• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much does your Backpack weigh?

JuliaM

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2016
My Backpack weighs now 8 kg..
I weigh 50 kg. I think it will become too heavy with time. Should I consider not taking my sleeping bag with? Starting 5th of July in SJPDP.
Thank you!:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Julia -- I walked from SJPDP on May 30 of last year. I only took a silk sleeping bag liner with me - not a sleeping bag. The liner was enough. Only one night did I need to sleep in a long sleeved shirt and leggings to keep warm. Many albergues have blankets for your use in the higher cooler elevations.
Buen Camino!!

I weigh 50 kg. I think it will become too heavy with time. Should I consider not taking my sleeping bag with? Starting 5th of July in SJPDP.

For a July camino, yes, that is too heavy. The best thing would be if you post your complete packing list here in this thread and we help you to sort through it. Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am very cautious regarding preparation for weather, but even I agree that maybe you can go with just a liner in July! I travel with 6 kg (before water and food), have a sleeping bag and am ready for freezing rain, so you can certainly reduce by quite a bit in addition to changing to a liner.

I wouldn't walk anywhere without a sleeping bag but...that's just me. How heavy is it?
Are you bringing too many clothes? Or toiletries? 8 kgs seem a lot to me.
On my 1st Camino I managed just under 5kgs, that was with a cheap bag that weighed quite a bit and no 'technical' clothes, just what I had at home. It can be done. (Cheaply).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mine weighs about 10kilos, for a March/April Camino, so that includes raingear, jacket, leggings, and sleeping bag--and unlike most folks, my regular clothes are unavoidably heavy (cotton and multi-layered).
For July it's a safe bet you could leave out the sleeping bag--and @SYates's suggestion to post your packing list is a good one (she's a pro...as are several other people here.;))

Going to keep to 4.5 - 5 kg. I am 68 years old and weigh 59 kilos - wish me luck! Am not staying in albergues though so do not need sleeping gear.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, here's some perspective.

Driving across the city today to visit my wife in hospital (she's had a hip replacement) I turned on the wireless and chanced on an interview with the leader of an Australian film crew planning a documentary on the porters who transport the packs of tour groupies to the Everest base camp.

These blokes are aged from their teens into their 70's. It's a thirteen day hike from pick-up at the remote airport to base camp. The packs they carry are of the order of 90kg! They have to provide their own food and camping gear. Typically they take home around $78 for this effort.

Expect to have to outlay around $60,000 to join one of these tour groups if you want to climb Everest.

Someone's making a lot of money and it's not the porters.

We really live in a different world!

De Colores

Bogong.

I'm planning for the Summer walk possibly starting July this year . At the moment, my pack weighs 5.5 kgs. I weight around and about 62kgs now.

I ditched the sleeping bag for a thermal liner which is supposedly good for down to 11 deg C.

Really, 8 kg is not heavy, take what you are comfortable with in moderation and take no notice of the weight police. Some walkers do not add the weight of their, water, food or trekking poles on their totals.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walked in June of this year with a 6 kg pack, but this did include 1 kg for an emergency tent as I went of main track for some of the time. Very unusual for me to carry water and normally only have a couple of banana's in case I get hungry. No poles, have light weight water proof top only, change of clothes plus three changes of underwear/socks, small medicine kit (never used). I weigh around 95 kg and am in mid 60's. Had no problem in doing average of 25 km per day - meaning I didn't get blisters or any related health problems with legs or feet or back. Strongly suggest you bring sun block and treated sheet sleeping bag. My treat was swimming costume plus a proper towel?

Really, 8 kg is not heavy, take what you are comfortable with in moderation and take no notice of the weight police. Some walkers do not add the weight of their, water, food or trekking poles on their totals.
8kg is crazy for a summer camino - and, in this case, represents some 16% of body weight - all you need as well is a rain jacket not a fleece
I've walked the Norte with 2.5L pack weight plus up to 4L of water - when I needed to carry a full day's liquid for close to 50km of walking

8kg is crazy for a summer camino - and, in this case, represents some 16% of body weight - all you need as well is a rain jacket not a fleece
I've walked the Norte with 2.5L pack weight plus up to 4L of water - when I needed to carry a full day's liquid for close to 50km of walking

Well even in summer I will bring a lightweight fleece. Once I stop walking I get really cold so my light fleece comes in really handy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
First of all, thank you for sharing your opinion!
So..I'll leave my sleeping bag(900g) at home and some of my toiletries must be reduced to 50ml in order to have a 5kg backpack.

I went for a two hours walk today with my 8kg backpack and uphill it slows me down a lot.

My reviewed list :
-40L backpack(it sounds much but there is so little space..)
-Wind/rain Jacket
-Rain Coat (pretty heavy..)
-3 Outfits (one for night)
-2pair of socks
-Underwear
-Flip Flops
-Outdoor Guide & Journal (pretty heavy..)
-Sunglases
-Shower & Shampoo (each 50 ml)
-Sunscreen(50ml)
-Vaseline(100ml)
-Mini Deo
-Toothpaste & brush
-Towel
-Earplugs
-Mini First Kid Aid
-Mini Flashlight
-Vitamins
-some chocolate bars/bananas
-0,5L water
-Charger/Phone

I would carry less but I need all this stuff..

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
JuliaM - sounds pretty good to me. You should bear in mind that over the last month the temperature got up to 31 C and down below 10 (with light rain and windy) on the high hills. Just that you may need to give your choice of snacks some thought.
All the Albegues I went to had blankets, sometimes had to ask. One place even had a lit fire which I thought was crazy, but each to their own

I went in mid April and wore the same Macabi skirt and the same 2 icebreaker shirts (1 long sleeve 1 short) every day. I had a short skirt and light top for evening. Very light sleeping bag. nano puff jacket, light rain jacket, pack cover. Backpack weighed 4.5 kg I could not have comfortable carried more. At 70 with osteoporosis and arthritis, 60 kg, this was my limit. And everything was great. I used everything I had and didn't need anything I was without.

Hi Julia,

My humble remarks here..in Bold

-40L backpack(it sounds much but there is so little space..) Sounds ideal ( mine is 33 )
-Wind/rain Jacket
-Rain Coat (pretty heavy..) Do you mean a poncho? In that case leave the rain jacket at home. Or take jacket and leave poncho home. In that case bring a rain cover for your pack.

-3 Outfits (one for night) You could sleep in your clean clothes for next day. So only needing two sets of clothes. My clean trouser for the evening is a light weight yogapants that can also be used as a PJ.

-2pair of socks Here I would opt for three pairs. In case you want to use two pairs during walking.
-Underwear
-Flip Flops
-Outdoor Guide & Journal (pretty heavy..) How much does the guide weigh? you could make pics of the pages and then upload them on the phone. For the journal : are you open to use your cellphone for this?
-Sunglases
-Sunscreen(50ml)
-Vaseline(100ml)
-Mini Deo
-Toothpaste & brush
-Towel : Is this a regular towel? If so think about buying a lightweight microfibre one.
-Earplugs
-Mini First Kid Aid : Bring only minimum : Spain has very well equipped pharmacies and excellent pharmacists.
-Mini Flashlight
-Vitamins : Really needed? Spain has some good fruit and veggies!!
-some chocolate bars/bananas :
-0,5L water
-Charger/Phone

Buen Camino and Ultreia!!

€83,-
Bye, bye heavy raincoat and you're nearly there
I do carry a one-page summary of each stage with map and distances as well as individual pages of detailed town centres from Google maps (so that I can see where the supermarkets are) - my Vaseline is the 20g tin - I think poncho/pack cover is overkill given that you're walking in July - but I would bring a single dry bag to store spare clothes

What I forgot to say was.....I carry a plastic trowel plus small pack of tissues. A small packet of water purification tablets - allows you to safely drink from streams etc in emergency ( that's because on the Camino I don't usually carry water). Dry packs for everything.
When I walk long distances my philosophy is the same as when I do a marathon - start slow and then get slower

What I forgot to say was.....I carry a plastic trowel plus small pack of tissues. A small packet of water purification tablets - allows you to safely drink from streams etc in emergency ( that's because on the Camino I don't usually carry water). Dry packs for everything.
When I walk long distances my philosophy is the same as when I do a marathon - start slow and then get slower
I never saw an occasion on any of my CF's where I thought I may have to drink from one of the local streams, and honestly I don't recommend that anyone does that. It's not a wilderness hike. There are so many safe, potable water sources along the CF. Water fountains. Cafes. Bars. small shops and grocers. It is available everywhere and way safer. Carry about one liter of water with you when you start in the morning and hydrate frequently at potable water resources.
I've had the shites before from drinking bad water. Ain't fun, and will bring your Camino to an unpleasant halt.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First of all, thank you for sharing your opinion!
So..I'll leave my sleeping bag(900g) at home and some of my toiletries must be reduced to 50ml in order to have a 5kg backpack.

I went for a two hours walk today with my 8kg backpack and uphill it slows me down a lot.

My reviewed list :
-40L backpack(it sounds much but there is so little space..)
-Wind/rain Jacket
-Rain Coat (pretty heavy..)
-3 Outfits (one for night)
-2pair of socks
-Underwear
-Flip Flops
-Outdoor Guide & Journal (pretty heavy..)
-Sunglases
-Sunscreen(50ml)
-Vaseline(100ml)
-Mini Deo
-Toothpaste & brush
-Towel
-Earplugs
-Mini First Kid Aid
-Mini Flashlight
-Vitamins
-some chocolate bars/bananas
-0,5L water
-Charger/Phone

I would carry less but I need all this stuff..

Thanks for sharing @JuliaM 8kgs down to 5kgs is a significant reduction. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My last two partial camino's my pack weighed around 7kg. I used just about everything I brought with me at one time or another. Sure, it seems to weigh a ton sometimes when I'm "hefting" it up to put it on but once on it feels like a feather because my pack fits me ohhhhhh so comfortably! I packed and repacked my other two capacity backpacks in the thought of going smaller but they never did feel as nice as my tried and true.

I did a winter Camino with 9.5 kg. including water and snaks this last winter. We are now planning a early fall Camino next year with out winter gear and hopefully with 5-7 Kg.

Agree with SabineP on everything. On ditching the journal, why not do voice recordings onto your mobile? It would make a lovely reminder. You can also split a guidebook into sections and bin them / post home as you go. I do carry a sleeping bag, but it's a half kilo down one and cost me a bomb. So worth it though! Snacks you are better off with almonds and raisins: bananas and chocolate will turn to mush. Can you use the phone flashlight app? Half a litre of water may not be enough some days, you will need a litre. Whittling it down further is a good aim, but I don't think you should panic about 8kg. You should see what some folks bring!

I took out my pack and loaded it up the other day in the event I do another CF. It weighed about 8 kg (without water/snacks). I try to be as minimalist as possible, and there are probably a couple of things in there I could do without, but if they add a comfort level to the CF for me, what the heck.
And like said on here already, 8 kg ain't crazy heavy on the Camino. You will meet pilgrims with far heavier packs. I had way too much stuff on my first CF, having underestimated how physically draining walking 20-30 km a day with a pack can be.
Since I prefer to carry-on my backpack all the way to Spain on the flights, the actual physical size of the pack is just as important to me as its weight.

well im leaving tomorrow to le camino francais, and i have a 10 lt backpack with a 7kg 800g with food ,1lt of water , polar, etc... and i think its ok ???! i dont think i cant leave my sleepingbag, because i dont have too much money for sleeping in doors ...... after redoing my pack for 5 times i think im proud to get to this point!! :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
well im leaving tomorrow to le camino francais, and i have a 10 lt backpack with a 7kg 800g with food ,1lt of water , polar, etc... and i think its ok ???! i dont think i cant leave my sleepingbag, because i dont have too much money for sleeping in doors ...... after redoing my pack for 5 times i think im proud to get to this point!! :D

Ultreia!

I went in mid April and wore the same Macabi skirt and the same 2 icebreaker shirts (1 long sleeve 1 short) every day. I had a short skirt and light top for evening. Very light sleeping bag. nano puff jacket, light rain jacket, pack cover. Backpack weighed 4.5 kg I could not have comfortable carried more. At 70 with osteoporosis and arthritis, 60 kg, this was my limit. And everything was great. I used everything I had and didn't need anything I was without.
What grams are your icebreaker shirts?

On the camino frances anything over 6 - 7 kg with water and snacks in the summer season is too heavy.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here is my list which includes full camping gear...

Total weight 9kg

Pack liner
Sleeping bag
Sleeping mat
Pillow
Tent
Sarong

Sun hat
Buff
Sun glasses
Clothing: shorts, trousers, socks, tops, pants
Flip flops
Shoes Hiking
Towel
Rain jacket
Water bottles

Meds
Micropore Surgical Tape
Sunscreen
Deodrant
Toothbrush & Toothpaste
Tissues
Sowing kit
Ear plugs
Swiss knife
Spork

Kindle
Tablet
Smartphone (Sam S5)
Power pack 10000mh (3x charge)
USB Power lead
Head phones x2
Wallet
Guide book

I am use to carring up to 15 kg as I backpack a lot. I weigh 75kg. 9kg felt light to me.

My last two partial camino's my pack weighed around 7kg. I used just about everything I brought with me at one time or another. Sure, it seems to weigh a ton sometimes when I'm "hefting" it up to put it on but once on it feels like a feather because my pack fits me ohhhhhh so comfortably! I packed and repacked my other two capacity backpacks in the thought of going smaller but they never did feel as nice as my tried and true.
Hi, first mention of how the backpack fits and I think this is important. Got mine at REI and the salesperson spent a lot of time measuring me, adjusting all the straps, loading it with sand bags so I could walk around the store and see how it was. So, it is very comfortable! Others have already said nearly every thing I might say. Just want to applaud "start slow and get slower"! And don't push for distance. I am 82, walked last year, and made it fine by remembering there are no "police" deciding how far and how fast anyone need walk. Buen Camino

Well, here's some perspective.

Driving across the city today to visit my wife in hospital (she's had a hip replacement) I turned on the wireless and chanced on an interview with the leader of an Australian film crew planning a documentary on the porters who transport the packs of tour groupies to the Everest base camp.

These blokes are aged from their teens into their 70's. It's a thirteen day hike from pick-up at the remote airport to base camp. The packs they carry are of the order of 90kg! They have to provide their own food and camping gear. Typically they take home around $78 for this effort.

Expect to have to outlay around $60,000 to join one of these tour groups if you want to climb Everest.

Someone's making a lot of money and it's not the porters.

We really live in a different world!

De Colores

Bogong.
Hi Bogong. Did you mean 19 KG not 90 cheers Tony

8kg, not including water. No need to carry food on Caminos I have walked, and this includes complete rain and sleep gear.

Hi Bogong. Did you mean 19 KG not 90 cheers Tony

No, Tony. Absolutely 90kg according to the report. I've heard/read other reports of phenominal weights lugged by these blokes but while recalling they made me gasp I can't recall the amounts.

When I bushwalked/Xc skied in my younger days I would regularly hump a 30kg pack for up to 50k's a day through some pretty tough mountain stuff(I couldn't do it now) but I couldn't begin to contempate what three times that weight would entail.

De Colores

Bogong

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Lots of good info on this thread. I would like to know about packing for mid September through October. I have a 36 L pack. Will have 2pair liner socks, 2pair wool socks,change of underwear, 1 short sleeve,1 sleeveless and one long sleeve shirt. A poncho and a windbreaker with hood. Only a bed liner. I am also considering a lightweight down jacket with hood. It's hard to know what to bring, as it will be quite warm when I start, and I imagine quite cold by time I get to Finisterre the end of October. I'm at about 10lbs right now. Ideas......?
Thanks

Sounds good, you'll need something warm though like a fleece or your down jacket. Not necessarily whilst you're walking but when you stop.
Buen camino :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lots of good info on this thread. I would like to know about packing for mid September through October. I have a 36 L pack. Will have 2pair liner socks, 2pair wool socks,change of underwear, 1 short sleeve,1 sleeveless and one long sleeve shirt. A poncho and a windbreaker with hood. Only a bed liner. I am also considering a lightweight down jacket with hood. It's hard to know what to bring, as it will be quite warm when I start, and I imagine quite cold by time I get to Finisterre the end of October. I'm at about 10lbs right now. Ideas......?
Thanks

sound like you are on track ... I am walking at about the same time (15th at Orrison) 35lt pack
and at 7.5kgs (16.5lbs .. plus water) Im 80kgs. Cannot make up my mind about a Ultra light vest as well as a light fleece (covers arms) .. see you on the track

Thanks
So glad you asked this. I am leaving SJPdP Sept. 5 and plan to end Oct. 11. Can't decide about sleeping bag or just a liner. My sleeping bag weighs 2 lbs. I have a lightweight down jacket, but don't know if I'll need it. Need to pack light as I have shoulder issues.

So glad you asked this. I am leaving SJPdP Sept. 5 and plan to end Oct. 11. Can't decide about sleeping bag or just a liner. My sleeping bag weighs 2 lbs. I have a lightweight down jacket, but don't know if I'll need it. Need to pack light as I have shoulder issues.
... I am 10 days later, I am opting for a very light/small sleeping bag 0.7kgs .. thinking to take both fleece and vest .... (both very light) and will shed which ever doesn't work out ... I favor the vest ( i have a suitcase going ahead at main stops and will retire whatever does not work )

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks
Hi Julie and others walking Sept/Oct - I walked these months a few years back and will be back again this Oct. You are right that it's hot at the beginning and cold/wet during the end. I ended up ditching my warm thermals/vest in the first few days as my pack was way too heavy and I didn't need them at all. By Santiago (I went onto to Muxia and beyond), I bought a fleece from a cheap $2 type shop, warm leggings and a kind fellow pilgrim gave me a poncho and pants as she was about to go home. (Many hostels have tables of stuff that pilgrims have ditched for you to take free!) So I suggest packing for the lighter weather early on and buying some warmer gear later as you go. I did however, bring a lightweight sleeping bag from day one as I found nights cool. Hope this helps.

I hope to walk in October. My pack size is 20 litres. It fits my back and doesn't upset my new hip. I walked the Potuguese in sandals and plan to use these again. Hence one pr socks in case of a hot spot or cold feet.1 change of clothes, a very light/warm down jacket, sleep bag liner treated. Very small wash bag. Very light Decathlon cycle cape. Everything goes easily in the pack. Weighs 4.3kg. Water and food to add.

I tend to agree with Marbuck...the weight 'rules' can get a tad out of control. I'm 60 yrs old, 5'4" with all kinds of medical issues and was absolutely fine walking with 8+ kg on all 3 of my camino. Summers can be much lighter pack wise...I walk in the Fall generally and I think the season requires dressing for all kinds of weather extremes from scorching sun to freezing rain. Just don't stress over numbers. If your pack is comfortable for you, go with it. If you find you can't manage it, you'll figure out your options. Staying 'light of soul/mind/heart' is more important than a lighter pack. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I tend to agree with Marbuck...the weight 'rules' can get a tad out of control. I'm 60 yrs old, 5'4" with all kinds of medical issues and was absolutely fine walking with 8+ kg on all 3 of my camino. Summers can be much lighter pack wise...I walk in the Fall generally and I think the season requires dressing for all kinds of weather extremes from scorching sun to freezing rain. Just don't stress over numbers. If your pack is comfortable for you, go with it. If you find you can't manage it, you'll figure out your options. Staying 'light of soul/mind/heart' is more important than a lighter pack. Buen Camino!
You have to know yourself. I couldn't carry 8+kg. I am 72, 5'3 with arthritis and osteoperosis. I need to stay under 5kg. Everyone is different, but in general I would say the lighter the better. One doesn't need much on the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.