• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many?

Roger Hogstrom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2001 and 2006, Via de la plata 2007,2010,2017,2019. CdM 3 times Ruta de la lana (2021
I have walked Via de la Plata from Sevilla to Astorga in 3 different years always in june. This summer I walked from Sevilla to Fuenteroble de Salvatierra ( see under "Via de la Plata blogs) where I couldnt walk anymore, bad leg. So in 4 different years with not many pilgrims I plan for next year and want to meet other pilgrims but not to many :) The info on this website goes from not so many pilgrims to crowded in april and may. Is there a big difference between April and May? Is it crowded? This year from Sevilla we where 5-10 the first ten days, lovely and the next 10 days zero caminofriends.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The info on this website goes from not so many pilgrims to crowded in april and may.
I walked from Sevilla to Astorga in 2017, starting on March 18. I would not use the word "crowded" to describe the route. It is true that some of the albergues did fill up, but if a key stopping point has an albergue with only 8 beds, then 10 people is too many. I would say there were 10-15 people on the path daily, but there could be more - some people stay only in private accommodation and you might not see them daily or at all.

If I were walking again, I would start in mid-to-late March. I would look at my expected location during Easter week and be prepared appropriately. Hospitaleros and fellow pilgrims have good knowledge of the problem points and there are always ways to manage them.

The biggest problem was in Caceres on a festival weekend. Pilgrims cannot expect to walk into a popular town late in the day on a fiesta weekend and find cheap lodging.

My guess is that May would have fewer people than April.

Hi Roger,

I started in Seville on May 29th and walked to Zamora, where I arrived on June 20th.

I did not expect to meet other pilgrims at that time of the year, as almost everybody declared me mad to start from Seville at the end of May/beginning of June. But we were a chaniging group of 10-12 Pilgrims every night, in some places (Fuenterroble, Salamanca, Zamora) even more. For example I met 4 members of a Family from Laredo - whom I actually had already met on the Camino Primitivo last year -, a couple from Mombuey, an Irish Father and his daughter, 4 French, 1 Italian from Torino, 2 other Germans, a Danish , a Swedish, a Korean . Only once, when we stopped at the new albergue at Puerto de Béjar, my fellow pilgrim and me were the only guests. So for me there is no reason for not going in June again.

BC
Alexandra

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Roger,

I started in Seville on May 29th and walked to Zamora, where I arrived on June 20th.

I did not expect to meet other pilgrims at that time of the year, as almost everybody declared me mad to start from Seville at the end of May/beginning of June. But we were a chaniging group of 10-12 Pilgrims every night, in some places (Fuenterroble, Salamanca, Zamora) even more. For example I met 4 members of a Family from Laredo - whom I actually had already met on the Camino Primitivo last year -, a couple from Mombuey, an Irish Father and his daughter, 4 French, 1 Italian from Torino, 2 other Germans, a Danish , a Swedish, a Korean . Only once, when we stopped at the new albergue at Puerto de Béjar, my fellow pilgrim and me were the only guests. So for me there is no reason for not going in June again.

BC
Alexandra
I was really surprised this year to walk alone for 10 days and having the same question from hospitaleros : Did you meet other pilgrims yesteday who are on there way here today ?. For example I was alone in the albergue in Calzada de Bejar. Lovely people who made me dinner and breakfast before I left in the morning . Just me no one els. When I walked there 2017 we where 10 pilgrims. The hospitaleros speak about pilgrims beeing afraid of hot temperature. Maybe thats the case. This year the temperature was perfect between 25-30. In Fuenteroble 74 beds and just me :) Thanks for your info/All the best Roger from Sweden

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back