• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much cash should i bring

yuling

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to go in later May 2017
Hope it is not too personal. May I please ask how much cash should i bring as minimum?

Many thanks

Yuling

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here is what I do...I usually fly out of Montreal.

At the international airport where I arrive (Paris or Madrid), I use my ATM card to withdraw what I think I'll need for the first 4-5 days of my trip plus a reserve (say 300 euros). Then I use my ATM card to replenish when my cash starts to drop below 100 euros because there may be stretches of the walk where there aren't any ATM machines.

I hope I have understood your question correctly. If you want to know how much to budget for your Camino, that would depend on the type of lodging where you stay, whether you would eat a picnic lunch or have lunch in a bar or cafe, and how much time you will stay in the cities of your arrival and destination (where the cost of lodging and food will be much higher than on your Camino). There are many posts on this forum that cover this kind of question in more detail. I think if you just search "budget", you will find a lot of posts.

Buen Camino!

Tom

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Camino is a cash economy. The majority of places you will pass through (apart from the larger citys of course) are cash only. It all depends on your needs, I found that I could easily get by on €25-30 per day. Some people require more, Some less. As a rule of thumb it's advisable that you always have € 200-300 on you. That should handle any unexpected costs and should cover you at least until the next ATM.

How much? None! Arrange via your bank for a travel card, transfer the approx number of Euros you expect to spend each day then buy 50-75 Euros in cash, in small bills 5-10-20's. Then you can withdraw cash at bank ATMs all across Spain for a fee of E2.2, other banks will do it for free. Others will charge more! Buen Camino

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

At the international airport where I arrive (Paris or Madrid), I use my ATM card to withdraw what I think I'll need for the first 4-5 days of my trip plus a reserve (say 300 euros). Then I use my ATM card to replenish when my cash starts to drop below 100 euros because there may be stretches of the walk where there aren't any ATM machines.

I hope I have understood your question correctly. If you want to know how much to budget for your Camino, that would depend on the type of lodging where you stay, whether you would eat a picnic lunch or have lunch in a bar or cafe, and how much time you will stay in the cities of your arrival and destination (where the cost of lodging and food will be much higher than on your Camino). There are many posts on this forum that cover this kind of question in more detail. I think if you just search "budget", you will find a lot of posts.

Buen Camino!

Tom
Yes I agree with you.

Arrange via your bank for a travel card
Most bank cards you already have will be useable in Spain ATMs. Just check you have a PIN. There is a thread on the forum about six figure PINs and what to do about them, as four figure ones are normal in Europe.

Using a credit card in an ATM is often more expensive than a Debit card (drawing from your checking account): check the rates. I personally don't trust those cards that you buy and charge up with money. I have read a lot of bad reviews on them.

Credit/Debit cards MUST only have 4 pin numbers - some cards have 6 and these will NOT work in Spain.

Do NOT use the cash machines in the airports or bus-ports UNLESS they are very obviously BANK owned machines. I have been conned because I didn't realise there was a difference between machines. The machine I used at Heathrow Airport charged me 30% commissions on the money I withdrew and that the last time I used a non-bank ATM. Pubs often have them as well and they can be major rip-offs.

I take a few hundred that I purchase from a post office or from my bank at home and I make sure I have a couple of hundred at all times in case I need, for some reason to leave in a hurry before I finish - hasn't happened yet.

I have a fanny pack/bum bag which has three separate compartments in which I keep my passports (yup I have 2 of them) in the largest pocket, debit cards and most of my cash in notes in the middle one, and any other small items that are vital to me in the smallest - coders that I need to transfer money from my/to my bank accounts, pen-knife, etc., etc. The bum bag is slipped under the front of my trousers and it cannot be pickpocketed. My coins go into a small leather pouch that can be 'popped' closed and that slides over my belt and my notes for the day go into a pocket for easy retrieval.

I would NOT use a charge card as you may end up without enough money on it which would be a total pain and who wants to put $3000 on it just in case? I understand they may be relatively easy to hack and you've lost your money if that happens. You're safe if your credit or debit card gets cracked/skimmed/stolen - your bank should cover you with their insurance if that happens.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Buen Camino!

Tom
Does the recommended 300€ apply to a couple as well? I would assume we will need to bring a bit more as we will both be needing lodging and food.

Does the recommended 300€ apply to a couple as well? I would assume we will need to bring a bit more as we will both be needing lodging and food.
For two people you will go through twice as much, or twice as fast! So it depends on how comfortable you are about running low on money, and how expensive your food and lodging choices are.

If you are staying in albergues, you pay by the person. If you are staying in private accommodation, a room for two people will typically cost at least as much as 2 people in the albergue.

So, Euros 300 would last 2 people perhaps 5 days, but that would bring down you to zero. That is not a good plan, as who knows where the next bank machine will be or whether you'll have some problem with it!

I like to keep 100 Euros (including some smaller bills no bigger than 20) reserved for "emergency" use and stored safely close to my body. Once I get down to that, I make serious efforts to find a bank machine. So, I take out 300 Euros at a time and try to never spend the 100 Euro reserve. Other people prefer to carry less. In any case, it is best to keep most of the money in a safe and secure place, removing just enough for each day's needs.

Credit/Debit cards MUST only have 4 pin numbers - some cards have 6 and these will NOT work in Spain.
That's not true. Most European banks issue cards with 4 digit codes but their ATMs are smart enough to get your bank to verify your PIN number, whether it has 4, 6 or 32 digits. What Europeans do with their debit cards has nothing to do with bank customers or debit cards in the rest of the world.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
ATM in Spain has no charge?

That really depends on what kind of 'relationship' your bank has with the Spanish bank whose ATM you use, so you need to ask your own bank. Many US pilgrims like to use cards from Charles Schwab bank (spelling?) as they refund any fees that might occur. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That really depends on what kind of 'relationship' your bank has with the Spanish bank whose ATM you use, so you need to ask your own bank. Many US pilgrims like to use cards from Charles Schwab bank (spelling?) as they refund any fees that might occur. Buen Camino, SY
I also use Schwab, but there are other banks that refund fees. Some Spanish banks do not have ATM fees: iberCaja is one such. One in Los Arcos (wish I could remember the name) asked for approval for a €2.50 fee. I approved it, and it printed a receipt that had that fee AND a huge "commission."

Also, if you use a card for a purchase, you should be asked whether you want to pay in Euro or your home currency. Pick Euro and let your bank do the conversion at a much better rate than the store will give. And if you can, don't let the sneaky ones make the choice for you.

However much money you decide to carry, split it into at least two sepaerate places. A small amount for daily expenses in your wallet/purse and the larger bit tucked safely tucked away. I'm not terribly worried about banditos or pickpockets but it is oh so easy to walk off and leave your wallet on the bar, at the checkout counter of a supermarket, on the table at dinner. A money belt if you must, alongside your passport pouch, deep in your backpack where ever but split the sum. Same goes with credit cards, take two and split them up, one for using and one for emergencies say the ATM swallows your card on a Saturday afternoon

Like others, I never take euros with me from home.
I simply find an ATM at the airport in Madrid (or wherever I land) and get them from an ATM there.
I generally pull out 300 euros at a time - that lasts me up to 2 weeks depending on my lodging.
When I get down to about 40 euros I pull out more.
MOST larger villages will have a place to get euros, and it's rarely more than a couple of days between ATMs.

I carry a Charles Schwab ATM card because they reimburse ALL my fees at the end of each month.
I open a checking account with them just for this purpose, keeping my private account separate.
Also, I never have failed to get a human being quickly with Charles Schwab when I've called customer service.
It's not a brick/mortar bank - it's online
I love it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I carry a Charles Schwab ATM card because they reimburse ALL my fees at the end of each month. I open a checking account with them just for this purpose, keeping my private account separate. Also, I never have failed to get a human being quickly with Charles Schwab when I've called customer service.
I agree! Though I have had to argue with them on a couple of minor things, they're great. But I recommend having two or more cards from separate banks. Because sometimes the bank's computers crash, too.

I agree! Though I have had to argue with them on a couple of minor things, they're great. But I recommend having two or more cards from separate banks. Because sometimes the bank's computers crash, too.

Interesting.
I haven't ever had my bank card not work.
But if you're comfortable carrying more - by all means do it :)

Interesting.
I haven't ever had my bank card not work.
But if you're comfortable carrying more - by all means do it :)
When I was getting ready to retire and travel, I opened the second account, but the card did not arrive before I left. One day I went to two different ATMs (different banks) and both said the transaction could not be completed. This year, one card expired while I was in Spain, and another was blocked because some idiot was trying to use the number in USA. Left me with a debit card, which was OK except that car rental places refused to accept it and one day I left it at a grocery store. Twice I chased pilgrims on bicycle to give them wallets they had left in our albergue. Then there's the possibility of loss, or of pickpockets (I've foiled three attempts of pickpockets). So I have four cards, two wallets, one wallet in each front pocket, and I've still experienced Murphy's law.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just an update to my original post....

I followed my own advice and withdrew 500 euros in Charles de Gaulle airport. 500 euros because I would be in Paris for 3 days and Paris is much more expensive than walking any Camino route. When I arrived in Pamplona, I tried multiple times to withdraw more cash - no luck. I knew my ATM card would work and it did so in Puente la Reina at a Santander Bank. I cannot explain this...my ATM card needs a European bank that is affiliated with VISA. Maybe the banks I tried in Pamplona lacked this affiliation. I later made several more withdrawals without any problems.

There are several Santander branches in Pamplona, I just didn't happen by one. Two are located just south of the Plaza del Castillo.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back