• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much planning

Beverly M

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2018)
I am planning on doing my Camino in September. I have read about equipment, routes, where to stay etc. I am wondering if it would be foolish to just pack the necessary items and show up and start walking? No other plan just get there and start. This for some reason has an appeal to me.
If this is a crazy idea what would be the most important things to consider in making a more concrete plan?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning on doing my Camino in September. I have read about equipment, routes, where to stay etc. I am wondering if it would be foolish to just pack the necessary items and show up and start walking? No other plan just get there and start. This for some reason has an appeal to me.
If this is a crazy idea what would be the most important things to consider in making a more concrete plan?

I don't think it's necessarily crazy but it depends on previous travel experience, how comfortable you are coping with the unexpected, your current level of fitness and which route you are considering. My only experience is on the Via de la Plata last Sept/Oct when the weather was hotter than normal for the first two and a half weeks. It was tough at times, the stages are long with few opportunities for taking on water or food along the way. I was glad that I had built up a good level of fitness in the preceding months so I could enjoy the experience to the greatest extent possible. From other pilgrims, I understand that the Frances is different with frequent opportunities for breaks, options for shorter days and more accommodation options. There are many examples on this forum of people who have done as you suggest, taking it easy for the first few days and building up along the way. I suggest at a minimum you break in your shoes/boots and do a practice walk with a loaded pack. It would be good to firm up on plans for the first couple of days, but fine to be flexible about how you go thereafter.
Whatever you decide, buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi BeverlyM
In my opinion and experience; and in particular., if contemplating the Camino Frances: then most definitely, yes. Go with the flow.
I’m fairly sure that because of your ‘planning to do the Camino in September ‘ you’re probably relatively fit and love walking. If you turn up with a backpack loaded with essentials and therefore a light one ., speak to locals and/or check with others where you start ; you’ll have a pretty fair handle on what to expect. A lot of fitness comes whilst you’re on camino. Just don’t overdo the speed at the start. Make sure before you leave home that you’re happy with your choice of backpack and footwear/socks. At least take them out and trial the fit and how to adjust the backpack straps. If your feet feel hot or tired., take a break, give them some air! Have enough water with you and a sunhat !
Many also like to have walking poles if you have need for that extra support for knees and balance etc. I wouldn’t leave for a camino without them but as you’ll have read many times; that on ‘most’ of the camino frances route,they are not a necessity. Heads up from me for poles though!!
Regarding where to stay ; believe me -it all falls into place, whether you decide to book ahead , or stop where you feel like it; or often decide to stop where your current walking group (family) are stopping. It’s diffucult to find a bad place to sleep. All great memories.
So again., many just turn up and start walking. If starting at St Jean PdP., pay a visit to the pilgrim info office and let them give you updated info / you’ll often as not start chatting to others starting too and make friends.
Have a Buen Camino ‘
Annie

My first camino was in 2001 on CF during high season. The latest was winter 2014. For those caminos and in-between I never planned lodging, stages, or much else. However, high season on CF is far, far more crowded now than all caminos I've walked.

If I were to walk CF next year, I'd book SJPP, Orisson, and Roncesvalles then plan based on pilgrim numbers, fitness, etc.

Buen camino.

It's remarkably easy to check and see if you are capable.
First, fill your pack with the approximate weight you intend to carry.
Then with it on your back, on three consecutive days, walk 20ks.
You'll know how capable you are at the end of the third day, perhaps earlier.
Regards and good travelling
Gerard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Camino Frances actually required very little planning beforehand. You can literally show up in Saint Jean Pied de Port with nothing and equip yourself and start your walk. The walk itself is neither technical or needs topographic or compass assistance. So much of it is on paved or semi paved surfaces. Sometimes in descriptions or videos it gets a bit over exaggerated in its difficulty and hardship. It is not in the least bit austere.
Show up, start walking and enjoy it.

Just go. No plans needed. Other than making sure you have the right gear and have tried it out.

The post that I copy below, was in response to a question about going it alone v group tours.
But I think it is also very relevant to your question about planning ;)

I am planning like crazy for our next Camino in late April. The CF, which I have done before.
Why plan? Because it's fun. And it's what I do when I can't be on the Camino....

I have already booked our first 3 nights accommodation.
After that, the plan goes out the window! :)
The planning process was merely to discover new places that we might stay or eat at, or visit.

Once on the Camino we will 'run free'....
Pat my wife being the slower walker will decide the daily distance and pick our stopping points each day.

Previous Post related to Group Tours, but relevant to for those worried about planning.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have done group tours on 'holidays' a couple of times. At the time they were a good choice for us. It allowed us to see a lot of places in a small amount of time without the need to be booking accommodation, transport, wondering where to go etc. And of course having a knowledgeable guide was a great benefit. No need to worry about language...All good stuff when doing the sights of Paris and so on.

I can understand how someone on their first Camino might think that going on some kind on group tour would offer similar benefits. Think again...... IMHO.....

There is a huge difference between walking a Camino (particularly the Frances) and doing a traditional holiday tour......

You really can't get lost. You just follow the arrows and all the other Pilgrims.

You are part of a Group anyway, by default. Unless you walk in winter, you are part of a mobile community moving down the trail together. Why would you pay, just to be part of a fixed group, within that community, whose members you are stuck with even if you don't enjoy their company...

The locals have been dealing with and helping Pilgrims for a thousand years. For many we are their livelihood. They will guide you and support you... Language? Learn a couple of dozen basic words just as a courtesy......It's not essential though.

You will make new friends every day. It's kind of impossible not to! And you will stick with others whose company you enjoy. Everyone helps each other out.

You are not alone.............kind of ever! You have to try hard to get alone time sometimes........

Imagine doing a 4 week tour of Europe. The itinerary is already planned out. Eiffel Tower, followed by the Louvre, then on to Munich or wherever. You're going to see all the major sites. On day 1 you set out and find there are 300 other people following the same route. Exact same route. EXACT. Catching the same buses, trains, planes, in fact at every turn there are big signs saying 'this way'......

Everyone around you is going the same way. Exactly the same way! Following the signs. The only decision you need to make, is when to stop each day, and secure a bed in whatever town or village, you find yourself. And you'll look around for that bed, with others who have also decided to stop in the same place....

And where ever you decide to stay, there are more travelling companions staying there. In fact all the people staying there are all going the same way as you. So you can join them for dinner......you'll know some of the faces from seeing them that day anyway.

Getting the idea ;)

To go on a group tour would be a totally pointless exercise, a waste of money for most people, and actually very limiting.....

Unless....... Due to some kind of physical limitation or maybe a total lack of self confidence, you need the security of a guide.... But even then..........go with a friend if you have to ;)

If you can manage to get yourself to a bus stop, and go across town to visit a new shopping mall......you are fully equipped to find your way along the Camino. Same degree of difficulty I reckon...... On reflection, the Camino is easier.
Except the walking bit.....and the sore feet ...... :oops:

P.S. One of the greatest joys of walking a Camino is the sense of Freedom.
Allow yourself to experience that ........
To not do so IMHO is to miss a core part of the Camino experience.

Check out these very short video clips.
On my own, but never really........ 2nd one down the page. Called Isolation.
Day 2 heading down to Roncesvalles.
http://robscamino.com/29th-of-april/

One of the many chance encounters.....
2nd one down. US Pilgrims. Near Torres Del Rio
http://robscamino.com/4th-of-may-on-the-road-to-estella-from-uterga-to-estella/

You don't need to Dine alone....... Look out for Pilgrim Central. Najera.
http://robscamino.com/8th-of-may-a-day-of-emotion-walking-to-najera/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That's pretty much the way I did my first Camino last year. Nothing crazy or uncommon about that approach.

Hi Beverly,

If you plan to take one of the main roads (Frances, Norte, Primitivo, La Plata or Portugues) ... you can go there, go to the first shelter and start walking. If you intend to take one of the less popular paths (Olvidad0, etc.), then I think you may need a little more planning.

September is a pleasant month, the days are still long enough, the temperature will be warm ... you will not need too much equipment, just something for the rain (in case it rains a little). And in case you need something ... cities and towns are full of stores that sell whatever you need. Always worry more about bringing too many things than about forgetting something! :)

My only plans were clothes, boots, rain gear, and prescription medicines. I did book SJPDP and Orisson, but after that it was “play it by ear”. 4 weeks later I found it was prudent to book rooms ahead for the last 100K. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good advice above! The only thing I'd add is: where are you coming from? If you're coming from the US/ Canada, jet lag coming this way can be brutal (for me, this means the absolute inability to wake up before 12noon the day after arriving!). So I've found it wise to add in some margin to rest and start getting over jet lag before pushing too hard. This could be a day or two depending on how you know you deal with jet lag.

Buen Camino!

Suggest you do some walking at home with your gear to make sure it works for you! Self knowledge IMO is important. Have you walked long distances before? With a packack? If you plan to leave from SJPD how will your feet respond to a long hike up and down? I have seen people, clearly unprepared for the stress on their feet wind up with blisters that left then unable to walk for days...or ended their Camino early? NO ONE can tell you you will be fine without preparation....they do not know your body!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked from Pamplona starting September 20 through November 02,2017 on Frances. I did and would recommend booking hotel first night if coming from US or such location. As others have mentioned make sure socks, shoes and pack are good. Unless you have specific needs such as assured lower bunk or bed assured at specific distance, etc, then you should be able to wing it. I can tell you that my plan to wing it fell apart after the first few days as I brought way to much stuff, weight. I had to carry a CPAP and ended up having to use the bag transfer service, not part of plan. The September time was great this year as I only had four days of rain. It is still dark at 8:00am when you are expected to be out of albergue so do bring a head torch. There will still be a lot of people out on the trail so have a blast.

Last edited:
I am wondering if it would be foolish to just pack the necessary items and show up and start walking? No other plan just get there and start.
No, I don't think it would be especially foolish, since the "risks" are not to your safety. However, if you do "just show up," be prepared to be flexible and tolerant of whatever inconveniences might happen. For example, arriving in SJPP or Pamplona on a weekend in September without accommodation reserved, might be a bit problematic. You will find something eventually, and might have an adventure doing so, but then again you might be jet lagged and desperate for rest! Just don't be naively upset :eek:.

Keep in mind that September and May are the busiest months on the Camino except for the last Sarria-Santiago section which can be busier in summer.

Personally, I'd recommend:
  1. Testing as @gerardcarey suggests.
  2. Reserving at least your first night, and maybe a second.
  3. From then on, no plan is necessary.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I like the planning. I like to know about the country I’m walking through. I like to know about pilgrim history and traditions. I like to travel light. Planning helps to reduce any pre-camino nerves and it’s my way of looking forward to the next walk. But is it necessary? Probably not. Buen camino. :)

I like the planning. I like to know about the country I’m walking through. I like to know about pilgrim history and traditions. I like to travel light. Planning helps to reduce any pre-camino nerves and it’s my way of looking forward to the next walk. But is it necessary? Probably not. Buen camino. :)

Ops!!! Here I would like to modify my previous answer!!!

If by planning you mean knowing the Camino, its history, the towns and cities you will see, the main monuments, foods, etc.... Then .... plan AS MUCH as you can!!! This planning will, for sure, improve your camino experience, making it more fruitful, funny and interesting!!

Buen camino & Ultreia!!

Ops!!! Here I would like to modify my previous answer!!!

If by planning you mean knowing the Camino, its history, the towns and cities you will see, the main monuments, foods, etc.... Then .... plan AS MUCH as you can!!! This planning will, for sure, improve your camino experience, making it more fruitful, funny and interesting!!

Buen camino & Ultreia!!
Oh I so agree with you but now I’m feeling bad about my post. I didn’t intend it to be a thread killer. :):):)
I love the planning but perhaps my definition of planning is too broad? I had a young niece who walked the CF from SJPdP in mid Sept 2016 and the extent of her planning was to book a plane ticket to Madrid and wing it from there. Her mother did get a few urgent text requests for help in negotiating Spanish bus booking systems with foreign credit card etc. but the niece made it safely to Santiago and loved every step of the way.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you have read everything and you get all of the gear(only what is necessary) Sell your car go everywhere with the pack, forget what you have read and you will be ready for the unknown by Fall... Ultreya

BEVERLY!!!

Welcome to the Forum.

Crazy or not, you will be in good company. It is also my personal preference to knowingly and intentionally allow the Camino to provide. No reservations, just walk until you need to stop, eat, clean up, sleep, then walk again. Repeat as often as possible until the Pilgrimage is complete.

Many Blessings,

Michelle

Hello Beverley,

From your 4 line message it is not clear where your camino will start. Will it be in France, say, or Spain? Wherever, you will need a fair bit of time and fitness.

Some planning of your route is no bad thing but reservations more then a day or ahead could be difficult as you may not know what distances you will walk on any day because of side issues, eg blisters, towns of interest which may “detain” you, wanting to accompany another pilgrim…..

Being fit for walking is important. Train with a back pack, start light weight and short distances, increase weight and distance and do consecutive days training. I have met pilgrims on the Way who failed because of too much weight in their packs and / or blisters or suffering tendonitis too painful to allow them to continue. However, that said many manage with little training. You choose given all the advice here!

When I walked the Camino Frances (from Le Puy en Velay in France and the VdlP in Spain) you could book in advance into auberges in France but not into the pilgrims’ albergues in Spain. Hotels / hostals you could always book into.

gb

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't think it's necessarily crazy but it depends on previous travel experience, how comfortable you are coping with the unexpected, your current level of fitness and which route you are considering. My only experience is on the Via de la Plata last Sept/Oct when the weather was hotter than normal for the first two and a half weeks. It was tough at times, the stages are long with few opportunities for taking on water or food along the way. I was glad that I had built up a good level of fitness in the preceding months so I could enjoy the experience to the greatest extent possible. From other pilgrims, I understand that the Frances is different with frequent opportunities for breaks, options for shorter days and more accommodation options. There are many examples on this forum of people who have done as you suggest, taking it easy for the first few days and building up along the way. I suggest at a minimum you break in your shoes/boots and do a practice walk with a loaded pack. It would be good to firm up on plans for the first couple of days, but fine to be flexible about how you go thereafter.
Whatever you decide, buen camino!
Thank You.

Glad I found this forum. My wife and I are doing the Camino Frances in October 2018 actually starting day is 27 Sept and we had planned to book with Greenlife Tours - hotel, luggage transfer, and meals but after reading these comments we're making some changes. My wife isn't comfortable with just finding a hotel when we arrive, so that aspect we'll leave with the company along with the transfer of our luggage, but we'll forego the meals and just find things along the way. To get my wife to agree to this, I had to promise her we would stay in hotels with private baths. Small compromise in the big scheme of things.

Glad I found this forum. My wife and I are doing the Camino Frances in October 2018 actually starting day is 27 Sept and we had planned to book with Greenlife Tours - hotel, luggage transfer, and meals but after reading these comments we're making some changes. My wife isn't comfortable with just finding a hotel when we arrive, so that aspect we'll leave with the company along with the transfer of our luggage, but we'll forego the meals and just find things along the way. To get my wife to agree to this, I had to promise her we would stay in hotels with private baths. Small compromise in the big scheme of things.
It is your Camino and the two of you should do it anyway you want to do it. I found that getting out of my comfort zone was very important to the overall experience that I had. Staying in hotels and having luggage would have made this extraordinary adventure into a common vacation to me. Just my opinion. Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Were I doing this solo, I would carry everything and just enjoy the experience, however, while my wife is a bit of an adventurous, she is uncomfortable doing the hostel thing and asked if we could get a private hotel room each night. After 35yrs of marriage, it's a small thing to ask. We already opted out of the meals from the tour group going instead with just the hotel options. Yes, agree regarding luggage but due to a few back issues, she can't carry much (about 10lbs max) so not wanting to carry a heavy load and not enjoy the walk, we opted for the luggage transfer. I'm sure we'll do another camino next year and we'll adjust our expectations and planning based on how this Oct trip goes.

I'm sure you will have a great time regardless of how you plan your camino, where and whom you eat with and whether your bags are carried or not ;)

Your wife will probably also understand the whole Camino 'thing' better and be happy to 'free wheel' next time :)

As I said, it’s your Camino and you should do it any way that you want to do it. My next Camino will be slower and longer than the last and I will concentrate more on the people and less on the mountains. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As I said, it’s your Camino and you should do it any way that you want to do it. My next Camino will be slower and longer than the last and I will concentrate more on the people and less on the mountains. Buen Camino

Yes I think our Caminos evolve. For my first one, I planned the 'packing and gear' for at least 18 months - 2 years - buying stuff, weighing it, trialing the pack , picking the best shoes and socks etc. I have a problem knee and knew my pack would need to be as light as possible. I bored the pants of everyone talking about my gear. "Feel how light this is", and an eye roll would follow. My husband was a bit concerned about me heading off. He doesn't like surprises, he is a planner. He likes to know how his day is going to pan out, the fact that I wouldn't know where I would end up each day bothered him. And the fact I didn't speak Spanish, or even have a map. I made him watch The Way, and he felt slightly more at ease.
But at that stage it was not something he would contemplate for himself.
I never gave too much thought to the actual walking, other than making the travel booking; just made sure I had the necessary funds, passport etc, and showed up. (We are quite different in this respect)

At that stage I didn't even know it was possible to book ahead, or have pack transport etc.
Had such a wonderful and memorable time, and pined for a year until I could get back. Met amazing people, and were part of a Camino family, learnt very basic Camino Spanish, came back fit, tanned and even more Camino obsessed.
We stayed in a hotel on the final night, and were sitting down in reception waiting for a taxi to arrive, and a harried looking guy came over and asked if we were 'his pilgrims'. We weren't. He was a Camino guide. After he left we puzzled over what a guide could possibly offer, as for us the experience of figuring it all out for ourselves was part of the fun and adventure.
I got back to NZ, and a friend asked how my trip had gone, and what 'tour' I had taken. I explained that we arrived in SJPDP and just walked. She thought I was seriously intrepid. But how do you know where you are" she said. 'You just follow the arrows" I said, and showed her my phone with photos of yellow arrows. She was horrified and shocked.

For the second Camino it was different, already knew my gear was fine, but bought a new lighter pack, and discarded some of the gear I hadn't used. Bought my shoes and pack just over a week before we went. Knew more about the best travel arrangements than the agent. Didn't talk to anyone about my gear this time this time, much to their relief. I was much more relaxed about it in general. My husband was no longer worried about me, but still didn't want to do it himself.
This time I had read up more about the people and the history, and the walk itself. Again I had an amazing Camino, met different people. I was more adventurous about my food, and spend more time exploring places as we went. Took more photos, cemented in more memories. I was pining to return before I flew out of Santiago.
Catching up with my friend again, she was convinced I am crazy " what do you mean you don't need a map" she said.

Next time I want to go slower, less km's each day, take my time more, see everything, listen to more people. I'm learning more Spanish. My gear is sitting downstairs all ready to go. But next time I am taking my husband: after seeing me come back elated after each Camino, he is now prepared to walk himself. Not only that but we are taking two kids with us.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back