• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much money /day?

Raelyn Crossley

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances start May 8 (2016)
I'm leaving from Canada May 5th. Just want a rough estimate of cost/day ( please specify currency). I'll be staying in the aubergues and eating there too. I'll also eat out of pack on the way or sometimes stop for lunch if cheap enough.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Eat good meal every night 10eu
Since breakfast is not healthy, so tortilla in the morning with cofee 5 eu
snack/lunch 5 eu
alberque 10-12 eu
25 -30 eu/day

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm leaving from Canada May 5th. Just want a rough estimate of cost/day ( please specify currency). I'll be staying in the aubergues and eating there too. I'll also eat out of pack on the way or sometimes stop for lunch if cheap enough.
Hi Raelyn, last year I walked 37 day's and I spend about € 1400.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

A common concern and question I think....

Here are some thoughts. http://robscamino.com/27th-of-june-camino-budget/

Basically, start at e25 / day and work upwards according to your 'needs' ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A common concern and question I think....

Here are some thoughts. http://robscamino.com/27th-of-june-camino-budget/

Basically, start at e25 / day and work upwards according to your 'needs' ;)
I agree Robo, budget is varied for everybody. It's another nice thing of the Camino. You can do it very cheap or you can splurge.
I tend to travel like you and so my daily costs are around 70 Euros (all included) but I know you can easily get by for 35 Euros.
Hopefully the weather will improve soon. We were all spoiled when we walked last May/June....it was beautiful.
Yours is coming up soon. I just got some Euros yesterday "to get in the mood " :)

Last edited:
I budget about €30/day. You can often get by on half that. But every so often it's nice to stay at a hotel or eat something other than the menu peregrino.

30 euros (without extras as an occasional good restaurant, museums, medicines or equipment replacement).
It gets more expensive as you approach Compostela (there is more demand, so a bit of regional inflation)
Remember that not all albergues have kitchen facilities. And cooking for just one person, in my opinion, is not cheaper than "menú del día". It is more cost-efficient (and more fun, evidently) when many persons organize a collective diner.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I budget about €30/day. You can often get by on half that. But every so often it's nice to stay at a hotel or eat something other than the menu peregrino.

Yes exactly. Sometimes you want a bit of luxury - be that nicer food when available or your own room for a night. Its nice to be able to do that when you want to. Of course some people are on a tight budget out of necessity, but its nice to have some wiggle room if you can.

I plan on every once in a while getting a good bottle of wine with dinner if the setting is great or taking a nice bottle of wine back to an Albergue to help make the discussion with other pilgrims more spirited. I will also be doing tourist things (museums, bus tours, and such) in some of the major cities. There is a Senior rate at the Pardor's and that is tempting me, especially in Leon, but pricey. Still this is a once in a life-time (for some of us) trip.

30 euros (without extras as an occasional good restaurant, museums, medicines or equipment replacement).
It gets more expensive as you approach Compostela (there is more demand, so a bit of regional inflation)
Remember that not all albergues have kitchen facilities. And cooking for just one person, in my opinion, is not cheaper than "menú del día". It is more cost-efficient (and more fun, evidently) when many persons organize a collective diner.
A couple of years ago in Santa Domingo de Calzada. I along with another cooked a big chorizo and chick pea stew, plenty of spuds. salad and a couple of water melons for dessert. We fed 14 people for about €15 in total. Some poor chap from Lanzarote had all his stuff stolen and was waiting for a money order to come through. He couldn't believe that we were giving out free dinner and was delighted to join us. We were known as the 'stew ladies' for the rest of the trip.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A couple of years ago in Santa Domingo de Calzada. I along with another cooked a big chorizo and chick pea stew, plenty of spuds. salad and a couple of water melons for dessert. We fed 14 people for about €15 in total. Some poor chap from Lanzarote had all his stuff stolen and was waiting for a money order to come through.

Moral: I am a very lousy, pathetic shopper :(.
I'd better stay with "menú del día" until I manage to be more cost savvy.:p

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back