• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much sand?

J.T. Turner

Hello all!

2 weeks till my walk from Porto. I am thinking of the coastal route and am wondering how much actual beach walking there is as opposed to boardwalks/hard packed paths. (this is mostly for the leg out of Porto, I will rejoin the main Way a day or two in).

Thanks on advance, this Forum is a godsend!

Jtactor

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not much sand. In fact you can avoid all the sand by walking on the wooden boardwalk and now and than following the tarmac as a detour parallel to the boardwalk

All we walked on sand is about a few hundred meters.
Later on in a kind of natural dune environs just before Vila do Conde you will encounter some dirt (sandy) tracks Not much anyway.
From Vila do Conde you will go to São Pedro de Rates en continue on the central route to Barcelos. Great walk. Bom caminho

The walk along the coast between River Douro and Vila do Conde can be tiring at places because the boardwalk is broken and you have to walk on sand (not long distances, anyway), and other times you will have to walk in land. There are some confusing bits, like when you pass Angeiras, you find arrows sending you inland, but after a while you stop seeing arrows. Also, the arrival in Vila do Conde is via tarmac.

I would avoid walking from Vila do Conde to San Pedro de Rates, it just tarmac and very tiring cobblestones (bar the last 800 meters), the traffic is atrocious at places, and there are no hard shoulders. This is a part to be avoided, in my opinion.

I just did that part about one month ago, if I had to do it again, I would walk down the river and then up the coast in Matosinhos, then take a bus or train to San Pedro de Rates or even Barcelos in order to avoid tarmac, traffic and cobblestones. Barcelos is a gorgeous town

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.