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com.es/2014/01/pilgrims-statistics-from-santiago-for.html) SJPdP is only one of the countless starting points, but many (Overseas-) Pilgrims seem to believe that it is some kind of "official Camino start", although there is no historic relevance whatsoever to this. The Camino can be commenced anywhere (historically at your own doorsteps at home); if you care to receive a Compostella you must walk the last 100 km though.
While the crossing of the Pyrenees from SJPdP is certainly interesting and challenging, it makes one wonder and smile, at what length many pilgrims go to start in a place so remote and difficult to reach (after flying across oceans first btw!)
I have to admit that being from the US, it was because of the movie The Way that I know of the Camino de Santiago. Also from what I have seen from that movie as well as pictures posted, I definitely want to start from there...for both the town itself and the beautiful scenery in the Pyrenees.

Not "The Way" - my first Camino started in SJPDP 14 years ago and I'd completed 3 from SJPDP before the movie was made.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
These are the weekly and monthly stats from the pilgrim's office in St Jean - you will need your diary to work out the week numbers. The numbers aggregate to many more than those stating St. Jean when they receive the Compostela.

monthly.jpg weekly.jpg

Last edited:

Buen Camino

Cool - have a great Camino John. 25th? Carry some food with you!
Hhhmm ... I wonder if I can get to Puente la Reina before you pass there, I seem to remember that it is my round! ... hoping to leave sometime end of next week - driving along the road to Puente la Reina - the refugio/campsite over the bridge - towing a caravan, and waving and kissing my hand to the pilgrims as I pass :);)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cool - have a great Camino John. 25th? Carry some food with you!
Hhhmm ... I wonder if I can get to Puente la Reina before you pass there, I seem to remember that it is my round! ... hoping to leave sometime end of next week - driving along the road to Puente la Reina - the refugio/campsite over the bridge - towing a caravan, and waving and kissing my hand to the pilgrims as I pass :);)
David,
It would be great if we did meet on a Camino. Seems only fitting to me given the help you have given me and that we met personally. Let's see how things work out shall we.

Buen ( Pilgrim aiding) Camino my friend

I have to admit that being from the US, it was because of the movie The Way that I know of the Camino de Santiago. Also from what I have seen from that movie as well as pictures posted, I definitely want to start from there...for both the town itself and the beautiful scenery in the Pyrenees.
Kris,
My husband and I saw "The Way" in Nov 2012 and August of 2013 we did the Camino from SJPDP to Santiago. The Pyrenees were beautiful but so are all the other mountains you will go over. Each is special and different. Also, the movie leaves out the parts of how difficult it can be and shows wearing jeans - no one wears jeans on the Camino as take too long to dry and are heavy. Still, the movie "hooked" us and now the Camino has hooked us. We are planning our next Camino from a little further back in France.
Lynda

Kris,
My husband and I saw "The Way" in Nov 2012 and August of 2013 we did the Camino from SJPDP to Santiago. The Pyrenees were beautiful but so are all the other mountains you will go over. Each is special and different. Also, the movie leaves out the parts of how difficult it can be and shows wearing jeans - no one wears jeans on the Camino as take too long to dry and are heavy. Still, the movie "hooked" us and now the Camino has hooked us. We are planning our next Camino from a little further back in France.
Lynda
I agree with you wholeheartedly about the discrepancies like wearing jeans and also the only part about laundry ( other than when Tom is drying his clothes after jumping in the river) was when Tom was in Leon in the Parador. But it did introduce me to the Camino and retrospectively to this forum and great community, and for that I am grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Although 30,000 may start in St Jean a very small percentage make it to Santiago in one go...At the communal dinner at le Chemin, that became clear....
Here are stats from Santiago for 2013.
Starting point Numberof pilgrims
S. Jean P. Port 26569 (12,31%)

Not at all influenced by The Way. I started in St Jean because it was in France and there's something special about walk the Camino Frances from France. Never seen the movie
It's understandable. Pilgrims coming from the USA, Canada, Australia, etc. have a different, perhaps more romantic image of crossing the French/Spanish border, which is actually inexistent; for Europeans, it is a non-event. But every pilgrim decides on his own Camino.
Why I keep on raising the issue are those repetitive questions about "how to get to SJPdP" on this forum and to see that many pilgrims are lead to believe that starting in SJPdP is somewhat compulsory, it is not. Especially for seniors, it is much wiser to comfortably get to Pamplona and start the camino right there, instead of "first turning back". The Camino is so special because it has no rules and it is comforting that the statistic show: The SJPdP-starters are a minority at about 12%.

PS: Influence of "The Way" Movie? here are the stats:
Camino Stats.pdf

Attachments

• Camino Stats.pdf
    19.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am another one starting from SJPP on Thursday 22nd; I've seen 'The Way' but my inspiration is not from the movie, I've had if in my head for a long time to do it from there as it 'should' take me 40 days...

Looking forward to starting with such a mix of emotions, I can't choose the words...

Carrin

I started from St Jean in 2012 and will be doing so again later this year - in fact, I just booked my flights tonight. I'll be arriving in Biarritz on July 2 and beginning my walk the next day.

As others have said, there is no official start point, and I think most Spanish who decide to walk the 'full' Camino Frances consider Roncesvalles the start point. This idea is very noticeable when you reach Santiago. Of the many souvenir t-shirts etc available which offer a map of the route, Roncesvalles is almost always presented as the start-point.

I'm really looking forward to St Jean this year. In 2012, I had a few issues around missed flights and other little obstacles, ended up arriving there at lunchtime on a Monday, and began walking almost immediately, so I had very little time in the town itself. I was supposed to stay at Espirt du Chemin on the Sunday night, but missed out on that booking, and by the time I finally got there my top priority was to make it up to Orisson and make my booking there.

So, this year, hopefully, there'll be a little less drama vis-a-vis getting there, and I should reach St Jean by early afternoon on July 2. This time I fully intend to take my time and enjoy the place before taking on the climb and (hopefully) stopping at Orisson again!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I do understand the influence of the movie. I walked in 2012 and only met one person who was influenced by the movie. I'm European and crossing the border was a big deal. Also made a point of starting the del Norte in Hendaye and walking across the border. Agree with the stats. I've been told that about 10% of compostellas are issued to those starting in St Jean

For me the Camino Frances could ONLY truly begin at Saint Jean Pied de Port, the picturesque Basque mountain town in the French Pyrenees. Excitement builds while riding there on the local train from Bayonne. Once arrived after hoisting my pack, walking uphill and through the old fortress walls to 39 rue de la Citadelle, the pilgrim office of the welcoming Amis du Chemin de St Jacques to obtain a Credential and bunk, I walk on. New camino arrows now lead directly to number 55, the comfortable municipal albergue. Pushing open that famous red door launches another camino adventure. Mme Jeannine, the tireless hospitalera greets all and serendipity prevails. Long might it be so.

Margaret Meredith

The figures from neither the pilgrim offices in SJPP and SdC will measure the exact number who walk. SJPP basically measures those who get their credencial there as opposed to from a confraternity etc beforehand. This may affect the longer routes such as SJPP-SdC differently from say, Sarria-SdC where people could (arguably) be more likely to plan their pilgrimage at short notice. Nor does it include those who walk through from elsewhere in France unless they get a credencial there (although obviously these are not SJPP starts as such). SdC measures those who collect a Compostela - some pilgrims may not want to or have time to. Then there are those who walk some stages but not all, or do so in different years.

Depending on why you're measuring it you may prefer one source over the other, or just use the percentage starting in different places rather than trying to pin down an absolute number.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Information from Pilgrim Office before 2010:

2003 - SJPP 7670 14% - Roncesvalles 7761 14.2%
2004 - SJPP 9343 7.7% - Roncesvalles 13108 10.9%
2005 - SJPP 9851 14.7% - Roncesvalles 9231 13.8%
2006 - SJPP 10875 15.9% - Roncesvalles 9301 13.6%
2007 - SJPP 14040 19% - Roncesvalles 9172 11%
2008 - SJPP 15763 19% - Roncesvalles 9172 11%
2009 - SJPP 15826 17% - Roncesvalles 10564 11%

You can see from these and earlier statistics that when the Camino was basically a Spanish pilgrimage route Roncesvalles was considered the starting point (it was where I started in 1998) and as it has become more international SJPP has become the more popular start for long distance pilgrims.

The dips in 2004 and 2010 coincide with Holy Years when there are many more short distance pilgrims from Sarria etc.

The numbers do not correlate with the number of people who stayed overnight in Roncesvalles:
2003 – 31.006
2004 – 40.002
2005 – 38.560
2006 – 38.496

€46,-
These are the weekly and monthly stats from the pilgrim's office in St Jean - you will need your diary to work out the week numbers. The numbers aggregate to many more than those stating St. Jean when they receive the Compostela.

View attachment 10017 View attachment 10018

Interesting stats. Just curious. Why is May a spike? Something to do with a holiday period?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ah, OK. I get it. So much to learn :(

But I think heat rather than wet will suit us better...........

When I walked from SJPDP starting about 10 June we had hot weather and not a drop of rain until we reached Galicia. In Galicia - it always rains in Galicia - we had a few rain storms but it was still warm.

Curious what the most recent pre-Covid statistics are about starts from SJPP?

I’m one of those people who once got a Camino credential in SJPP but didn’t actually start. A wonderful woman and I who were racing around with in a beat up old French car, briefly toyed with the idea of starting the Camino completely unprepared without any plannng or equipment, but instead decided to drive up to a Basque village and have an Armagnac instead.😜

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Curious what the most recent pre-Covid statistics are about starts from SJPP?

Statistics from the pilgrim office in Santiago can be found here.

Bearing in mind that these statistics are only for those who receive compostelas, in the last non-COVID year, 2019, 33,197 pilgrims (9.55%) started from SJPdP. That was the second most popular starting point on any camino after Sarria (the way they count it, with Porto central and Porto coastal counted as separate starting points; counting them together would make Porto second and SJPdP third).

Also worth bearing in mind that many people start in St Jean without going to the
Pilgrim Office. I have left from SJPP 2 times without going in. I did check in and get information the first time. if you have a credential and know the conditions there is little reason to visit the often very busy and crowded office.
Many pilgrims are simply unaware of the existence of the office.

Thus...the number will always be skewed a bit.

Statistics from the pilgrim office in Santiago can be found here.

Bearing in mind that these statistics are only for those who receive compostelas, in the last non-COVID year, 2019, 33,197 pilgrims (9.55%) started from SJPdP. That was the second most popular starting point on any camino after Sarria (the way they count it, with Porto central and Porto coastal counted as separate starting points; counting them together would make Porto second and SJPdP third).
It’s interesting that the statistics show such a relatively few numbers starting from Roncevalles. I would’ve thought more since I had understood that was the traditional Spaniard starting point (from many comments on this forum). But those statistics show that’s incorrect, I’m guessing most Spaniards start farther along.

Wow, this thread goes back to 2014.

Several posts address the statistics of both the data collected by the pilgrims office in SJPP and the pilgrims office in Santiago. Post #26 has data collected by Roncesvalles. The albergue in Roncesvalles catches a significant proportion of the pilgrim traffic that passes through - nowadays more pilgrims come from SJPP than start in Roncesvalles.

In 2019, Roncesvalles counted around 52,000 pilgrims, see article here.

The Santiago pilgrims office counted, according to their website statistics, around 33,000 with start in SJPP and around 5,000 with start in Roncesvalles for 2019.

The SJPP pilgrims office counted, according to their statistics published on their Facebook group, around 61,000 pilgrims who came to their office in 2019, most of them departing for the Camino Frances.

Make of these data what you want :). I think their main value lies in observing trends, not in their absolute numbers.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Wow, this thread goes back to 2014.

Several posts address the statistics of both the data collected by the pilgrims office in SJPP and the pilgrims office in Santiago. Post #26 has data collected by Roncesvalles. The albergue in Roncesvalles catches a significant proportion of the pilgrim traffic that passes through - nowadays more pilgrims come from SJPP than start in Roncesvalles.

In 2019, Roncesvalles counted around 52,000 pilgrims against around 10,000 in 2020, see article here.

I’m sorry if I caused any offense by reactivating a post from 2014!

I was looking for current statistics, hence my post, not statistics from pre 2009 on post number 26.

Well, and it seems those sources are measuring two completely different things to me. apples and sausages. The source from the Santiago pilgrims office was how many started in Roncevalles and finished in santiago in 2019, and the other how many pilgrims passed through in 2020 and registered at Colegiata de Roncesvalles. Not sure what that compares, or what that means. But the differences in numbers are quite large, aren’t they?

I’m sorry if I caused any offense by reactivating a post from 2014! I was looking for current statistics, hence my post, not statistics from pre 2009 on post number 26.
None as far as I am concerned in this case. I found the post in number 26 interesting because it addresses changes over time and it also addresses the correspondence, or lack thereof, between various data. BTW, I zapped the data for 2020 in my earlier post in order avoid any confusion.

An unknown but considerable percentage of those who start in SJPP in a particular year do not reach Santiago in the same year, either never or years later, most of them from Spain or elsewhere in Europe.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
BTW, I zapped the data for 2020 in my earlier post in order avoid any confusion.
Well, I’m still interested in what data they were reporting. Obviously the point of this article you originally linked to was the show that a lot less people were in Roncevalles in 2020 than 2019. Ok, expected.

But what was the Colegiata de Roncesvalles actually measuring? They measured 52,082 “Walkers” in 2019, but the pilgrims office in Santiago only shows 4920 Pilgrims that started in Roncevalles and got their Compestela in Santiago in 2019. That’s a big difference, so it can‘t possibly be measuring pilgrims? 95% of the walkers wouldn’t drop out and/or did not finish, I don’t think.

Just interesting, I understand that these statistics can’t be completely accurate.

Last edited:
Well, I’m still interested in what data they were reporting. Obviously the point of this article you originally linked to was the show that a lot less people were in Roncevalles in 2020 than 2019. Ok, expected.

But what was the Colegiata de Roncesvalles actually measuring? They measured 52,082 “Walkers” in 2019, but the pilgrims office in Santiago only shows 4920 Pilgrims that started in Roncevalles and got their Compestela in Santiago in 2019. That’s a big difference, so it can‘t possibly be measuring pilgrims? 95% of the walkers wouldn’t drop out and/or did not finish, I don’t think.

Just interesting, I understand that these statistics can’t be completely accurate.

Silly me. apologies, it was early for me. . Totally wrong thinking on my part. Of course what the Colegiata de Roncesvalles is measuring is also all the people who started in SJPP or further along in France.

Camino statistics? Its all a bit like assessing the quality of a bowl of spaghetti bolognese by measuring the length of the pasta. Many setting out from Roncesvalles, mostly Spaniards who travel there by the coach-load, do not spend the night there or register there, there being no registration process. Many setting out from StJpdP, especially the serial offenders as has been commented above, don't bother registering at the Bureau Pelerin. Many arriving in SdC don't bother with (another) Compostela.

Even if you put wicket gates at a few dozen locations along the Caminos you wouldn't get a accurate count of "Pilgrims on the road to Santiago" 'cos there would always be the cantankerous b*ggers like me who would climb over rather than activate the clicker ;)

I think they were measuring walkers who stayed in their albergue or got stamps there, not necessarily just the ones who started there. So that for every twenty people sleeping in Roncesvalles, 19 started in SJPP and 1 started in Roncesvalles. 61K came to the pilgrims office in SJPP but not all of those started the Camino (as you can attest) and not all necessarily stopped in Roncesvalles. Hence the difference between the 61K and the 47K or so who stayed in Roncesvalles but didn't start there.

Of course, not all the 61K necessarily started in SJPP. Some likely started in Le Puy, or Vezelay, or other places further from SdC.

These [not quoted]are the weekly and monthly stats from the pilgrim's office in St Jean - you will need your diary to work out the week numbers. The numbers aggregate to many more than those stating St. Jean when they receive the Compostela.
No doubt I wasn't the only one who put stamps in a diary instead of a credencial and couldn't be bothered to stand in line for a piece of paper in Santiago—thus not getting counted by any statisticians. Nothing wrong with standing in line for a souvenir, just that my memories and my diary were sufficient for me.

Evey albergue or hotel is required to enter all guest into a database operated by the Guardía Civil. So they would have the ability to makes some estimates. But they won't—more than once we got a call from them, "Did so-and-so stay in your albergue?" And of course, the unspoken answer is "I don't know; what does your database say?"

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Evey albergue or hotel is required to enter all guest into a database operated by the Guardía Civil. So they would have the ability to makes some estimates. But they won't—more than once we got a call from them, "Did so-and-so stay in your albergue?" And of course, the unspoken answer is "I don't know; what does your database say?"
No, they would not have this ability. They do not and never will have access to the local, regional or national database about persons who stay at albergues, hotels and guesthouses. There is something that is called data protections laws. It strictly regulates who has access to these databases and under which conditions those who are authorised can actually access the data. This is the way it is and I am more than satisfied with it and that it will stay like this.

This is a thread from March 2021 and not from March 2022. I didn't see it at first and looked at my posts and thought: "Did I write this? I have no recollection. What's this all about?" 😂

This is a thread from 2021 and not 2022. I didn't see it at first and looked at my posts and thought: "Did I write this? I have no recollection. What's this all about?" 😂
The original post in this thread is from May 2014!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back