• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much cash to carry?

holborn

Hi,

I hope to start my Camino (Camino Frances) from Burgos on Sept 1st 2013. I was wondering how much cash I should carry with me. I have heard that there are some towns where ATMs are hard to come by. I would be grateful for any advise.

Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the Forum holborn!

You can find ATMs on the Camino Frances between Burgos and Santiago AT LEAST in following towns:
Fromista
Carrion de los Condes
Sahagun
Leon
Astorga
Ponferrada
Villafranca del Bierzo
Triacastela
Sarria
Portomarin
Palas de Rei
Melide
Arzua.

So no worries.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I carried at minimum 100 Euros. I would recommend that you travel from home with at least that much in folding money in Euros. I once landed at Malaga and the ATMs, at the airport only, were out of order. I once landed at Buenoes Aires and spent an hour in a line up at the ATM, otherwise unable to pay for a bus fare.

The bus driver at Biarritz was annoyed because I could only pay the 1 Euro fare with a 20 Euro note.

I usually drew the maximum the machine would allow to reduce bank fees. 300 - 500 Euro. Enough for ten or twelve days.

Every town large enough to have a grocery store had a bank with ATM. So very rarely three days maybe between ATMs.

The more remote sections would be between: Astorga and Ponferrada; Villa Franca(Galacia) and Sarria; Santiago and Fisterra. There were some remote places between Burgos and Leon too. There may have been ATMs in some of these places but I didn't have need and wasn't looking.

The small stores and Albergues like small bills.

When you first arrive into Spain, I'd recommend withdrawing 300 euros from the first ATM you come to (hopefully at the airport). Then take one 20 euro note and tuck it somewhere in your pack, at the bottom, or in an unlikely place (just be sure to remember where you put it!). That way, if you find yourself running low on euros without an ATM in your current town, you won't need to panic.

Then I would recommend keeping your total cash stash at around 200 euros. Of that, I'd keep just a two to three days budget in your 'front wallet', whatever that might be - a pocket or small wallet/coin purse.

Once your cash stash reaches 40 euros, or your two-day budget amount, start looking for that next ATM.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I never carried more than about 160 euros at a time--this would last me 4 0r 5 days. This of course makes to dependent upon ATMs--so you will need a backup plan just in case your card fails--gets eaten by a machine etc. Mine was eaten twice by a machine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree - somewhere between 150-200 euro. Ask yourself how much can you afford to lose and still be able to continue your camino.

Every morning I put about 10 euros in change in my pants pocket for the walk. That way when I stopped for food/coffee I did not have to pull out my money belt.

Last edited:
Being robbed face to face is much rarer than losing something from unattended packs. Thieves know where the hidden pockets are in backpacks, so anything in them can disappear when you back is turned. Pickpockets are rare, limited to big cities and train/bus stations. Spreading your money around locations on your body is a good idea. It also keeps money from slipping out of an unzipped or unbuttoned pocket.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree with Nancy. I carry between 200 and 300 euros.
I also agree with Falcon. I spread it around.
Much of it goes into a money belt that lives inside my clothes and hangs from my belt.
But I always keep half elsewhere.
I only carry "today's money" in my little change purse and I never ever EVER get into my money belt in public.

300 seems ok, then replenish at 150. It'll be cold out still in April so its better that you have spare cash. I met a pair of twins who couldn't find a compatible ATM at 7pm (they were unable to get a place to sleep I suppose) so they had to walk to the next town where there was an ATM. I did offer but they said they can still walk to the next town.

Everyone's tolerance level for carrying cash is different. There are no bad answers to this question. The idea of carrying cash in multiple locations is a good one. I usually carry 100 Euro's in small bills in zipped pants pocket. I also carry a larger amount in a money pouch around my neck. When my pocket money gets to 20 euro's I break a large bill in a grocery store or the equivalent, if possible. Keep in mind there are fees for using ATM's and currency exchange. These fees add up if you are using an ATM every few days. There are a number of cards that minimize these costs. this subject is covered in another thread.

Ultreya,
Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Everyone's tolerance level for carrying cash is different. There are no bad answers to this question. The idea of carrying cash in multiple locations is a good one. I usually carry 100 Euro's in small bills in zipped pants pocket. I also carry a larger amount in a money pouch around my neck. When my pocket money gets to 20 euro's I break a large bill in a grocery store or the equivalent, if possible. Keep in mind there are fees for using ATM's and currency exchange. These fees add up if you are using an ATM every few days. There are a number of cards that minimize these costs. this subject is covered in another thread.

Ultreya,
Joe

We used a Charles Schwab debit card. We opened an account with them specifically for the Camino. That way, it was not tied to any of our other bank accounts. There are NO ATM fees (they reimburse them all at the end of the month), and no international exchange fees. They were even VERY helpful when my card got eaten by that nasty ATM machine (luckily we still had my wife's card), but the would have overnighted a new card to me if needed. Great to deal with!!

Jim

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great info Jim.
Thanks! Actually learned about that card on this forum, just thought it was worth mentioning again.

By the way, I wanted to mention earlier that I laugh every time I see your icon. Saw it on the forums before we went on Camino, then when I saw while we were walking, I just busted up laughing. Told my wife, "Hey I saw that stop sign on the forums :)"

Hi, I noticed a great concern about money on the Camino. Has anyone been actually robbed or mugged on the track, or had his/hers money stolen in an albergue?

You don't need to be robbed.

You can lose / forget your wallet.

Many of the people here don't come from Euro countries so the bills are unfamiliar. Easy enough to hand the wrong denomination.

If you only carry a bit of cash then you can only lose a bit.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Check with your local banks, My bank in New Mexico can get me all the EUROS I want at no charge(probably because I have an account), take 250 to 350 with you to start and you won"t have to worry for a week or two.

I usually carry about 200€ with me. Where possible I use an ATM when the bank is open. If that's not a possibility, I only withdraw if the bank is going to be open in the morning.

That means I always make sure I have enough cash to tide me over the weekend so I can avoid using an ATM. Why? because an ATM swallowed my card in Astorga and I had to present myself at the bank when it opened the next morning. Met a very nice cyclist there for the same reason so I'm not the only one it has happened to.

We used a Charles Schwab debit card. We opened an account with them specifically for the Camino. That way, it was not tied to any of our other bank accounts. There are NO ATM fees (they reimburse them all at the end of the month), and no international exchange fees. They were even VERY helpful when my card got eaten by that nasty ATM machine (luckily we still had my wife's card), but the would have overnighted a new card to me if needed. Great to deal with!!

Jim

Excellent idea, ManyMiles. My husband and I did the same thing but with my credit union account. Since its a small organization the customer service was great and we had no problems withdrawing money from Spanish ATM's.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One thing not mentioned on this thread is the use of credit cards instead of using an ATM and paying in cash. I haven't walked the Frances in years, but one thing I have definitely noticed on many of the lesser traveled caminos is the increasing number of stores, bars, pensiones, and restaurants that accept credit cards, even in very small towns. I have been told that you get a better rate on credit card transactions than ATM withdrawals. I try to always have at least 100 euros cash but use my credit card whenever possible. This cuts down on the ATM visits.

In fact, last year on the Levante, which is 1200 km from Valencia, I only used an ATM four times. The rest was on a credit card.

I also carried about 200 euros and had no problem finding ATMs in the bigger cities. Make sure you let your bank know you will be in Spain so you don't have a problem at ATMs.

I have been told that you get a better rate on credit card transactions than ATM withdrawals.
It depends on the bank. I use a cash card preloaded with euros. When the $AU was high, I took the opportunity to load the card with enough for my last trip. As is normal, you pay a conversion fee in the first place but there is no ATM charge attached to the card. The bank that owns the ATM may charge but, if that's the case, there will be a message on the screen to that effect before you finalise the withdrawal. It's a MasterCard so it also works anywhere that credit is available.

I like this system because I'm working in the local currency rather than paying a foreign currency conversion fee every time I spend money. It also means I can preload it when the exchange rate is favourable.

By the way, this wasn't the card that was swallowed. That was an unfortunate misunderstanding that had a happy outcome so no harm was done to me, my card or the reputation of the bank.

Hi, I noticed a great concern about money on the Camino. Has anyone been actually robbed or mugged on the track, or had his/hers money stolen in an albergue?

Yes. Rare but it happens ... just like in real life.

Incident on Via del Plata was reported here last year. See the thread.

All the above are good tips and true. Definitely stash some cash 'elsewhere' so that if you do lose your money you have a backup, and definitely never open/reveal your main 'stash' in public.

If you get large bank notes from an atm then go and buy something cheap from a supermarket with the largest denomination note (they don't care about large notes) so that you then have change and small notes.

If you are in the UK I would recommend getting a Post Office credit card as there are no transaction fees for using it abroad. I use one of those for purchases, and my French bank account card, which is in Euros, for withdrawals when 'over there'.

I seem to remember other posts on the forum that suggested that some American cards could be a problem with atm's as they have a different number of numbers on the pin? I may be wrong (I usually am).

All the above are good tips and true. Definitely stash some cash 'elsewhere' so that if you do lose your money you have a backup, and definitely never open/reveal your main 'stash' in public.

If you get large bank notes from an atm then go and buy something cheap from a supermarket with the largest denomination note (they don't care about large notes) so that you then have change and small notes.

If you are in the UK I would recommend getting a Post Office credit card as there are no transaction fees for using it abroad. I use one of those for purchases, and my French bank account card, which is in Euros, for withdrawals when 'over there'.

I seem to remember other posts on the forum that suggested that some American cards could be a problem with atm's as they have a different number of numbers on the pin? I may be wrong (I usually am).
yes - the atm numbers are different to those in Australia and New Zealand too! I was with a Kiwi girl who was frustrated her card wasn't working until she noticed she was punching in her numbers on autopilot and not looking!! Luckily she noticed before the machine swallowed her card!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We used a Charles Schwab debit card. We opened an account with them specifically for the Camino. There are NO ATM fees (they reimburse them all at the end of the month), and no international exchange fees. Jim
Charles Schwab tell me they are only available for US citizens who intend to be outside the US for less than 6 months.
Regds
Gerard

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greetings. Wondering what the best kind of credit card is to carry from the US to Spain? regular Visa credit card, pre-loaded credit card or debit card? Thanks for your advice.
Don & Steve; Corrales, New Mexico

Check with your local banks, My bank in New Mexico can get me all the EUROS I want at no charge(probably because I have an account), take 250 to 350 with you to start and you won"t have to worry for a week or two.
Hey Ryan, Don here from Corrales. Gone yet or going? Steve and I leave May 1 for 200 km from Ponferrada to Santiago.

Greetings. Wondering what the best kind of credit card is to carry from the US to Spain? regular Visa credit card, pre-loaded credit card or debit card? Thanks for your advice.

Bring a regular Visa card for credit purchases and a debit card/ATM card to get cash from cash machines. Pre-loaded cards are generally a pretty bad deal for Americans - the ones available to us are filled with fees and bad exchange rates.

When I travel overseas, and it will be the same for the Camino, I bring 2 credit cards and an ATM card. I have PINs for my credit cards also, which I can use as a backup to get cash from ATMs if something happens to my ATM card, but that is as a backup since the fees associated with using a credit card to get cash are usually higher.

Bring a regular Visa card for credit purchases and a debit card/ATM card to get cash from cash machines. Pre-loaded cards are generally a pretty bad deal for Americans - the ones available to us are filled with fees and bad exchange rates.

When I travel overseas, and it will be the same for the Camino, I bring 2 credit cards and an ATM card. I have PINs for my credit cards also, which I can use as a backup to get cash from ATMs if something happens to my ATM card, but that is as a backup since the fees associated with using a credit card to get cash are usually higher.
Gracias everyone!
Don, Nuevo Mexico!

I am not aware of anyone being robbed, assaulted or even accosted on the Camino. I felt completely safe in Spain and especially safe on the Camino. Most of the people who live along the Camino respect the act of pilgrimage. I never worried about leaving my backpack outside a café, church or other location when I walked inside. However, I always carried my cell phone, passport, wallet, pilgrim's credential and cash on my person for peace of mind.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One thing not mentioned on this thread is the use of credit cards instead of using an ATM and paying in cash. I haven't walked the Frances in years, but one thing I have definitely noticed on many of the lesser traveled caminos is the increasing number of stores, bars, pensiones, and restaurants that accept credit cards, even in very small towns. I have been told that you get a better rate on credit card transactions than ATM withdrawals. I try to always have at least 100 euros cash but use my credit card whenever possible. This cuts down on the ATM visits.

In fact, last year on the Levante, which is 1200 km from Valencia, I only used an ATM four times. The rest was on a credit card.
I used a mix of cash and credit cards last year. The cash was at smaller venues - bars; albergues etc. The credit card was used to purchase bus/train tickets / hotels; oh and also major tourist stuff to take home.
I agree with separating the cash into two or three lots - pockets / money belt / hidden in backpack.
Cheers:)

Carry some euro bills in small denominations; breaking a 50 euro bill in a remote village can be impossible especially out of tourist season! However, gas stations will often make change even if you don't buy gas!

MM

I am not aware of anyone being robbed, assaulted or even accosted on the Camino. I felt completely safe in Spain and especially safe on the Camino. Most of the people who live along the Camino respect the act of pilgrimage. I never worried about leaving my backpack outside a café, church or other location when I walked inside. However, I always carried my cell phone, passport, wallet, pilgrim's credential and cash on my person for peace of mind.

The Camino is no different from anywhere else in the world,
in terms of theft!
There are many cases of stolen backpacks and gear left unattended.
Use the same care you would anywhere else.
I would strongly advise not leaving your backpack or other gear on the street in front of a bar or anywhere else.
Unless, of course, you would do that where you live and trust to luck that no evil doers will pass by. :)

The Camino is no different from anywhere else in the world,
in terms of theft!
There are many cases of stolen backpacks and gear left unattended.
Use the same care you would anywhere else.
I would strongly advise not leaving your backpack or other gear on the street in front of a bar or anywhere else.
Unless, of course, you would do that where you live and trust to luck that no evil doers will pass by. :)

We used to leave our packs outside the bar until a dog peed on my husband's pack. Spent a long time with soap and water and never left them outside again.

I have heard reports of theft too. I haven't heard of muggings or anything like that, but I have heard about theft of gear, money, and electronics. It seems to me that because walking the Camino is relatively safe and because of the communal living and camaraderie, people are probably more apt to let their guard down than they would be anywhere else. So they leave their stuff laying around and if a thief comes along, it would be easy pickings.

I carried €350 cash and a prepaid credit card with €600 on it. I could use it as a credit card or debit card. Regularly left my bags and poles and occasionally my boots outside bars. Only problem I ever had was a red squirrel climbing up onto my bag and refusing to get off :)

€83,-
Coming from the US, this is concern of mine. Is it possible for me to find a prepaid card at the start of the Camino for me? Concerned also about the atm fees. Any ideas or suggestions?
Kris

Is it possible for me to find a prepaid card at the start of the Camino for me? Concerned also about the atm fees. Any ideas or suggestions?

I am from the US too. There are pre-paid cards available in the US that you could take, but the fees make them a really bad deal for us. If you were to buy a pre-paid card in Spain, you'd have to get money to fund it - either from a credit card or using cash - and if you are going to get cash or use a credit card to buy a pre-paid card in Spain, then you may as well skip the pre-paid card entirely (and the associated fees) and just use cash or credit card to pay your expenses directly.

The bottom line is that there will almost always be some sort of fee associated with converting money. The key is to limit the fees. Here is what I do:

1. Cash for day-to-day expenses - food, incidentals, hostels, etc. - use my ATM card. My bank is probably the worst bank for foreign transaction fees in that they charge a $5 per transaction fee and 3% above the interbank exchange rate for the conversion from USD to Euro. Still, this is much cheaper than exchanging currency or using a pre-paid card. To minimize the fees, I take out the equivalent of USD 200-300 at a time - that way my ATM fee works out to about 2%. The Spanish banks don't charge a fee, so your fees are entirely based on what your own bank charges.

2. For larger purchases - hotel, rental car, some train tickets, etc. - Use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees. Capital One is a popular no-transaction fee card. I have one with Chase affiliated with United Airlines because it also comes with airline perks, but that is because I fly a lot. If you use a card that charges a fee, it will likely be a small percentage - still cheaper than a pre-paid card.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Perhaps we should open a Templar style bank in France and Spain for Camino pilgrims. :rolleyes: On my first Camino I carried way too much cash in various pockets and I learned later after several stories about thievery that there are not enough places to keep your money safe. I now know there are enough ATM's across Spain to make your trip safe and there is no need to carry more than 300 Euros.
BTW The rate you pay for withdrawing money is all relative, I live in France and I get ripped off with fees every month by my US and French bank along with having to pay a horrible exchange rate. Suck it up!

What is the least offensive way (more than one would be great?) to break a €100 note?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What is the least offensive way (more than one would be great?) to break a €100 note?
Monya,

Good ways would be to buy food supplies or eat in a restaurant. Carrying two 50's is better than a single €100 note. Try to always carry some bills in small denominations; breaking a 50 euro bill in a remote village can be impossible! However, gas stations will often make change even if you don't buy gas!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I get round the problem of large denomination notes by only drawing €80 from the ATM at a time - you (almost) always then get 4 twenties.

I did almost run out of money when I stupidly forgot to use the ATMs at Baňos de Montemayor. Heading up towards Puerto de Béjar, I realised I had €54 to get me to Salamanca, three days away. Fortunately it was ample, although I did without a cup of coffee and tostada at Valdelacasa and paid for supper at Morille with a credit card, just to be on the safe side.

I usually carried about 150 euros on me. I like the advice of bringing over some euros as well. See if you can't get about 10 euros in coins too. I didn't see many vending machines that take bills.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is there a ATM in St. Jean that anyone can suggest?
You need one that is part of your bank's network. Most will be, but check the sticker postings. There are plenty around including at the post office. They are so common that it is hard to remember where a specific one is.

Here is a list of the major banks (banques) in SJPdP.

Caisse d'Epargne St-jean-pied-de-port
7 Avenue du Jai Alai, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France ‎
+33 5 64 77 00 01 ‎ · caisse-epargne.fr

Société Générale
23 Place Charles de Gaulle, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France ‎
+33 5 59 37 06 24 ‎ · societegenerale.fr

BNP Paribas - Saint Jean Pied De Port
5 Rue Zuharpeta, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France ‎
+33 820 82 00 01 ‎ · bnpparibas.net

Crédit Agricole Pyrénées Gascogne
Rue Sainte-Eulalie, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France ‎
+33 5 59 37 22 27 ‎ · ca-pyrenees-gascogne.fr

Banque Populaire Aquitaine Centre Atlantique
14 Avenue du Jai Alai, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France ‎
+33 5 59 49 21 90 ‎ · bpaca.banquepopulaire.fr

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You need one that is part of your bank's network. Most will be, but check the sticker postings. There are plenty around including at the post office. They are so common that it is hard to remember where a specific one is.
Actually I made sure before I left to get a atm MasterCard. I found that ally bank was the best for me. No ATM charges other than a 1% transaction fee.

Got 200€ at Atocha and with what I have and need, I should be good to Pamplona at least.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

Sure, it is a fair sized little town, and is also a tourist town - plenty of cashpoints. Europe uses four numbers as the pin at cashpoints - I assume yours is the same?
I use my Credit Agricole card outside the bank, just down the road to the left on the way to the railway station from the centre of town - 100 metres from the main high street.
(or on the right 100 metres before you join the High st!!)

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.