• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much do You stretch each day?

NerdGjerd

Time of past OR future Camino
Newbie - Maybe late March ‘23 CF
Hi all. How much and what kind of stretching do you do while on the Camino? (Or while your training for the Camino) I've searched and found a little advice for those with shin splints, but nothing routine.

I'm assuming it's a bit important to get calves (the stretch where you stand against a wall, with your knee straight, and also with your knee bent) and to get the hammies, and also the thigh muscles (where you pull your foot behind you). 30 seconds each a couple times? Before, during, and after your walk each day? A stretch to prevent shin splints too? Anything for the shoulders or back?

Do some of your not stretch at all? I'd love to hear what your regular practice is. Thanks! (I am just in training)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all. How much and what kind of stretching do you do while on the Camino? (Or while your training for the Camino) I've searched and found a little advice for those with shin splints, but nothing routine.

I'm assuming it's a bit important to get calves (the stretch where you stand against a wall, with your knee straight, and also with your knee bent) and to get the hammies, and also the thigh muscles (where you pull your foot behind you). 30 seconds each a couple times? Before, during, and after your walk each day? A stretch to prevent shin splints too? Anything for the shoulders or back?

Do some of your not stretch at all? I'd love to hear what your regular practice is. Thanks! (I am just in training)
I did leg stretches as you described 3 to 5 minutes every day immediately before walking and sometimes in the middle of the day. My pilgrimage was the only time in my life I stretched.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stretch in bed before I wake up.
When I get up.
Before I walk.
During breaks through the day.
At the end of the day.........

I find it helps ;)
Maybe it depends a lot on fitness and state of health? :oops:
I have lots of things that need to be stretched and warmed up.

These may need to be specific to your condition, so I would suggest maybe talking to a Physio. But these are some that I do.

Morning, at breaks, and at the end of the day.
Stretch 1: Runner's Stretch Face a wall and stand 12 inches away from it. Extend one leg behind you, keeping both feet flat on the floor and your rear knee straight. Lean toward the wall until you feel tension in the calf muscle of the extended leg. (You can put your arms on the wall for support.) Hold for up to 30 seconds. Repeat with the other leg.

Stretch 2. Pelvic tilt ( I do this whilst still in bed) Pelvic tilts build strength in your abdominal muscles, which helps relieve pain and tightness in your lower back. They also have a beneficial effect on your glutes and hamstrings. To do a pelvic tilt, follow these steps: Lie on your back with both knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Engage your abdominal muscles as you flatten your back against the floor. Breathe normally, holding this position for up to 10 seconds. Release and take a few deep breaths to relax.

Stretch 3. Sphinx stretch The sphinx stretch is a gentle backbend that allows you to be both active and relaxed. This baby backbend stretches and strengthens your spine, buttocks, and chest. To do the sphinx stretch, follow these steps: Lie on your stomach with your elbows underneath your shoulders and your hands extended in front, palms facing down. Set your feet slightly apart. It’s OK for your big toes to touch. Gently engage your lower back, buttocks, and thighs as you lift your head and chest. Stay strong in your lower back and abdominals, breathing deeply. Press your pelvis into the floor. Gaze straight ahead or gently close your eyes. Hold this pose for 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Additional........
Ankles. I'll extend and rotate my ankles before getting out of bed in the morning to warm them up.
Plantaar Facia (sole of foot) I'll roll my foot across a frozen drink bottle or similar shape.
Shins. I carry a foam roller to massage my shins each morning. (I get shin splints)

I’m late 50s and seeing a podiatrist and physio for mysterious pain on back of my heals. It doesn’t hurt when I walk or after I walk. Just when heal touches the sheets in bed at night. Doesn’t hurt to touch it with my hands. Makes no sense. But that’s a topic for another forum. I’ve had beginnings of PF, some foot neuropathy from lumbar and neck issues / surgeries. And I’ve had beginnings of shin splints before, not now. But other than that doing ok. Physio had me doing these basic stretches. But was curious how common it was to stretch each day before you set out, during, or when you’re done. Not that I’m too worried I’ll look like a goof ball being the only one stretching. More just curiosity at what you all did and maybe learn some new stretches or perspectives.

Rob thanks for the detailed instructions. Those are great and I will add them to my daily lineup. I read them in my best Rob YouTube voice ;-) Big fan…

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I start off with good intentions of thorough stretching but don't follow through after the second week.

Stretching for a few times just after wake-up.
For the daily walk I didn't stretch, for my recreational sport I have to stretch 5mins to warm up my joints and knees.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have had "bad" knees for about 15 years. I do exercises and stretching every morning (about 20 minutes) as prescribed by my physical therapist. I also do them before bed. At his point I'm afraid to stop for fear that my knees will give out. As I get older (68 now) I've added more exercises/stretches to keep hips strong to support the knees and back, shoulder and neck exercises to help with arthritis. I want to be strong for our Camino coming up in April so I've been going to yoga 2x per week and strength training class once a week. Not everyone needs or wants to exercise, but I like to and I think it helps me. My husband (Cullen) doesn't do much (zero) stretching or exercising aside from walking and he usually doesn't have any problems. Everyone is different.

I do some stretching which includes a bit of yoga, along with doing a bit of cardio three times a week. My motivation comes from meeting with three friends to exercise and we call it "oiling our joints" like the Tin man in Wizard of Oz. Additionally I walk three+ miles outdoors on most days.
On the Camino I prefer walking 20-25k per day, but have done more when needed and I'm happy when it's been less.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Jumpstart in the morning, approx 15min:
- (30 deep squats + 60sec plank) x 3
- hanging on the bar for 60sec
Encouraging music is a must :)

Obviously no such weird morning performance on Camino.. I rely on adrenaline supply.
Nevertheless I do thigh and calf stretches in the shower if the daily distance was too demanding.

I practice yoga 5 times a day and I when I’m on the camino I stretch before and after I walk. Hope this helps. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @NerdGjerd, don't get discouraged by the naysayers 😉. Until very recently, I would have said "nay" to stretching exercise, too. Camino walking is, after all, only walking. I've never stretched before, during or after walking on Camino. Nor on other long day walks or hikes, whether flat or up and down a mountain.

However, it has become painfully clear to me recently that daily stretching exercises can be very beneficial for ageing bodies, i.e. those with threescore and some years on their backs, and for overall health and well-being. I still loathe it but I am now trying to do it daily. The kind of exercise that others have already described.

As to preventing shin splints I don't know any specific exercise. I got them badly only once, on the treadmill, after having bought a new pair of jogging shoes. I binned them and never went back to the shop that had advised me to buy that model.

No, I don't stretch before, during or after walking on the Camino (average 30+ km p d.) but by all means do so if it makes you feel better or are known to have complaints if you don't (that's me the physiotherapist talking 😊).

My normal at home walking routine is a about 15 km p.d. and although I don't stretch per se I do practice yoga 4-5x a week which of course both strengthens and elongates muscles.

I didn't stretch much when I did my first long walk (John O'Groats to Land's End) in 2006...and I could barely move for a week after that, my legs were so tight!

Last year on the Camino, I tried to do some stretching every morning, mostly standing stuff before I'd get started on the day, and then would usually do something longer when I finished for the day, making sure I did various hip stretches as they tend to get tightest for me when I walk. One of my reasons for getting a single room every few days was to have space and privacy to do a proper stretching session. But even on a bunk bed, it's easy enough to do some simple stretches that don't give everyone else an eyeful, and I found it a useful way to relax and decompress after walking too.

I got the book Stiff Guy Yoga before I went last year, which was really useful for loosening me up before I go, and introducing me to a range of different exercises I could use when I was there. I definitely recommend it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

While on the Camino, before I take off for the day, I do 60 squats, wall sit for one minute, 60 toe touches, 100 sit ups.

I lift legs a bit off the bed and “write” the alphabet with my toes (to help with plantar fasciitis). Then a bit of yoga Happy Baby to open up the ol‘ hips. And a couple of yoga Sun Salutations when I crawl out of bed. Then I stretch as I’m going about my morning - no counting. I just try to get a bit of everything and more where it’s sore. If you come across me at breakfast along Camino, I’ll be the one walking oddly: knees up high, lunges against the coffee station, etc.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Most exercise gurus will tell us that exercise and stretching will help with shin splints "before" they happen. It might/will even prevent shin splints. BUT once it happens (for me it seems to be at the 30 day mark) only KT tape makes the difference. For me it works.

No I do not stretch on the Camino

Buen Camino
Bob

I stretch in bed before I wake up.
When I get up.
Before I walk.
During breaks through the day.
At the end of the day.....
I

Additional........
Ankles. I'll extend and rotate my ankles before getting out of bed in the morning to warm them up.
Plantaar Facia (sole of foot) I'll roll my foot across a frozen drink bottle or similar shape.
Shins. I carry a foam roller to massage my shins each morning. (I get shin splints)
I stretch before I go to bed, and then when I wake up. Both times I do the “alphabet” twice, I do quad and achilles stretches before I get up. Before I start walking, I stretch back and neck muscles and do one last quad stretch. I spend about 15-20 minutes in toto stretching. As I get older I require it more!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi I'm a 6'3 guy mid 50s. I've had severe shin splints in my 39s (operated on bone scraped and muscle sheathed) and two slipped discs. I definitely stretch/warm up prior to walking and after - for me essential. I have a routine that takes me 5 - 10 minutes. I recommend it especially as you get older. I suggest you pop to your local gym and get shown/taught. Some strength training will also help your walking. Shin splints are tricky. There are some simple exercises I find aid and cold water on them post exercise certainly helps but if you are suffering from them start with the feet up. Orthotics may help as will footwear selection etc.so get yourself checked out at a podiatrist. I walk with hiking poles on + 10km walks which I believe more than offsets the additional pack weight and helps relieve stress on all joints if used properly - get shown. I usually train every day without poles on a range of surfaces and terrain at a good pace and then my Caminos are pretty easy and pain free. Everyone is different- find what works for you. Good luck and remember an ounce of prevention....

Last edited:
Hi I'm a 6'3 guy mid 50s. I've had severe shin splints in my 39s (operated on bone scraped and muscle sheathed) and two slipped discs. I definitely stretch/warm up prior to walking and after - for me essential. I have a routine that takes me 5 - 10 minutes. I recommend it especially as you get older. I suggest you pop to your local gym and get shown/taught. Some strength training will also help your walking. Shin splints are tricky. There are some simple exercises I find aid and cold water on them post exercise certainly helps but if you are suffering from them start with the feet up. Orthotics may help as will footwear selection etc.so get yourself checked out at a podiatrist. I walk with hiking poles on + 10km walks which I believe more than offsets the additional pack weight and helps relieve stress on all joints if used properly - get shown. I usually train every day without poles on a range of surfaces and terrain at a good pace and then my Caminos are pretty easy and pain free. Everyone is different- find what works for you. Good luck and remember an ounce of prevention....
Thank you for your traveling tips!

Not a stupid question but we have a restriction as one walks so far each day. Perhaps it is good to stretch along the Way as one continues.

I start off every day with 30 minutes of stretching, (upper and lower body).
I then do 100 push ups, and 100 sit ups.
By doing this routine I no longer wake up sore, my core is stronger and my walking endurance has increased.

€60,-
I start off every day with 30 minutes of stretching, (upper and lower body).
I then do 100 push ups, and 100 sit ups.
By doing this routine I no longer wake up sore, my core is stronger and my walking endurance has increased.
So you see it is an hour a day before you get started?

I did these stretches with the video after every walk when training for the Camino. I’d intended to also do them while on the Camino but I didn’t really. Though I did do a variation of some of the stretches every night while lying in bed, as they’re all doable even while in a top bunk!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Sometimes I forget, but it is very, very important.

I got the book Stiff Guy Yoga before I went last year, which was really useful for loosening me up before I go, and introducing me to a range of different exercises I could use when I was there. I definitely recommend it.
If it helped Ed Balls do the Yoga he demonstrated on The One Show it must be good. However, book and videos are out of stock on their web site, and unavailable on my usual Book Depository source. I found it via Bookbinder.com ... lots of New at almost the same prices as the Used ones, which all showed "Front cover is creased." I ordered from Amazon.co.UK at lower cost, including shipping, than Amazon.CA [I am located in Canada], AND it will arrive sooner than .CA promised. 🙄

I’m a latecomer to yoga but starting doing YouTube Yoga with Adriene during covid lockdowns and got hooked. She has 30 day yoga journeys to jump start beginners…the one called Home is a great place to start and I really enjoyed the most recent one called Center. When walking, I’ll put a towel on the floor in the evening and if there’s Wi-Fi, put a video on to stretch out a bit.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@NM99 , thanks.
I did these stretches with the video
Just tried this and just one session relevied most of the pain from (what I presume is) shin splints I've been suffering from after every walk for the past 8 weeks. Clearly more stretching required for me henceforth!
Appreciate one session is not definitive but it's a great start!

About five millimetres between the time that I finish walking one day and the time when I start walking the next.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@NM99 , thanks.

Just tried this and just one session relevied most of the pain from (what I presume is) shin splints I've been suffering from after every walk for the past 8 weeks. Clearly more stretching required for me henceforth!
Appreciate one session is not definitive but it's a great start!
If you are getting shin splints then consider your posture. You will get sore shins if you don't walk with an upright posture. Leaning forward puts lots of pressure on your legs especially your shins.

Leaning forward with a backpack on is common if the backpack is not fitted properly so that you carry the weight on your hips rather than your shoulders.

@DoughnutANZ , my posture may indeed be at issue. I've made the error of not using my poles lately, and I generally walk with them. This will of course affect my posture. I am only walking home from work (8km) and didn't want to take them with me.
A reasonable point about ill fitting pack's, but I think unlikely in my case.
Appreciate the input

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.