• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much of your equipment you already had at home?

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
I am asking this because I've been reading many threads in which people get really inflamed defending one type of equipment or another. And, imho, independently of what kind of equipment you decide to use, it should be tried before you start walking the Camino and be comfortable for you. Therefore, sometimes things you already have can be as good as brand new ones, bought specially for this journey.

Do you agree with that?

For my Camino, I only bought 2 things specially for that journey: an ultra-light sleeping bag and one of those "quick-drying-superlight" sports t-shirt. All the rest were things I had at home.

For the backpack, it was the most unusual choice, but in the end one that was in front of my eyes. After trying a few different models, I used one that came with my Dell laptop. It's a computer backpack, very small, but it was cushioned all over, super comfortable, a few compartments to organize my stuff and - the most important - I was already used to carry it around everyday. And because it was small, it 'forced' me do my Camino with a pack lighter than 5kg (10% of my body weight).

Shoes I've mentioned in other threads before: my loved Mizunos. No special socks, just chose the ones I had been using for more than a year while training for the Camino and realized that fit well with the shoes.

Which piece of equipment would you say "I just used what I had at home and worked well"? And is there anything you would certainly buy specifically for the Camino?

(Of course it counts if you are the athletic type that has all sorts of cool sport stuff - but you had it home beforehand, that's the important part!)

Sorry if the post is too long (and with some English mistakes), but I'm really curious about other people's experiences!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
After 5 Caminos much more tha. i will ever need. I come homr from the Camino and store all my stuff in large plastic containers until the next year, except for my walking pants, those I like to use on weekends or at the dog run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing in special. Just hearing from other people, so I can maybe travel lighter and cheaper when I do my second Camino! But it is probably going to be in a colder month, so I may have to pay extra attention to jumper/fleece suggestions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Things I am taking from home for my first camino in the fall: boots and socks, clothing, including a couple of newer merino items, which I have worn since purchase, jacket, fleece vest and rain poncho. All the above have been tested on summer backpacking trips in the Canadian Rockies. Things I bought new for the camino: Gregory Z40 pack, to hold my gear while not as large as a pack for backpacking, sleeping bag, not down fill: fairly lightweight but heavier weight for fill than my backpacking sleeping bags (I am allergic to down and my down bags for backpacking are warmer than I need for the camino and hard on the breathing after a week or two of use). I have not yet tested either of these items, but shall be sleeping in the new sleeping bag for most of the next month. Small items: I have put together a laundry kit, consisting of laundry powder, a sink stopper, a cord for hanging my personal laundry, and diaper (nappy) pins. I shall have to make an adjustment in my laundry kit, since I have realized that all my new merino items would soon be very holey indeed if pinned up with large pins through them. I am taking my SPOT emergency beacon and am glad to have used it previously. I am not accustomed to the availability of pharmacies and other stores when I am walking. And dangers on the camino are different from those in the backcountry and may require different supplies (a safety vest?).

I generally pick things up when I see them in charity shops (I have an aversion to buying new - the responsibility of the ethics of manufacture and the HUGE amount of STUFF - recycled is good..!) Most of my walking/cycling kit has been found this way , but it does mean getting it when you see it. I have excellent, comfy cycling shoes, jackets, vomps, money-belts, waterproof belt and mapcases etc. My Tilley hat and lovely walking poles, were secondhand off ebay. My latest pair of walking boots are new - birthday present from my husband!
The dog's trailer was £25 off ebay too - but he has only managed the uk portions of pilgrimage...
Our superlight tent was new and tested locally before setting off. My walking trailer was made by a lovely guy in Canada. That too was agonised over and used on several trips locally before on the Via Aurelia.
I think you are quite right about using and testing kit locally before any long trip , and ensuring that you do really need it and it is up to the job. Usually a pilgrimage is pretty tough on kit and you do not want to replace stuff en route. Although a pocketful of assorted cable ties mends most things..!
Oh and I treated myself to a lush Macabi skirt which I bought off a kind pilgrim on this forum...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, I had to think about this for a bit. This is my opinion and not meant for advice to anyone. The only thing I could think of is a small bottle of vodka in a metal container purchased in any of the markets in Spain. It is a multi use item as is most of my gear. I use it for soar throat gargling,disinfectant,cleaning my eye glasses,washing my hands,and on occasion a tsp in my water bottle to purify suspect H2O . When empty it is relegated to a spare water container. My mantra is " Less is Best" if you aren't wearing it you are carrying it. I believe some folks over think the camino and make it too complicated. After all it is just a long walk through a wonderful country. The journey is always too short for me in the end. I have a bit of melancholy when I get to Santiago because the journey is at a close for another year. I always look forward to my next trip and my pack is loaded for next year on my return home. Sorry about the long winded reply. Buen Camino!

Rather discovered some things for the Camino that I shall use at home afterwards: like Lush solid shampoo and conditioner will come along to the gym. Some of the clothes that I had to buy. Quick dry fleece hoodie (only had the usual cotton ones before), quick dry lightweight t-shirts (the same - cotton before). Also one cycling t-shirt that I bought on the Camino, with Camino specific print.

I am asking this because I've been reading many threads in which people get really inflamed defending one type of equipment or another. And, imho, independently of what kind of equipment you decide to use, it should be tried before you start walking the Camino and be comfortable for you. Therefore, sometimes things you already have can be as good as brand new ones, bought specially for this journey.

Do you agree with that?

For my Camino, I only bought 2 things specially for that journey: an ultra-light sleeping bag and one of those "quick-drying-superlight" sports t-shirt. All the rest were things I had at home.

For the backpack, it was the most unusual choice, but in the end one that was in front of my eyes. After trying a few different models, I used one that came with my Dell laptop. It's a computer backpack, very small, but it was cushioned all over, super comfortable, a few compartments to organize my stuff and - the most important - I was already used to carry it around everyday. And because it was small, it 'forced' me do my Camino with a pack lighter than 5kg (10% of my body weight).

Shoes I've mentioned in other threads before: my loved Mizunos. No special socks, just chose the ones I had been using for more than a year while training for the Camino and realized that fit well with the shoes.

Which piece of equipment would you say "I just used what I had at home and worked well"? And is there anything you would certainly buy specifically for the Camino?

(Of course it counts if you are the athletic type that has all sorts of cool sport stuff - but you had it home beforehand, that's the important part!)

Sorry if the post is too long (and with some English mistakes), but I'm really curious about other people's experiences!

I left on short notice because sometimes that's the only way to ensure you get things done--so three days of planning is all I had after I spontaneously purchased a ticket. Therefore I mostly just took what I had. Funny you mention Mizunos, too, because those are my favorite and I simply walked out of the house and onto the plane with them and they worked great!

I almost forgot to answer your other question: one thing I invested in for the next trip is a high quality set of hiking poles. I've never needed them while hiking before so thought they were unnecessary, but for the last 200km of my last walk they became vital and I purchased some cheap ones on the trail.

I guess I had a lot of technical gear already from hiking and backpacking around Europe, so I didn't have to buy much.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For my first Camino I had to buy a rucksack, walking shoes and poles as I didn!t have any. Everything else I already owned.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The only thing I plan to have next time is a quick drying fleece. I poured for a week and the dryers in the alburgues never dried the one I brought properly!

I bought quite a few things for my first camino, some of which have survived to be used on subsequent pilgrimage walks. Last year, on the CI, I don't think there was anything much that hadn't already been on a previous pilgrimage or a long hike. I did buy a pair of fingerless gloves in the UK on the way because I had left my regular pair at home, but I think that was about all. Even the spare pair of bootlaces had been on earlier hikes, clearly without being used!

While I had versions of most gear (apart from the Pacer Poles), I'm finding that I replace with lighter weight items.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very interesting question. Being a non walker and hiker, I had almost no gear. Buying socks has been insane as I have tried a half dozen pair and just this week discovered one that worked for me. It turns out my feet do not like wool! Anyway, now I am rambling.

The one main item I am taking is a wind shirt. I am surprise no one talks about them on the forum. I have a few of them since I use to professionally fish and sponsors provided them. Keep in mind I am starting early September. It is super light, wind resistant, breathes and is lightly water repellent. With layers, I will not need a jacket.

But for the most part, I have had to purchase most items. Since I started planning in October, I have had time to research and shop. Plus it made my birthday and Christmas list for family very easy.

I have tested everything relentlessly. Currently my backpack is packed and sitting in the living room right now with 47 days to go (as if I were counting).

Shoes, poles and an ultralight sleeping bag. Everything else was pretty much things I already had.

I only bought a DEET impregnated silk sheet sleeping bag, everything else I already had or made do. I managed to get under 5 kg with the silk bag as it all had to fit into a cheap rucksack that was compliant for use as carry on luggage for the UK budget airlines.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I only bought a DEET impregnated silk sheet sleeping bag, everything else I already had or made do....
I've not yet walked a Camino, but I'm a light backpacker (not ultra-light) with a wilderness hiking background.

I do plan to buy, Camino specific, a Sea-to-Summit, sleeping bag liner with the anti-bed bug treatment. I may break down and buy an inflatable pillow too, but I'm not sure about that.

One thing I do, on a regular basis, is buy new hiking boots/shoes. About every other year. Each time they get lighter. So my footwear is NOT Camino specific. Just ordered a pair of LaSportiva Synthesis mid-shoe/boots. 1.7 pounds per pair . . . currently on back-order so not sure when those will arrive. They are slightly lighter than my Zamberlain light hiking boots. I prefer GoreTex shoes/boots, but I do NOT have a problem with overly sweaty feet so I understand that some prefer NON-Gore Tex footwear, but I strongly prefer dry feet. As I type I am wearing Zamberlain non-Gore Tex light hiking shoes but I really dislike wearing them in wet conditions and would probably wear them on our upcoming Camino if they were the Gore Tex model.

As I hike a lot at home I buy new stuff all the time. The only thing i bought just for my first camino was my light sleeping bag. The rest is stuff I had or things I use on other trips as well. Things I bought was of course tested in similar walks. For instance I packed all my things in the bag and wore the clothes and shoes (even the undies) on several longer walks including a 40 km asphalt hike from home to work. So I knew that they would function.

Very interesting question. Being a non walker and hiker, I had almost no gear. Buying socks has been insane as I have tried a half dozen pair and just this week discovered one that worked for me. It turns out my feet do not like wool! Anyway, now I am rambling.

The one main item I am taking is a wind shirt. I am surprise no one talks about them on the forum. I have a few of them since I use to professionally fish and sponsors provided them. Keep in mind I am starting early September. It is super light, wind resistant, breathes and is lightly water repellent. With layers, I will not need a jacket.

But for the most part, I have had to purchase most items. Since I started planning in October, I have had time to research and shop. Plus it made my birthday and Christmas list for family very easy.

I have tested everything relentlessly. Currently my backpack is packed and sitting in the living room right now with 47 days to go (as if I were counting).
WldWil what brand is your shirt and what is the fabric? As a female, I have one thing yet to find, and that is a long sleeve shirt/blouse (I like to cover my arms in all seasons) that is somewhat price friendly. Thanks. Maggie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
...As a female, I have one thing yet to find, and that is a long sleeve shirt/blouse (I like to cover my arms in all seasons) that is somewhat price friendly. Thanks. Maggie

I took a REI Sahara Shirt both times I went. I had to mail order it in, but was pleased with it's versatility: UPF 50+ protection, extendable collar, roll-up sleeves, zippered vents on each side, and a hidden zippered pocket which neatly carried 5 or 10 Euros for purchases en route.
http://www.rei.com/product/861363/rei-sahara-long-sleeve-shirt-womens

I had to purchase almost all my kit for my first trip, except for one or two items that I borrowed. Got quite expensive, though I did manage a few "scores" from second hand shops.

Even my second trip I purchased a lot of items, as I fine-tuned and tweaked my kit to reduce weight. But my favorite purchase for my second trip was my Pacer poles - loved 'em!

Last edited:
I took a REI Sahara Shirt both times I went. I had to mail order it in, but was pleased with it's versatility: UPF 50+ protection, extendable collar, roll-up sleeves, zippered vents on each side, and a hidden zippered pocket which neatly carried 5 or 10 Euros for purchases en route.
http://www.rei.com/product/861363/rei-sahara-long-sleeve-shirt-womens

I had to purchase almost all my kit for my first trip, except for one or two items that I borrowed. Got quite expensive, though I did manage a few "scores" from second hand shops.

Even my second trip I purchased a lot of items, as I fine-tuned and tweaked my kit to reduce weight. But my favorite purchase for my second trip was my Pacer poles - loved 'em!
Hi Sheesh…I'm in Canada and it's a problem shipping from the U.S. so I'll check out our Mountain Equipment Coop here in Victoria for something similar. Yes, I found a great deal on walking pants from a thrift shop. I'm buying my poles and poncho in St. Jean. Appreciate it.

WldWil what brand is your shirt and what is the fabric? As a female, I have one thing yet to find, and that is a long sleeve shirt/blouse (I like to cover my arms in all seasons) that is somewhat price friendly. Thanks. Maggie

I always had a Gander Mountain nearby and so went there. Plus, it is where my credit card reward points are for and they were a past sponsor when I use to professional walleye fish. They have been the best on water shirts I found. I’ve also been to Canada almost every year for the past 35 years and often times twice.

The brand is Gander Mountain http://www.gandermountain.com/ and I get the guidewear. They have meshed ventilated backs handy pockets and rollable sleeves that button up.

My other go to shirt is by Columbia and is the Performance Fishing Gear series with same features as above.

Plus, you look good in it and can use it back home. I forgot to add that this is actually the only other item besides my windshirt I already had.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have built stuff up over several caminos , some new, some second hand, some given, some swapped. If I am not a compulsive gatherer of gear then I am borderline. But I think most of it is not really necessary,lots of people walk in ordinary civvy gear with no special equipment and they get along fine without them. However some bits of equipment have left an impression on me, on my late year Camino I had a Montbell super stretch hugger#2 ul sleeping bag, I still slept in it when I came home. A montane reversible lightweight fleece, great for wearing in most conditions. Walking sticks, have used various ones, as someone else posted use aluminium not carbon they are lot less lethal if you fall over on them, was tempted to use pacers on my camino last year to protect my knees, but you are locked in to a walking style to get maximum efficiency out of them and not sure that's what I wanted. Next time I walk I could end up looking for a stick, have walked with people who have carved the most incredible things and I would like to give it a go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not yet walked a Camino, but I'm a light backpacker (not ultra-light) with a wilderness hiking background.

I do plan to buy, Camino specific, a Sea-to-Summit, sleeping bag liner with the anti-bed bug treatment. I may break down and buy an inflatable pillow too, but I'm not sure about that.

One thing I do, on a regular basis, is buy new hiking boots/shoes. About every other year. Each time they get lighter. So my footwear is NOT Camino specific. Just ordered a pair of LaSportiva Synthesis mid-shoe/boots. 1.7 pounds per pair . . . currently on back-order so not sure when those will arrive. They are slightly lighter than my Zamberlain light hiking boots. I prefer GoreTex shoes/boots, but I do NOT have a problem with overly sweaty feet so I understand that some prefer NON-Gore Tex footwear, but I strongly prefer dry feet. As I type I am wearing Zamberlain non-Gore Tex light hiking shoes but I really dislike wearing them in wet conditions and would probably wear them on our upcoming Camino if they were the Gore Tex model.

I am more a tight (keep cost to the minimum) backpacker :)
I bought a cheap inflatable pillow for one of my walks in Auz.....waste of time, chucked it away - maybe I should have spent a bit more.

I did the François Camino and you really don't need any special equipment if you are 1/2 fit (even walking sticks or water bottles) and a cheap pair of sandals is more then sufficient if you manage to keep the pack weight down - I can hear the howls of disagreement as I type this :) Enjoy your Camino my friend.

I used my Camino as an excuse to upgrade all my walking gear. Most of my kit was old and because of our climate was ok for walking here, would probably have done for the Camino in a push but I got to buy gear I only drooled over online. :)

This worked for me too. I used to be an avid backpacker then over 20 years ago I had to stop due to work and then medical issues. I am now in pretty decent shape and my doctors say go for it.

on my first Camino, I bought boots(could only find men's and they were also too big and I ended up with a load of blisters after one week). Also bought a backpack ( which literally disintegrated after 3 Caminos - it got what is known as "fabric
fatigue ")! Bought sleeping bag in the local supermarket, a cheapie and in any case the only one I could find. And finally 2 pairs of hiking socks.
Since those days, I have gradually improved my gear, mainly due to the fact that a couple of outdoor stores have opened here in Costa Rica and people are taking more interest in outdoors activities.
However, when I read about all this gear by brand name, I feel, yes envious, but also find that sometimes people exaggerate! Sorry!

Last edited:
We have gathered our Camino kit over the last 7 years, initially in part for caravan holidays and walking then. We have found a make that we like and that can also be used for general wear as well as walking, although our specific 'camino' shirts are now kept for just that and holidays. The main aim for us is to travel light as well as to have things that wash and dry easily and that are comfortable. When replacing clothes we think 'camino' as well as home wear.
@mikevasey - the tobacconists on Exeter High St, junction to Rougement, sell very long walking poles with curved tops. They need carefully cutting to be a correct fit and ours have been on all our Caminos, but the idea of cutting and carving ones own is attractive.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
With me it's a mixture - some things I "already have", some things specially purchased. The nice thing about walking repeated Caminos is that the cost of purchased items becomes justified.
A good point Kanga - about the cost being justified by repeated walks on the Camino. I did think of that when looking at the high prices for much of the clothing, gear etc, but with my 80th coming up and this being my first walk, I wonder….how many more walks could I do:>) ?? I think I've invested wisely in what I feel are the most important items for me, backpack (Osprey), boots (Ahnu), rain pants and a couple of Merino tops. Other clothing items I had. I'm purchasing my poles and poncho in St. Jean.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.