• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much pavement on the Norte? Descriptions Please!

Time of past OR future Camino
People say there is more pavement walking on the Norte, but I am trying to figure out what that means! I am going to be walking on a new ankle joint and my husbandd has some minor knee issues so we (articulately me) have to be a bit careful. We are ok on pavement as long as we have “recovery” time. The only days on the Frances and Primitivo that got to us were walking in and out of cities and even that was OK because it was usually just a day and then we returned to the more typical mix of surfaces.

So here are my questions:
1. What % of pavement would you estimate? Is there a guide that describes the walking surfaces?
2. Are there full days with only pavement other than the cities? Multiple all pavement days in a row?

Thanks!
Liz

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Liz, long time no read. So happy to read you again, and so full of energy and anticipation for your next Camino.

I LOVED the Norte, because I never had to walk in one of those horrible tranctor tacks that have feet tiltled inwards. Nor those those slippery walks on slate or rocks being moved down hill by the rain with a gutter in the middle. But by the time I reached Pobena I was showing the first signs of Plantear Fasciitis. Knee was good though (it died on VDLP,with a big boom).

It’s not all tarmack, sidewalks, etc., but there is much more of it, and very few fields as on the Frances. I would recommend that you consult your ortho, your podiatrist, all the experts, to find the right shoe, the right insole, the right stretches, before you leave. (I wore Ultra G2X Salomons something or other, now would walk in Hoka One Ones only, but talking about my PF, not my busted knee - I don’t know what it will like post surgery yet).

Honnestly, I would compare it to the Primitivo which you know well. It’s not any worse in my recolection.

Hi Momonne, Its nice to be back! I had some health issues and our last walk was in Denmark — not much info on here for that one. I just got out of the habit. I hope your knee is OK, did you have to have a replacement? I’m sitting here recovering from a total ankle replacement and Camino dreaming to keep from going nuts with the inactivity! We are not doing our next walk til 2020 so I should have lots of time to work out the shoe/insole/stretch routine. You are right, though, that will be the key.

Your comparison to the Primitivo is really helpful. It gives me a good frame of reference. I’ll be tracking Laurie’s info on alternate routes and the updates on them also.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@ebrandt , no replacement needed for me, just meniscus tissue needing to be removed. The surprise will be the amount of arthrosis the doc told me today. I see him in 2months and we will schedule my surgery.

Ortho and I agree that I need the surgery only because of the Camino. For daily hobbling I am ok with the cortisone shots. He asked me « why do you need to do this? » and to light a candle for him. ;)

I don’t even want to aks how an ankle gets replaced. That’s a whole lot of little bones, isn’t it? So glad you had it done and can plan for 2020.;

People say there is more pavement walking on the Norte, but I am trying to figure out what that means! I am going to be walking on a new ankle joint and my husbandd has some minor knee issues so we (articulately me) have to be a bit careful. We are ok on pavement as long as we have “recovery” time. The only days on the Frances and Primitivo that got to us were walking in and out of cities and even that was OK because it was usually just a day and then we returned to the more typical mix of surfaces.

1. What % of pavement would you estimate? Is there a guide that describes the walking surfaces?
2. Are there full days with only pavement other than the cities? Multiple all pavement days in a row?

Thanks!
Liz

I too would like to know about the amount of road walking. I am thinking of doing the Norte this fall. Last year I walked the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon. There was alot of road walking and it started to do a number on my knee. Also there were many long stretches on very busy highways. Has anyone walked both and can you give me an estimate about the amount of road walking?

@ebrandt , no replacement needed for me, just meniscus tissue needing to be removed. The surprise will be the amount of arthrosis the doc told me today. I see him in 2months and we will schedule my surgery.

Ortho and I agree that I need the surgery only because of the Camino. For daily hobbling I am ok with the cortisone shots. He asked me « why do you need to do this? » and to light a candle for him. ;)

I don’t even want to aks how an ankle gets replaced. That’s a whole lot of little bones, isn’t it? So glad you had it done and can plan for 2020.;
It is a whole lot of bones. But I think it will be good. I injured it pretty severely in 2001 and was VERY overweight at the time. I had two reconstructions on it. I didn’t start walking until 2011 when I lost 140 + lbs. the ankle has been an issue for me and has been getting steadily worse. Last summer I had lots of issues while walking the Hærvejen in Denmark. I was only saved because the Trail was so soft—50% in wooded peat paths! I think the new ankle will really improve my situation. I will say my doc is totally on board with getting me distance walking again! He’s a PCT hiker so there was no need for rxplanations. Good luck with the meniscus and dealing with other consequences.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is a whole lot of bones. But I think it will be good. I injured it pretty severely in 2001 and was VERY overweight at the time. I had two reconstructions on it. I didn’t start walking until 2011 when I lost 140 + lbs. the ankle has been an issue for me and has been getting steadily worse. Last summer I had lots of issues while walking the Hærvejen in Denmark. I was only saved because the Trail was so soft—50% in wooded peat paths! I think the new ankle will really improve my situation. I will say my doc is totally on board with getting me distance walking again! He’s a PCT hiker so there was no need for rxplanations. Good luck with the meniscus and dealing with other consequences.
My ortho also telling me I did ths to myself with not only my dumb Camino idea bit the extra weight. :rolleyes: I see him again in 8 weeks, so ... 10 pounds lighter for a total of 65 less since my last Camino? Fingers crossed.

I too would like to know about the amount of road walking. I am thinking of doing the Norte this fall. Last year I walked the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon. There was alot of road walking and it started to do a number on my knee. Also there were many long stretches on very busy highways. Has anyone walked both and can you give me an estimate about the amount of road walking?

Hi
We walked the portuguese in 2014 and the Norte last October. I never say I like one better than the other as they have many differences as do we! I am 72 my partner 77. Norte far more Asphalt than any other pilgrimage we have done. There are ways to not walk on so much asphalt and we met many younger people who did just that. They had gps and downloaded terrain maps. For us marked areas were safer. Did we love this camino yes and we do recommend it. The cooler months we both believe are better when there is a lot of ashphalt walking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Liz,
My memory is that there is much more on the Norte than on the Primitivo, but I know how selective and unreliable memories are. I never wound up in a walking cast after my Primitivos, so that's one indicator.

The one example from the Norte that immediately comes to mind is that Santander (if you take the Camino leaving Santander rather than the coastal alternative) to San Vicente de la Barquera is virtually all asphalt. I remembered from 2006 that there was an earthen stretch after Comillas and before San Vicente (since it was such a relief after all that road), but that was gone last summer and the Camino had been re-routed to walk along the road all the way into San Vicente.

All of the coastal alternatives I walked last time would have been on the road almost exclusively if I had stayed on the camino. Some of the coastal alternatives do have some asphalt, of course, since you have to get from the Camino to the coast. Also, on the day out of Santander, the first 8 or so km are on pavement since you walk through the city. But all in all, I think the coastal alternatives really made a big difference for my feet, not to mention all the spectacular scenerey! They are sometimes much longer, though, so some days the stages were as many as 38k. Some re-jiggering of stages might be a good idea for some people.

So glad you are back on the forum! Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie. I looked at your alternatives and many are doable without long stages I’df you plan a fit an jigger some of the other stages. I guess a lot will depend on what the challenges are foe my new ankle and I won’t start to discover that til this summer! Liz

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The closest thing I have found is the sort of piece meal descriptions on Gronze. I have ordered the new Cicerone Guide. Maybe that will have more info!

Thanks!
Liz[/QUOTE]
My wife and I walked the Norte and Primitivo over 2015 and 2016. She was dealing with fairly severe leg problems due to pressure on spinal nerves. We kept the days short, usually 15 to 18km. Overall, I'd say the Norte was 80% paved surfaces, but I can't think of any day where there was no relief, either from walking on the shoulder on the gravel buildup, or by walking on a broken surface farm road. In the southern Norte a lot of the trail is near or on the N632 or N634. These highways are now bypassed by the A8 - what I would call a freeway, so are not very busy. You would have a choice. Stay on the N63x or follow the yellow arrows down a rocky path to the edge of the ocean, where you might find a campground or a few fishing boats, and then climb back up another rocky path to the N63x again. Sometimes we were happy to get back on the N63x, and sometimes we would even stay on it, rather than take the path down to the beach if we were short on time and wanted to save a km. After Ribadeo when you head inland to Santiago, there is quite a bit of day after day mostly hard surfaces, but again you have the choice of the edge of the road where the footing is uneven, or right down the middle. Susan's new book goes into some of the day to day detail, but I don't think Ivar allows me to name it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We found the first week from Irun to Bilbao was very hard. Downhills were slippery and I got to dread them . My friend and I and also a woman we walked with each fell on our bottoms at different times. (no injuries due to plenty of padding) You need good gripping soles on your shoes.
It was the one camino I wore Merrels and never again. Perhaps if I had had my Keens on ??

It was the one camino I wore Merrels and never again. Perhaps if I had had my Keens on ??

It's not necessarily the brand itself that makes the shoe slippery but the outsole. If you're concerned about slipping perhaps look for a shoe with Vibram soles, which are well-known for their 'stickiness'.

The closest thing I have found is the sort of piece meal descriptions on Gronze. I have ordered the new Cicerone Guide. Maybe that will have more info![/Q

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found the 2015 edition was very out of date when we used it last year. The german guide is far superior so every night we would get tips for the next day from the many germans on the route.

I found the 2015 edition was very out of date when we used it last year. The german guide is far superior so every night we would get tips for the next day from the many germans on the route.
I've seen a few references to the German guide. Does anyone know what it is called?

I've seen a few references to the German guide. Does anyone know what it is called?
Probably it is the guide in the Outdoor series byvRaimond Joos. It is very good, gives also many alternative routes. There's also a digital version, the paper version is small and will easily fit in a trouser pocket

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Probably it is the guide in the Outdoor series byvRaimond Joos. It is very good, gives also many alternative routes. There's also a digital version, the paper version is small and will easily fit in a trouser pocket
Ah thank you so much.

The Northern Camino's guide was totally overhauled, updated and was released in August of last year. I walked with the yellow German guide in 2010 after a German couple gave it to me in Llanes. It's ok, probably accurate, if it's still like it was 2010 then it misses a lot out,like the detours to Santo Toribio , the Norte option via Oviedio, the side pilgrimage to Covadonga, la Sierra de las Palancas, the Costa Naviega etc. The German guide has been doing this route a lot longer so has had time to refine and get more accurate the info it provides , but Dave and the Cicerone guide are doing a lot of catching up and quickly as well.

The Northern Camino's guide was totally overhauled, updated and was released in August of last year. I walked with the yellow German guide in 2010 after a German couple gave it to me in Llanes. It's ok, probably accurate, if it's still like it was 2010 then it misses a lot out,like the detours to Santo Toribio , the Norte option via Oviedio, the side pilgrimage to Covadonga, la Sierra de las Palancas, the Costa Naviega etc. The German guide has been doing this route a lot longer so has had time to refine and get more accurate the info it provides , but Dave and the Cicerone guide are doing a lot of catching up and quickly as well.
I don’t think that’s right. In this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/mar-stages.52094/#post-574849 Dave says it’s still not out. But maybe I’m wrong.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi
I don’t think that’s right. In this thread https://www.caminodesantiago. Wasme/community/threads/mar-stages.52094/#post-574849 Dave says it’s still not out. But maybe I’m wrong.

I looked at the Cicerone website and they have August 2017 as the latest updated guide. It could be wrong and it may be 2015 but looking at the thread the link takes me through to and it seems to be referring to the Camino do Mar/Ingles and Dave mentions problems with those routes getting updated and he has been waiting since 2016, not sure if it covers the other parts of the Northern Camino's guide.

This is what Dave said about Northern Caminos in that thread

Hi friends,

It's been a really long time since I've been in the forum. We've been in a holding pattern with our publisher on Northern Caminos for a while, though fortunately things are moving forward now

I know it was supposed to be out last May but there was s holdup with maps. He only has one book as of now. The Inglés is the new book he was talking about.

Hi

I looked at the Cicerone website and they have August 2017 as the latest updated guide. It could be wrong and it may be 2015 but looking at the thread the link takes me through to and it seems to be referring to the Camino do Mar/Ingles and Dave mentions problems with those routes getting updated and he has been waiting since 2016, not sure if it covers the other parts of the Northern Camino's guide.

I used the Wise Pilgrim app for the San Salvador & Primitivo last year. It was great not carrying a guide book. All the information was current. I have the full suite on my phone and this year I’ll be using the Norte app.

Thanks!
Liz
Bring boots and good walking shoes. Change frequently. You will be fine.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.