• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much french do I need to know?

FXDB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances en mayo 2013
Hello,
Not sure if this has been asked before but I'm leaving for my first camino in about a week and a half. i'll land in San Sebastian and take trains to SJPDP. I know plenty of Spanish but how much french do I need to know?

Thanks

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
You'll only spend a day amd a half in France so you should be fine. :p you cross the border into Spain on Day One.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would suggest knowing at least enough to read signs, directions and make change with your money. Everything here is bi-lingual, that being French and Euskadi. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Every person under 30 years CAN speak English mate , even the Parisians.
If they can't then the internet is off for them one would think .
We found trouble on the Portuguese with the elderly but the young ones there were very fluent in English. Same as the french......
BUT you are in the Basque country and they sure do spell some things different.

Please and thank you take you a long way FXDB ,

Enjoy and take your time,
David

FXDB said:
Not sure if this has been asked before but I'm leaving for my first camino in about a week and a half. i'll land in San Sebastian and take trains to SJPDP. I know plenty of Spanish but how much french do I need to know?

For the pilgrim stuff, NONE -- (well, possibly "Où est le Camino ?" "Where is the Camino")

For minimalist social activity -- bonjour, bonsoir, excusez-moi, "je ne parle pas français", "parlez-vous anglais ou espagnol ?"

For buying things -- s'il vous plaît, merci, the phrases "ceci" (this) "cela" (that) "comme ça" (of those/like that) "combien ?" (how much ?), the basic numbers, and some extremely basic cash machine interface stuff

----

For actually *walking* in France, you would need much MUCH more than that !!! :mrgreen:

Thornley said:
Every person under 30 years CAN speak English mate , even the Parisians

This is just NOT TRUE.

English is commonly spoken in urban areas, but out in the sticks it is RARELY understood -- but the member is not walking through very much of France, so this is 99% irrelevant.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I apologise Jabba Papa saying EVERY person under 30 speaks english.

I lived in a little village on the Camino from Le Puy for one year.
The villages are called Concots/Eslauzels , between Limongne en Quercy and Vaylats/Cahor.
Not many people there mate but please believe me if the kids wanted a job in Cahors or St. Cirq Lapopie then they had to know some english.
This part of The Lot is the sticks with only a Tabac in town now but every chance they had they tried english.
What percentage do you think Jabba Papa of young people in France between 15 and 30 who don't know the english words please or thank you ??
On many occasions on the GR 65 when lost we asked ... Do you speak any English ....a little...99%

A little hint FXBD...once you commence and the pressure point start on the feet the last problem you will have is who speaks french or for tat matter spanish. :D

Thornley said:
I lived in a little village on the Camino from Le Puy for one year.
The villages are called Concots/Eslauzels , between Limongne en Quercy and Vaylats/Cahor.
Not many people there mate but please believe me if the kids wanted a job in Cahors or St. Cirq Lapopie then they had to know some english.

There are regional variations, and English is (granted) more common in the more touristy areas than the less touristy ones.

The truth lies somewhere between your comments and mine, I'd guess :)

Thanks so much for the responses guys! I'm gonna make sure I at least know the basics. I just hate going to a place and expect for people to adapt to me.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back