• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much money to bring on the Camino Frances.

Jola Dvr

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug-Sep 2015
Hi Everyone! I've been following different blogs and posts on the subject and I noticed that the prices of Albergues and hotels have gone up greatly since I first read about it about a year ago.
I am aiming for around 35 EUR per day. Is this amount realistic enough for Sep 2015?

I should mention I am not a morning riser and I don't plan on racing other pilgrims to the Albergues. I like my morning coffee and occasional (5 out of 35 days) single room accommodation to catch up on sleep and do laundry.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Everyone! I've been following different blogs and posts on the subject and I noticed that the prices of Albergues and hotels have gone up greatly since I first read about it about a year ago.
I am aiming for around 35 EUR per day. Is this amount realistic enough for Sep 2015?

I should mention I am not a morning riser and I don't plan on racing other pilgrims to the Albergues. I like my morning coffee and occasional (5 out of 35 days) single room accommodation to catch up on sleep and do laundry.

I'm budgeted 50€ a day for the occasional "private room". Morning is also my quiet time. ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
30 euros a day is a very common amount when planning and is the figure I use. Last camino I had skinny days that only cost 15 euros and others 30+ so it does seem to balance out but an emergency backup plan is prudent.
Once off the camino proper; cost sky rocket so hanging around Santiago etc expensive.

Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
Since there are ATMs along the camino, you may want to carry a few days to weeks worth of euros with you and periodically replenish your stash from an ATM. That's what I plan to do :) Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Re. your headline question of how how much money to "bring" on the Camino, I'd start with about 300 euros cash, and withdraw money when less than 50 euros are left.
You can do it on 35 euros per day, but you should expect the unexpected. If you have 50 euros available per day, as others have recommended, you should be on the safe side.

I have no idea since I have never been to Spain. I don't know the prices for food and cafes, laundry or souvenirs, therefore I can only make assumptions based on other peoples spending.
Most albuergues are 10 - 15 euros per person. Some are 5, some are free. Many have a peregrino meal for 8-10 euro. In most places that is going to be a carb heavy meal (french fries!). Many albuergues have a little kitchen you can use to make your own dinner, and there is usually a little grocery where you can pick up a few things to cook your own and grab a little fruit or a can of tuna for the next day for a lot less. Some people just have a few bites at the bar and skip dinner.
Many albuergues offer a little breakfast with cafe con leche in the morning for 3-5 euro. Personally I like to walk a bit before I sit down for just a coffee for about 2 euro.
You will not find laundrettes along the Camino. Many albuergues have places where you can hand wash your things, which is why everyone takes fast drying (and light weight) tech clothing along with pins for drying. Some albuergues have machines you can use, usually 3 euro for wash and the same for drying. Some places will take the 6 euro from you and do it for you. During the day you will normally pass a place or two to buy a bocadillo for 5 euro. A bocadillo is a rather large sandwich. That, along with a piece of fruit and some pintxos or tapas (1-2 euro each) at the bar was often more than enough for me for a day. Some places have actual restaurants where you can choose your meal.
Some days I just wanted some privacy or a bathtub so I stayed in a hotel or a hostel which could run around 20 - 30 a night or in larger towns 60-80.
So you see, depending on whether you like a beer in the evening (about 5 euro) and how big your appetite is or how willing you are to cook your own and how well you can deal with a crowded albuergue every night you can spend a lot or a little.

Last edited:
I should mention I am not a morning riser
Other pilgrims may change that, and the albergues will kick you out by 0800 to 0830!

I have never had a problem spending 30E or less per day, but I stay almost exclusively in albergues. Donativo albergues are not free, by the way; they just don't set a price. They still have all the expenses of albergues that set a fee.

The least likely place to find a washing machine and dryer is in a private room establishment, like a hotel or hostal. Almost all albergues have them now. It typically is 3E to wash and 3E to dry. Save the dryer fee by using the clothes line (for which you should bring some clothes pins or diaper pins).

Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I carried only about a week's worth of euros on me and used ATMs along the way when necessary. Depending on where you are coming from, make sure your debit card will work. I am not a morning person either. I found that, after getting kicked out as Falcon alluded to, I walked for another hour or two until I was fully awake, then stopped for a nice hot cup of cafe y croissant. Perfect!

My only issue was that a few small villages would have no money left in the ATMs by the time I arrived, inevitably on a Friday afternoon. I would be stressed for cash until the following Monday.

I have to do better the next time.

I budgeted about €30 per day in 2013 and it worked well - most days cheap, a few extravagant.

Buen Camino

Thanks a lot guys for all the information. It is a huge help for a person who's never been on a trip longer than 2 weeks. It's hard to evaluate all the details. I really appreciate all the advice.

As Falcon said in his response there are no free albergues, they are the ones that operate on donations and their costs are just as great as the one that charge 5 to 10 euros. If you plan on single rooms more than often I would be planning on budgeting 50 euros a day. Low budget=10/night, 3/breakfast, 5/lunch, 6/drinks and dinner 10/day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back