• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much route planning is actually needed?

ils

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Bit of a background: Female, early 30's, and a planner. I usually enjoy the planning part of every trip, like where will I go or how to get there and what to see. I do leave room for some spontaneity (I won't plan everything down to the minute), but I always have a plan B and usually know things like ferry boat times or subway maps beforehand.

I'm walking from SJPP to Santiago in May 2023 (I know it's still far away, I did mention I'm a planner). And I've been reading the forum everyday, obsessing over equipment, and actually having a lot of fun. Recently I started planning my route, using Gronze and Godesalco.com and I realized I kind of don't want to? I think it will be good for me to just let go of the planning part and just walk.

But, I do have a timeline, since I will only have about 33 days, maybe 35. I'm hoping to get to Santiago in 33 days. From what I've read, I believe it's doable. I also know May is high season, so assuming I'll start my walk around April 29th (May 1st is a Tuesday, so I'll be starting on the last weekend of April), I believe I'll need to book those first few days in advance, at least until Pamplona, past the "bottleneck". But after that, do I need to plan it or book ahead? Should I book a few days in advance as I walk?

I'm sure there are people that just wake up everyday and walk until they feel like stopping, but I'm honestly just not used to it. I'm hoping reading people's opinion on it will give me some peace of mind.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
But after that, do I need to plan it or book ahead?

Hi, ils,

Welcome to the forum! And buen camino from one fellow planner to another. Like you, I am used to doing a lot of research, getting the ducks lined up and knowing what’s out there. So I have lists, plans, and alternative plans. Based on those plans, I add a few days and book my flights. I typically reserve a place to stay for at least the first few days. I’ve been walking caminos for twenty years now, and I am pretty sure I have never stuck to any of the many plans I have made. But they served their purpose well, because even though I didn’t stick to them, all the planning meant I knew what my alternatives were and I could adjust easily.

For some of us, planning is part of the fun. Without planning, I would have missed a lot of really great alternative routes and detours to special churches, monasteries, mountain trails or spectacular views. But that doesn’t mean we lock ourselves into the plan, because that is also a big part of the joy of the camino — freeing yourself from the sense of being tied to a schedule.

Some people like walking without any ideas about what’s ahead or where they will stay. That’s just not me, but I certainly respect that. Some people like to book everything ahead of time and have the day to day ironed out. That’s not me either, but I respect that as well. You sound like you are in the middle, like me. I like to have the flexibility to be able to stop earlier or walk later than I had planned, but at the same time to have the knowledge I need to be able to adjust. If you find that the accommodations are tight once you start walking, you can start booking a day or so ahead. My advice would be not to book out too far in advance — I have met a lot of people over the years who regretted having everything planned out and their packs delivered to a destination without being able to change on the fly.

One thing is for sure, no matter how much you plan, the Camino will give you some big surprises! Buen camino, Laurie

I am a first time walker, starting in Pamplona end of May and walking for a week. I have to tell you, I am convinced this may be why I am being called to walk, and that is to learn to live in the moment and to trust in my abilities. I booked an albergue in Pamplona as I wanted to experience a positive albergue experience at least once. Like you, I know my physical limitations and I obsess over what hotels/private rooms are every 15-20km. I've worn that part of the app out! But, I'm not going to book farther. I have decided to stop each day when ready and live in the moment. The part no one seems to talk about on this board is that there is a major expressway about 3 miles north of the walking path. That expressway has hotels on it. There will always be a place to stay. Lodging is not limited to the places directly on the path. Also, I am open to having my host from tonight help me decide on a place for tomorrow night. They know everyone. How can I guess an ocean away what will be the experience I need once I get there?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The part no one seems to talk about on this board is that there is a major expressway about 3 miles north of the walking path.
Are you talking about the Camino Frances? That description just doesn't ring true to me - perhaps that is why it isn't talked about. Yes, there are major roads all over Spain, and on the Camino Frances you will often be within a few miles of major expressways, but there are not hotels located every 3 miles on the expressway! :) However, be assured that you will usually be within a few miles of a town, and taxis to alternative accommodation.

I'm a first time walker (starting from SJPP on May 6) and major planner too, so I definitely feel where you're coming from - and since my Camino this spring was postponed from 2020, I've had an additional two years to potentially micromanage my experience :) At some point, though, I also decided that "letting go" in general was going to be one of the main lessons of my Camino, so I've reluctantly stepped away from the (admittedly very impressive) spreadsheet I'd made to plan my itinerary and instead hope to take things day by day over the course of however long it takes me to get to Santiago and thence to Fisterra & Muxia. I understand this would be more difficult if, like you, I had a more constrained time frame - but wanted to let you know that you're certainly not the only one who derives pleasure and satisfaction from planning a trip, especially one as potentially life-changing as one's first Camino. Wishing you all the best on your journey!

Last edited:
@C clearly, I think @BookGirl305 might be referring to the Autovía del Camino de Santiago, which runs roughly parallel to the Camino Francés from Pamplona to Burgos and with associated routes extends the entire length of the way from Roncesvalles to Santiago:

I have no idea what if any accommodations are available along its route - but as someone who has always loved poring over road atlases and Google Maps for fun, it's interesting to know about its existence and how it came to be. So thanks for adding to my collection of Camino knowledge, @BookGirl305!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I usually prepare a draft itinerary, but rarely stick to it. I think flexibility is important.

For a young person in good physical health, 35 days should be PLENTY.

A few years ago, in SdC, I met a young woman from Chicago who did it in 20 days!

I celebrated my 59th birthday in Santiago after my first Camino. I walked from SJPdP to Finisterre in 35 days.
On that first Camino I didn't really plan. I just made sure that I had a few extra days built in. Now however, I do like to make spreadsheets of my proposed stages, then I like to see how close or far off I was when I finish.

I have two columns on the spreadsheet - Proposed stages, and Actual stages. I also make notes on where I stayed, how well (or not) I liked the albergue. If I splurged on a private room, what the stage was like, etc. I find myself referring back to these spreadsheets fairly often.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the Francès, really the only things you need to plan are organising the trip to your starting point, then your first few days, plus your kit and other such immediate practicalities. Take a light sleeping bag, make sure your shoes/boots are properly broken in and big enough. After that, routine and the yellow arrows + spontaneity + circumstance + the other pilgrims etc. all take care of the other basics, including the daily starting and stopping points. Some days end up being longer than others, some shorter.

Over-planning can kill the necessary spontaneity ; and spontaneity isn't supplemental to a Camino plan, it's the beating heart of a Camino. Just plan one day at a time while you're there, make a plan in the evening, review it in the morning from how you feel, and all good. Keep it dynamic !!

As to a return date, ideally don't make it fixed, but flexible -- as more rest days or injury days than expected can prolong a Camino without ruining it. If you've roughly some idea of how long you'll need, add one day at the start 2-3 days at the end then 1 rest day per 10 days of pure walking at your own personal speeds, that should give a rough idea though.

Most people end up walking 25K/day, so 800/25 = 30 days or so, but that 25K number is an overall average that actually includes the rest days etc. -- those people are actually tending towards 30K/day in pure hiking terms (in their hiking capabilities that is), so 800/30 = 26 +1 (start) +2 (end) +3 rest days = 31. Add your travelling days to what you end up with on a similar calculation based on your personal hiking capabilities, and you've got your rough idea of the total time needed for it.

So that setting aside the actual extremes of slowness and speed, most pilgrims take between 25 to 35-40 days, with about 30-33 as a "norm".

As to the extremes, I was blazing fast on my 1994 from Paris, and I think the SJPP to Santiago portion of it took 18 days +2½ days in Santiago = 21 ; whereas at the opposite end, nowadays I can manage about 100K/week, so it would take me towards 2 months. -- so don't worry, there are people of all speeds, you just need to find the hourly, daily, and weekly speeds that you're comfortable in, and then slip into that ; which over-planning will not help you with, but rather the opposite !!

.............Over-planning can kill the necessary spontaneity ; and spontaneity isn't supplemental to a Camino plan, it's the beating heart of a Camino. Just plan one day at a time while you're there, make a plan in the evening, review it in the morning from how you feel, and all good. Keep it dynamic ..........
Exactly.

I think @BookGirl305 might be referring to the Autovía del Camino de Santiago, which runs roughly parallel to the Camino Francés from Pamplona to Burgos and with associated routes extends the entire length of the way from Roncesvalles to Santiago:
OK - I see this highway and others on the map. There is a very good transportation system and lots of towns with accommodation. But I was just trying to say that fortunately the highway will probably seem very removed from your experience on the Camino.

Planning can be a lot of fun, especially between two Caminos, when you feel like you're ready to walk again but can't do so yet :)

I was in my early 30s when I first walked. I did a lot of planning before because I had to (was on a low budget and needed to know prices, cheap places to stay, where to buy food, exit strategies for how to get home in case of emergency or running out of money, ect. I had never done anything like the Camino before and would never have dared to walk without having a good idea what I was getting into). So I totally understand the planning years before part!

That said, as many others, I didn't stick to that plan. You never know what happens on the way. Places or people you like and want to stay around longer. Injury or sickness. Bad weather or a heat wave forcing you to do different stages than planned. Just feeling tired one day, or much fitter than usual, so you walk slower or faster, or a shorter or longer day than expected. And so on.

Planning is totally fine. My kind of planning is more "research" and less actual planning. Many in this forum tend to research a lot but don't stick to a plan. But there are also some who book everything in advance months before actually walking, and they will tell you that it's necessary to do so!

In my opinion and experience, that is not needed at all, and based more on personal preference.

Booking everything in advance for a first timer with little walking experience can in my opinion make it difficult to find your own rhythm and to listen to your body and soul when/where to stop, because you'll feel forced to stick to your planned stages and pre-booked lodgings. But these are some very important things one can learn from the Camino.

More important than planning is to be open and flexible. There will almost always be solutions if something is not going according to plan, but you need to be open to the idea of doing things differently than planned in the first place.

In short: It is absolutely possible to walk the Camino without much planning at all, and without any idea what you're doing. It is possible to just walk into the pilgrim's office in St. Jean, there you'll get a list of lodgings with prices and distances between them, an itinerary with possible stages and elevation, and good advice especially for the first day through the pyrenees. There's a shop close to the office where you can buy a
backpack and everything else. Then it's mostly following yellow arrows, drinking coffee and eating tortilla and bocadillos in bars along the way, and stopping at whatever place feels good and / or has a bed available.

Almost anyone could walk the Camino Francés based on just that, at least april-october when most albergues, cafés/bars etc. are open. So plan / research if it is fun, make reservations for your first few nights if you feel you need to, but don't worry, and don't force yourself to stick to the plan. Just walk.

Happy planning, and buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi @ils, I must say I recognised myself a little in what you say, so here's what I learnt on the subject of planning and over-planning at the time of my camino in October/November 2021.

There is quite a deal of romanticism attached to the idea of going without a plan and just taking things as they come. But as soon as you have a time limitation (which I had), this is not really possible, at least not fully. In addition, what is subjectively perceived as going freely without a plan is often, seen objectively, entirely in line with pre-defined patterns.

So here's what I did: I booked my trip to SJPP and a flight back from Santiago, based on the time I could take off from work. I deducted one 'reserve' day and got my number of walking days - 29 in my case. I then divided 784 by 29 and got my average stage length. There really is no way around this, if you intend to get to Santiago from SJPP and have X days, you will have to walk 784/X per day on average. No amount of self-imposed spontaneity can save you from this mathematical fact.

I made a spreadsheet roughly indicating the end of each stage, but I only booked my accommodation for the first three nights. Then I booked one or two nights ahead as I was moving. Occasionally I also walked without a reservation, but I generally felt this was risky out of season in late autumn. Anyway, my stages changed a lot, as expected - due to accommodation availability and due to what I learnt in the first days about my ability to walk. I was very happy to have this controlled flexibility, and it is actually a great feeling to sit at a table in the evening, looking at the map and guidebook and checking online what accommodation is open, trying to figure out the next few days.

In short, I would say that before walking, one needs to plan the things that need to be fixed (leave from work, flights, albergues for the first few nights), and then it is good to have a general idea to which changes are made as you go.

Also, I do not think you are too early to start preparing. Especially if you will be ordering equipment online, do that asap in case you have to return and exchange some items...

I wish you all the best for your camino!

1 time walker here as well
Started planning in 2018 for 2020....and then we all know what happened ☹️
so... God Willing should start come May 18th.
YEs I do have my spreadsheet with rough stages but with full understanding that it's not written in stone.
FOr all purposes I booked 1st three nights (SJPdP, Orrison and Roncesvalles) but after that it's come what may
Like many already said have fun planning and Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
1 time walker here as well
Started planning in 2018 for 2020....and then we all know what happened ☹️
so... God Willing should start come May 18th.
YEs I do have my spreadsheet with rough stages but with full understanding that it's not written in stone.
FOr all purposes I booked 1st three nights (SJPdP, Orrison and Roncesvalles) but after that it's come what may
Like many already said have fun planning and Buen Camino
Could someone please enlighten me ref : " lining up the ducks" ? I can remember many a chicken leg on the menu but nary a duck! the expression seems to have crept in recently. I have been a shooter in my time and can see a resemblance and a certain understanding but PLEASE what is it's relevance to us pilgies? :)

samarkand.

I love planning! I was late 20s first time I walked part of Canino Frances. Every time I've been I have read, researched, watched some YouTube videos. I heard of places to avoid and others that were special. But I've never sat down and planned out a day by day plan in normal season with where to stay (winter caminos are a little different). There were times I would walk 30-35km or more because I was feeling good, and other days 20km seemed a challenge. I did have a list of some recommended stops though it wasn't prescriptive, so I stayed in some and others didn't fit my actual walking schedule.
I love planning and researching and it brought the camino to life. But I tend to let go when I actually walk, especially the Frances, because that is part of the joy of the camino.

Planning!
Usually a sort of plan

Arrived in Santiago yesterday after walking the Camino Ingles
planned the trip about 10 days before we left
It worked out well

Last October , I fancied a walk on my own
it was going to be the Ingles but on skimming the Brierly book of the Ingles,I changed my mind halfway on the plane …got the bus to Sarria and walked back
loved every minute of it, booked via Gronze a day ahead
Perfect!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi!

Planned my Camino in detail ; walked last September all sleeps booked months in advance!
Loved the journey so much however on my next Camino (not sure when) i will do my best to enjoy the freedom of each day.
Being committed to walk to that pre booked bed (and by several days before now being pre paid) when in truth on many occasions i liked where i was and would have liked to explore more!
Woody

This is my experience:
In fall of 2019 I began planning a May/June 2020 Camino. Watched a ton of youtube, read a lot of guides, surfed the internet. I planned and planned and planned and even packed my bags. And then I had to cancel due to COVID.

In fall of 2020 I began to plan for a hopeful May/June 2021 Camino. I watched more youtube, read more guides, and surfed more internet. I planned and planned and planned and even packed my bags. And then I had to cancel, again, due to COVID, again.

Early 2021 I planned an alternate hike closer to home on the Pacific Crest Trail for that same time period. I watched youtube, read guides, and surfed the internet. I planned and planned and planned and even packed my bags and my resupply boxes. And I did go... with my kids... who hated it. They made me miserable to the point that after just a few days we headed home. And on the way home - Spain announced that the were indeed going to allow vaccinated tourists to come in just a couple days. I literally went home, upacked, did laundry, repacked, then headed (SOLO) to Spain. This time I packed last minute, and the only thing that was planned was my plane tickets. I didn't have my notes on where I wanted to stay or what I wanted to see. And funny thing is after a stressful year of COVID - I couldn't remember any of those carefully planned details. I arrived in Madrid and searched for the train station and headed to Pamplona. On the way to Pamplona I reserved a place for the night in Pamplona. Then I searched for the bus station and made my way to SJPDP. And on the way to SJPDP I reserved my first night in SJPDP. Then in the morning I started walking, I called Orisson and reserved a bed (but normally Orisson MUST be reserved in advance). And the rest of my Camino? I just winged it. Some days I reserved a bed for that night. Some days I walked until I found a place to stay. And I discovered that had it not been for COVID and so many albergues being closed - I loved the spontaneity and flexibility of not booking ahead even the same day or night before.

If you are doing the Frances or another highly traveled route - planning is NOT necessary. At least - not for the most part. I am going again this summer. This summer I am concerned that too many people who missed 2020 and 2021 Caminos will be on the Frances this summer. This does make me nervous. So... I did go ahead and reserve SJPDP, Orisson, Roncesvalles, Pamplona, Puenta la Reina, and Estrella. Really only the first 4 reservations should be needed, but I knew where I wanted to stop for those first 6 nights - so I went ahead and booked. After that? I plan to listen to the reports of those who hiked in the days ahead of me to see whether nightly reservations are needed or not. And I am guessing probably not. And if that is the case, I plan to stay as flexible as possible. The first week, you shouldn't push yourself to go beyond the normal "stages" to prevent injuries as you physically adapt to the Camino. But after that, I know from experience that some days you won't want to stop at the stages towns and will be more than capable of walking further distances. Or... perhaps you find a place that inspires you to stay for the night. Do it! Also - you will meet people along the way that you want to walk with, and planning ahead too much may prevent the flexibility to stay with those new friends.

Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
But, I do have a timeline, since I will only have about 33 days, maybe 35. I'm hoping to get to Santiago in 33 days. From what I've read, I believe it's doable. I also know May is high season, so assuming I'll start my walk around April 29th (May 1st is a Tuesday, so I'll be starting on the last weekend of April), I believe I'll need to book those first few days in advance, at least until Pamplona, past the "bottleneck". But after that, do I need to plan it or book ahead? Should I book a few days in advance as I walk?
BTW - 33 days is more than doable from SJPDP to Santiago. I did it in 33 days which included 2 rest days. I could have done it in less if I wanted to. And I might this time. And I wasn't fit when I started, and felt very fit by the time I finished. And yes, I do recommend booking SJPDP to Pamplona myself, not just because it is a bottleneck - but having that reassurance that you have a place to stay the first 4 nights helps you get through the physical adjustment. After that, booking the night before or the morning of is USUALLY good enough. But again - you can also walk until you feel like stopping and that is a great experience too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bit of a background: Female, early 30's, and a planner. I usually enjoy the planning part of every trip, like where will I go or how to get there and what to see. I do leave room for some spontaneity (I won't plan everything down to the minute), but I always have a plan B and usually know things like ferry boat times or subway maps beforehand.

I'm walking from SJPP to Santiago in May 2023 (I know it's still far away, I did mention I'm a planner). And I've been reading the forum everyday, obsessing over equipment, and actually having a lot of fun. Recently I started planning my route, using Gronze and Godesalco.com and I realized I kind of don't want to? I think it will be good for me to just let go of the planning part and just walk.

I'm sure there are people that just wake up everyday and walk until they feel like stopping, but I'm honestly just not used to it. I'm hoping reading people's opinion on it will give me some peace of mind.
You only have a first Camino once, so I say just let it unfold and enjoy the magic. ( For the first few days your feet might not think it is magic but you will eventually)
A lot of the fun and enjoyment is the working it out as you go. Yes you do some basic planning so you can book flights etc, and I would suggest booking as far as Pamplona, as accommodation isnt as plentiful prior to that.
After that you can book a day ahead.
This is a village to village walk - the whole point is to walk through all the villages. When you are at the top of the hill, you look down and see all the village church spires, and you know you'll be passing one of those.
Working things out as you go also allows you to listen to your body. After all there is no shame in walking a short day when your feet are really hurting. Looking after yourself means you will reach Santiago.
Rather than trying to find accommodation away from the Camino, you will start looking for places that are ON the Camino. No doubling back, retracing steps or adding KMs to your day. And I for one would avoid the Expressway - getting run over by a truck would really spoil your plans.

I am planning to walk around the same time from St Jean.

Plan how to get there a f back home and maybe book your first night's accommodation. No plan survives its first contact with reality/ contingencies/ events. Go with the flow (unless you have medical or mobility issues). The camino is very forgiving in the sense that there's always a bed of some sort or a taxi to one in the next town the worst case. Too rigid a plan with baked-in bookings will mean you may have to say bye to groups of people you get along with and will miss out on the camino "family" dimension/ walking in a bubble. The "planning" aspect concerning finding out about the places you will walk through and which kit to take is great fun however!

I plan in far more detail than is necessary. Apart from the recent interruption I’ve walked twice each year since 2014 on various caminos.

In a normal year (if we can all remember that long ago) on the Frances in Spring and Autumn it was enough to get up in the morning and walk away from the sun. Winter and summer benefitted from a bit of thought because of closures and crowds respectively.

Right now (based on what I’m doing in a couple of weeks time) I’ve booked the first couple of nights and will refer to the hospitalleros and Gronze and consider accommodation a couple of days ahead. I’ll not book for the larger towns or cities,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think it will be good for me to just let go of the planning part and just walk.
Yes, indeed, but how are you going to spend all that research time if you step away from that now?
You still have more than a year to go, to be thinking about your trip ahead. I suggest you channel that planning energy into learning Spanish (if you don’t speak it already?). While English is accepted on this very narrow 500-mile bubble corridor, you can really enrich your experience (and indeed of others you meet) by being able to talk/understand a little Spanish.

Also spend your time reading up on the religious/historical and cultural layers that will literally lie under your walking feet as you make your way west; for instance perceiving more than some stone foundations when you encounter the ruins of the San Juan de Acre pilgrim hospital outside Navarette. Or the roman bridge Puente del Passo Honroso at Hospital d'Orbigo across the river bed - those fences for the jousting festival - why are they there, what’s the story?
Camino fiction is great too for steeping you in the mythology and increasing the sense of participating in a classic adventure…
Others can recommend books I’m sure. Coelho’s The Pilgrimage is worth a look.
Also a great movie to whet the appetite is Within the Way Without. The whole movie is on youtube under its Spanish title Tres en el Camino

33 days is very doable - tens of thousands have followed those 33 Brierley stages for their first camino. The trick, if it is busy is to look for places to stay slightly before or after the Brierley end points. However, he does pick key, interesting places, so not such a great first camino if you avoid staying at most of them! More of a fall-back strategy.
As to your specific point about booking and bottle necks - what you propose sounds good. Book to Puente la Reina and then from Pamplona make decisions about booking ahead based on what you find is happening there and then.

Hi @ils, I must say I recognised myself a little in what you say, so here's what I learnt on the subject of planning and over-planning at the time of my camino in October/November 2021.

There is quite a deal of romanticism attached to the idea of going without a plan and just taking things as they come. But as soon as you have a time limitation (which I had), this is not really possible, at least not fully. In addition, what is subjectively perceived as going freely without a plan is often, seen objectively, entirely in line with pre-defined patterns.

So here's what I did: I booked my trip to SJPP and a flight back from Santiago, based on the time I could take off from work. I deducted one 'reserve' day and got my number of walking days - 29 in my case. I then divided 784 by 29 and got my average stage length. There really is no way around this, if you intend to get to Santiago from SJPP and have X days, you will have to walk 784/X per day on average. No amount of self-imposed spontaneity can save you from this mathematical fact.

I made a spreadsheet roughly indicating the end of each stage, but I only booked my accommodation for the first three nights. Then I booked one or two nights ahead as I was moving. Occasionally I also walked without a reservation, but I generally felt this was risky out of season in late autumn. Anyway, my stages changed a lot, as expected - due to accommodation availability and due to what I learnt in the first days about my ability to walk. I was very happy to have this controlled flexibility, and it is actually a great feeling to sit at a table in the evening, looking at the map and guidebook and checking online what accommodation is open, trying to figure out the next few days.

In short, I would say that before walking, one needs to plan the things that need to be fixed (leave from work, flights, albergues for the first few nights), and then it is good to have a general idea to which changes are made as you go.

Also, I do not think you are too early to start preparing. Especially if you will be ordering equipment online, do that asap in case you have to return and exchange some items...

I wish you all the best for your camino!
Agree with Simon - common sense is always irreplaceable- list of local taxis was always a must for me,too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Age, physical ability and confidence are some of the many variables which will inform opinion and advice .
I am an experienced Pelegrino, I have some workaday Spanish ( very useful on the lesser trod ways ) and am an inveterate planner/ researcher as far ahead for my next Camino as I can. I get immense pleasure and excitement from reading guides,books,blogs - would wholeheartedly recommend MOON CAMINO de SANTIAGO by Beebe Bahrami - what insights.
I do not use albergues,but I do use Booking.com and e Mail when booking my accommodation and this has been for solo,paired and group Caminos which I have led - mostly for Pelegrinos of a certain vintage, self included ! I feel reassured that at the end of a day’s saunter I know I have a bed and a warm shower reserved and can relax in that expectatio.
I can’t honestly say that lack of spontaneity spoiled my Caminos, or I wouldn’t keep walking them the way I/we do. 1647178970566.jpeg1647178970566.jpeg

My kind of planning is more "research" and less actual planning.
That is a great way to describe my approach. This is the only way you are going to find out about that little Romanesque jewel sitting a few kms off route, or the fact that if you just leave the camino for a km or two, you can walk on a coastal path rather than along the highway. Or the fact that the bread store that ships bread to the king and queen is a stone’s throw from your albergue, etc. etc. But maybe that is more for those who come back to walk multiple caminos. I agree that your first camino is likely to be different — because as Anamiri so wisely put it, “You only have a first Camino once.”

But I wouldn’t push it. If you are walking the Camino Francés and if you are a diehard planner, you should let go of as much of it as you are comfortable doing at the beginning, and then as you walk you will see how easy it is to go with the flow. I wouldn’t suggest to people who have very clear personality traits and habits to just throw them all out the window when they start their first camino. On the camino you are likely to reassess a lot of the habits you have taken for granted in your “real life,” but I think this is better enjoyed as a gradual rather than an abrupt process.

Many people reserve every day for their first camino and then “wing it” on subsequent caminos, but many continue with that “reserve every day” approach for multiple caminos. Who am I to say it‘s not the right way to walk?

So, long way of saying… my advice would be to do what feels right and be open to changing your approach as you feel more comfortable on the actual camino.

I tend to plan in nauseating detail and then wander far from the plan. I drafted eight route plans during COVID but looking at them now, they will, at best, be for familiarity. If I had to stick to a plan, it would take much of the excitement and spirituality out of it for me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I used the Brierly guide and looked initially at about a page a day but this quickly went by the board. I just walked following the guide and decided each morning where I would stay that night. I eventually went from SJPP to SDC in 28 days. I did not take a rest day so you will do it easily in 33 days.

Buen Camino

Simon

I am a first time walker, starting in Pamplona end of May and walking for a week. I have to tell you, I am convinced this may be why I am being called to walk, and that is to learn to live in the moment and to trust in my abilities. I booked an albergue in Pamplona as I wanted to experience a positive albergue experience at least once. Like you, I know my physical limitations and I obsess over what hotels/private rooms are every 15-20km. I've worn that part of the app out! But, I'm not going to book farther. I have decided to stop each day when ready and live in the moment. The part no one seems to talk about on this board is that there is a major expressway about 3 miles north of the walking path. That expressway has hotels on it. There will always be a place to stay. Lodging is not limited to the places directly on the path. Also, I am open to having my host from tonight help me decide on a place for tomorrow night. They know everyone. How can I guess an ocean away what will be the experience I need once I get there?
The Autopista north of the Camino is not like an American expressway. Fast food joints and budget motels have not sprung up at every exit ramp. I have driven this route many times and it is convenient way to get across Spain but if you need to stop for gas or food you generally have to drive several kms off piste to a neaby town.

I’ve been walking caminos for twenty years now, and I am pretty sure I have never stuck to any of the many plans I have made. But they served their purpose well, because even though I didn’t stick to them, all the planning meant I knew what my alternatives were and I could adjust easily.

For some of us, planning is part of the fun. Without planning, I would have missed a lot of really great alternative routes and detours to special churches, monasteries, mountain trails or spectacular views. But that doesn’t mean we lock ourselves into the plan, because that is also a big part of the joy of the camino — freeing yourself from the sense of being tied to a schedule.
Love what Perigrina2000 says as I almost always do. She is all things camino!
Right now I am in the planning stages for 3 different caminos. The Portugese for the second time, if I walk with friends. I saw a video of the Aragones and fell in love with it and if I don't walk in late October with my friends I may walk in December and January and do the Aragones/Frances as my wife wants to visit her family over the holidays. Since I am Jewish I could care less about Christmas except if I get presents. I am also thinking about Madrid/Frances and Portuguese coastal as even a third alternative!!! I love planning because it is fun. It also gives me familiarity for a route if I haven't done it. In this case it would be Madrid and Aragones. I check out albergues and plan stages and do watch videos and read reviews and blah, blah, blah. Then when I start I throw everything away before I go. At best I may keep the names of a few albergues that seem to be really interesting. I usually forget about that and never look at my phone with those notes.
Then I just walk. You never know about how your body will react, the weather, or your comfortable pace. For someone new you have to learn how to walk and to listen to what your body tells you and discipline yourself not to walk to far, too fast or too slow.
My advice would be try to squeeze a few extra days if you can to go for more than 35 days. I know this may not be possible. Book for the first few days. I don't know what kind of shape you are in but you need time for your body to be a walking pilgrim. Then just relax and enjoy. You will get the hang of it quickly and the infrastructure is so good on the Frances no need to worry. Just walk and buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hi, there are a number of very good apps you can download to your phone that have the route well laid out into stages, and suggestions for alberques, places to eat, and things to see along the way. Distances are shown, and you can use that info as an easy way to plan your schedule. If you have 33 days, that should be ample. Buen Camino!

I used to walk from early morning, stop at about 13:00, find a place to stay and then explore the area

Hello, I stayed a couple of days in Porto as a tourist. Then I set out towards Santiago. I walked until about 13:00, then found a place to stay. The afternoon was then free for me to explore the local area. I will adopt the same routine when I walk the Norte - Oviedo and onto Santiago.Can see no reason to change this routine!! Bom/Buen Camino.

In my experience, aside from making lodging reservations, if that is your preference, no planning is needed. You simply cannot get lost if you just follow the yellow painted arrows, and the other pilgrims headed in the same direction.

On the Camino Frances, there are always other pilgrims headed the same way. Over half of all pilgrims (annually) follow this route - or some portion of it

If you make lodging reservations, that provides a goal or destination for that day's walking. At least you know you have a bed waiting for you. So, there is no need to rush to get to a town down the road.

One of the good things about the Camino Frances is that, of all the routes that I know of, it has the most developed infrastructure to support pilgrims. Whether you walk fast or slow, a long distance daily or just a short distance, there is usually some place to stay.

Hope this helps.

Tom

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lots of advice and different opinions. We all need something different. My 2 cents:
1) don’t booked things that can’t be changed at least a day or two ahead
2) note that May 1 is a holiday in Spain and many Spanish walk a week on the Camino. Accommodations can be difficult that week if you are within a week of a popular starting point ( you are) On my 2018 Camino I was coming out of Burgos that week and accommodations were full for many KM. I got the last bed in Hontanas and many were having to go in to Castrojeriz.. So I would do more planning your first week and then just see how it’s going.

I love planning and have already done meticulous and detailed itinerary for our next three caminos. Planning to me is a joy, and I learn so much. But I also learned from meticulous planning of our first camino and every one since that actually following a detailed itinerary will not happen unless you are a person who reserves accommodations and has baggage transfers the entire trip. My wife and I don't do this; we carry everything we need and end up wherever our legs, the weather, the terrain, the cultural sites decide. My itinerary for our first camino, the Frances, had us completing it 34 days. We were three days ahead of my itinerary by the time we reached Burgos! We enjoyed an extra night there, an extra night in Leon and still made it to Santiago ahead of schedule. Our actual walking days were 30, and some were very short since we arrived at places, like Astorga, that we simply had to spend lots of time in.

Every camino since has been like this. My advice: Knock yourself out planning. It's fun, and you will discover all sorts of cool places that you would otherwise wouldn't. But no matter how much time you spend on the planning, the camino will always provide surprises, some pleasant, some not. But remember: it's the journey that matters, not the destination. Once you start, live in the moment...wherever the camino takes you. Buen camino!

I only planned a few days myself for when I start on the 26th though I have help of the guide book I do know however some places has cut back on the number of places available due to covid ... I know I have to make reservations for Holy week and again most likely the last 100km from Sarria ..apart from that I know the Camino will throw up some surprises nothing is easy in life but just be thankful for what we do have

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@ils welcome to the Camino family. I’m so excited for you and what you’re about to experience and experience it you will whether you plan or not.

I’ve done all my Camino’s solo and being a bit older than you on my first Camino from SJPdP to Santiago I did in 34 days. This included one rest day on day 21. I used the Brierley guide. I didn’t know this forum so I studied the guidebook and just planned what I could. My gear and my flights/transportation to SJPdP. That’s about all the planning I could do. I didn’t take a cell phone so no booking ahead for me and wouldn’t you know it, the Camino did provide me a bed at the end of each days walk. My entire first Camino was filled with so much magic.
Now it seems impossible to go without having to book at least the first few days out and then again, for me after Sarria (on my last Camino) but you’ll get a feel for all that once you’re there. This forum has now provided me with so much knowledge and I’m very grateful for it.
Just know, the hardest part is getting there oh and make sure you plan for this ….. falling in love with Camino 😉 🥰
Buen Camino! 👣😎

From what I have seen, Pilgrims follow tradition and never reserve a bed. And that is the crux of the debate and controversy. Personally, I welcome all. Hikers evolve into Pilgrims...eventually, especially if the return.

Love what Perigrina2000 says as I almost always do. She is all things camino!
Right now I am in the planning stages for 3 different caminos. The Portugese for the second time, if I walk with friends. I saw a video of the Aragones and fell in love with it and if I don't walk in late October with my friends I may walk in December and January and do the Aragones/Frances as my wife wants to visit her family over the holidays. Since I am Jewish I could care less about Christmas except if I get presents. I am also thinking about Madrid/Frances and Portuguese coastal as even a third alternative!!! I love planning because it is fun. It also gives me familiarity for a route if I haven't done it. In this case it would be Madrid and Aragones.
The Aragones in the winter would be very difficult if you were starting on the French side. Canfranc is a ski resort that time of year, it would not be very conducive to hiking unless you are wearing snowshoes. I also suspect you would have a problem finding places to stay overnight because some of the lodging going down hill to Jaca was developed to cater to skiers and then when you are hiking at the lower elevations along the river I suspect most places would be closed.

I searched this thread for "your camino" and I was surprised that nobody seems to have said, with emphasis, that it's your camino. You do it just the way you want to. Plan or don't plan, book ahead or don't, stay in albergues or hotels, carry your bag or send it ahead. But you don't need to worry about the route, as it's marked with yellow arrows or scallop shells. But since you are a planner, I would suggest that you read as much as you can and make notes of things you don't want to miss. If you like churches, you might want to make a note of the ones you must see -- Burgos, León and Astorga cathedrals. You like castles? Burgos, Ponferrada, Vega de Valcarce, Pambre. There are places where there are alternative routes -- check out the alternatives: the river route into Burgos; the Samos route between Triacastela and Sarria (take it!).

€46,-
I searched this thread for "your camino" and I was surprised that nobody seems to have said, with emphasis, that it's your camino. You do it just the way you want to. Plan or don't plan, book ahead or don't, stay in albergues or hotels, carry your bag or send it ahead. But you don't need to worry about the route, as it's marked with yellow arrows or scallop shells. But since you are a planner, I would suggest that you read as much as you can and make notes of things you don't want to miss. If you like churches, you might want to make a note of the ones you must see -- Burgos, León and Astorga cathedrals. You like castles? Burgos, Ponferrada, Vega de Valcarce, Pambre. There are places where there are alternative routes -- check out the alternatives: the river route into Burgos; the Samos route between Triacastela and Sarria (take it!).
Yes! Do check alternate routes. We took the ones Bert suggested above and found both unforgettable. There are also times when Brierly takes you into the fields rather than through some small villages. We enjoyed these villages. One of our fondest memories was lady leaning out over her flowerbox signalling for us to come. When we reached near the window, she asked for our passport, took it, looked it over, got to a free page and put her personal sello (stamp) in it. Of the many sellos we have received over the years, this is one we cherish. Whenever we look at it, we smile reflecting on how the camino not only makes you feel good, but also those who make you feel good. It's humanity blessed with our better angels.

The Aragones in the winter would be very difficult if you were starting on the French side. Canfranc is a ski resort that time of year, it would not be very conducive to hiking unless you are wearing snowshoes. I also suspect you would have a problem finding places to stay overnight because some of the lodging going down hill to Jaca was developed to cater to skiers and then when you are hiking at the lower elevations along the river I suspect most places would be closed.
I have been checking it out and I was thinking of starting in Canfrac but as you say it may be very difficult. Would starting in Jaca make it more doable? I was looking at Gronze and other apps and it seems from Jaca there are albergues that are open all year. If I had a problem with an opening I have no issues with taking a taxi or trying to find a bed in a village. Is it completely unrealistic if I was there in the middle of November. Beginning say on November 15? Your knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

I did it in May from Oloron - Ste. Marie. (I always equate May to September/October) There were no other pilgrims until I got to Jaca and then you could count them on one hand. It is lovely and if I could still walk Caminos I would plan on starting from Huesca the next time. I went back a few years later in my car to see San Juan de la Pena, it is one of those stops that should be on every pilgrims bucket list. On my motoring trip, it must have been in December because I remember dropping Sybille Yates off at the Pamplona bus station after a Ditch Pig Dig and I stayed for a night in the Monastery de Leyre which is also a very special place to visit.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Happy planning! We did the camino in '16 from St. Jean to Santiago in 33 days. Hiked 5:30 to noon, washed, napped, spent the rest of the day n evening with people. We planned the next day the night before. Most days it worked, but when it doesn't, just adjust and enjoy!
-- Charles (ps: we hiked three more after Santiago to stick our toes in the ocean, then bussed back)

First - its your Camino. Take a moment and ask yourself what would help you get the most out of it. If some or a lot of planning helps do it. If you want to wing it. Do that. The Francis is very forgiving so things will always work out.

That said I agree with another poster who mentioned that the just showing up and not planning anything does get over romanticized. I've done a number of Camino's and I can say that there were always places and days where there were tears and frustrations from people who walked a long day, on a schedule to get home but no plan and got to town after town with nothing to offer for a bed. No one likes to "talk" about that reality.

I am a planner. I like to know where I am heading each day and just focus on the walking not the whether I have a bed when I get there. Nothing you book on a booking site or from the proprietors is locked in so there is no down side to booking ahead and adjusting as time goes on.

Hi, ils,

Welcome to the forum! And buen camino from one fellow planner to another. Like you, I am used to doing a lot of research, getting the ducks lined up and knowing what’s out there. So I have lists, plans, and alternative plans. Based on those plans, I add a few days and book my flights. I typically reserve a place to stay for at least the first few days. I’ve been walking caminos for twenty years now, and I am pretty sure I have never stuck to any of the many plans I have made. But they served their purpose well, because even though I didn’t stick to them, all the planning meant I knew what my alternatives were and I could adjust easily.

Some people like walking without any ideas about what’s ahead or where they will stay. That’s just not me, but I certainly respect that. Some people like to book everything ahead of time and have the day to day ironed out. That’s not me either, but I respect that as well. You sound like you are in the middle, like me. I like to have the flexibility to be able to stop earlier or walk later than I had planned, but at the same time to have the knowledge I need to be able to adjust. If you find that the accommodations are tight once you start walking, you can start booking a day or so ahead. My advice would be not to book out too far in advance — I have met a lot of people over the years who regretted having everything planned out and their packs delivered to a destination without being able to change on the fly.

One thing is for sure, no matter how much you plan, the Camino will give you some big surprises! Buen camino, Laurie
Good Morning from Kauai,

I've taken so many notes, and jotted down bits and tips on scraps of paper all from reading countless biographies, and now I leave in 2.5 weeks and realized so much of all of that has been misplaced in moves, lost for good, or in storage, and when it has come time I am void of most of what I compiled. Would you mind sharing the "off the beaten track" places that you have found? This is the one category I am heartbroken I don't have my notes for; all the pearls I collected and wanted to see. You can message me if you'd prefer. Thank you for your kindness.

Thank you, Bert. I was beginning to feel that I don't belong on this forum, as it seems that there is a sense that if you have plans before you go, you are doing it wrong. I started out wanting to do the Camino Frances the "right" way--carry only what fits in my backpack, stay in albergues, go without reservations. But I started this dream several years ago--my husband's cancer and subsequent death and then 2 years of Covid got in the way. Now I am 72 and will be walking alone most of the time, in a year that is lining up to be even more crowded than normal (2 years of pent-up Covid walkers plus a second Holy Year). So I sacrificed spontaneity for peace of mind. I'm taking my time, walking at what some would think is a snail's pace (only two days more than 25 km) with break days for cities I want to explore, staying in private rooms (safer with Covid, and the older you are the more important sleep becomes!) and having a bag transported. I understand that this camino won't be the one I long imagined, but it's one I feel I can accomplish and do so with less anxiety. And, if I do it well...then I'll come back next year with my backpack and a Brierley guide 😁. No matter what, this will be my camino.

Thank you, Bert. I was beginning to feel that I don't belong on this forum, as it seems that there is a sense that if you have plans before you go, you are doing it wrong. I started out wanting to do the Camino Frances the "right" way--carry only what fits in my backpack, stay in albergues, go without reservations. But I started this dream several years ago--my husband's cancer and subsequent death and then 2 years of Covid got in the way. Now I am 72 and will be walking alone most of the time, in a year that is lining up to be even more crowded than normal (2 years of pent-up Covid walkers plus a second Holy Year). So I sacrificed spontaneity for peace of mind. I'm taking my time, walking at what some would think is a snail's pace (only two days more than 25 km) with break days for cities I want to explore, staying in private rooms (safer with Covid, and the older you are the more important sleep becomes!) and having a bag transported. I understand that this camino won't be the one I long imagined, but it's one I feel I can accomplish and do so with less anxiety. And, if I do it well...then I'll come back next year with my backpack and a Brierley guide 😁. No matter what, this will be my camino.
Hi Marylou,
You are doing nothing wrong in pre-planning everything for your upcoming Camino. It's all about what "gets you there" no matter how it's done, and your peace of mind in the process.
I have done both...winged everything except the first and final day; pre-planned/pre-booked half; and have also pre-booked everything. All of them have been a pleasure and worked out well for me; I have no regrets. There should be no negativity from others in your approach, so do not be discouraged; the forum is for you!
P.S. I look forward to our next meet-up before you leave.🙂

To name a few off the top of my head:
Short side trip to Eunate before Puenta la Reina
A day break for a wine tour to Laguardia from Logrono
A night at San Anton
The castle in Castrojeriz
Follow the Canal de Castilla for a day going either north or south to the next village
Calzada Romano
Villa Romano near Ledigos and Moratinos
Castro de Castromaior near Portomarin

Last edited:
To change the subject slightly, you are probably aware, from reading this forum, of the many threads about gear. At your age, if you have good health, you should have plenty of time to walk the Frances, if you can walk. I would make only one mention of gear. You must get your footwear, whatever you choose, in advance. Get good advice on choice and fit from an outdoor store and try out whatever you buy on long walks. It must last the length of the Camino Frances, as the possibility of purchasing and breaking in new footwear partway is not, in my opinion, great. Anything else you can purchase or replace along the route, although a comfortable pack is desirable. Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Could someone please enlighten me ref : " lining up the ducks" ? I can remember many a chicken leg on the menu but nary a duck! the expression seems to have crept in recently. I have been a shooter in my time and can see a resemblance and a certain understanding but PLEASE what is it's relevance to us pilgies? :)

samarkand.
Hello malinger,
Ducks in a row or ducks in a line refers to a mother duck getting all her brood in a line to follow her.
In Camino life terms all I can discern they mean is to get your places, ideas and such ("ducks") organized so there are no little surprises!
But if you follow a mother duck you will see she is constantly having to repeat her instructions to her ducklings as they are always going off course.
Such is life on the Camino, right!
Myself, I am more like the Mallard.....just let the ducks go whatever direction they want to go!

Have fun planning and yes 33 days should be good. When I walked my first Camino I was recently retired from a planning profession and simply carried that over to my Camino walk which covered 5 routes in total in Switzerland, France, Spain to Finistère.

I created quite a spreadsheet, booked many nights in advance and in the end the only part of the plan that materialized was that I finished the long walk but 😂 so different than the plan.

Original plan 95 days walking, actual 88
Original rest days while walking 5, actual 2
Original rest days at home 0, actual 204
Original estimated distance 2,400 km, actual 2,600 km
Original avg distance per day 25.3 km, actual 28.4 km

Best example of overplanning ever and best experience of my life!

Enjoy your Camino experience!

Wow, I expected some responses but I did not expect that many. I guess it’s true that our Camino starts long before we start walking as I’m already experiencing the generosity and knowledge of so many pilgrims.

@peregrina2000 That sounds solid, I do find myself more in the middle. I’ll follow your advice and not book out too far in advance. I’m not a diehard planner and I like that idea of letting go enough to be comfortable but not that will lead to worries. I just need to find the middle ground.

@trecile I love this idea of proposed and actual stages! I’m adding a new column to my spreadsheet right now.

@JabbaPapa I’m trying to give myself as much flexibility as I can, but I do work and have to get back to it eventually. I’ll book my return ticket for a week or so after when I plan my arrival in Santiago, knowing that I’ll have to work a few days from there, but that’s why laptops (sent ahead, because I’m not carrying it the whole way) are for. I’m hoping to finish it in 33 days since that’s when my ‘official’ vacation days end, but I believe I can manage a couple of days more directly with my boss, so 35 it is. Then I’ll have the weekend to rest and try to go back to my daily reality before I have to start working again the following Monday (day 38). Not sure how much of this plan will work, but then I’ll adapt. Fingers crossed tho.

@good_old_shoes The distinction between planning and researching seems so obvious now, but I hadn’t thought about that before. I do enjoy planning, but I’ll try to focus more on the latter.

@simongx It’s always good to find other people like us. I’ve told a few friends about it and they all seem to think it’s too far away, but I have a lot of equipment to buy and try. It needs to be online since there aren’t many stores around here that I can go in person. And I’ll try to go about it as you did, book as I walk, and leave room for things to change along the way.

@peregrino_tom that’s great advice indeed. I was focusing more on where I need to sleep and forgetting about the historical and cultural aspects of it. I speak some Spanish, but there’s always room for improvement. I love reading but never read a book about The Camino. I’ll focus more on this part right now and leave the hostels and booking for a few months down the road.

@Susan Peacock May 1st is a holiday here too and it’s a Tuesday, so I’m thinking a lot of people will take the whole weekend before and start Saturday. I’ll book those first few days.

@Bert45 @Anthony Rocco Just wrote down these two alternative routes and I’ll be sure to look out for more.

And in all, thank you everyone for all of your tips. This discussion was helpful and enlightening. Definitely an important step on my planning/researching path.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

33 days is very doable. It would fit in very neatly with Breirly guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To change the subject slightly, you are probably aware, from reading this forum, of the many threads about gear. At your age, if you have good health, you should have plenty of time to walk the Frances, if you can walk. I would make only one mention of gear. You must get your footwear, whatever you choose, in advance. Get good advice on choice and fit from an outdoor store and try out whatever you buy on long walks. It must last the length of the Camino Frances, as the possibility of purchasing and breaking in new footwear partway is not, in my opinion, great. Anything else you can purchase or replace along the route, although a comfortable pack is desirable. Buen camino.
It's hard to find a good outdoor store around here (it's hard to find any, actually). I have a list of a few recommended shoes that I've seen and I plan on buying one and going for my usual walks/runs around the neighborhood and beach. Once I get a feeling of whether it's comfortable or not, I'll go for some longer walks or buy a different one. I'm just afraid that I'll end up breaking it too much, so to speak.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It's hard to find a good outdoor store around here (it's hard to find any, actually). I have a list of a few recommended shoes that I've seen and I plan on buying one and going for my usual walks/runs around the neighborhood and beach. Once I get a feeling of whether it's comfortable or not, I'll go for some longer walks or buy a different one. I'm just afraid that I'll end up breaking it too much, so to speak.
Footwear can certainly be a problem, if you have to buy it online. When I returned from my last camino I bought a new pair of EVA Birkenstock sandals, identical in size and model to those which I had just worn out, according to the online information. They turned out to be sized according to revised sizing, which is narrower. I kept them, because it would be expensive to return them, but I shall never buy footwear online again. Can you find a supplier which will permit easy returns, if they don't fit? You still have plenty of time to work on this before your camino. Personally, I wear boots, which tend to last longer, and I have access in my home city to replacements. I really shouldn't have mentioned this on your post about planning, but if there is one thing that is likely to ruin a camino, it is badly fitting footwear.

No route planning is needed. All you need to know is how many days will life allow you to walk and factor that in with how far you think you can walk everyday. Get a guidebook and compare all that to the route information and get to stepping.
ultreia

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The best plan is not to have a plan. Just go. Most pilgrims make plans and they break in the first days. Relax, and live in the now (for a change). The walk is much easier and uncomplicated than you fear. You are walking through a civilized country. All you need can be bought for a fraction of that at home.

Walk in peace. Take each day as a new day. Change plans.. Change stops. You will have different experiences. Do not follow the "guide books". Have fun.

Last edited:
Where is "here?"
REI can be very helpful if you are from the US. I would talk to them and discuss your foot size and any fitting issues you might have, send them an outilne of your foot and have them send you the boots or shoes which they recommend, try them out and there you go.

I love to plan things in detail, but when it comes to Caminos the only things I plan is transport there and back and the first night's accommodation. I never plan the actual Camino. The way I look at it is that if you plan all of your accommodation and what you want to see on the way, then it stops being a Camino and becomes a tourist walk. For me, a Camino is heading out on the first morning and letting the Camino decide. I only ever stay in albergues and never book ahead. I have never missed out on somewhere to stay. The distance I walk every day depends on what I have done, who I have met and how much sightseeing I have done during that day. My days can vary from 20 to 35 kilometres per day depending on how I feel and where I am at the time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Where is "here?"
REI can be very helpful if you are from the US. I would talk to them and discuss your foot size and any fitting issues you might have, send them an outilne of your foot and have them send you the boots or shoes which they recommend, try them out and there you go.
Just now realized I've never mentioned I'm from Brazil (Rio de Janeiro). The closest to an outdoor store I have nearby is Decathlon, but my local store is small. The few stores that existed in Rio closed down during the pandemic and are now online only. I could find good stores in São Paulo or other states, but I don't believe it's worth the cost of traveling there just for that. I'm focusing on saving money for the Camino right now, as the Real-Euro exchange rate is not at all favorable (for Brazilians) right now.

I love to plan things in detail, but when it comes to Caminos the only things I plan is transport there and back and the first night's accommodation. I never plan the actual Camino. The way I look at it is that if you plan all of your accommodation and what you want to see on the way, then it stops being a Camino and becomes a tourist walk. For me, a Camino is heading out on the first morning and letting the Camino decide. I only ever stay in albergues and never book ahead. I have never missed out on somewhere to stay. The distance I walk every day depends on what I have done, who I have met and how much sightseeing I have done during that day. My days can vary from 20 to 35 kilometres per day depending on how I feel and where I am at the time.
I think "winging it" becomes a problem if you walk with up to three additional family members as I have done before...just saying. Far easier with just yourself, or one additional person.

Indeed. Cool down, pilgrims: This is working, But 35 kms/day is out of my comfort zone, being an old man now.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On my first Camino, I planned only two things: my first night in St JeanpdePort and my flight back.
My ‘booked’ albergue hadn’t kept my reservation because I had failed to confirm on the day - even though I had told them when I was landing and which train I was taking…And I was on time (And they never asked me to confirm! 🙄) So I had to find somewhere else when I arrived.
My flight back I had to change too, since I walked much faster than planned, even though I went to Fisterra and Muxia afterwards…
Last year, because we were still Covid-stricken, I did book ahead as many places I knew and liked were closed. Big mistake, as I was practically always on my own 😂
So no, I’m not a great fan of planning ahead! 😁
Hasn’t worked for me! 😉

Just now realized I've never mentioned I'm from Brazil (Rio de Janeiro). The closest to an outdoor store I have nearby is Decathlon, but my local store is small. The few stores that existed in Rio closed down during the pandemic and are now online only. I could find good stores in São Paulo or other states, but I don't believe it's worth the cost of traveling there just for that. I'm focusing on saving money for the Camino right now, as the Real-Euro exchange rate is not at all favorable (for Brazilians) right now.
When you get SJPdP there are few reliable outfitters, but the problem will be breaking in your boots and not coming up with blisters the first week.
Because you are not leaving until May, I wonder if REI would take the chance to send you boots or shoes to try out based on what I posted earlier. It is worth a try, they consider themselves the preeminent outdoors supply store and equipping someone from Rio, who is 6000 miles away from Denver would be a feather in their cap.

Since your local Decathlon store is small can you order online from Decathlon and return items that don't work to your local store?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@ils,
Do you have or are you familiar with Hypafix? It comes in broad rolls of thin tape with plastic backing. Cut it to shape to wrap your feet and toes as needed, then remove the backing and apply it to your feet: sticky side against the foot and smooth it on. It absorbs any rubbing from footwear and I never get blisters while using it. I cannot buy it in Canada, so I buy a box at a Farmacia when I arrive in Spain and use it every day. It is very easy to peel off, and replace with fresh. It is useful when wearing new footwear which needs to be broken in. If you cannot manage to purchase and break in new footwear before you leave, you might try it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do you have or are you familiar with Hypafix?... I cannot buy it in Canada,
You can buy a number of similar "retention bandages" in Canada - Hypafix, Medfix, and Omnifix. I have found it on shelves in pharmacies here, but you might need to ask for it, because it isn't the most popular consumer product. (I think it is more likely to be used for nursing care, for example to hold IV needles/tubes in place.) But it is available.

You can buy a number of similar "retention bandages" in Canada - Hypafix, Medfix, and Omnifix. I have found it on shelves in pharmacies here, but you might need to ask for it, because it isn't the most popular consumer product. (I think it is more likely to be used for nursing care, for example to hold IV needles/tubes in place.) But it is available.
Well, that's interesting. Thanks. When I asked for it in a pharmacy in Calgary, I was told that it is not available in Canada. Perhaps I used a Spanish name, rather than whatever it goes by in Canada. Hypafix and Omnifix are how I usually see it labelled in Spain. My current box says "Leukoplast" as a brand name, with "Hypafix" in small letters and something really tiny that looks like an R inside a circle; "Registered name?" I am pleased to be able to look for it locally.

Last edited:
This is my experience:
In fall of 2019 I began planning a May/June 2020 Camino. Watched a ton of youtube, read a lot of guides, surfed the internet. I planned and planned and planned and even packed my bags. And then I had to cancel due to COVID.

In fall of 2020 I began to plan for a hopeful May/June 2021 Camino. I watched more youtube, read more guides, and surfed more internet. I planned and planned and planned and even packed my bags. And then I had to cancel, again, due to COVID, again.

Early 2021 I planned an alternate hike closer to home on the Pacific Crest Trail for that same time period. I watched youtube, read guides, and surfed the internet. I planned and planned and planned and even packed my bags and my resupply boxes. And I did go... with my kids... who hated it. They made me miserable to the point that after just a few days we headed home. And on the way home - Spain announced that the were indeed going to allow vaccinated tourists to come in just a couple days. I literally went home, upacked, did laundry, repacked, then headed (SOLO) to Spain. This time I packed last minute, and the only thing that was planned was my plane tickets. I didn't have my notes on where I wanted to stay or what I wanted to see. And funny thing is after a stressful year of COVID - I couldn't remember any of those carefully planned details. I arrived in Madrid and searched for the train station and headed to Pamplona. On the way to Pamplona I reserved a place for the night in Pamplona. Then I searched for the bus station and made my way to SJPDP. And on the way to SJPDP I reserved my first night in SJPDP. Then in the morning I started walking, I called Orisson and reserved a bed (but normally Orisson MUST be reserved in advance). And the rest of my Camino? I just winged it. Some days I reserved a bed for that night. Some days I walked until I found a place to stay. And I discovered that had it not been for COVID and so many albergues being closed - I loved the spontaneity and flexibility of not booking ahead even the same day or night before.

If you are doing the Frances or another highly traveled route - planning is NOT necessary. At least - not for the most part. I am going again this summer. This summer I am concerned that too many people who missed 2020 and 2021 Caminos will be on the Frances this summer. This does make me nervous. So... I did go ahead and reserve SJPDP, Orisson, Roncesvalles, Pamplona, Puenta la Reina, and Estrella. Really only the first 4 reservations should be needed, but I knew where I wanted to stop for those first 6 nights - so I went ahead and booked. After that? I plan to listen to the reports of those who hiked in the days ahead of me to see whether nightly reservations are needed or not. And I am guessing probably not. And if that is the case, I plan to stay as flexible as possible. The first week, you shouldn't push yourself to go beyond the normal "stages" to prevent injuries as you physically adapt to the Camino. But after that, I know from experience that some days you won't want to stop at the stages towns and will be more than capable of walking further distances. Or... perhaps you find a place that inspires you to stay for the night. Do it! Also - you will meet people along the way that you want to walk with, and planning ahead too much may prevent the flexibility to stay with those new friends.

Good luck and enjoy!
If ever one needed proof of the adage, "The Camino will provide," then the above quoted post is it.
On my first Camino, I booked a bed at Orisson several weeks before arriving in San Jean. The morning I planned to leave SJPdP, I checked in with the Pilgrim Office on my way out. That's how I learned that, because of snow, the Napolean Route was closed that day and probably the next (this was in mid-May, mind you).
I had already checked out of my albergue in SJPdP and, now, my reservation for that night in Orisson was unusable. So, I did the unthinkable - I just started walking. I walked the ValCarlos and got to Roncevalles that day.
That was the last time I booked ahead on the Camino.

You will be planing but not from home months ahead. Everyday around 1 PM you will plan how far you want to go that day. How tired are you. Where do you want to stop. The next town or the town a little farther. After you arrive and sort things out, shower, laundry, firstaid, etc, you plan, hopefully with others, your next day plan. It will depend on how you feel, how steep or flat is it, do I need an ATM, or up scale lodging. It will depend if you want to walk with new found friends, catch up with others, or just be alone. Everything will also depend on you schedule. Are you running behind schedule or have time to kill. So yes you plan but not until you start.

€60,-

samarkand.
It means getting everything organized, planned, predictable and ready to go.

I have told this story from time to time on this Forum and I think it worth repeating.

On my second Camino, I met a very skilled surgeon from the United States who was a complete and total perfectionist. In planning his Camino, he read hundreds of books, consulted maps, poured over elevation charts, and looked up historical weather data. He left nothing to chance. The invasion of Normandy took less planning. He was so precise that he prebooked a room for every night of the Camino--some 40 carefully planned out reservations. In all, he spent almost a thousand hours planning out the perfect Camino. The most absolutely glorious, never been seen before, perfect Camino. It was a piece of artwork that rivaled the David or the Mona Lisa.

Then his Camino started.

On the first day he fell in with a Camino family. He loved his Camino family and they loved him. But there was only one problem. His Camino family was being spontaneous. They were living in the moment. As a result, they would not decide on where to stop for the night until mid-afternoon at the earliest. Rarely did his Camino family stop where he had a reservation.

His solution? He would stop where they stopped, have a beer with them, grab a taxi, rush forward/backward to the village where he had his room, check in, shower, change clothes, grab a taxi back to his Camino family, have dinner with them, grab a taxi back to his room, sleep, get up, grab a taxi back to his Camino family, and resume walking with them. I observed this odd behavior all the way from SJPP to Leon.

Finally, one day I asked him, "Why don't you just cancel the remainder of your reservations and stay in the same village as your Camino family?" Before he responded, he looked left, looked right, and then leaned in towards me and whispered, "I don't want to admit that being a perfectionist about my Camino was a complete and total waste of time."

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I celebrated my 59th birthday in Santiago after my first Camino. I walked from SJPdP to Finisterre in 35 days.
On that first Camino I didn't really plan. I just made sure that I had a few extra days built in. Now however, I do like to make spreadsheets of my proposed stages, then I like to see how close or far off I was when I finish.

I have two columns on the spreadsheet - Proposed stages, and Actual stages. I also make notes on where I stayed, how well (or not) I liked the albergue. If I splurged on a private room, what the stage was like, etc. I find myself referring back to these spreadsheets fairly often.
We're "planning" to walk from Porto next month. However, I haven't done much, if any planning, yet. Based on your experience, if I'm set for my Porto accommodations, can I just wing the rest of it?

We're "planning" to walk from Porto next month. However, I haven't done much, if any planning, yet. Based on your experience, if I'm set for my Porto accommodations, can I just wing the rest of it?
I booked two nights in Porto and enjoyed being a tourist in the city. I booked nothing else. After leaving the hotel I walked for a few hours stopped for breakfast and the walked until about 13:30. The I stopped, found somewhere to stay and then explored the area, had a meal and returned to the hotel/pension/ aubergue and planned for the next day. It worked well I'll do the same on my next Camino!! So, Noel & Anna wing it and have a wonderful Camino!

First - its your Camino. Take a moment and ask yourself what would help you get the most out of it. If some or a lot of planning helps do it. If you want to wing it. Do that. The Francis is very forgiving so things will always work out.

That said I agree with another poster who mentioned that the just showing up and not planning anything does get over romanticized. I've done a number of Camino's and I can say that there were always places and days where there were tears and frustrations from people who walked a long day, on a schedule to get home but no plan and got to town after town with nothing to offer for a bed. No one likes to "talk" about that reality.

I am a planner. I like to know where I am heading each day and just focus on the walking not the whether I have a bed when I get there. Nothing you book on a booking site or from the proprietors is locked in so there is no down side to booking ahead and adjusting as time goes on.
Interesting perspective. I also like to plan--information makes me feel comfortable--and from where I live it's a long plane ride. So I build in not only some planned rest days but also a few at the end in case of need. (Like coming down with a cold and needing to spend a day or so with mucho soup, resting, or maybe a muscle strain.) So far we have been able to use those "extra" days to explore Madrid a little. The research, and the spreadsheet, give me a framework. I don't call it cast in stone! My personal perspective is that much of the lesson of the Camino is trust. We call ahead a day or so if approaching a large city, especially Santiago, but mostly go with what comes. And sometimes the arrows all fly away (dunno how they did that! but we really needed that rest day.) and we give up and hop the train to the next place, calling that our rest day instead.
You will be watched over--not only by the occasional Guardia car going by and seeing how all the pilgrims are doing, not only by the people who straighten you out when you're going the wrong way, and by your fellow pilgrims--I am convinced there is more to it. But that strays close to the border of forbidden topics on this board, so I will leave it at that.

For the original poster: it is useful to know whether you desire to qualify for the Compostela or not while planning, as there are a few rules for the Compostela certificate. Other than that there are no actual rules for the Camino except be brave, be sensible, be a good neighbor to your fellow pilgrims. Blisters can hurt, but they don't have to end your pilgrimage. Black toes, likewise. Pharmacists in Spain can do some prescribing, but unlike many in the US they don't do an injection. I always carry Lotrimin in case of foot fungus, alcohol gauze and paper tape to treat blisters. Be sure your shoes accommodate the swelling of the foot after the first 8 or so miles (abt 13 km) of the day's walk. Test shoe/sock combination before leaving.

Buen camino.
(edited to fix spelling of "shoe")

Last edited:
Hello malinger,
Ducks in a row or ducks in a line refers to a mother duck getting all her brood in a line to follow her.
In Camino life terms all I can discern they mean is to get your places, ideas and such ("ducks") organized so there are no little surprises!
But if you follow a mother duck you will see she is constantly having to repeat her instructions to her ducklings as they are always going off course.
Such is life on the Camino, right!
Myself, I am more like the Mallard.....just let the ducks go whatever direction they want to go!
I have always thought that the expression is not to do with real ducks, but the metal ducks used as targets in a fairground shooting gallery. Having googled, I've found that it seems that the jury is out.

I'm another who enjoys the planning, and I can't say there was a big spiritual difference for me between sections where I followed the plan and sections where I didn't. After the fifth day on the Camino Francés I wasn't even following my actual projected stops, but it was still valuable in having benchmarks - I knew when I had extra days to take a detour, or when I should walk longer days if I wanted to actually make it to Santiago before my flight home.

Still, it's not necessary at all. If you enjoy planning, plan away! Just don't make any reservations or commitments.

Short-term planning, now, definitely paid off! And by this I mean planning out one or two days ahead, especially as you enter Galicia. I tried to time it so that I had big climbs at the beginning of the day rather than at the end (such as the 800 m ascent to O Cebreiro) - it is much more pleasant that way. IN the last 100 km a bit of planning will help you avoid the huge crowds & walk a quieter camino.
Walk in Gascony. There will be ducks on the menus!

Absolutely.
I added the walk from Tui to SdC after my camino francés last year, just because I had a week free before my flight back.
No planning but even worse, no idea where I was going as this was a spur of the moment decision. It worked out absolutely fine, I loved it.
Found accommodation every night, even in Covid time.

Hi, there are a number of very good apps you can download to your phone that have the route well laid out into stages, and suggestions for alberques, places to eat, and things to see along the way. Distances are shown, and you can use that info as an easy way to plan your schedule. If you have 33 days, that should be ample. Buen Camino!
Hi, Do you have a specific app (or two) you highly recommend? We'll probably start with the Portuguese Costal or the last part of the French. Thanks.

Hi, Do you have a specific app (or two) you highly recommend? We'll probably start with the Portuguese Costal or the last part of the French. Thanks.
There are several good apps, many are free. My preferred app is the Buen Camino app.

Any tips?
I took the alternate route via Samos, which put me completely out of synch with everyone. There were nights where there were only six pilgrims in the entire town, and I met them all. I didn’t realize until the last day that there were many, many hundreds of pilgrims in each town on the traditional stages.

But I think just timing it so you pass through Sarria at lunchtime will place you between the big waves.

Also, I used the French Miam-Miam guide, which didn’t have suggested stages - so I was pretty clueless as to what the “main” stages were, beyond the famous cities.

I wanted to show maryloufrommadison just how beautiful the monastery at Samos is, and, I thought later, the paintings on the albergue walls and ceiling. I found I was unable to attach photos to a conversation, so I'm just attaching a couple here. If anyone can tell me how I can easily attach photos to a conversation – non-techy – please do.3-DSCN9623.JPG4-DSCN9626.JPG5-DSCN9660.JPG6-DSCN9670.JPG7-DSCN9686.JPG1-2 nd sd card 1095.JPG2-2 nd sd card 1098.JPG

€149,-
I wanted to show maryloufrommadison just how beautiful the monastery at Samos is, and, I thought later, the paintings on the albergue walls and ceiling. I found I was unable to attach photos to a conversation, so I'm just attaching a couple here. If anyone can tell me how I can easily attach photos to a conversation – non-techy – please do.View attachment 120709View attachment 120710View attachment 120711View attachment 120712View attachment 120713View attachment 120714View attachment 120715
Thanks, Bert. Very tempting! It looks beautiful.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back