• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much time for Atapuerca?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laliibeans

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
One of my must-see's along the Camino is Atapuerca. As an archaeologist I have a really strong desire to visit but I'm not sure how much time I'll need.

For anyone who's been there, how long will I need to see it (I've heard it's open to the public, is that correct?), will an afternoon be enough?

I've had a lot of trouble finding out much about the site regarding visitors, etc, so would love to hear from anyone who's been.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The excavations can be visited via the Museo de la Evolución Humana in Burgos. You can get a ticket that includes the museum, a bus trip to and guided tour (in Spanish) of the excavations, and entrance to a recreation of the prehistoric village. I think it was something like 12 euros with the pilgrim discount. The tour at Atapuerca took about 90 minutes.

As I understand, you cannot just show up at the site and look around.

The museum website is: http://www.museoevolucionhumana.com

Thank you! I'll check out that link and hopefully find out what times the tours go, etc.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have taken the tour from Burgos, it is only conducted in Spanish, during the tour you don't actually get to visit the excavation, you visit the entrance of each excavation site/cave whilst the guide talks about it ( in Spanish ) , Go to he museum of human evolution, you will see much more in their mockup .

Thanks for the info, everyone. After looking at some of those links it might be a bit too much time out to visit the actual dig this time around, but the museum looks like it's definitely worth a visit. Maybe I can go past on my way back and really get to enjoy it.

I wonder how much bribery it'll take to drag my niece along, too...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi! I am also an archaeologist. The exhibit at the Burgos museum is one of the finest on any subject I have seen. However the rest of the museum is like a ghost town..(economy?) So, an hour tops..since the actual site is limited why not go here?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clunia
It looks amazing and I have always wanted to go. It is an active site and you can book in as a volunteer...in Burgos there is a very out dated museum near the other one called Casa de Miranda which houses earlier finds from this site! Have fun!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've been to the museum also. I thought it was a nice museum! I think in order to see the site you need to show up early, when they first open. Then give yourself time to look at the museum. There is a nice Cathedral in Burgos, the choo-choo train from the square for 4 euros is actually sort of nice, because you see the whole town, and there are some nice restaurants there. Why not spend 2 nights there with an entire day of touristing? There are plenty of private places to lodge for one night. Share a room with another pilgrim for under 20 euros each. You can then shorten your Camino a bit by busing out of Leon to Virgen del Camino or missing a stretch on the Meseta or ?? It would be a shame to miss it if this is your passion.

The ruins of Clunia mentioned by CaminoJohn are roughly 90 k southeast from Burgos. If you do visit there stop also at the monastery of Santo Domingo de Silos which is 'on the way' . This is not a an archeological site but a magnificent architectural complex with a splendid Romanesque cloister and famous Gregorian chants. For more information see this Forum thread >>
el-camino-frances/topic16731.html and the monastery web site >> http://www.abadiadesilos.es/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We were lucky to get the last 2 seats on the last tour of the day. It is absolutely well worth the visit. When we returned to the visitors centre, we just had time to visit the display. If I remember we'll, the centre is closed on Mondays, meaning no tour to the site either. Oh yes, the bus also stopped in Ages to pick up a couple there too. Anne

Thanks everyone, I'll definitely look into Clunia, too. I'm going to recommend to my mum that we take two rest days along the way, and Burgos and Leon might be good places to do so. Then we can also see the sites. I think it would probably do us all good!

I'm hoping to have about a week and a half afterwards and was originally planning to visit Morocco briefly, but it seems like visiting Granada and some other places in Spain might be easier at this stage. I can always go back to Morocco!

The information in English on the Internet says that the museum and tour are closed on Monday. Correct.

It says that in June the site tour begins at 11:15 on Tuesdays at the Atapuerca visitor center. Incorrect. It begins at 1700 from there -- the big building, not the small building by the demonstration village. Tickets were available on demand, but if the bus fills, you will be turned away, so calling to reserve is advisable. The operator spoke English. During the rest of the week tours begin from Burgos, but the schedule changes in July. Call ahead and hope for the English speaking operator!

The pilgrim rate was 5€.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was just at the Museo de la Evolucion Humana in Burgos this late May. We were not offered the tour, so not sure if it is limited to certain time of day/days of the week. I can certainly see for somebody like yourself visiting the Museum. I liked it. Even got my Pilgrim Credential stamped there! :D (pilgrims get a discount!).

I suggest when you walk by Atapuerca head out towards the hilltop church. On the outside corner there is a board/poster describing the current geology in front of you in the context of how it may had looked in prehistoric times. I found that fascinating. Don't miss it; quick detour.

BUEN CAMINO!!

Thanks for the tip! Glad you can get a stamp there, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back