• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much storage for your DSLR/mobile?

Sebastian Cohen

Time of past OR future Camino
Soon to be Camino Frances
Thank God that extra storage doesn't take up any more space or add any more weight. But what it does do however is cost more. After spending a riddikulus amount on rain gear, I'm trying to be sensible with my money again. If not, I could just get two 128GB SDXC cards and be done with it.....

But exactly HOW much storage are people expecting to use OR how much have you used for the entirety of the Camino?

Combined photo/video - DSLR/Digital camera

AND

Storage on mobilephone

Pictures are easy enough, it't the video part thats going to eat space. How much did you actually film?

I would hate to spend money on cards that will have little use after the Camino (too large) and would hate even more to have to delete stuff halfway.

Cheers and salutations!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many places have wifi, so as long as you have a device that can read the card and access the internet, you can upload pictures along the way to make room for more. This is trivial if you're using a smartphone as your camera.

Many of the latest smartphones/tablets have USB OTG (on the go) functionality, which means they can act as USB hosts. You need to get an adaptor that plugs into your phone's micro-usb (or usb-c) socket that has a normal USB socket, into which you can plug a SD card reader. Make sure you try it out before you leave to make sure you have it all working correctly.

Many places have wifi, so as long as you have a device that can read the card and access the internet, you can upload pictures along the way to make room for more. This is trivial if you're using a smartphone as your camera.

Many of the latest smartphones/tablets have USB OTG (on the go) functionality, which means they can act as USB hosts. You need to get an adaptor that plugs into your phone's micro-usb (or usb-c) socket that has a normal USB socket, into which you can plug a SD card reader. Make sure you try it out before you leave to make sure you have it all working correctly.

I'll be using my DSLR for pictures and video. SD card(s). I will also bring my mobile phone and my iPad for "creature comfort". I have the Apple SD-card reader and can upload to Dropbox...but thats what I was hoping to avoid. Getting too deep into my tech stuff. I would like to keep on taking pictures and look at them when I'm home.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As for how much space you need, that depends heavily on how many pictures you take. Some people hardly take any pictures, some stop at every bend in the trail and every flower. Only you can know how many picture you'll take per day. Also, the resolution you use makes a big difference. If you insist on using raw mode on a camera with a 20 MP sensor, you will use a whole lot more space than someone who sticks with 800x600 jpegs.

Take the number of pictures you expect to take per day, multiply by the space a picture takes at the resolution you expect to use, and multiply by the number of days you expect to be walking. That's how much space you need.

As for video, that also depends on you. On our two weeks last year, I think I took about a minute of video. So I didn't need much space for it. But the very fact that you're asking about it indicates that you shoot a lot more video than I do. So asking how much I shot really doesn't give you much info. Only you can say how much video you're likely to shoot.

Thank God that extra storage doesn't take up any more space or add any more weight. But what it does do however is cost more. After spending a riddikulus amount on rain gear, I'm trying to be sensible with my money again. If not, I could just get two 128GB SDXC cards and be done with it.....
But exactly HOW much storage are people expecting to use OR how much have you used for the entirety of the Camino?
Combined photo/video - DSLR/Digital camera
AND

Storage on mobilephone
Pictures are easy enough, it't the video part thats going to eat space. How much did you actually film?
I would hate to spend money on cards that will have little use after the Camino (too large) and would hate even more to have to delete stuff halfway.

Cheers and salutations!

I shot about 350 short (average 2 min) HD video clips on my smart phone (edited down to a 37 min mini movie) and took about 1,000 photos.

I took some test video at different resolutions and worked out the file size per minute.

I then estimated how much video and photos I would take.... taking short videos at different resolutions

Memory
46 Days
3 Vids/Day
4 Mins/Vid
130 MB/Min/Vid
71.8 Total GB
1.56 GB/Day Upload

46 Days
25 Pics/Day
4 MB/Pic
5 Total GB
0.1 GB/Day Upload

I took 2 x 64 GB cards, but only needed 1.
I think all up I used about 47 GB.

Of course the resolution you are using makes a huge different to file size.

My videos were 1920 x 1080 and photos 4128 x 3096 (13 M Pixel)

A DSLR will be shooting much larger files...

I uploaded as I went, but it could take many hours each night depending on WiFi speed.
If there was no WiFi or it was slow, I just used by phone SIM. I topped up my phone credit a lot :eek:

I wasn't really uploading to create space on the card, but to have a 'backup'. And mainly because I had someone back at the office editing and posting the video, audio transcripts and photos as I went.

So back to the question. I would suggest you shoot some test video to gauge the file size, estimate how much you will shoot and work out the storage capacity required.

Of course all this can go out the window once you hit the Camino as you end up shooting more or less footage :D

Last edited:
I brought a small 20 megapixel camera, shot in RAW; some video and lots of photos and walked for 6 weeks covering 780 miles. I used 120gb shooting mainly landscape and wildlife. I'm not much of a people photographer.

Mike

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back