• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many pilgrims walk the whole way, with their packs, and does it really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg Jenkins

Time of past OR future Camino
September- October 2013
My wife and walked the Camino Frances in September to October 2013 and it was a fantastic experience. It was easy walking except that the roads are hard and even if you don't get blisters your feet get generally sore as a result. This is the main reason you should take a light pack. It was as much a pub crawl as a walk and if you like good wine and walking then this is for you. There were 300 people per day starting from St Jean and most people we met over the 5 1/2 weeks started in France. From speaking to hundreds of people during our time on the trail it was obvious that only a small percentage walk the whole way. Around 80% of the pilgrims we met caught a bus or a taxi occasionally or often and many more get there packs forwarded often or all the time. Does it matter, probably not as each to their own and everyone gets the same Compostella at Santiago. But it is important to the people who do walk every metre with their packs. It is so funny when you hit the 100 km to go marker and you see all the new people in clean shoes, chatting excitedly, as we did 5 weeks before. And definitely worth continuing on to Finisterre, a fitting conclusion. So it was a fantastic experience for us, we many new friends we will have for life and a drinking habit we will now need to break.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My wife and walked the Camino Frances in September to October 2013 and it was a fantastic experience. It was easy walking except that the roads are hard and even if you don't get blisters your feet get generally sore as a result. This is the main reason you should take a light pack. It was as much a pub crawl as a walk and if you like good wine and walking then this is for you. There were 300 people per day starting from St Jean and most people we met over the 5 1/2 weeks started in France. From speaking to hundreds of people during our time on the trail it was obvious that only a small percentage walk the whole way. Around 80% of the pilgrims we met caught a bus or a taxi occasionally or often and many more get there packs forwarded often or all the time. Does it matter, probably not as each to their own and everyone gets the same Compostella at Santiago. But it is important to the people who do walk every metre with their packs. It is so funny when you hit the 100 km to go marker and you see all the new people in clean shoes, chatting excitedly, as we did 5 weeks before. And definitely worth continuing on to Finisterre, a fitting conclusion. So it was a fantastic experience for us, we many new friends we will have for life and a drinking habit we will now need to break.

It is my plan to walk from St Jean to Santiago with my back pack.

It was important for me to walk the whole way, but I know that if illness or injury had delayed me, I would have skipped as much as I might have needed to in order to complete the last 100km on foot.

My view is that a pilgrimage is as short or as long as it needs to be, which is quite a different thing to meeting the minimum requirements for receiving a compestala at the cathedral. Equally, while I have walked I have met individuals who for a variety of circumstances have used buses or trains for parts of their journey. Not only didn't I think any less of them knowing that, in one case I admired their tenacity to keep going even when things weren't going well for them.

Regards,

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

In a word no. Everyone should do their Camino their way.

Ultreya,
Joe

Welcome to this forum!
As far as I know, for the catholic authorities who are entitled to hand out compostellas to pilgrims, you need to walk at least 1oo kms. You need to do this without any means of other transport. Thats is also explicitly asked any pilgrim before getting a compostella. So in fact, this is 'the whole way'.
All the other goals are personal or cultural. As far as I know, SJPdP is not an official starting point, it is just a place that many people see as a good place to start. This is more a present cultural habbit, in other centuries there were other popular places. (This apart from the fact that religion is a cultural thing anyway)

Personaly, the whole camino/pilgrimage for me is to walk from my own doorstep in Amsterdam to Santiago. But I can see that walking from home to SdC has some practical challenges for many people on this forum ;)

In my opinion, taking a bus or taxi is plain cheating to yourself. If you are not feeling well, you can either walk shorter distances, or else take a few days off till you recover and thus learn to listen to your body.

As to backpacks... again, unless you are injured, you should carry your own belongings, because that way you learn what you really need and what is accessory. Also, by carrying your own pack you are free to stop wherever you want, as opposed to having every stage planned; that would not be a pilgrimage, that is just doing a daily walk from A to B, not really a pilgrimage at your own pace.

I think those two points are essential for the spirit of pilgrimage (unless, of course, your medical condition determines your pilgrimage)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When we book out tickets we have our return date set. I would rather take a bus or train that then enabled me to walk most of the way,and certainly the 100kms into Santiago, than not arrive. Yes we would prefer not to do so, but have to consider the time scale and also occasionally (for me/us) an overlong section.
The only time we wouldn't carry our packs would be if we were unable, as we prefer it that way.

So not 'should', but 'preferable' is maybe a better word and not 'stupid' or 'cheating' either.

(Edit:- good to see the post I was commenting on has been edited a little.)

Last edited:
It's ALL good! There is no good or wrong .... . There are so many Caminos, so many reasons, so many people, so many intentions.
First Camino ( Frances ) I walked the whole way from Roncesvalles tot SdC except for 18 k bus ( a medical issue ) , Second one ( Camino del Ebro and part of Frances ) I hopped on buses and trains regularly.
Some drink and do a little pubcrawl, others walk in a more sober way. Again : it is ALL good.
Most importantly : follow your own heart and feelings , don't hurt anyone else. We are free in our choice.
Evenmore : the fact that we can walk a Camino and travel to Europe ( because it cost money ) makes us privileged ! I met some lovely lovely people on the Camino who had luggageservice, only took a small daypack and slept in posher hostals. I would never consider them a lesser pilgrim!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In my opinion, taking a bus or taxi is plain cheating to yourself, which is one the most stupid things any person can do. If you are not feeling great, you can either walk shorter distances, or else take a few days off till you recover and thus learn to listen to your body.
As to backpacks... again, unless you are injured, you should carry your own belongings, because that way you learn what you really need and what is accessory. Also, by carrying your own pack you are free to stop wherever you want, as opposed to having every stage planned; that would not be a pilgrimage, that is just doing a daily walk from A to B, not really a pilgrimage at your own pace.
I think those two points are essential for the spirit of pilgrimage (unless, of course, your medical condition determines your pilgrimage)
The rules that you give to yourself are admirable; your opinion to/of others are less so.

Not sure where you are heading with the above mate.
St JPDP has never been the official starting point of the Frances.
**If you look in a lovely cafe next to the Parador in Santo Domingo you will see two towns shown as the starting point. I will leave these out to see how many have seen this ancient drawing .
To all the 1000's of pilgrims who start from every part of europe Valcarlos was the way , StJPDP if you were on the GR65 [ Le Puy ]
We never received the Compostella in Santiago because we never asked , most of the people who walked into the city within our group did like wise and the only ones we all collected were Finisterre and/or Muxia. We walked on when reaching Santiago but returned from Muxia to have a week in this beautiful city with the locals away from the square.
When we walked from Le Puy Greg we had already done over 1000 km when reached Belorado.
This time we did not repeat the torrid time we had years earlier in the rain and on that crap stretch of road .......we got the bus into Burgos.........and had an extra day with the people we stayed with years earlier....they we very important to us on the original camino.
As Joe has said previously , to each their own camino.
But if you try the Norte, Le Puy , Seville or Arles mate the numbers per day will be under a dozen when walking.

Keep well and get back on the road,
Thornley

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It was important for me to walk the whole way, but I know that if illness or injury had delayed me, I would have skipped as much as I might have needed to in order to complete the last 100km on foot.

My view is that a pilgrimage is as short or as long as it needs to be, which is quite a different thing to meeting the minimum requirements for receiving a compestala at the cathedral. Equally, while I have walked I have met individuals who for a variety of circumstances have used buses or trains for parts of their journey. Not only didn't I think any less of them knowing that, in one case I admired their tenacity to keep going even when things weren't going well for them.

Regards,
I like how you think....At least in this thread. :)

Please do not make personal attacks on other members who disagree with your opinion.

There are strong "OPINIONS" on both sides of the issue of baggage transfer and bus/taxi use.

Your opinion is just your opinion and the others have an equal right to post.
Do not post personal remarks at someone you disagree with....please.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We walked the SJPdP to Santiago route and carried our packs. Didn't care what others did but it was important to ourselves to do so. Simply for self satisfaction and our personal feeling of some sort of accomplishment.

Plus, as is exhibited by others in this and all related threads regarding this topic, it gave us a mock sense of superiority over the folks on buses carrying tiny day packs.
Before attacking on this comment, look above again and see the word mock.

Any sense of superiority, for us anyways, was based on our current feeling of pain and fatigue at that moment and our heat/rain/cold fuelled vivid imagination of being on the bus. We were convinced there were unlimited hot/cold drinks of every type, hot tubs, masseuses, fabulous snacks, and all other manner of luxury packed within the confines of the dark windowed, climate controlled buses while we, the tired and downtrodden pilgrims, slogged through every kilometre. It may also be viewed as.........hmmmmmm........envy?

The reality was that we spoke to all who wished to speak to us and found that they were having just as good a time as us and they needed their relief just as we needed to keep slogging. It allowed them to proceed in their way and all were happy. Some felt the need to explain why they were doing it their way but that was their issue, not ours. We simply didn't care, other than feeling good that they found a way to have the ability to do the journey.

In a similar vein, we never felt the need to explain why we weren't albergue-dwellers.....it was a personal choice that we made to enhance our camino so, if it gave someone else a chance to feel mock superiority or feel that we were less-genuine pilgrims, good for them! :) Whatever it takes to get you through the day....or night.

Remember... "To criticize others is to condemn yourself." Just a reminder of an oft-heard saying on the Camino... Other than the Catholic Church's rule about the final 100 Km there are no "official starting places" for any of the Caminos. However, over the ages - this "thing of ours" has been going on since the 800's, plus or minus a few decades - there have emerged many TRADITIONAL STARTING POINTS.

If you do historical reading on the origins of the Camino de Santiago you learn that the original starting place from which to head to Sanitago de Compostela was typically the threshold of your home, local church, or local cathedral (after receiving a blessing from the local priest or bishop). Bear in mind that this all pre-dates the Protestant Reformation in 1525, et. seq. So, when we speak of Christians, we are speaking of Catholics as there was only one Christian church at the time.

Fast-forwarding to the present day, the traditional starting places of one's home or local church, have been supplanted by several "traditional" starting places. The advent of mass-transportation likely led to this practice. Over the long life of the Camino de Santiago, these places were usually places where several sub-Caminos joined the major Camino Frances (St, Jean Pied de Port), or where one could obtain transportation by boat, horse coach or eventually trains or buses (Roncesvalles). Sarria was likely chosen because of its round-number (100 km - actually 111 km) proximity to Santiago, combined with the fact that it had road and rail connections to major points.

In fact, if you want to talk about starting points for a Camino, 2014 is the 800-year anniversary of the pilgrimage of Saint Francis of Assisi (Italy) to Santiago de Compostela. Significant celebrations are planned for the coming year. While it is not a Holy Year, as was 210, the popularity of Saint Francis over the centuries and the current Pope - his namesake - will likely cause a surge in 2014 pilgrim numbers.

In the year 1213, Francis departed Assisi, Italy on foot and walked north, through the various kingdoms and assorted fiefdoms of what is now Italy. He turned west to walk through what is now the Italian Rivera, into what is now France, and then across the French Riviera, through Provence and across southern France. In 2014, he crossed the Pyrenees into what is now Spain using the eastern Somport Pass into the then Kingdom of Catalonia. Once in Spain, Francis turned west across Catalonia into the Kingdom of Navarra, following the Camino Aragones to Puenta la Reina, where the Camino Aragones flows into the main Camino Frances. As you exit Puente la Reina, you walk through the same, Roman-era portal as Francis. Once out of town and over the bridge, the brief section of crumbled Roman road is the same path Francis walked on 800 years ago. How cool is that! Because one did not ride a plane, train or bus to return home in the year 1214, after he arrived at the Cathedral in Santiago, Francis did what all other pilgrims of their day did. He turned around and walked home. It took him another year. He arrived back in Assisi sometime in 2015.

As regards the issue of "leap frogging" (using public transportation to jump over a portion of Camino) or "slack packing" (having one's rucksack toted ahead) allow me to expand. Unless and until you factually know why someone has opted for one or both of these impact reducing methods, you ought not judge. If you look at the arrival statistics, year-to-date at Santiago, you will see that 61 persons arrived at the Cathedral in WHEELCHAIRS. Clearly, they had at least one "helper" or companion, and logically, they must have used one service or another to make this possible. 'nuff said on that point... One does what one must do to accomplish the pilgrimage according to their own conscience.

I personally had serious foot problems after about four days walking from St. Jean that interfered with walking and required minor surgery at Burgos. I was compelled by infection and pain to use a bus to "leap frog" over parts of the Meseta to get the medical attention I needed.

There are many, many pilgrims who, having faith (of any type), are doing this pilgrimage despite the chronic illness, infirmities, and injuries along the way. Their reasons are personal, as are their reasons for choosing some of the effort assistance methods available. They are not doing this for recreational, social, or fitness reasons. They are doing it because they are people of faith, and over the centuries faith has often been rewarded.

Everyone does the Camino in their own way, as best befits their capabilities and station in life, I am also reminded the Pope John XXIII personally walked at least a portion of the Camino back in the 1950s. Over it's long history, Popes, Kings, Queens, heads of state and other persons or high social standing have become pilgrims on the Camino. For any number of reasons they would have had to have assistance along the way. In the current day, not everyone must stay in a dormitory albuergue to be a pilgrim. There are often very good reasons for staying in alternative lodging. It remains an individual decision - needs must.

Also, not all persons using mochila transport services are "slack packing" (to coin the term) or taking the easy way out. No doubt some are simply on a walking holiday. But, if you look carefully, many of these pilgrims are of advanced age with age-related issues, or have any number of medical conditions that do not permit them to carry loads heavier than a tiny day pack or a water bottle. Yet, who would deny them the chance to make pilgrimage? My own mother is 81, and has one artificial knee. She desperately wants to do the last 110 km, but is unable to do so for a variety of health and personal reasons. However, were she able to try it, I would certainly make use of luggage transport services to help her accomplish her personal dream.

Again, I personally encountered persons with various mobility impairments who had to use mochila transportation or a bus at times to cover the entire Camino. It is not for me, or I suggest for any of us to judge. When I stayed at hostals earlier this year, I regularly saw portable oxygen tanks, CPAP night breathing machines, and even one portable kidney dialysis device! Who is to judge? I am in rank admiration of anyone who refuses to simply submit to the infirmities of old age or of a chronic health condition, who "spits in the eye of the problem" sucks it up and does a Camino. As long as the intention is honorable, the rest is detail and dross...

All of this said, there are still a sizable number of people who do a Camino as a relatively inexpensive holiday, or a five-week pub crawl. It is not to me or I respectfully submit, my fellow pilgrims remaining closer to the the "ideal" of the Camino pilgrim, who they must eventually answer to. In my view, as long as what they do does not adversely affect my personal experience, or harm anyone I am with, I am content to allow them to enjoy themselves. I submit one of the BIG take-aways from a Camino is "live and let live..."

If another pilgrim's behavior, music, or actions do conflict with the more sedate, introspective "norm," there are several non-intrusive things one can do. You can speed up or slow down to put significant distance between you and them - it DOES work. When they stop for a snack, you can simply walk to the next cafe - there is usually always one not too far ahead. That is my personal favorite, especially on the final segment from Sarria to Santiago.

Also, you can choose NOT to stay in one of the Brierley guide book daily end stages for the evening where possible. That avoids the proverbial "pig in the python" result, works wonders to reduce overall stress and anxiety, and eliminates the daily "race for a bed." This syndrome has become a bigger problem lately (as evinced in this forum) and, I suggest, the easiest way to deal with it is to walk a couple of kilometers more or less.

I do agree that for an able-bodied person who can carry their own stuff in a rucksack, and can walk the entire route, they are short-changing themselves by "cutting corners." The experience of walking a Camino is profound and life-altering. I submit that the more you can immerse yourself in the entire experience, including all the inconvenience and effort that entails, the more you will get out of it.

I am sorry if some of this sounds preachy. But, I started my first Camino earlier this year being VERY judgmental of others who did not comport with what I thought should be the "standard" for all pilgrims. Then I started meeting type I diabetics who had to carry insulin, CPAP users, cancer patients, arthritis sufferers, and persons with emotional or mental health issues, and I began to realize what the Camino was TRULY about. I quickly modified my attitude.Luckily that was BEFORE I even got to Pamplona.

Then at Santiago, I was introduced to a man from the Alsace region of France, who had several years back suffered a stroke depriving him most of the use of his right arm and right leg. His speech was impaired. Yet he managed to communicate in both French, English, and "Camino Spanish." Although I know his name, I will not mention it to maintain his privacy. He walked from Strasbourg, France, dragging his right leg along, one slow step at a time. Yes, he had help from fellow pilgrims in the albuergues to get undressed each evening and dressed each morning, and I believe he used mochila transport services. But he walked the entire route by himself using a single hiking staff for support and carrying a day pack.

For those of you with a map, Strasbourg to St, Jean is more than 1,000 km (1,059 km by foot). Then he walked the entire Camino Francis. I was humbled. I cried for him, for his sheer faith, and I felt very guilty that I had earlier sought to apply my standards on others.

Okay, soap box passed on...y'all have a nice day!

"Race" for beds. "Cheating" by bus. "Rules" for carrying own pack. Where we must "start and end".

These seem competitive words.

For many of us, the Camino simply isn't a competition. I like that.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Personaly, the whole camino/pilgrimage for me is to walk from my own doorstep in Amsterdam to Santiago. But I can see that walking from home to SdC has some practical challenges for many people on this forum ;)

You betcha. I'd have to become exceptionally good at swimming and would need to evade many sharks and crocodiles along the way before I even hit land. Cheers to all. We each 'do' our own Camino our own way, and it impacts on our lives at home afterwards in different ways too. Personally, it is still impacting on how I shape my life. Deo gratias.
Margaret

You betcha. I'd have to become exceptionally good at swimming and would need to evade many sharks and crocodiles along the way before I even hit land. Cheers to all. We each 'do' our own Camino our own way, and it impacts on our lives at home afterwards in different ways too. Personally, it is still impacting on how I shape my life. Deo gratias.
Margaret

You Margaret i can say are very fondly remembered by the owners of the many , many alberques we stopped at on the GR65.
That to me is what the camino is about......good will
Whats that old saying;
Ex Libris;
I shall pass through this world but once, any good i can do or any kindness i can show......etc ....etc

And i sometimes thought on those very rainy days .... St Jimmy never carried a pack , was definitely helped onto the horse when encountered and was definitely given the best bed in the house ...lol Simeon.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It was as much a pub crawl as a walk and if you like good wine and walking then this is for you. .

Welcome to the forum Greg!

On our first trip, we celebrated in a fancy Santiago restaurant. An older Spanish gentleman, seeing the sunburned couple work their way thought the roast lamb and pimientos patron, sent a bottle of 10 year old Torres brandy to our table. That was a great finish to our pub crawl camino.

St Jimmy never carried a pack , was definitely helped onto the horse when encountered and was definitely given the best bed in the house ...lol Simeon.

St.Jimmy definitely did not carry a pack. He was sent to Spain by boat, after his head was chopped off.

Everyone will see this differently but I honestly see no point to 'rules' or 'right or wrong' ways to walk the camino. There are enough of those pressures in our everyday life as it is. We are all walking for different reasons. If one person is there for a spiritual pilgrimage while another is there to enjoy all the wines and camaraderie the camino has to offer, then who are we to judge?

Last edited by a moderator:
St.Jimmy definitely did not carry a pack. He was sent to Spain by boat, after his head was chopped off.

Her must have walked somewhere Newfydog
Maybe it was on the South Downs and when spotted given a lift on the Jinker.

Keep well mate,
D

The discussion in this thread seems to have changed. Initially it was how many people walk the whole way, to if there is a right and wrong on the camino and how wrong it is to judge people. At some point also the tone of this thread became quit offensive to Greg, the starter of this thread.

I must say that I do have a problem with that, even a judgment.... We all do do think about right or wrong, we all do judge. We are not equal to 'the holy spirit', and even that one was/is quit judgemental. We all do have ideas about what is right and wrong on the camino. I do judge in my life, in my work. There is a right and wrong in my life.
So all I want to say is, please be gentle to others who judge. Maybe it also means being gentle to your own judgments.:)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hola

Umm.. wasn't sure I wanted to enter this thread, but here I go.
We are all on our own Camino and truly there are no right or wrong.
There are only the decisions we make, which in time makes out our life.

When I started my first Camino in Saint Jean, I knew little of what lay ahead.
I had packed my backpack as good as I could, had decided that I had no end date
and had asked the bank for some extra money.
On the way to Saint Jean I had many unanswered questions and doubt about what I was doing.
I was not sure if I would last one week, but that was okay. If so, I would just go back home.
As it turned out I made remarkable friendships, found renewed strength in myself, both physical as well as mentally and ten weeks and two Camino's later, I finally felt I was done walking and it was time to return home.
Ten weeks of carrying a pack had made me in very good physical condition, I had learned how many kilometers per hour I could walk in different types of landscape and I had learned new instincts as well as to trust them.

On my walk I meet many pilgrims that were challenged with the physical demands.
Pilgrims that were 70 years old and had 50-60 liter packs on their backs.
Pilgrims with dogs and their struggles to find appropriate shelter for them.
It seemed we all had some burden and challenge to deal with, and overcoming these became a central
issue on the Camino. Either to solve it ourselves, or aid others. In that way the challenges could be seen as gifts.
In that way, the Camino mirrored real life as well as it taught us something about possessions and
superficial things.
Maybe it can all be distilled down to a new view on what we need in life to be able to survive or just feel happiness.
Maybe the Camino was just telling us in its own way something about the saying 'Your last shirt won't have a pocket'.
Whether any Pilgrim experience this with or without a backpack, using transportation or any other thing, I find unimportant.
I just hope all will experience it.

Buen Camino,
Lettinggo

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good for you l am an Irishman who will really enjoy a beer or wine at the end of my 25 km each day,NO PROB call that a pub crawl ,or offensive?
Paul Furlong.

I think what's important is being honest about whether you used public transportation for yourself and/or your pack.

Hola

Umm.. wasn't sure I wanted to enter this thread, but here I go.
We are all on our own Camino and truly there are no right or wrong.
There are only the decisions we make, which in time makes out our life.

When I started my first Camino in Saint Jean, I knew little of what lay ahead.
I had packed my backpack as good as I could, had decided that I had no end date
and had asked the bank for some extra money.
On the way to Saint Jean I had many unanswered questions and doubt about what I was doing.
I was not sure if I would last one week, but that was okay. If so, I would just go back home.
As it turned out I made remarkable friendships, found renewed strength in myself, both physical as well as mentally and ten weeks and two Camino's later, I finally felt I was done walking and it was time to return home.
Ten weeks of carrying a pack had made me in very good physical condition, I had learned how many kilometers per hour I could walk in different types of landscape and I had learned new instincts as well as to trust them.

On my walk I meet many pilgrims that were challenged with the physical demands.
Pilgrims that were 70 years old and had 50-60 liter packs on their backs.
Pilgrims with dogs and their struggles to find appropriate shelter for them.
It seemed we all had some burden and challenge to deal with, and overcoming these became a central
issue on the Camino. Either to solve it ourselves, or aid others. In that way the challenges could be seen as gifts.
In that way, the Camino mirrored real life as well as it taught us something about possessions and
superficial things.
Maybe it can all be distilled down to a new view on what we need in life to be able to survive or just feel happiness.
Maybe the Camino was just telling us in its own way something about the saying 'Your last shirt won't have a pocket'.
Whether any Pilgrim experience this with or without a backpack, using transportation or any other thing, I find unimportant.
I just hope all will experience it.

Buen Camino,
Lettinggo

"We are all on our own Camino and truly there are no right or wrong."

Not sure about this statement. I'd say it's wrong if someone takes a bus and also takes the bedplace of a walking pilgrim. Otherwise, someone taking the bus is of no interest to me.

Medieval pilgrims, though they have no special claim to 'authenticity', mostly were on foot. There were however many who arrived by boat from England and the rest of the British Isles. And some bishops and other privileged pilgrims who used horses. I dont remember reading of objections to their journey, but there might have been.

We walked the SJPdP to Santiago route and carried our packs. Didn't care what others did but it was important to ourselves to do so. Simply for self satisfaction and our personal feeling of some sort of accomplishment.
A wise statement.:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think what's important is being honest about whether you used public transportation for yourself and/or your pack.
Why?
Who cares?
Should it be of anyone's concern, firstly, whether anyone chooses to do so, secondly, whether it is public or private transportation, and thirdly, why someone may or may not feel the need to be untruthful about it?

Perhaps the only thing that is unfortunate is if a person is made to feel like they should hide the circumstances where they arrange transportation for themselves or their pack because of an unrelated party making them feel that way.

We are planning on walking with our backpacks the entire way from Le Puy to Finisterre. That's a big part of what we want to do so it's important to us. How it ends up is still to be told. Ours will be a pilgrimage of people rather than a pilgrimage of faith so the time on the trail may win over anything else. We may fall short in distance rather than jumping by bus but it will be a journey none-the-less.

I suffer from gout so no matter how much I'd like to pub crawl I will keep a conservative eye to wine. Beer seems to have become a mortal enemy regardless of love. Hopefully my senses stay stoic or we may loose many days to an acute attack. Something we know we may face anyway. We are planning on using the 90 days allowed in the EU to make the trek so we may be able to absorb such an occurrence depending on pace. We could also never get out of France or switch to the Norte instead of the popular Frances.

It would be easy to try and become a purist but a naked North American would probably be an epic fail in a matter of minutes. I do think that starting with a few goals makes for a good beginning but we will be leaving all expectations at the trail head. What we'd like and what will be are in no competition. Our goal is to not get in the way.

-John

long thread, no surprise!

someone up there said "I had learned how many kilometers per hour I could walk in different types of landscape and I had learned new instincts as well as to trust them."

to me, that is an essential part of the Camino, as in REALLY ESSENTIAL, learn about your body. Again, I insist, unless your medical condition stops you from carrying luggage or something like that.

Really, if you could put a red carpet and a conveyor belt all the way, thousands of people would take it.

I cannot help but feeling those who take buses and backpack services are missing a lot. Walking 29 or 30 stages as per a book is a remarkable experience, but if you do that at your own pace, you will definitely learn a lot more.

this said, buen camino to everyone!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We have completely walked twice Roncesvalles to Santiago carrying our pack( apart from a very short bus ride, 12 Kms into Leon during a gigantic thunderstorm). Also once from Roncesvalles taking a short bus ride. After that we walked the Aragonés from Jaca, knowing full well that we would have to bus a part, but we wanted to experience something different and visit the incredible Monastery of S. Juan de la Peña.
We also did a " quickie" from Ourense, after having served as hospitaleros.
Last year was a complete disaster when we walked the Primitivo, due to my illness. We hardly walked anything and ended up taking the bus from Lugo to Santiago.
What do I want to say? Yes, walking the whole way, carrying my pack, most certainly was more fulfilling, at least for me, than to jump on and off a bus every so often. To walk down those final steps, turn the corner and enter the Plaza de Obraidora , knowing that you have really fulfilled your journey is a very precious moment. Anne

I've done it both ways. The first couple of times I carried my pack the entire way. The last couple of times, I booked bag transport occasionally, and I liked it! On the VDLP, no bag transport. Nor on the Aragones.

The first time I walked, I was VERY judgmental about those with tiny or no packs.
Now ::shrug::: I realize it doesn't matter.

What matters is my OWN Camino.

Last edited:
"How many pilgrims walk the whole way, with their packs, and does it really matter?"

I didn't count. How many?

Oh, it's not a joke....you know like a knock, knock joke.

I don't understand the need for the question. :confused:

It's like, how many drink coffee or tea? Totally irrelevant to the success of one's Camino, don't you think?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There is always somebody with a bigger pack then you.
There is always somebody that walked further.

If you feel yourself free of sin go ahead and toss that stone. Don't be surprised when somebody throws one back

Regards,

Amen!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why should anyone think less of people taking the bus, send their packs ahead etc?

In many cases it shows good judgement, people decide to adjust to their circumstances rather then risk needing an ambulance or having to abandon their pilgrimage. I guess we have all met people with superior attitudes as they 'walked from their doorstep', 'walk more km every day'. 'walk faster' or 'carry the lightest backpack ever' ... this is the same snobbery as 'i carried my bag' or 'i walked every inch' ... I feel it has no place in something as personal as a pilgrimage after all what do we really know about our fellow pilgrims that we can pass judgement?

Even in medieval times people of different classes, ages and means traveled accordingly ... with wild cases of horse and carriage envy I'm sure!

It depends what your expectations are. And what you want from the Camino.

I wanted to walk the whole way, with my belongings on my back, and that's what I did. And it was tough. Really tough at times. But I will remember the experience for ther rest of my days. It changed me, for the better.

Having said that, I know people who skipped large sections, caught buses and trains and taxis, and still had a profound pilgrimage. Each person finds their own unique way to experience the Camino.

To all peregrinos- past, present and future,

Please do not be judgemental and avoid personal attack.

The camino is your camino. You can do whatever you want, for whatever reasons you deemed it to be. It is not important whether at some stages you need to take public transportation or having your rucksacks delivered ahead. It is not important whether you are doing it for religious, spiritual or other reasons. You do not have to justify yourself to anyone.

The only requirement imposed by the church is if you want to obtain the compostela, you must walked the last 100 kilometres or biked the last 200 kilometres. The rule is black and white. You do not have to ask for the compostela if you do not want it.

Buen camino to all. I hope you all come back to the caminos.

I would like to wish everyone a happy christmas and a prosperous new year. May god blessing be upon you all on this festive season.

Last edited:
And seasons greetings & blessings to you as well, Piogaw
And +1 on your advice to all.
Buen Camino
Colin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Enjoyed your posting and didn't find it judgmental. Those who do are reading something into it that I don't think you put there.

When I planned my Camino, I planned it to be a walk from SJPdP to SdC and so it was. I planned to carry my pack the whole way and so I did. I expected it to be uncomfortable at times and, Lord knows, it was. I ended with a great smile on my face, a strong back, and feet and legs that were ready and able to walk another 900+ kilometers.
I'd never felt so good physically, although mentally I was sad that it was coming to an end.

I didn't realize how much I would enjoy the "good wine and walking." The "wine" is a code word for great companionship (just sitting in a bar, drinking alone wouldn't be ANY fun) and the comraderie of shared experiences.

Was I annoyed by the energetic groups racing up the hillsides passing me on day 30, carrying a laminated paper (map) and holding a bottle of water in their hands, chatting excitedly about "the Camino?" Annoyed isn't the word, not sure what is yet. A shrug, a smile, a "Buen Camino," and I let them go by. I knew in my heart that their Camino experience was no where near mine.

I'm sure ;) they thought the same about theirs!

Kathy

PS - When I get too old or infirm to do the Camino the way I did it, I'll probably lighten my load and walk shorter distances. Walking the whole way from SJPdP for the first one sets a standard, I guess.

PPS - I think you and your wife would be a great Camino family to fall in with. Pub crawl!! LOL!!!

I "loved" this discussions on the camino whether you are a real pilgrim or otherwise.

I walked a lot, took the bus, jumped on a train and grabbed a taxi :) and it felt right

Spain is still a free country. If you want to get from one place to another you can do it however you like.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back