• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much and how long did you train?

realfoodrebel

Brenda Cosentino
Time of past OR future Camino
Hola! I am planning to walk from SJPDP around August 10. I am giving myself 40 days to complete the Camino. I just got my pack and shoes and have started a little bit of training. I thought I could walk 7 miles per day, every second day for the next 5 weeks. I am a walker and in fairly good shape for a 53 year old woman. I will do resistance training on the off days. My pack is exactly 10% of my body weight.

Do you think this is enough training?

I had a chronic illness for over 20 years and have been in remission for the last 20 months. I am hoping to do this walk in a gentle and serene way. Not sure if this makes sense but I just want to minimize as much pain and suffering as possible. If this is at all possible.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It really just depends on a lot of stuff, IMHO. I've been fairly blister free doing 10 to 12 miles a day for the last three weeks, but now I have them. Considering this, I would say see how it goes. That said, based on my own experience, I've been training for over a month and I still don't feel my body has completely acclimated to 10 miles, day after day. Some days I feel stronger than ever, but considering 10 miles or 20 KM is usually the minimum you will do on the Camino, I'd say you may want to aim for 10 miles a day, at least five days a week. :)

Sounds like you should be just fine. Know your limitations on the Camino and stay within them. Stretch in the morning before you walk and get enough sleep every night on the Camino to let your body recover. Stay hydrated and eat healthy. Most importantly keep your pack as light as possible and choose your footwear wisely.
cheers and ultreia

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Do you think the time frame of 40 days is realistic or do many need a lot more? I can take as long as 50 days if needed. Is it better to just play it by ear and not stress about the time needed? This just adds to the expense of many extra days.

Do you think the time frame of 40 days is realistic or do many need a lot more? I can take as long as 50 days if needed. Is it better to just play it by ear and not stress about the time needed? This just adds to the expense of many extra days.
I would say that 40 actual walking days is a good number. That averages about 20 km a day. A good number. Some places on the CF are quite flat and you will probably walk more than 20 km on those days, and others are hilly and you may walk less. I am by no means a walking machine, and actually kinda slow, especially when my knees act up, and I did all my CF's in 35 days or less (actual walking days).
cheers and ultreia

I would say that 40 actual walking days is a good number. That averages about 20 km a day. A good number. Some places on the CF are quite flat and you will probably walk more than 20 km on those days, and others are hilly and you may walk less. I am by no means a walking machine, and actually kinda slow, especially when my knees act up, and I did all my CF's in 35 days or less (actual walking days).
cheers and ultreia

Mark did you take any days off?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Training? I began slowly with a bottle of beer or glass of wine in the evening. After a couple of weeks I ramped it up to two or three beers a day. Then just before I left I was drinking four or five beers a day. But even all that didn't prepare me for how much drinking I did on the Camino. Thankfully after 200 kilometers, I was able to have a beer at each rest stop, a couple of beers in the afternoon after stopping for the day, and have a bottle of wine with dinner.

Mark did you take any days off?
On my second CF I did, but didn't on any other one. In hindsight I'd probably have taken more short walking days than one or two full days off. The rest days didn't seem to make much difference. At least to me. The short days are kinda cool when you decide to take one. You wake up last in the albergue. Take your time. Get some coffee and some grub and know you will be taking the load off only about 15 km away, ha ha.
I do definitely recommend taking a full day off if you are just plain painfully arse tired, and want to just relax and recuperate. Do it in the right town and get a room at a pensiones so you can sleep in as late as you want.
cheers and ultreia

Last edited by a moderator:
Training? I began slowly with a bottle of beer or glass of wine in the evening. After a couple of weeks I ramped it up to two or three beers a day. Then just before I left I was drinking four or five beers a day. But even all that didn't prepare me for how much drinking I did on the Camino. Thankfully after 200 kilometers, I was able to have a beer at each rest stop, a couple of beers in the afternoon after stopping for the day, and have a bottle of wine with dinner.
I do love those beers in Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hahahahahaha!! You sound like me 15 years ago! I haven't had a drink since! Hope I can keep my sobriety date! :)

Thanks for sharing!

On my second CF I did, but didn't on any other one. In hindsight I'd probably have taken more short walking days than one or two full days off. The rest days didn't seem to make much difference. At least to me. The short days are kinda cool when you decide to take one. You wake up last in the albergue. Take your time. Get some coffee and some grub and know you will be taking the load off only about 15 km away, ha ha.
I do definitely recommend taking a full day off if you are just plain paifully arse tired, and want to just relax and recuperate. Do it in the right town and get a room at a pensiones so you can sleep in as late as you want.
cheers and ultreia
Yes I was thinking of taking one day off per week. Maybe I won't need it but I suspect that I will. I honestly can't imagine walking every day but maybe I will be able to. I would imagine the walking gets easier over time.

Yes I was thinking of taking one day off per week. Maybe I won't need it but I suspect that I will. I honestly can't imagine walking every day but maybe I will be able to. I would imagine the walking gets easier over time.
Yeah, your body conditions itself. Your legs get stronger. Again, know your limitations. A lot of people overdo it and get injuries. I never walked further than my body allowed. No reason to. It's not a race and I ain't a youngster anymore. Even then when I reached Santiago I saw just about everyone I had been walking with at or about the same time.
You will see. It's pretty damn cool.
cheers and ultreia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yeah, your body conditions itself. Your legs get stronger. Again, know your limitations. A lot of people overdo it and get injuries. I never walked further than my body allowed. No reason to. It's not a race and I ain't a youngster anymore. Even then when I reached Santiago I saw just about everyone I had been walking with at or about the same time.
You will see. It's pretty damn cool.
cheers and ultreia

Thanks Mark! You have been really helpful.

I have one last question for tonight. I have John Brierley's Guide but it is from 2011. Do you think this is ok or should I buy another one?

Thanks Mark! You have been really helpful.

I have one last question for tonight. I have John Brierley's Guide but it is from 2011. Do you think this is ok or should I buy another one?
Yeah, it will work fine. That's the same one I have. The 2011 edition and I used it for CF's in 2013, 2014 and 2015. I'd use it again tomorrow.
Besides, the pilgrim's office in SJPdP will give you an updated list of albergues on the CF when you go in there to get your credentials.
cheers and ultreia

Hola! I am planning to walk from SJPDP around August 10. I am giving myself 40 days to complete the Camino. I just got my pack and shoes and have started a little bit of training. I thought I could walk 7 miles per day, every second day for the next 5 weeks. I am a walker and in fairly good shape for a 53 year old woman. I will do resistance training on the off days. My pack is exactly 10% of my body weight.

I had a chronic illness for over 20 years and have been in remission for the last 20 months. I am hoping to do this walk in a gentle and serene way. Not sure if this makes sense but I just want to minimize as much pain and suffering as possible. If this is at all possible.

Buen Camino!
Welcome Brenda!

We took 44 days last year with no rest days but a few very short days ie 8kms as we had a first time 69 year old walker with us. Also we just love to saunter and stop and explore anything and everything. This also put us out of sync with the Brierley stage walkers and gave us a very relaxed walk.

Without knowing your particular circumstances, your training sounds good and on track and your pack weight is spot on. The only advice that I would offer is to factor in some back to back training days with full Camino gear. We did a few of these and walked to a B&B and then came home. It was really useful for sorting out gear and getting a feel for life on the road.

I'm also a believer in tapering off in the week before you walk (this includes your travel) as it gives your body a chance to rest.

On our next Camino we will factor in rest days but more for exploring than anything else.

All the best with your training and have a wonderful Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Brenda!

I also believe that you will be just fine with your training!
Also, remember that it's YOUR camino. If at any point you feel to tired, just take a day off and - why not - take a bus or taxi afterwards to another point ahead if you feel time constrained. Just make it the best experience you can!

All the best!

Buen Camino!
I agree with Ascensions. In our training, we are noticing that once we get past the 10 mile mark, things become different. You should walk beyond 10 miles to see if you have any issues.

Buen Camino!

Hi Brenda
keeping things reasonable is probably the best way to go. If you don't have the need or drive to get the Camino done in the least possible number of days, then, as others have suggested, upping the training only a little will stand you in good stead. Your current 7 miles is about 11kms. 10 miles is 16 kms. Mark Lees has noted that 20km days will work with your schedule. TomS has wisely, in my view, suggested that you might stretch it beyond 10 miles on the occasional training walk. If you can, possibly once every two weeks, walk 12.5 miles, then you will know what the 20kms is like. Practice your coffee and bar stops, that is crucial !
I'm not long back from the Frances. In my case I was doing a lot of training prior to going. That was more than what was needed and there was some muscle fatigue, leading to a small injury, as a result of a lot of walking on hard surfaces. Starting with an injury meant that I did reflect on my training. I realised that I could have cut back on my bigger training days and had a few more rest days. When you are there you will cover the distance, even people who haven't trained will get through, but doing some training is a lot better than doing none. As noted above, your body does adapt. The fact that you have so much time in a day to get your walking done does make a big difference.
Sending your bag on occasionally, just to give your body an easier day, might also help you to manage the journey.
Ultreia from me too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Brenda,
like you, I am also planing my Camino in early August...
I started with training one month ago... first gently with 5 km per day (almost every day), then 10 -12 km 2-3 per week and now I'm on 15 km 2-3 times a week, depending on my commitments
Two days ago, I was doing training of 15 km two days in a row and I'm not happy because my body does not feel comfortable with that (I feel pain in my legs)
before the Camino I plan to come to 20 km, at least 2-3 times a week
This weekend I go to a longer walking tour (small pilgrimage of 42 km that I do every year)

Go slowly and listen your body, you have enough days to prepare, and 40 days is enough for a nice Camino without a pressure of long walking days

All the best!

MelaCro

Last edited:

Buen Camino!

Hi, we - a group of 4, same age group as you, pretty fit - just finished the Camino a month ago. We trained for about a year, walking 10-12 miles every other Sunday. That helped but nothing prepared us for the real Camino. I would suggest that you train with your backpack on and on varied terrain. There a LOTS of hills, even there where Mr. Brierley doesn't mention them. We found that 11-12 miles a day was plenty and after 3-4 such days we needed a day of rest. The most amazingly beautiful stretches are right after Leon in my opinion, so keep that in mind if you decide to skip any stages. Good luck!

In my training - I find that in a day I can cover 20 miles no problem. The next day however...
I suspect the hardest thing to replicate in training is the relentless nature of walking, going to bed and then getting up and doing it again. I am doing some 'longer' walks to get some mileage into the legs - but I am also trying to ensure that I pile days on one after the other from time to time. From what I have read - 40 days should be plenty, including some rest days - but if you have concerns, perhaps you should plan for a couple more.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome Brenda!

We took 44 days last year with no rest days but a few very short days ie 8kms as we had a first time 69 year old walker with us. Also we just love to saunter and stop and explore anything and everything. This also put us out of sync with the Brierley stage walkers and gave us a very relaxed walk.

Without knowing your particular circumstances, your training sounds good and on track and your pack weight is spot on. The only advice that I would offer is to factor in some back to back training days with full Camino gear. We did a few of these and walked to a B&B and then came home. It was really useful for sorting out gear and getting a feel for life on the road.

I'm also a believer in tapering off in the week before you walk (this includes your travel) as it gives your body a chance to rest.

On our next Camino we will factor in rest days but more for exploring than anything else.

All the best with your training and have a wonderful Camino.

Thanks! Yes I think the shorter walking days make a lot of sense. I think your time frame is more in line with mine as well. I don't want to approach this as a race. Just a lovely relaxed experience with lots of time to explore.

Hi Brenda!

I also believe that you will be just fine with your training!
Also, remember that it's YOUR camino. If at any point you feel to tired, just take a day off and - why not - take a bus or taxi afterwards to another point ahead if you feel time constrained. Just make it the best experience you can!

All the best!
Yes! Good advice!

Thanks!

I am a walker and in fairly good shape for a 53 year old woman. I will do resistance training on the off days.
The more the better! Don't wait for surprises on the Camino. Walk long distances on successive days in the footwear you plan to use. Carry your pack to train the small muscles of your back, hips, and waist. Know if your rain gear keeps out the rain (if it doesn't rain, get into the shower with hat, pack, socks, and boots). Forty days is plenty, and you can use the first week or two to get into "final" shape. But don't learn anything new on the Camino (except scenery, people, culture, and food). Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Brenda
keeping things reasonable is probably the best way to go. If you don't have the need or drive to get the Camino done in the least possible number of days, then, as others have suggested, upping the training only a little will stand you in good stead. Your current 7 miles is about 11kms. 10 miles is 16 kms. Mark Lees has noted that 20km days will work with your schedule. TomS has wisely, in my view, suggested that you might stretch it beyond 10 miles on the occasional training walk. If you can, possibly once every two weeks, walk 12.5 miles, then you will know what the 20kms is like. Practice your coffee and bar stops, that is crucial !
I'm not long back from the Frances. In my case I was doing a lot of training prior to going. That was more than what was needed and there was some muscle fatigue, leading to a small injury, as a result of a lot of walking on hard surfaces. Starting with an injury meant that I did reflect on my training. I realised that I could have cut back on my bigger training days and had a few more rest days. When you are there you will cover the distance, even people who haven't trained will get through, but doing some training is a lot better than doing none. As noted above, your body does adapt. The fact that you have so much time in a day to get your walking done does make a big difference.
Sending your bag on occasionally, just to give your body an easier day, might also help you to manage the journey.
Ultreia from me too.

Thanks for your reply! Yes I am concerned about over training and then running out of steam half way through. I also don't want to under train and then shock my body from one extreme to the other. I do think I will allow myself even 50 days if I need it. That really takes the pressure off.

Due to my prolonged illness I have to be careful. I have been trying to build my body up for the last 20 months but sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better to wait one more year before I attempt this. My sense is to just do it and take my sweet time.

I allowed 46 days to walk from SJPdP (plus 2 days to walk to SJPdP), and I wish I had allowed for 50 days. I'm 60, in pretty good shape, and my pack was only 6 kg/13.5 pounds. Besides the hiking I had been doing for 6 months, I walked 3-4 times/week, the last month with my pack. I typically had two shorter hikes of 4-5 miles, and two longer hikes (back-to-back) of 12 and 8 miles.

But, just as others have said, your training does not prepare you for three things: the day-after-day of walking, plus the inadequate sleep, plus the disrupted nature of life on the Camino. Your body becomes fatigued in way you can't duplicate in advance. Problems came and went throughout my Camino. So if you can afford the extra time, take it, whether you just shorten your days or take rest days.

Hi Brenda,
like you, I am also planing my Camino in early August...
I started with training one month ago... first gently with 5 km per day (almost every day), then 10 -12 km 2-3 per week and now I'm on 15 km 2-3 times a week, depending on my commitments
Two days ago, I was doing training of 15 km two days in a row and I'm not happy because my body does not feel comfortable with that (I feel pain in my legs)
before the Camino I plan to come to 20 km, at least 2-3 times a week
This weekend I go to a longer walking tour (small pilgrimage of 42 km that I do every year)

Go slowly and listen your body, you have enough days to prepare, and 40 days is enough for a nice Camino without a pressure of long walking days

All the best!

MelaCro

Thanks! Yes I think for me it will be slow and steady!

Enjoy!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Due to my prolonged illness I have to be careful. I have been trying to build my body up for the last 20 months but sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better to wait one more year before I attempt this. My sense is to just do it and take my sweet time.
Of course only you can know the answer. But my response? DO IT! You will cope, you will be strong, and when you can't, there will be others to help you.

I allowed 46 days to walk from SJPdP (plus 2 days to walk to SJPdP), and I wish I had allowed for 50 days. I'm 60, in pretty good shape, and my pack was only 6 kg/13.5 pounds. Besides the hiking I had been doing for 6 months, I walked 3-4 times/week, the last month with my pack. I typically had two shorter hikes of 4-5 miles, and two longer hikes (back-to-back) of 12 and 8 miles.

But, just as others have said, your training does not prepare you for three things: the day-after-day of walking, plus the inadequate sleep, plus the disrupted nature of life on the Camino. Your body becomes fatigued in way you can't duplicate in advance. Problems came and went throughout my Camino. So if you can afford the extra time, take it, whether you just shorten your days or take rest days.
Hi Seabird - Yes I am thinking I will just plan for 50 days. If I finish earlier I can spend a few days exploring. It is all good really. I haven't booked my flight yet. I really think for me that makes much more sense and a more realistic approach. Yes the day-after-day walking is something else entirely.
Thanks so much for your reply!

Thanks for your reply! Yes I am concerned about over training and then running out of steam half way through. I also don't want to under train and then shock my body from one extreme to the other. I do think I will allow myself even 50 days if I need it. That really takes the pressure off.

Just another thought... you mention that you've been building your body up so that nutrition would also play a key factor in your Camino. Something to consider.

Don't know what travel you've done previously but suggest that you have a good day - or 2 if you need it - rest in SJPdP before you set off walking to recover from the stressors of travel and sleep off any jet lag. It does makes a huge difference.

Just another thought... you mention that you've been building your body up so that nutrition would also play a key factor in your Camino. Something to consider.

Don't know what travel you've done previously but suggest that you have a good day - or 2 if you need it - rest in SJPdP before you set off walking to recover from the stressors of travel and sleep off any jet lag. It does makes a huge difference.
Yes food is sooo important! That's how I healed myself!

The more the better! Don't wait for surprises on the Camino. Walk long distances on successive days in the footwear you plan to use. Carry your pack to train the small muscles of your back, hips, and waist. Know if your rain gear keeps out the rain (if it doesn't rain, get into the shower with hat, pack, socks, and boots). Forty days is plenty, and you can use the first week or two to get into "final" shape. But don't learn anything new on the Camino (except scenery, people, culture, and food). Buen camino.
Thanks Falcon! Yes I need to do my walk in the rain! I never even thought of that! Good tips!

In my training - I find that in a day I can cover 20 miles no problem. The next day however...
I suspect the hardest thing to replicate in training is the relentless nature of walking, going to bed and then getting up and doing it again. I am doing some 'longer' walks to get some mileage into the legs - but I am also trying to ensure that I pile days on one after the other from time to time. From what I have read - 40 days should be plenty, including some rest days - but if you have concerns, perhaps you should plan for a couple more.

Thanks Stuart - It is the day-after-day walking that scares me. I do think I am going to allow myself 50 days. This should really take the pressure off and I can have many short walking days or days off if I need them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Brenda. While all are correct that you can't really replicate the Camino very easily with training and you can't accurately predict the effect the Camino will have on you - physically, emotionally, and mentally- I think Seabird is spot on: whatever problems you may not anticipate, you also can't imagine the care and support that are waiting for you from locals, hospitaleros and other pilgrims. It's humbling and life affirming in equal measure. We prepare physically, and rightly so, but we gain on so many other levels. It sounds like you know how to look after your body. My advise is let go of your worries and let the Camino look after the rest.

Hi, Brenda. While all are correct that you can't really replicate the Camino very easily with training and you can't accurately predict the effect the Camino will have on you - physically, emotionally, and mentally- I think Seabird is spot on: whatever problems you may not anticipate, you also can't imagine the care and support that are waiting for you from locals, hospitaleros and other pilgrims. It's humbling and life affirming in equal measure. We prepare physically, and rightly so, but we gain on so many other levels. It sounds like you know how to look after your body. My advise is let go of your worries and let the Camino look after the rest.

Gigibarry - Just beautiful! Yes I can only do what I can and I must leave the rest to God. I have to trust that all will be exactly the way it is supposed to be. I am so looking forward to the whole experience. I am trying to approach this with faith and a trusting heart.

Gigibarry - Just beautiful! Yes I can only do what I can and I must leave the rest to God. I have to trust that all will be exactly the way it is supposed to be. I am so looking forward to the whole experience. I am trying to approach this with faith and a trusting heart.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well. God bless and buen camino. :)

Brenda, building strength in your legs can most quickly be done using stairs with weight; stairs will build your thighs which will count on going up and almost more going down hills. It will also impact your cardio which will replicate climbing. Walking on flat surfaces can help build your legs, and overall fitness but does not build your cardio and you will need both at times when you are climbing. Also, stairs will help you with recovery from when you do stress the body in the tougher walks. I am sure all will go well.

You have all day to walk as well. The challenge in training is that it is often a marathon of 5+ miles after a day of work.

Here you can get up, walk a while, get something to eat, walk a while visit with people, walk a while and so on.

My training is mostly 5 miles a day and longer on weekends. Keeping the backpack weight down is huge as well.

There was one rain day, I now wish I may have cut in half, but otherwise things worked well.

If you can afford additional time it is nice. It lets you get off any schedule.

Best wishes

Brenda, building strength in your legs can most quickly be done using stairs with weight; stairs will build your thighs which will count on going up and almost more going down hills. It will also impact your cardio which will replicate climbing. Walking on flat surfaces can help build your legs, and overall fitness but does not build your cardio and you will need both at times when you are climbing. Also, stairs will help you with recovery from when you do stress the body in the tougher walks. I am sure all will go well.
Thanks! I think I will add in a few stairs and hills. Not many around here but maybe the elliptical at the gym would help. Squats? Stairmaster?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Training? Not a moment, not a single day.
I just went to the Camino and walked (and I was in my 50ish the first time, not particularly fit).
I think the challenge is more psychological than physical.
Actually, my more difficult time was the first one, when I was obviously younger. Every time I go, it becomes easier.

Last edited:

I took 40 days and was a very slow walker. Also took 2 days off. Play it by ear is great if you can. Be prepared to walk longer or shorter days depending on how you are feeling. And when you feel the need, take a day off, or just walk a very short day. I found it hard to just 'stop'...

As for training. I trained too hard for too short a period and created injury before I even departed on my 1st Camino. So be sensible. You sound like you won't have too much problem and as others have said, there are a lot of variables in terms of fitness.

Obviously do some walking; in the gear you plan to take. But strengthening and stretching too. Particularly lower body. Anything you do, will help.
Most importantly, don't start off too fast on your Camino. Settle into it and find your comfortable pace. You'll be surprised over the first few days how your strength and fitness builds up.

Oh...and one last thing. Be prepared, that this may not be your only Camino ;) I said never again after my first :oops:

My wife and I are talking about 'when' our next one will be....:rolleyes:

I suspect the hardest thing to replicate in training is the relentless nature of walking, going to bed and then getting up and doing it again.

I found that to be the case too. Its hard to find time for that much walking day after day to train for the endurance - you just have to go and let the body adjust along the way. A lot of people that I talk to about the Camino ask how many miles a day I walked and then say - eh, that's not bad. Sure, 12-15 miles in a day isn't too hard - but day after day, its hard on the body. And the body seems to go through phases: First few days are good, 3 or 4th day, the body says "come on, give it a rest - tired of walking" but you get through that and start to feel strong, like you've got this - no problem - and you have a few days incredible days. But then after a few more days maybe you come down with a cold and are kind of run down, but still walking and again the body says "really? we are still doing this? i'm tired. let's go home and watch TV" but you walk through it, take extra naps, maybe have some shorter days, get over your cold and follow it up with several great days where you feel like you could walk 1000 miles. And so it goes. Some days later, maybe you've had a few days of rain and you wake up to another day of rain and your body says"Screw this - I'm not getting up - I'm not walking in the rain again" but you do it - make yourself get up - fortify yourself with extra coffee and go for it, because really, what other choice do you have? This is what you are doing. Then the rain clears, the sun comes out and you think this is the best thing you've ever done in your life and your body agrees - you walk 10 km more than you had planned that day because you are energized and just want to go.

I took 40 days and was a very slow walker. Also took 2 days off. Play it by ear is great if you can. Be prepared to walk longer or shorter days depending on how you are feeling. And when you feel the need, take a day off, or just walk a very short day. I found it hard to just 'stop'...

As for training. I trained too hard for too short a period and created injury before I even departed on my 1st Camino. So be sensible. You sound like you won't have too much problem and as others have said, there are a lot of variables in terms of fitness.

Obviously do some walking; in the gear you plan to take. But strengthening and stretching too. Particularly lower body. Anything you do, will help.
Most importantly, don't start off too fast on your Camino. Settle into it and find your comfortable pace. You'll be surprised over the first few days how your strength and fitness builds up.

Oh...and one last thing. Be prepared, that this may not be your only Camino ;) I said never again after my first :oops:

My wife and I are talking about 'when' our next one will be....:rolleyes:

Thanks Robo! I think I will just stick to my original plan of 7 mile walks every second day and do some resistance training. I don't want to injure myself before I even get there. I guess I will just settle into my own pace and way.

It looks like many do it more than once. Maybe....

I found that to be the case too. Its hard to find time for that much walking day after day to train for the endurance - you just have to go and let the body adjust along the way. A lot of people that I talk to about the Camino ask how many miles a day I walked and then say - eh, that's not bad. Sure, 12-15 miles in a day isn't too hard - but day after day, its hard on the body. And the body seems to go through phases: First few days are good, 3 or 4th day, the body says "come on, give it a rest - tired of walking" but you get through that and start to feel strong, like you've got this - no problem - and you have a few days incredible days. But then after a few more days maybe you come down with a cold and are kind of run down, but still walking and again the body says "really? we are still doing this? i'm tired. let's go home and watch TV" but you walk through it, take extra naps, maybe have some shorter days, get over your cold and follow it up with several great days where you feel like you could walk 1000 miles. And so it goes. Some days later, maybe you've had a few days of rain and you wake up to another day of rain and your body says"Screw this - I'm not getting up - I'm not walking in the rain again" but you do it - make yourself get up - fortify yourself with extra coffee and go for it, because really, what other choice do you have? This is what you are doing. Then the rain clears, the sun comes out and you think this is the best thing you've ever done in your life and your body agrees - you walk 10 km more than you had planned that day because you are energized and just want to go.

I loved this! Makes so much sense. Each day may be unpredictable and my body will protest or tolerate or actually love it all. Hard to say I am going to do this or that. It will all really depend on what my body has to say!

Thanks!

Training? Not a moment, not a single day.
I just go to the Camino and walk (and I was in my 50ish the first time, not particularly fit).
I think the challenge is more psychological than physical.
Actually, my more difficult time was the first one, when I was obviously younger. Every time I go, it becomes easier.

Thanks Felipe! You are probably in better shape now. I am presently in the best shape of my life but at my oldest as well. I do love the suit up and show up and take it as it comes approach!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome. You will do fine!

I trained 5 to 6 days a week for about two months. Most days were 6 to 9 miles, primarily due to time constraints, but I did a few 12 mile days. I also got busy and did virtually no training the last week. I was 60 years old and did not want to slow down friends who I would be walking with. The good news was with the training I did do I lost about 10 lbs and did not need to carry that.

I used the free Runkeeper app during training but not on the Camino to give me information about daily distances and pace. Some of my training was wandering around and I wanted to make sure I was at least meeting my desired distances for the day. A hint: Use the app in Kilometers rather than Miles because that is what you will be tending to think in on the Camino.

Do at least some training with your pack. Make sure you are very comfortable adjusting it when you put it on and take it off (the order that you tighten the various straps can make a big difference in some cases - if you just do them randomly you are unlikely to have the best result).

If you are using trekking poles (I love them), know how to properly size them, proper way to hold them, and how to adjust their tension, if necessary.

¡Buen Camino!

Hi Latecomer- I have been training with my pack on walking days. I bought a really good one and am loving how it can be adjusted. I haven't tried trekking poles yet. My feeling is that I don't like them already. Not sure why. Maybe because it will be two more things I have to lug around.

Thanks for the good tips!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Latecomer- I have been training with my pack on walking days. I bought a really good one and am loving how it can be adjusted. I haven't tried trekking poles yet. My feeling is that I don't like them already. Not sure why. Maybe because it will be two more things I have to lug around.

Thanks for the good tips!
They aren't a necessity, but some people swear by them. I've never used them, but there are some spots on the CF, especially some of the downhills where the footing is dodgy, that having a trekking pole can help you maintain balance.
Anyway, if you decide you want to use them, you can buy a pair in an outdoor shop along the Way. There are shops that sell them in SJPdP, Pamplona, and other larger cities.

They aren't a necessity, but some people swear by them. I've never used them, but there are some spots on the CF, especially some of the downhills where the footing is dodgy, that having a trekking pole can help you maintain balance.
Anyway, if you decide you want to use them, you can buy a pair in an outdoor shop along the Way. There are shops that sell them in SJPdP, Pamplona, and other larger cities.

That is good to know! I was thinking I could always pick up a pair if I thought they would help. I think I just prefer to have my hands free while walking. I guess it is a personal preference.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That is good to know! I was thinking I could always pick up a pair if I thought they would help. I think I just prefer to have my hands free while walking. I guess it is a personal preference.
You can also just buy a traditional, wooden hiking staff/stick if that suites you better. They sell them all up and down the CF.

I think another important thing going about training is making sure you road test your gear. Shoe/sock combo, pack fit, etc. That way you can make adjustments before you go if you want to. Of course you can buy gear on the Camino if you need to, but it's easier if you can work out the bugs before you go :)

This is excellent advice. The trail is not flat, and you need to get comfortable with hill climbing, and equally, hill descents. My wife and I trained for months before our camino, but it took me a while to realize that long walking days with a pack on your back were not everything. We are lucky to have a long staircase to the beach near our house, and I think building my cardio and climb/descent muscles on that staircase are a lot of the reason why we had no real injuries on our camino. A stairmaster is good, but the stairs in an office/apartment building would be a better, and lower cost alternative. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Buen Camino!

Alarm bells goes off for me when pilgrims say just got shoes. You should be breaking them in for last 6 months. You may be lucky as you say you are a walker, I would also drop a kilo or two in back pack.

There is a lot of good advice here. Personally there are 3 things to consider. First, many daily walks to places with decent accommodation are 20+ km apart, for the most part, so your 7 miles a day is great but I would put in one 10-15 mile day in every few training days just to find out how your body responds and to get your body accustomed to that distance for when you need it, especially in about the 4 weeks before you go. You could start with ten and add a mile each week to build up. Second, walking day after day is tougher than walking every couple of days. Your training schedule seems to take care of that. However, I hope you are doing some of your training by getting out of bed and hitting the streets in the early morning, that's what you will experience on the Camino. Lastly, the Camino is not flat. You need to get a lot of hill or stair training in to prepare you for the hills you will experience, especially that first leg from SJPDP to Roncesvalles, which ever route you choose. I am 69 years old and this year will be my 3rd Camino. I am in reasonable shape and today did a mountainous 5.5 hour hike. In a couple of days I will up that to 6-7 hours and keep doing that once or twice a week for the next several weeks until I go. In between I walk 2-3 hours a day or hit the gym. I don't want to scare you because many people do much less training than I do but I have seen many of them have a very tough time in the first week of the Camino until their body starts to become accustomed to the rigour of walking relatively long distances day in and day out. Some have had to quit at Pamploma or Logrono because of stress and strain issues they never knew or suspected they were susceptible to because they had not exposed their body to the experience. Rest days are always a good idea if your body demands it. Remember, this is not a race, it is your experience to enjoy. I know my first Camino had me excited each and every day and has kept me coming back. I hope yours will be as well. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back