• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many Protestants are on the Camino de Santiago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Not aiming to offend to the rule of not engaging in religious dispute, just some gentle number crushing a pilgrim friend and I have done. Conclusion for those that don't want to read the whole post:

"As a careful guesstimate, between 10% and 15% of all pilgrims that arrived 2018 in Santiago, and who went to the Pilgrim’s Office for their Compostelas, were Protestants. Which gives us the following numbers:
  • Pilgrims in total- 327,378
  • Possibly Protestant Pilgrims: ~32,737 and ~49,105"
Full blog post and numbers here: http://egeria.house/how-many-protestants-are-on-the-camino-de-santiago/

BC SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And me in a near future.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On a lighter note: When they ask me why I, as a non-Roman Catholic walk the Camino, I always answer: Saint James wasn't Protestant nor Catholic nor Orthodox, he was before this very sad division of churches. He was just, as he is known in Spain - Amigo del Señor, the friend of the Lord. BC SY

Not aiming to offend to the rule of not engaging in religious dispute, just some gentle number crushing a pilgrim friend and I have done. Conclusion for those that don't want to read the whole post:

"As a careful guesstimate, between 10% and 15% of all pilgrims that arrived 2018 in Santiago, and who went to the Pilgrim’s Office for their Compostelas, were Protestants. Which gives us the following numbers:
Full blog post and numbers here: http://egeria.house/how-many-protestants-are-on-the-camino-de-santiago/

BC SY

I’m Church of England, notionally. Belief in God optional. We’re not especially religious, but would help out if they were short.

Count me - or not - as you see fit.

BC SY

Hello SYates,

We've spoken beforehand and pretty much understood each other.

This time, with this particular post of yours, I'm confused. Have I missed something in your post?

I'm not sure I understand the question, nor indeed, the point you are making, or asking for discussion.

Protestant, Catholic, Muslim, Atheist, Jedi, Vegan, Green or whatever, does it make any difference?

A hundred million apologies if I have offended or misunderstood your post.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You haven't misunderstood me @JohnMcK The door is open to everybody and the hand is extended to everybody ;-) BC SY
interesting in the invitation, in both Anglican and Roman Catholic services I have attended:

" Drink this, all of you..."

My conviction is that this is a broad invitation to all irrespective of creed, and as an Anglican I have never had any issues with taking communion in a Catholic service, nor have priests we have spoken with.

de Colores

Bogong

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My conviction is that this is a broad invitation to all irrespective of creed, and as an Anglican I have never had any issues with taking communion in a Catholic service, nor have priests we have spoken with.

I'd respond that maybe the forum rules don't really permit this sort of discussion ...

I'd respond that maybe the forum rules don't really permit this sort of discussion ...

Never quite sure where the line is on this. But given that "the door is open to everybody and the hand is extended to everybody" and that some feel constrained against taking communion on what is essentially a traditional religious pilgrimage I thought it wasn't going too far.

B

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

BC SY
How many were of no religion?

BC SY

Hi Sybil
I’m Christian and fall into the Protestant numbers..
I am really surprised the % stats you’ve gathered show such low numbers of protestants. So many I meet are Protestant.

Buen camino to all
Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Sybil
I’m Christian and fall into the Protestant numbers..
I am really surprised the % stats you’ve gathered show such low numbers of protestants. So many I meet are Protestant.

Buen camino to all
Annie
6th

😯😮😫 Nooooooooooooooooo Annie 😩

BC SY
I had a winter "flu" jab last weekend and the side effects have been dramatic to say the least but was brought out of my stupor by your posting. Not because of the content (I'm RC BTW) but because of the phrasing.

Your English is so fluent I forget that it's not your first language but the words

"gentle number crushing a pilgrim" at the end of a line brought a smile to my lips until "the penny dropped"

Number crunching is the more usual term ;)

Thank you for raising a smile at the end of a trying week!

Last edited:
@SYates, from your blog post:
As far as I know (please correct me if you have more information!) only one of the main starting points collects information about the church affiliation of pilgrims and that is Roncesvalles on the Camino Francés.
I am aware of the fact that Javier Navarro, a former prior of Roncesvalles and committed pioneer from the early days of the revival of the Camino, collected data of pilgrims staying at Roncesvalles, including their religious affiliation, and these annual lists were published in amigos newsletters. I would be surprised if they are still doing this, though. Times have changed, the collection and processing of personal data are treated very differently now and it is my impression in particular that Spain is among those EU countries that takes this very seriously.

There are people on the forum who did a stint at the Roncesvalles albergue as hospitaleros, surely they would know?

BC SY
Could you also address the following: how many agnostics are on the Camino? How many atheists are on the Camino? 😃

Could you also address the following: how many agnostics are on the Camino? How many atheists are on the Camino? 😃
I guess it can be easily done by anyone using the method described for a rough estimate of the number of Protestants but what would be the point? Is there a need, or a services market if you like, for church space and clergy and church services for agnostics and atheists in Santiago, as there apparently is for Protestants? This was obviously the point of this calculation exercise, see quote from "here": When you start a new ministry, such as our Anglican Camino Chaplaincy here in Santiago, everyone asks the same questions: Is there enough interest in this kind of ministry? Is it worthwhile? Are there enough pilgrims that might be interested in this?

I would guess that the Cathedral's pilgrims mass more than adequately covers the relevant needs of agnostics and atheists ... 😶.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I guess it can be easily done by anyone using the method described for a rough estimate of the number of Protestants but what would be the point? Is there a need, or a services market if you like, for church space and clergy and church services for agnostics and atheists in Santiago, as there apparently is for Protestants? This was obviously the point of this calculation exercise, see quote from "here": When you start a new ministry, such as our Anglican Camino Chaplaincy here in Santiago, everyone asks the same questions: Is there enough interest in this kind of ministry? Is it worthwhile? Are there enough pilgrims that might be interested in this?

I would guess that the Cathedral's pilgrims mass more than adequately covers the relevant needs of agnostics and atheists ... 😶.
Now why the hell would you have a service for agnostics and atheists? Just curious to know.

I’m Church of England, notionally. Belief in God optional. We’re not especially religious, but would help out if they were short.

Count me - or not - as you see fit.
Then please do let us count you 'in'......you are important to God and he does count you. love sandi

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Now why the hell would you have a service for agnostics and atheists? Just curious to know.
Good question, isn't it? 😶

And another question is: Are there never any agnostics and atheists among the congregation of the daily pilgrims mass in Santiago? 😶

And an answer to a question that hasn't been asked: I can only guess why @SYates posted this information but my guess it that they worked these numbers out for their own purposes and thought they might be interesting for others. 🙃

Last edited:

I walked the CF in April-May-June 2018 and met exactly 0 Roman Catholics walking from St. Jean to Santiago. I asked other peregrines frequently why they were walking. I don’t believe these numbers are accurate.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm an Anglican. AKA reformed Catholic. That doesn't make me a Protestant. I take communion, after I've spoken to the priest before the service. Never been refused.

Bully for you! Reformed Catholic here, too, not a Protestant! (We make a mess of bright-line definitions, don't we, eh? :) )

I wear my Anglican Catholic priest's collar most days on the Camino, and often engage the local RC clergy (entiendo un poco de Castillano) in respectful and usually rewarding conversations.... Outside the great cities, in the smaller towns and villages, I have frequently been knowingly and deliberately invited by those local RC clergymen to take Communion! What their bishops might think of that I can only guess, but I am always deeply moved by the invitations.... That said, I always politely decline the invitations. I know what the RC church official rule is, and am much too Anglican-ly polite and proper to break it....

On the other hand: As a direct result of my broadening Camino experiences, at my own parish (and w/o my bishop's permission, I confess) I have adopted a virtual open-Communion policy. If I have erred in so doing, I pray that I will be forgiven.....

Pax, Fr. J

Last edited:
Good question, isn't it? 😶

And another question is: Are there never any agnostics and atheists among the congregation of the daily pilgrims mass in Santiago? 😶

And an answer to a question that hasn't been asked: I can only guess why @SYates posted this information but my guess it that they worked these numbers out for their own purposes and thought they might be interesting for others. 🙃
I am quite sure there are plenty of agnostics at the pilgrim mass at Santiago. There were plenty along the Way :) I am just surprised that anyone would need a separate pilgrim’s mass - protestants included.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Both my husband and I are Church of England, daughter not baptised but has done schooling in Australia since Kindergarten at Catholic schools. Today walking the VdlP through Los Santos de Maimona a delightful old lady directed us in rapid Spanish to look in their church as we walked past and asked if I would give St James a hug for her when we reach Santiago. This I promised to do for her, and this I will be honoured to do :)

I am with @rappahannock_rev and others in classification. Someone else noted that the teaching of the Anglican communion is of the universal Catholic faith as expressed, for example, in the Nicene and Apostles creeds. And I note these same creeds are also said at Roman Eucharists on Sundays.

And I note that the mark of entry to the Christian Church, baptism, is neither Anglican, Roman or Protestant but universally accepted. The words of a Roman Catholic bishop, to me many years ago, is that we all have more in common than just baptism.

So, @SYates , holding you metaphorically close and noting the many times your wise counsel helped me as I was preparing to start my pilgrimage to the Shrine of Saint James, I am confused by why this question is important. And why it was asked.

Especially as the only time I see the term Protestant nowdays is by staunch Roman Catholic journalists.

Kia kaha, katoa (you all take care, be strong, get going)

I am just surprised that anyone would need a separate pilgrim’s mass - protestants included.
Ah well ... there are things that separate some Christian Churches from other Christian Churches and some of them are quite fundamental and one of these differences has come up in this thread. But apart from that, and no matter how one handles this century old issue individually, it's quite nice to go to a service that is more geared for "us" ... difficult to explain perhaps.

I'm not surprised that you are surprised, btw :). There is a tendency to emphasise what we have in common and not what separates us, especially in the context of the Camino where all are welcome.

Last edited:
Especially as the only time I see the term Protestant nowdays is by staunch Roman Catholic journalists.
Again, a quote from the link posted in the initial post of this thread:
the terms Protestant and Protestant Churches are used in this [context] to encompass everybody, including, but not limited to, Anglicans, Presbyterians, Methodists, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Old Catholics, Baptists, United Church of Christ, basically all Christians that are NOT Roman-Catholic NOR Orthodox. My heartfelt apologies to those of my fellow Anglicans who don’t like to be called Protestants btw.

Yes. I agree. Much better to keep religion out of Pilgrimage.

Hello Tony, when I read this I laughed out loud. I mean no offense, but to me, Pilgrimage is about religion and all things religious. I suspect what you meant was to keep religious topics off the form except for oblique conversations.
It is very strange to me that religions so quickly divide humans when the purpose of almost all religions is to bring peace and joy to the world. Individuals are seldom capable of feeling sure enough in their own religion to be able to also feel completely comfortable with the religious persuasions of others.
I enjoy religious, spiritual topics, but understand our board rules and support them.
Walking peacefully as much as I am able and peace to each of you.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
These statistics are not believable to me. In April-May-June 2018, I walked the CF and despite inquiring with fellow peregrinos why they were walking, exactly zero indicated they were Roman Catholic and treating the walk as a spiritual pilgrimage. I'm a minister, so I was very interested in the religious motivations of others.

Hello Tony, when I read this I laughed out loud. I mean no offense, but to me, Pilgrimage is about religion and all things religious. I suspect what you meant was to keep religious topics off the form except for oblique conversations.
It is very strange to me that religious so quickly divide humans when the purpose of almost all religions is to bring peace and joy to the world. Individuals are seldom capable of feeling sure enough in their own religion to be able to also feel completely comfortable with the religious persuasions of others.
I enjoy religious, spiritual topics, but understand our board rules and support them.
Walking peacefully as much as I am able and peace to each of you.
Thanks for laughing, Michael, as my post was intended as a joke. I personally have no religious belief but you cannot delve far into the human condition without reckoning with religion. The history is riveting and the buildings and artefacts are beautiful. We all walk for our own reasons. I love the idea I’m following footsteps several centuries old. I also love Northern Spain.
You sound like you’d be a great person to bump into on the Camino.
Best wishes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

BC SY
Some interesting comments!
We've walked many caminos yet never once have we asked what denomination or religion anyone belonged to........
Never felt the need really
However I was always nosey and asked people where they came from!!.....and makes for better chit chat

I was born and raised a Catholic but lost my faith...funnily enough whilst belonging to a religious congregation....but that's another story!!

Saying that, when I'm in trouble, I pray to Jesus, Mary and all the saints I can think of....and my good man St Anthony when I've lost something ......it works usually if I offer some money to charity!!!!
And I spend a fortune on lighting candles in the churches

My husband is an atheist....and a far better person than I'll ever be, and I do have great respect for those with a fervent belief in their religion
Annette

I humbly wish people would read the posts and links before replying. There's no great mystery why @SYates has started this thread if you actually read her link.
So before you say "What about (me)...? It helps to understand her specific purpose. And it doesn't apply to those of us who aren't Protestant (in the broad sense) or of other faoths, or none. The rest is off topic.

Last edited:

BC SY
Seems to me that in this modern day all pilgrimages should be viewed as being ecumenical. Are you asking the same questions as to how many atheists there are? - you can count me there. Do not think this detracts from me being a pilgrim.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

BC SY
Also A few Jews, unknowns and probably even some atheists

Then please do let us count you 'in'......you are important to God and he does count you. love sandi

Sandi,

It’s a great pleasure to hear from you - but with respect, I’ll leave that decision to a higher authority in due course.

I comment, as often as I’m able, that those stressing about sellos, credenciales and other paperwork are doing self-imposed admin. St Peter (other religious gatekeepers are available) doesn’t need to see the paperwork.

Anyway - this thread is straying dangerously close to bullfighting and other rightly prohibited topics, so best to walk away.

D

What is the point of this post and doesn’t this go against the rules? I’m not sure how those numbers were gathered but believe they are way way off for sure and also in the world we are living in right now can we just stop all this division and labeling of human beings...what does it matter what religion you are as walking the Camino has nothing to do with being Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim etc as we are all Pilgrims, can we leave it at that!!!

Before anyone gets personally offended or ruffled about principles, please know that @SYates works extremely hard in Santiago in the service of an Anglican chaplaincy, and on behalf of pilgrims in general. Hence her query. Under the circumstances, I think it's quite a reasonable question and not at all divisive. It's not at all about who's a pilgrim and who isn't, nor about what a pilgrim is. She's an amazing friend to all pilgrims. Pax, everyone, please. 🙏
(And for the record I'm not even Christian. ;))

I am quite sure there are plenty of agnostics at the pilgrim mass at Santiago. There were plenty along the Way :) I am just surprised that anyone would need a separate pilgrim’s mass - protestants included.

On camino I attend Mass as often as possible.

But, I am not RC; and as stated above I honor RC doctrine and do take communion.

Ergo, as an Episcopalian, USA branch of Anglican Communion, I was thrilled when an Anglican chaplaincy commenced in Santiago.

Next month, I hope there’s an Anglican service in Santiago.

I’d like to take communion there.

It would put a nice spiritual period to my journey.

Yes. I agree. Much better to keep religion out of Pilgrimage.
On camino I attend Mass as often as possible.

But, I am not RC; and as stated above I honor RC doctrine and do take communion.

Ergo, as an Episcopalian, USA branch of Anglican Communion, I was thrilled when an Anglican chaplaincy commenced in Santiago.

Next month, I hope there’s an Anglican service in Santiago.

I’d like to take communion there.

It would put a nice spiritual period to my journey.
On the Camino I attend mass too - whenever possible. Outside of the Camino I am a conscientious objector to all religion and never go to church except to check out the architecture. Perhaps, as others have suggested, best to keep denominational stuff out of this forum.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What is the point of this post and doesn’t this go against the rules? I’m not sure how those numbers were gathered but believe they are way way off for sure and also in the world we are living in right now can we just stop all this division and labeling of human beings...what does it matter what religion you are as walking the Camino has nothing to do with being Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim etc as we are all Pilgrims, can we leave it at that!!!

Because there are liable to be some, possibly many, who would disagree, perhaps even strongly, with what some have been saying, so that some of what has been said is, perhaps quite unintentionally, provocative and divisive.

I am refraining from responding to it ; because without that sort of restraint, that the spirit of the forum rules requests and requires, arguments on the topic of religion (or politics) become inevitable, and such arguments are worse than just divisive -- they're actively destructive. (on the forum that is ; on the Camino they might be perfectly healthy)

SYates' original points are to do with a statistical analysis of a certain group of pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago. They are not the starting point of a discussion about religion itself.

?? Not understanding Michael ?
The point simply is that the Camino de Santiago as such does not end in Santiago. It ends in the Cathedral there, more specifically even at the tomb of St James. To be pedantic and perhaps even a bit brutal, no-one has actually completed the Camino unless they've ended it in the Cathedral, irrespective of their creed, or lack thereof, or what is required to satisfy the conditions for a Compostela.

Also, Camino has a much wider meaning than simply a walk. It includes road, way, path, route, trip, journey, passage etc. So a friend of mine, who was recovering from a serious illness and couldn't walk but did her pilgrimage by bus and ended it in the Cathedral had much more right to claim completion than someone who had walked all the way from, say, Paris but had not concluded their walk in the Cathedral.

The various rule changes, which no doubt will continue, to pander to more populist views could well eventually render the whole concept of a pilgrimage meaningless.

Sorry

Bogong

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I humbly wish people would read the posts and links before replying.
It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who participates in forum threads to click on a link, read some text and open a pdf file.

I’m astonished that the mere mention of affiliation to a subset of Christian churches is perceived by posters as divisive and threatening peace and harmony. Some comments are extraordinary but I’ve managed not to comment on them.

Oh, btw, I used the data from the Pew Research Center to work out the numbers for the unaffiliated from the 15 countries in question. I’m not going to post the result, I’ll just say “lots” 🤓. There’s also a question mark hanging above it all: to what extent do the demographics of the Camino walkers reflect the demographics of their country of origin/residence?

Last edited:
Another Anglican here, so I would really appreciate a service in Santiago where I know that I could take communion.
At the pilgrim mass in Roncesvalles, most of what was said was incomprehensible. The one part that came over in English loud and clear, was that only catholics could come forward to receive.

€149,-
Can you please read the forum rules? Thank you. There’s a difference between merely describing religion related aspects of Camino walking and trying to state religious beliefs as facts that apply to all.
Peace be with you Fellow Pilgrim

At the pilgrim mass in Roncesvalles, most of what was said was incomprehensible. The one part that came over in English loud and clear, was that only catholics could come forward to receive.
Isn't that funny, that's exactly how I remember it. I myself didn't register this as something specifically addressed to the non-RC Christian church-goers in the congregation - I had innocently assumed that they would know in any case and would act according to whatever they usually do - but to all those who are not a member of any of the Christian Churches and who, without these clear words, would assume that it was a traditional / folkloristic / spiritual pilgrimage initiation exercise for all from which they were not excluded ...

We obviously don't interpret everything we notice on the Camino in the same way. 🙃

On the Camino I attend mass too - whenever possible. Outside of the Camino I am a conscientious objector to all religion and never go to church except to check out the architecture. Perhaps, as others have suggested, best to keep denominational stuff out of this forum.
Quite right so do I - attend mass that is when one is available but when at home my atheist tendencies prevail. Think I have said enough now.

BC SY

The original post. Always take the time to read an OP.
Thank you @SYates .

Count me in, too.

I'm Protestant by baptism. Walked in July.
I do respect many believes and religious practices. I attend 3 pilgrims services on my pilgrimage, 2 by personal invitation.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back