• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

How many women 55+ walk from SJPdP to Sant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathie rousseau

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2013
Hello fellow travellers,

I'm very curious to know how many women aged 55+ have walked the 800 kms from SJPdP to Santiago without having to take buses, taxies etc. I am 56, reasonably healthy and fit and it is my intention to walk the whole way. I've given myself 5 weeks. Am I being realistic or should I lower my expectations??

Warm regards,
Kathie
Vancouver Island, Canada

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
kathie rousseau said:
Hello fellow travellers,

I'm very curious to know how many women aged 55+ have walked the 800 kms from SJPdP to Santiago without having to take buses, taxies etc. I am 56, reasonably healthy and fit and it is my intention to walk the whole way. I've given myself 5 weeks. Am I being realistic or should I lower my expectations??

Warm regards,
Kathie
Vancouver Island, Canada

Kathie,

Welcome to the Forum!

As you read through the levels of information provided here you will discover that MANY women your age and far older do the camino without assistance. It is never easy and always a challenge, but we DO IT!

Remember this is NOT a walk in the park! Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that all will be. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much!

Start walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined. Consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure.

As for myself i am a generation older than you and first walked the entire Camino Frances at 65 in 2004. Since then I have returned seven times to re-walk alone each year the entire route from SJPdP to Finisterre and hope to once again this autumn at 74.

if you wonder why read http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/about-me.html

Carpe Diem!

Margaret Meredith

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Definately not unrealistic! I turned 54 during my first Camino, 55 during my second, 56 on my third and this summer will celebrate my 57th although it was only during my first that I did about 900km in one stretch. Since then I have diversified by walking another route and also by working in an albergue as a hospitalera.

Margaret Meredith is an incredible exception but you will find that there are many of us 55+ 'ers that walk the Camino. You are in good company Kathie :wink: !

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You are being realistic.
Many women the same age has done the same. Alone. I myself have not walked the Pyrenees though, as I started in Roncesvalles, but I've seen many doing so.
Good Luck! Buen Camino.
:)

Have no Fear!
It is a challenge, but achievable.

I walked the Camino Frances to recognize turning 50 in 2004.
On the way I met a french woman who was 80 who had walked from home!

Start with a commitment to walk the whole way.
I walked the whole way in 2004 and was exuberant on arriving.
In 2006 and 2010 I got a couple of rides because of blisters.
It took the shine off the acheivement for me.

If you are developing blisters, or tendonitis, or sore knees,
slow down, take time off, change your socks, or footwear, give your body rest.
Then Carry on.

Five weeks is lots of time. Iet the journey flow.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Kathie,
There are lots of 'us' as you'll find out when you start walking-you won't be the oldest pilgrim by a couple of decades! Just start gently, allow yourself to walk into fitness over the first couple of weeks and you'll reap the benefits of increased pace and distance without having caused physical damage, pause to enjoy the view or have a glass of wine...... you have all of you life experience to draw on including endurance, patience and courage.
I walked from SJPP to SDC in Spring 2009 and that experience has led me to taking on other longer pilgrim routes.

"The old dog for the road and the pup for the gutter!"

Nell

I think that the Camino should have an optional name:
THE WHITE CAMINO
Just look at the average hair colour on the Camino. WHITE RULES.
Men for sure, as for women -it depends.

How about "Silver", more elegant, (and I am a Silver Newbie, best decision yet!)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Kathie! My husband and I walked every step from SJPDP to Finisterre last Sep/Oct, and I had just turned 60, so it is definitely doable! There were many pilgrims in our age group. I recommend training with a fully loaded pack, and be sure to include some hills. We both used walking poles also, and they helped so much - especially on hills and crossing streams etc. There may be another Camino in our future, as I still think about it and feel the call to return!
Buen Camino to you,
Linda
(Victoria, BC)

I think that one is as old as one feels! That said, of course as you get older, you should listen more to your body and, if necessary, take things easier! Usually us oldies have learnt to be more aware of how our body is reacting. After all,we aren't in a race, or trying to compete with the younger crowd, mainly because we have more time available to complete the Camino.
I walked my first Camino when I was 65 and have returned each year, the. Last time being last Autumn.
My husband has just returned, after accompanying an " elderly" man who will be 89 this September.
If you are only 55, then you are just a junior!
Buen Camino!
Anne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lots of excellent advice here, Kathie - nothing I can add on that score.

Last fall when I walked, I was 58 and often felt very much the "junior" in the group. I had a great time hanging out with my "elders"!

If the Camino is calling, I hope that you find all the good counsel from others here to be the bit of encouragement that you were looking for.

Buen Camino!

B

Like simply B , at 55 , I often felt like a junior! It's humbling seeing some of the much older ones walking, and not complaining. Best to go at your own pace though. You can get into trouble if you try to keep up with pilgrims 20 or 30 years younger :)
Buen camino

Stats may prove me wrong, but "women of a certain age" seem to outnumber all the other women and girls out there on the camino. These are people who´ve worked and saved and raised their children, who have dedicated most of their lives putting others first. Finally now have the time and resources and wisdom to step out of their lifelong roles and do this odd thing for themselves.

Some of them are truly amazing characters. I have learned so much from them, I decided last year, when I turned 50, to become one myself!

Hola,

Thanks for all your kind and encouraging replies. I'm feeling reassured and like the idea of being one of the "juniors"!

Have been training - walking 2 hours a day up and down hills. I noticed that all went well with my body until the 90 minute mark. After that I experienced all kinds of pain and discomfort from my waist down to my toes on the right side. (I've broken my right ankle 3 times in the last 15 years).

Off I went to the physiotherapist and so glad that I did. She assessed me, then advised me to do specific exercises to strengthen the sides of my legs to keep my legs from twisting inward after 90 minutes of walking. Am doing the exercises diligently and hope to reap the benefit in the next couple of weeks.

I want to arrive in SJPdP in the best possible shape so I don't break my ankle for the 4th time!!!

Warm regards to all,
Kathie

Kathie, great that you're getting your body ready before you go!

May I also suggest a practice of stretching before you walk each day, when you stop for breaks, and at the end of the day. And then be sure to stop regularly to take off your pack, bend, squat, sit - generally just change position from that required by walking. I have recently concluded that the repetitive motion of walking causes a version of total-body-carpal-tunnel syndrome, and the solution is to break the repetition by taking regular breaks.

If you haven't already, you may also want to give trekking poles a go. I use them to keep me balanced when I have the extra weight of my pack.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, Nancy. Great advice. I especially need to be reminded to stretch.

I do have trekking poles and plan to use them this Saturday on a 20 km hike. I'm still at the gangly, awkward stage with them, but should be an old pro after the weekend.

Warm regards,
Kathie

I have just turned 65 and am in no way an experienced walker. I am wondering if I am mad to think about starting the camino at SJPDP. I would be walking on my own and worry about the challenge of crossing the Pyrenees and the prospect of getting lost! I am thinking of going in September. Would it be better to start at Roncesvalles or Pamplona for example?
Any advice most welcome

Linda

Hi, Linda,

I've let the youngsters on the forum talk to Kathie about walking at 55, but now that someone in my age cohort has asked a question, I feel moved to answer. :D

There are plenty of people your/my age who walk from St. Jean. Getting lost becomes a problem in the heavy fog, but you can't really get lost from SJPP to Orisson since it's all on the side of a paved road. From there to Roncesvalles you are on a mountain path, but if you stay in Orisson the first night (highly recommended, whether you need to stop or not because it's a great first day on the camino -- and you will meet people you'll be seeing a lot of for the next month), you will be with a loosely defined group so you are likely to be able to find company to walk with. I know that Margaret walks from SJPP every year, and she takes the Valcarlos route and spends the first night in the Valcarlos albergue, but I'll let her tell you about that.

A lot will depend on your overall fitness level, though there is some dispute about this on other threads. I am in the group that thinks it is important to start the camino with a pretty good fitness level in terms of stamina and endurance. It will reduce the likelihood of injury and will make the walking much more enjoyable. I'm not talking about being a marathon runner or having six pack abs, I'm just talking about being active in your daily life before starting out.

So, my bottom line is that you are absolutely not mad to think about starting in SJPP. Go for it!
Buen camino, Laurie

My wife, 62, and myself, 66, walked from Roncelvalles starting April 18th this year, :oops: arriving in Santiago 39 days later. We met many pilgrims who suffered from the effects of starting from SJPDP. Some had to drop out. We believe our "Spanish starting point" was much better. That said, it is really a personal decision, but you are starting a 5 a 6 week walk. What will you gain by adding that climb?

Linda,

If you are mad then so am I! :D I will be 64 when I walk the Camino next Fall (2014). Right now I am preparing by shedding some (ok, a lot of) extra weight and improving my general physical fitness level. I am also reading anything I can get my hands on about the Camino.
I plan on starting in SJPP and taking the Valcarlos route, stopping in Valcarlos the first night, then Roncesvalles the 2nd. I also plan on adjusting the some of the other stages to more modest distances. I might take longer but hopefully by listening to my body and my good sense I will finish.
Wishing you the best as you prepare for your Camino.

440 more days for me!

Larrydemaster said:
My wife, 62, and myself, 66, walked from Roncelvalles starting April 18th this year, :oops: arriving in Santiago 39 days later. We met many pilgrims who suffered from the effects of starting from SJPDP. Some had to drop out. We believe our "Spanish starting point" was much better. That said, it is really a personal decision, but you are starting a 5 a 6 week walk. What will you gain by adding that climb?
Here's another posting where I wish we had a "like" button!
After so many debates, I still can't understand that an incredible number of Pilgrims want to start from S JPP. Roncesvalles is a lovely starting point and at least, starting there, you get in a few days walking, which is still up and down, but with a larger choice of places to stay, so that you can modify you distances for those first early days. Anne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have started twice from Roncesvalles and twice from St. Jean. In the end, like most things involving the Camino, there's a difference of opinion with strong opinions on both sides.

But I also think there's a no-brainer answer to the question: "what will you gain by adding that climb?"

Stated simply, it's a beautiful walk. And if you are in good shape, it will not be anything beyond reasonable for you. Especially since you have Orisson to break it into two days.

Most people who hike can gauge their comfort level with a hike by looking at distance and elevation gain.

Between St. Jean and the high point (Col Lepoeder), there are approx. 1200 meters elevation gain, and I think the distance is approximately 19-20 kms (?). The total distance between St. Jean and Roncesvalles is in the 24-26 km range. This just isn't out of the comfort zone for many hikers, and if you are one of those, then by all means go fo it. It's a great walk, especially after you leave the road behind at Orisson.

Understandably there's a wide range of ability level and taste among members of the forum, and what makes sense for me might be out of whack for you. But I think our focus should be on helping people understand what that stage is like so they can have a realistic idea about whether it's a "go" or a "no go" for them.

Buen camino, Laurie

I feel very strongly that age has nothing to do with it.I saw people of every age suffering from the same injuries and I saw people of every age doing very well walking very far distances every day.
I think it has more to do with attitude, determination, focus, and way you want to experience the Camino. I certainly don't feel the least bit old at 57 and did as well as people in their 20s walking from SJPP to Santiago in 32 days ending June 30, 2013.Not everyone that age has gray hair either.
I met a man in his 70s on his 7th Camino. The physical difficulties are not to be glossed over but come prepared and just walk the Camino.

annakappa said:
Larrydemaster said:
We met many pilgrims who suffered from the effects of starting from SJPDP. What will you gain by adding that climb?
After so many debates, I still can't understand that an incredible number of Pilgrims want to start from S JPP.
Wrong. People drop out due to bad preparation and execution and sometimes just bad luck. The stage from SJPDP to Roncesvalles (overnighting at Orisson) was absolutely fantastic. The scenic highlight of the Camino for me. If the weather was bad I'd go by Valcarlos of course, but you'd better believe I'd bus or taxi back to SJPDP when the weather cleared to walk the mountain. I would not miss it for quids.
You can do it.
COURAGE, ULTREIA, ROUTE NAPOLEON!

If 150 pilgrims start in sjpdep daily , and only 16 beds in orisson, where do they stay? I walked the napoleon route 5 times to roncesvalles, in 5/6 hours, no problem, I was 60 for the 1st in 2000. Last April 2013 and 7 hours in heavy snow, again no problem, finished in Santiago in 31 days, just climbed crough Patrick for 2 nd time this week in training for camino in sept, fitness, energy , focus key, but camino can start anywhere, your choice , Buen camino

Hallo Kathie,
We learned about Camino de santiago at 56,started in SJPP about a month later, and that was 13 years ago !!! Go for it, take your time, and when you reach Santiago you'll be so sorry that the Camino is over that you'll start dreaming about your next one right on the Obradoiro Square...
Ultrteya
Giorgio

Definately not unrealistic! I turned 54 during my first Camino, 55 during my second, 56 on my third and this summer will celebrate my 57th although it was only during my first that I did about 900km in one stretch. Since then I have diversified by walking another route and also by working in an albergue as a hospitalera.

Margaret Meredith is an incredible exception but you will find that there are many of us 55+ 'ers that walk the Camino. You are in good company Kathie 😉 !
Hi Friends,
I walked my first Camino in 2012 at the age of 67, with Arthritis in my feet and hands. Since then I have walked two more Caminos, Portugues from Porto and the Primitivo from Oviedo; added to which, St Cuthbert's Way,(twice), Hadrian's Wall and this October it will be the Cleveland Way in North Yorkshire, UK. Train well, my Sister, two/three months before, building up to six days a week (rest on Sunday). Buy really good boots at least two months before. Don't carry any more than 10% of your body weight and slather on your feet lots of Vaseline twice each day while walking. Take off boots and socks to air your feet every four hours, then add more vaseline. Everything gets easier as you walk and your confidence as a Wise Woman will support you on the days when it seems hard.
Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello fellow travellers,

Warm regards,
Kathie
Vancouver Island, Canada
I was 65 last year when I walked all the way from SJPP to Santiago in 37 days. You need a few rest days, but otherwise, no problem😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back