• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many pilgrims on the VDLP in October?

JAL

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2014
Le Puy-St. Jean 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Norte/Primitivo 2016
Via de la Plata 2017
Hi All,

I am in the which-camino-next planning stage and thinking about doing the Via de la Plata in October. Did anyone walk the VDLP in October of 2015 or 2016 that can give me a feel for how many pilgrims they encountered? I'm trying to find the "Goldilocks" amount; not too many and not too few.

Any insight or comparisons (I have done the CF, Le Puy, and Norte/Primitivo) would be much appreciated.

John

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi
I walked the vdlp starting on 18 September, through October. My experience was in general a small number of pilgrims. For the first week or so I saw around eight, many days I walked on my own seeing no one else. However, there were those times when an albergue would suddenly fill up and I'd be thinking 'where did all these people come from?'.
It's a great walk - you'll always meet yourself out there. Buen Camino!

Hi All,

I am in the which-camino-next planning stage and thinking about doing the Via de la Plata in October. Did anyone walk the VDLP in October of 2015 or 2016 that can give me a feel for how many pilgrims they encountered? I'm trying to find the "Goldilocks" amount; not too many and not too few.

Any insight or comparisons (I have done the CF, Le Puy, and Norte/Primitivo) would be much appreciated.

John
I walked it in oct/nov 2016. There were days when I didn't see anyone but there was NEARLY always some more pilgrims in the albergues at night and I wondered where they came from. Overall, prob saw around 20-25 pilgrims walking in the 6 weeks it took. A lot of people only walk halfway. It is certainly the road less travelled and there are far fewer shops and cafes etc than on the Frances.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Jal , I walked the entirecVDLP in Sept /Oct 2016. It was challenging and fantastic, quiet times mostly and only a few pilgrims along the way if any some days. However we met up with a number of regulars evety day or so and became reassured when we met that we weren't all alone after all. I had walked the Norte 2 years before and loved it too. However maybe because I knew how to prepare I loved the Vdlp more this time. Maybe I am just getting into the long walking thing? I yearn for another but in no way wish for crowds .vbeen very fortunate to have done 2 very beautiful walks . Met amazing people along both. Buen camino.

John[/QUOTE]
Hi Jal, I walkwd

I started from Seville mid September and finished Santiago in early October 2016. I always found a bed, sometimes I was the only person there, pretty quiet in my opinion but a nice walk all the same.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is all great news to me.:) My first camino starts from Seville at the end of September. Can’t wait ! Thanks everyone for this wonderful resource.

I, too, am considering the VdlP in October so this is valuable info, but I'm also wondering about the language. Were there any English-speaking people encountered on the route? I've heard they are mostly if not all Spanish.

In terms of the pilgrims you will meet on the VdlP, most will not speak English. On my first Camino I knew very little Spanish and quickly learned to become friends with those few pilgrims who spoke English and Spanish. On my second Camino I made a concerted effort to learn Spanish before hand and it helped greatly. You can survive with little knowledge of Spanish on the VdlP, but it is a far more enjoyable experience if you enough language skills to at least order a meal, reserve a bed over the phone, and register with the hospitalero.

In terms of the Spanish people you meet along the way, it is best to assume none will speak English. You will be walking for the most part in rural farm land where language skills are not vital to day-to-day life. As a guest in their country I've always felt it best that I learn their language, instead of forcing them to deal with my wild hand gestures and unintelligible questions.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In terms of the pilgrims you will meet on the VdlP, most will not speak English. On my first Camino I knew very little Spanish and quickly learned to become friends with those few pilgrims who spoke English and Spanish. On my second Camino I made a concerted effort to learn Spanish before hand and it helped greatly. You can survive with little knowledge of Spanish on the VdlP, but it is a far more enjoyable experience if you enough language skills to at least order a meal, reserve a bed over the phone, and register with the hospitalero.

In terms of the Spanish people you meet along the way, it is best to assume none will speak English. You will be walking for the most part in rural farm land where language skills are not vital to day-to-day life. As a guest in their country I've always felt it best that I learn their language, instead of forcing them to deal with my wild hand gestures and unintelligible questions.
Thanks kindly for sharing your experience with me and others on this forum. I do speak enough Spanish to order a meal, arrange for a bed and exchange pleasantries however without enough Spanish for an in-depth conversation I'm thinking I will have a lonely time of it if no one else speaks English. I might be better off on another route, however other than the Frances, I don't know where I would find enough English speakers.

I am on the VDLP now. As far as I can tell, the day's cohort (starting to walk from Seville on Sunday) consists of: 2 French Canadians, 2 Anglo Canadians, 2 Dutch, 1 Belgian, 1 German, 1 Italian, 2 Australians. The common language is English among the pilgrims, and there are enough who speak passable Spanish to help the others communicate to locals.

Thanks kindly for sharing your experience with me and others on this forum. I do speak enough Spanish to order a meal, arrange for a bed and exchange pleasantries however without enough Spanish for an in-depth conversation I'm thinking I will have a lonely time of it if no one else speaks English. I might be better off on another route, however other than the Frances, I don't know where I would find enough English speakers.
One of the lessons I learned on the last VdlP is that the difference between loneliness and solitude is connection. As long as I felt connected to someone or something (even if I walked alone for hours), I was not lonely. Speaking in a common language is a great way to create a connection with others and minimize the chance of loneliness. Yet speaking a common language is not the only way to connect with other pilgrims. I've been in many communal dinners with other pilgrims on the VdlP where I understood no more than 10 or 20 percent of what was said. Yet we found a common ground and had a grand time. And the connections seemed far deeper.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back