• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How Much - Cuanto?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How much

Hi Schorchi,

From what I have heard, an average day on the camino is about euro 40-45. It all depends of course on where you eat and where you sleep.

Then there is of course smart to have something extra in case of an emergency.

I would not recommend bringing cash only, I would bring a debit/credit or travelers checks (I like the cards better when I travel), and take out about euro 200,- each time. Using the cash machine in a foreign country always is more expensive, so taking out less than 200 each time would get expensive (check with your bank how much they charge of taking out money in Spain).

I am sure there are many opinions on this, so if anyone have something to add please feel free to contribute.

Welcome to Santiago!

Ivar

How much?

I'm going to do the Camino Frances in September and I was wondering how many Euros should I take?

A very rough estimate if you are staying in refugios/albergues is 1 euro per kilometre. So if you are starting in Roncesvalles that would be 750 Euro at 30 days that's 25 Euro per day. If you give a donation of 5 Euro at the refugio and the Pilgrim Menu in the evening is 10 Euro that leaves 10 Euro for a breakfast coffee and picnic lunch and refeshments, not a lot.
If you are staying at hotels/hostales it will cost more, about twice as much but obviously this depends on what standard of hotel you stay in.

The old proverb is true: when you've decided what things you want to carry along and how much money you'll need, bring half as much stuff and twice as much money. You'll have done well if you use everything you brought at least once, and if you manage to avoid using all the money.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Cost per day on the Camino

We walked about 600 km of the Camino during the month of September (05). Our estimate of costs matched that of William Marques' advice. Generally the refugios were about 5 Euro while the more than adequate Pilgrim Menu at 8 Euro carried us most day with Breakfast of Cafe con Leche and tost (3 Euro) and another cafe con leche (1.2 Euro) as a pick up. The occassional Tortilla and boccadillo(2E to 3.5 E each) filled in)We figured on about 20 to 25 Euro per day.

The large amout of food usually served for the "menu" usually sustained us for the day...we had it in the afternoon then just a "picnic" snack for dinner so not to feel like a python while sleeping.

Anything you pack "just in case" DON'T ... go for the bare minimum.

Buen Camino! Its a wonderful experience. Chris from Vermont

Re: How much

Ivar is right, about the costs and using cash machines (don't bother with travelers checks your'll spend more time trying to cash them in and it costs more then the bank charges on the machines).

While you can scrimp by and do it for less and if you buy local and stick to vino then yes it is possible to do it on 25euro a day... why is Spanish beer more expensive then wine? And hard to get cold.

As a note the albergues on Via del a Plata are more expensive (anything from 5 to 15 euro) and sometimes local pension can be cheaper if you are traveling as a pair (and you get to miss the snoring). And if you feel like splashing out then there are always the Paradors, we pulled the odd pilgrim discount at these which makes the crisp linen sheets all the sweeter... the stello is a dead giveaway though but as many started off as pilgrim hospitals it's worth a look even if you don't stay.

Have a great camino and don't get too tangled up in the finances, it's worth it at any price and you can always sleep out under the stars for free.

Albergues vary between 3 -10 euros, menus between 8 -10 euros. Plus breakfast, coffees, snacks, church & albergue donations, medicines, toiletries, postcards, stamps, internet access etc. Oh and beer ofc - mine was always cold - maybe I drink quicker than hel&scott :D
Don't carry tons of cash as there are enough atms. I used a Caxton currency card. This was more convenient than a bank card as you can restrict how much cash you have on it i.e. if you lose it it is not the end of world and also avoids the drama my bank causes everytime I use my debit card abroad (freezes my account requiring expensive calls to sort it out, even if you ring them in advance to arrange :x ). The currency card is preloaded from bank account before I left (online, by phone or by text) and I topped up or checked balance whenever I needed via text message. It is done instantly with text message to confirm transactions. I think you can also use it like a debit/credit card to pay for items, as long as you have enough cash loaded on it to cover the transaction.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked for three months (various routes) and took $3000. I came home with money in my pocket. I'd say that 750 to 1000 Euros would be plenty if you are frugal.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well.. it showed up on my computer as a new post... and I didn't look to see when the original was posted or if the poster was still alive and active... so my bad ::laughing::

Indeed Falcon269, a still relevant 5 yr old question needs an updated answer... :D
Lol, and here it is, four years after the last post, and I'm reading this thread avidly! I'd love an update. :)

Last edited:
Short answer don't.

Bring two ATM cards. Each from a different bank/account. Withdraw a little cash when you need it.

Exchange rate will tend to be better. It'll be safer. It'll weigh less :p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome back I am sure you will find some old friends and even better some new ones. After such a break you will have lots to read.
Buen Camino;)

After nearly a decade between the original post and today I think a more accurate figure would be at least E30, even if you stay in the pilgrim albergues. The cost of beer and wine are definitely more expensive. Cheers

Short answer don't.

Bring two ATM cards. Each from a different bank/account. Withdraw a little cash when you need it.

Exchange rate will tend to be better. It'll be safer. It'll weigh less :p
Great idea to bring two from different accounts. Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After nearly a decade between the original post and today I think a more accurate figure would be at least E30, even if you stay in the pilgrim albergues. The cost of beer and wine are definitely more expensive. Cheers
Ivar in the original response to the post said E40-45 per day so E30 would be a nice drop! Lucky me, I don't drink alcohol so will probably save a fair amount there. ;) Cheers.

Ivar in the original response to the post said E40-45 per day so E30 would be a nice drop! Lucky me, I don't drink alcohol so will probably save a fair amount there. ;) Cheers.

Yeah, thats what i thought :) I don't drink alcohol, but it did not take long before i found out that a simple diet Coke is way more expensive then a glass of wine.
Ok, so i did not drink a whole bottle of coke at diner like some do a bottle of wine, but still....
Thats why you should not count yourself "rich" just yet, 'cause with just about every pilgrim menu, you get a bottle of wine for free. No soft drinks, just wine.....oh, and water. I bet you never heard of that before ;)

I think 30e for the basics is currently more realistic. My perception is that purely donativo albergue are going the way of the dodo.
Yes, wine comes frequently as part of the basic menu peregrino. Not the best Rioja, but a good local "tempranillo" anyway. I ve been offered a 750 ml bottle, just for me...Not exactly conducive to a long walk afterwards, but that is why "siesta" was invented...
If you are planning to walk in France (or in Germany...) add +15e to your estimations.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My daily costs for each past autumn/winter camino average 33 to 35 euros. I usually stay in inexpensive pilgrim albergues; only once in February 2006 at a private albergue in Navarette, then the only albergue open, was there an extra nominal charge for heat. However heat and electricity are expensive in Spain so do be prepared to pay a supplement when asked.

Beside breakfast I generally eat one main meal each day using the common Menu de Dia available throughout Spain; at 12€ this costs a bit more than a standard three course Peregrino Menu (Pilgrim Menu) for 8€ or 9€. but provides MUCH better quality and choice. Some hospitaleros provide delicious dinners; communal meals at Eunate, sadly now closed, Granon and Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo have always been memorable feasts. Although marked donativo or pay what you wish, be sure to give generously so that others who are less fortunate can also eat.

MM

I budget 35/d and still manage to spend close to 50/d (2011 thru 2013) thanks to incidental expenses like laundry, Internet cafes, occasional baggage transport, the big meal splurge along with the bus trip home among other things. This is a once in a life time experience for many people, so why is the daily cost such a big deal? A soft drink or bottle of water costs as much as a beer or glass of wine, so take advantage of the free local vino tinto at night, when in Rome.....

I guess it depends whether money is an issue for you or not. Some will have money to splash out because they are retired or in steady work. Others given the current economic climate in Europe may be out of work and sticking to a budget is a must. If you are going to do the full camino you are talking about 35 plus days. In that time you will have extra expenses that will pop up. No harm to budget for that bit more so you can enjoy the experience and have that extra cup of coffee.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

SometimesSheTravels:

If you are going to stay in Albergues and eat Pilgrim meals every night 30 Euro's per day is fine.

If you plan on staying in Private Albergues, Casa Rurals, Hotels, eat in restaurants etc. etc. the cost could easily be 50 Euro's per day. Everything depends on your choices and comfort level.

These costs do not include any travel expenses like air, buses, trains, cabs, etc, etc.

I use a Charles Schwab savings account debit card. No annual fee, no atm charges and a nominal currency exchange fee (less than 1%). I have a J.P. Morgan credit card with a chip for other expenses.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
The menus del dia are fine but you will find that you tend to get chips (french fries) with them almost all the time. Food in Spain can be quite oily/greasy and some foods are quite heavy, sweet and rich.
Depending on what you like to eat and what your system can take you may want to eat elsewhere at certain times. Maybe even buy your own food and do a simple dish if there are facilities in the hostel.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yeah, thats what i thought :) I don't drink alcohol, but it did not take long before i found out that a simple diet Coke is way more expensive then a glass of wine.
Ok, so i did not drink a whole bottle of coke at diner like some do a bottle of wine, but still....
Thats why you should not count yourself "rich" just yet, 'cause with just about every pilgrim menu, you get a bottle of wine for free. No soft drinks, just wine.....oh, and water. I bet you never heard of that before ;)
Shoot! Free wine but a charge for soda or water? Well, I'm trying to quit the Coca-Cola. Hopefully I can take my own pack bottle with me. ;)

a more recent estimate: I withdrew $300.00euro once weekly for four weeks. I mostly stayed in alburgues except for my last week . I stayed in private rooms from Arzua on to SdC. I ate wonderful dinners ( Mostly regional paella), tapas in the big cities and lots and lots of vino tinto. I bought two eggs to boil and supplement my toast and coffee in the mornings, nuts, and an orange along with a Coke Zero for my lunch or mid morning snack. I also sent my pack ahead a few times. Currently in my "camino wallet" I have 45 left. A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL!!!!!!!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had planned to spend about $100 per day for the two of us on the CF. Although the first days were more expensive, during the mid point of the walk we were spending less than $50 per day for both of us. Always tried to spend more locally for snacks, coffee, meals when possible. Albergue were $4-$12 per bed. Hostels and pensions we paid $50 max for a private apartment. Usually $20-40 per night for a room for the two of us.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Always interesting to estimate budgets. The comment above about taking more money than you think you'll need is fairly valid I think.

I stayed in private accommodation and didn't really skimp on anything, so I was going through e100 a day (in 2015).

But I estimated a more economic approach to private accommodation would have been about e63 per day and an Albergue based budget about e35 per day, so we all seem to be in the same ball park I think.

But it's a bit like a pack weight and packing list, we need to see what goes into the budget.

This was the breakdown.... Sorry it's a bit difficult to paste in all the tables, so I'll just add a link.
http://robscamino.com/27th-of-june-camino-budget/

P
at and I worked on a similar budget this year..and it seemed OK again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back