• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many pilgrims arrived in July 2020?

Lvra

Time of past OR future Camino
How many pilgrims arrived in Santiago this month exactly? I can see the daily numbers but not the total. How many pilgrims arrived in July 2019? Just to compare...thank you for your help😁

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How many pilgrims arrived in July 2019?
About 9500 pilgrims were counted by the Pilgrims Office. The exact number will be published on their website and in regional newspapers within the next few days, I'am quite sure.

Not every camino walker/pilgrim who arrives in Santiago will go to the Pilgrim's Office and collect a certificate. I have a feeling that many who walked this month were not on their first camino and they may have been less inclined to go to the Pilgrim's Office than others but it's impossible to know their number.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
About 9.500 pilgrims were counted by the Pilgrims Office. The exact number will be published on their website and in regional newspapers within the next few days, I'am quite sure.
And we already have the Pilgrims Office's official number: Nearly 10.000 pilgrims arrived in Santiago during the first month since the re-opening of the Camino, titles La Voz de Galicia this morning, and they also have the official figure: 9.752 Compostelas were issued in this month of July 2020.

Compare this figure with 53.000 in July 2019 and 32.000 in July 2004 of which 25.000 had been Spanish then. The monthly statistics on the Pilgrims Office's website don't go further back than 2004.

Last edited:
9.752 Compostelas were issued in this month of July 2020.
Compare this figure with 53.000 in July 2019

That means that the traffic on the Camino dropped by 81.6% compared to the last year,
That's also over 80% less money for the albergues, bars and restaurants. Quite a grim picture.

Probably a good part of them were young pilgrims from Sarria, who want to include the compostela in their CV, very important nowadays on the shrinking job market in Spain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Probably a good part of them were young pilgrims from Sarria, who want to include the compostela in their CV, very important nowadays on the shrinking job market in Spain.
I expect the Pilgrims Office to publish some more detailed data about the composition of those who walked to Santiago during this summer month.

Personally, I feel that the narrative of the importance of the Compostela in a CV is overrated, at least nowadays, but I really have no first hand knowledge. Young people will put all sorts of achievements in their CV. My gut feeling is that they either walk because they like it or they are on a school trip - and that's more about their home country's or their home region's natural beauty and patrimony and history than about CVs.

Yeah, I don't think that the Camino will make any difference in your CV.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yeah, I don't think that the Camino will make any difference in your CV.
My friends in Spain have told me that having the Camino on your CV is useful. I imagine that for an employer it would indicate adaptability, resilience and resourcefulness; and an openness to new cultural and social experiences, which are all good qualities. This is particularly so for those who do longer walks. I think it's a great thing to put on a CV, and Spanish people would be proud of their achievement.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We are in August now, and yesterday, on the 1st of August, 565 pilgrims arrived at the Pilgrims Office in Santiago while today, Sunday 2nd of August, 582 pilgrims arrived. This is the highest daily number since the restart on 1 July.

Last year, at the same time in summer as now, daily arrivals were around 2.000 pilgrims and on some days as high as 3.000 pilgrims.

Last edited:
My friends in Spain have told me that having the Camino on your CV is useful. I imagine that for an employer it would indicate adaptability, resilience and resourcefulness; and an openness to new cultural and social experiences, which are all good qualities. This is particularly so for those who do longer walks. I think it's a great thing to put on a CV, and Spanish people would be proud of their achievement.
Pilgrims from S. Korea I met have told me that they also include the camino walk on their CV.

I arrived 31st July and didn't go to the pilgrim's office.About 50% of the group who I was with didn't go either.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I expect the Pilgrims Office to publish some more detailed data about the composition of those who walked to Santiago during this summer month.
The Pilgrims Office in Santiago has now published the usual pie charts about those camino pilgrims who came to the office.

Compared to July of last year, apart from the much lower numbers of pilgrims, this year's July Camino (or Caminos) was less global, a lot more Spanish, a bit younger / middle aged, and a bit more male.

Relatively speaking, there were a few more cyclists, and Roncesvalles was as popular as Saint Jean Pied de Port as a starting point. There was not much difference overall in the popularity of the individual caminos and the starting points.

See next posts, all for the months of July 2020 and July 2019. Click on the charts to enlarge.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Comparison of a few selected starting points (Sarria, O Cebreiro, Leon, Roncesvalles, SJPP):

Starting point.jpg

Last edited:
oooops, I just noticed that all I wanted to write in this thread is already here :)
Thank you, @Kathar1na 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back