• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much do your backpacks weigh?

sofronii

Time of past OR future Camino
Hey all,

Simple question, to get a relative idea of what is 'the norm'.
I've read something like 10% of body weight. Let me know, so I have an idea what to aim for.

Regards,
Sophia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mine is about 6.5 kg with water (I carry 1.2-2 liters of water) and my husband's is about 7.5 kg. with water.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Aim to take only the essentials and then weigh your pack...
I keep my pack at max. 5kg. ( Without water).
On my first camino it was because I was scared, not being used to hiking let alone carrying a rucksack. Now it's because I know it can be done, without any discomfort :)

We average about 5.5 kg. My wife's is 3.7 and mine about 7.5..... (Not incl food & water)

I get to haul the hairdryer and her spare clothes :rolleyes:

This includes 2 sleeping bags, 2 sets of clothes each, rain gear, hiking umbrellas etc etc.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
About 17-18 pounds.. so about 8kg. That weight is with water and food, and a down sleeping bag. I walked during the early Spring, so had warm clothes too. If I were going in Summer I could lighten it up with half the amount of clothes and a sleep sack. I weigh about 130 lbs (about 60 kg), so I am over the 10 percent -- I'm fine with 15 to 20 percent. There was a recent thread on the 10% idea. Do a search-- it was very interesting.

Under 7kg so I can carry it on the plane.
Some airlines allow more weight as a carry on. Check your airline. Also, I put some clothes into a light weight bag on the top of my pack (pillow case) and that becomes my "purse" when I board the plane. On the plane it becomes my pillow. This also makes my pack a bit shorter so it can be a carry on.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can’t seem to get mine much under 10 kgs . Wish I could but I seem to need everything.

FSO (from skin out) 9.6kg
Max wt I'd have on my back (FSO - lightest set I'd ever wear walking) 7.5kg
Max wt on my back less 1.5l water 6.1kg

I also calculated what my true min I could expect to carry if I was to eliminate all non-essentials (i.e reduce to .75l water, no luxury items like phone, camera, journal, etc.) 4.8kg.
This was for a May/June Camino so no sleeping bag; just a liner.

No food included.

All the best.
Mark

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had about 4kg before the 3 liters of water that I carried (I did the Primitivo and needed to carry more water). I carried all my own gear. My husband probably had closer to 7kg. (before water) because his clothes are heavier and he chose to carry a larger first aid kit and cook kit. This weight was just fine for us. Wasn't at all heavy considering what we usually carry on thru hikes. We split the food that we carried for our lunches which was probably another 1/2 kilo (bread, jamon, cheese, chocolate bar).
Everybody's abilities and experiences are different. Some people just can't walk long distances with more than 4 kg and others are fine with 10kg. Carry what you really need (not just think you need) and what is within your ability to carry without getting injured. 10-15 % of your IDEAL body weight is a good goal.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lighter is better for me, but some people can carry more than others (@alaskadiver ). I don't notice the pack on my back if it is under 10 pounds, but once it reaches 15 pounds I am miserable. My joints ache from the extra 5 pounds. I weigh everything and have to make compromises so I can enjoy the camino. Most days I carry minimal water and snacks - I just stop at every bar and café along the camino.

I'm so jealous of all the lightweight packs! I have to bring my camp stuff so my pack weighs 11.5 kg (including food and water). Hopefully when I get to Spain I can send my tent, sleeping mat and cooking stuff.

A liter of water weighs 1kg = 2.2 lbs. Those who say they carry 2 liters of water are carrying 4.4 pounds in water alone. I hope you really need all that water with you....even on the Primitivo there are refill opportunities at reasonable distances...with few exceptions.
So..if you posted that your pack weighs 6kg with 2 liters of water (2kg) that means the pack itself and everything but the water only weighs 4kg. That is careful packing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm so jealous of all the lightweight packs! I have to bring my camp stuff so my pack weighs 11.5 kg (including food and water). Hopefully when I get to Spain I can send my tent, sleeping mat and cooking stuff.

That is around what my total pack weight is when I am carrying an 8 day food and fuel load and gear when I am backpacking in the wild, so yours is not a bad weight if you are camping out while hiking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We average about 5.5 kg. My wife's is 3.7 and mine about 7.5.....

I get to haul the hairdryer and her spare clothes :rolleyes:

This includes 2 sleeping bags, 2 sets of clothes each, rain gear, hiking umbrellas etc etc.
I keep telling you you're a "gem", Robo! ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My problem isn’t my FSO weight, it’s my FSI weight!

I know you were joking, but it is something that alot of people don't consider. They will worry about a gram here and there and spend all kinds of money to save that last milligram of weight when, for some, there are kg's resting comfortably all around them...literally!

I just assembled my pack yesterday and it's weighing in at 12.5 pounds. I was wondering if the 10% "non-rule" is supposed to include fanny pack weight and water.

I just assembled my pack yesterday and it's weighing in at 12.5 pounds. I was wondering if the 10% "non-rule" is supposed to include fanny pack weight and water.

The non-rule is a guideline of a comfortable weight to carry so if it was a rule - which it isn't - then it would refer to everything - which it doesn't. :)

A liter of water weighs 1kg = 2.2 lbs. Those who say they carry 2 liters of water are carrying 4.4 pounds in water alone. I hope you really need all that water with you....even on the Primitivo there are refill opportunities at reasonable distances...with few exceptions.
So..if you posted that your pack weighs 6kg with 2 liters of water (2kg) that means the pack itself and everything but the water only weighs 4kg. That is careful packing.
Yeup, I carried 3 liters of water and on most days needed all of it. On 2 or 3 days the refill opportunities were too far in between. The weight was no problem for us and still far less than what we normally carry on thru hikes. Everybody is different. That's why I quoted the weight of my pack without water. With water I was carrying about 16 or 17 pounds, which for me, is light.

4 kg before food & water. Plan how much water to carry each part of the day since it is so heavy.

Hey all,

I've read something like 10% of body weight. Let me know, so I have an idea what to aim for.

Regards,
Sophia

If you weigh 70kg fine but if you weigh 200kg problem. I never carry more than 6kg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey all,

Regards,
Sophia
I carry documents, glasses, water etc in a waist pack (fanny pack) then you can have more weight in your back pack. However after a week I just sent my backpack on ahead as the weight (only 10% of my body weight) was too much for my back. It was great

Hey all,

Regards,
Sophia
Hey all,

Regards,
Sophia
Don't go by any rule. Pack your backpack with only essentials. Hike with it fully loaded during your training for at least 2-3 consecutive days. If it feels heavy and burdensome, then it's too heavy on the Camino. After 4 Caminos, my fully loaded backpack is 4.2 kgs (just over 9 pounds) not including water. I only carry half liter of water (1.1 pounds) and refill at every cafe or restaurant. I must be very judicious with what and how much I carry since I'm over 70 and am a polio survivor with an artificial knee.

I started with 18 pounds, I am 57 yr old women over 200 pounds. It was too heavy for me so I got it transported for a week until I got a little more conditioned. Then I slimmed it down to 12 pounds and shipped excess stuff to Santiago and picked it up there at the end of my journey.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
After a few caminos and getting gear list pretty tuned to what we need, my wife's pack is about 6 lbs (plus water). Mine is about 14lbs (plus water and food). But note, my wife is a hobbit (5 foot nothing, maybe 105lbs). I am not (6'1" 185lbs). And I carry two pairs of shoes, because my feet do much better that way. She does not. I carry a native American flute to play in the churches and other special places. She does not. All of which is to say, weigh everything in grams (to make differences pop out), that will help you make the best decisions you can. Then, once you know the numbers, forget them. Any time my life is run by numbers (GPA, bank account balance, test scores) it is unmanageable.

We are leaving in a few days... currently my pack weighs 25lbs before food/snacks and water. I weigh 200 lbs and I'm 5'10". A lil extra weight doesn't scare me. I'm thinking I'm gonna max it out at 30 lbs. I have an awesome backpack and I can't really feel the 30 lbs as heavy...and even at 30 lbs I know from experience that after few days you and your pack become One. When I did parts of Appalachian Trail, we carried 40 lbs normally. But at the end of the day it's personal choice. Whatever you are comfortable with. A lil discomfort is just one more reason to grown stronger.

@sofronii Best way to find out is to pack what you think you need and go for walks with it :)

My pack is isually around 5kg before water and food.
I am 1,58m, 53kg. Can´t handle more than 8kg at all on my back/hips :p

We are leaving in a few days... currently my pack weighs 25lbs before food/snacks and water. I weigh 200 lbs and I'm 5'10". A lil extra weight doesn't scare me. I'm thinking I'm gonna max it out at 30 lbs. I have an awesome backpack and I can't really feel the 30 lbs as heavy...and even at 30 lbs I know from experience that after few days you and your pack become One. When I did parts of Appalachian Trail, we carried 40 lbs normally. But at the end of the day it's personal choice. Whatever you are comfortable with. A lil discomfort is just one more reason to grown stronger.
What all are you carrying?

I do understand the need to carry EVERYTHING you need on the Appalachian trail but.... 25 lbs on the Camino??? What are you carrying???

I do understand the need to carry EVERYTHING you need on the Appalachian trail but.... 25 lbs on the Camino??? What are you carrying???

:) 25 pounds is a bit more than my total pack weight, with an 8 day supply of food and fuel, when I thru-hiked the Pacific Crest Trail. Walking from town to town on Camino, it is so nice to only need to carry an 8 to 9 pound load.

My backpack weighs about 6 kg (without water, food and the things that I wear on a hot summer day; so e. g. hat and walking poles are not included).
I think I have more or less only the necessary stuff... but many things are not weight-optimized, just as I "found" them in my household.

I think this should be okay... and I should calm down:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/calm-down.56386/
instead of counting ounces.

Last edited:
We just completed our 6th camino and still ended up shipping excess stuff to Santiago. We are in our late 60's and carried our packs for 39 days. Mine weighed 15 lbs and my wife 14 both with 1 liter of water. We never had problems getting refilled even on the Invierno route for the last 6 days.

8kg seems to be a magic weight for me. That includes 2 litres of water and a few small snacks (I don't eat a proper bread and cheese type lunch on the trail). It doesn't include poles btw. It's no good separating out water and 'fanny pack' as if it somehow doesn't count. Water is actually the most important thing you carry.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Started CF in April at 15#15oz. Finished in May at 14#13oz. base weight ( no food/water included). Eliminated a few items along the way. It was easy to send fotwatd or eliminate as I learmed. You cam do the metric, but at 195# body weight I was well under 10% guide. Had everything I needed and expect to start next year around 14#. Going to buy different rain/wind jacket and remove down jacket and rain pants! Hiked in rain, snow and sleet, so I know this is ok..
Hike light, start chilled, empty pack and reanalyze weekly. Best things I learned.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.