Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much water is ‘plenty’ on the Hospitales?

Jan Jones

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2018, Norte, 2019, Camino Primitivo 2023
I am Australian and so have a reasonable understanding of the importance of adequate water When hiking.. However, I was a tad alarmed to read a comment, elsewhere, from someone who walked the Hospitales last week which says they carried 5 litres and still ran out before Berducuedo (they did acknowledge being a “big guy”) . I was planning 2-3 depending on weather.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I was planning 2-3 depending on weather.
Sounds like more than enough for me on a hot day. Admittedly, I am not a big person and I don't subscribe to the notion than one must be constantly sipping water. You know what you need for a day of walking, and being in Spain is no different.

I am Australian and so have a reasonable understanding of the importance of adequate water When hiking.. However, I was a tad alarmed to read a comment, elsewhere, from someone who walked the Hospitales last week which says they carried 5 litres and still ran out before Berducuedo (they did acknowledge being a “big guy”) . I was planning 2-3 depending on weather.
Hi Jan, from another Australian. I’ve walked the Hospitales route twice, in October so admittedly the weather was cool. I have a 2 litre camelbak and probably had a 600 ml water bottle as well. I didn’t run out of water either time. It’s a wonderful path. Enjoy. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There is a water fountain by the church in Lago, 5 KM after Montefurado. So, not as far as Berducedo, a bit better.

Unless you stay in Samblismo, which is the last place before the Hospitales, there is vending machine in Borres (good for those starting out further back from Campiello).

So from Borres to Lago will be 21 KM.

You’ll know from walking the previous 3-4 days how you consume water in this Camino, as weather, elevation etc will make it probably different than what you’re used to.

For this stage I topped up my bladder so had 2L (usually I only partly fill it), plus a 500ml lifestraw bottle.

I walked in October and although it started off a cool morning, by the time I reached Montefurado it was proper hot. I had to start thinking of rationing my bladder, and reached Lago just when I was down to the last drops of the bladder but with the 500ml bottle still largely intact - I drank from it when having lunch.

FYI, the man who lives in Montefurado doesn’t like pilgrims using his external tap, even when they ask for permission they will get denied and with strong words. I think it’s such a shame, he will be very popular if he installed a vending machine there! Or a food truck in Puerto del Palo.

I first wondered if Hospitales being a pile of ash since the big fires a week ago would make a difference. But then again it was never a route with lots of shade, so the lower vegetation being burnt should not change the water situation at all.
Back to the main question:
Unless on a very hot summer day I am not sure I would actually manage to drink 5 litres even if I had to.
I would never go with more than 2-3 litres.

Last edited:
Between my wife and I we had just over 3 L of water for this section in early September 2018 We ran out, but a kindly Spanish lady that lives along the trail refilled our bottles before we reached Berducedo.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is one of these threads that is impossible to answer. It’s like “do I need a sleeping bag?”Water intake varies dramatically from person to person. There is no “normal”, no “average“ that someone can give you. In addition, terrain and weather will have a big impact. I have never walked with more than 2 L of water on any stage of a camino, and I can’t remember too many times when I ran out, even back in the days when I was walking in the low 40s. But many would have drunk way more than that. You shouldn’t take anyone else’s advice, just find out what works for you.

Walked it last September! Only took a 500ml bottle, left samblismo in torrential rain, didn’t let up the whole day!

Between my wife and I, we carried just over 5 1/2 L, and we ran out. This was May of last year, and it was beastly hot for us American Pacific-North-Westerners.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola
When filling your bottle also fill your gut with water.
Bring 2-3 liters and drink another 1 liter.
Should be enough in my opinion.
I hope this helps.
Lettinggo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks everyone - of course it depends on the individual - I am a bit of a camel so the advice about a very big drink at the outset is useful. If it is going to be stinking hot I’ll be taking the alternative road.

Water and electrolytes...and do what works for you. If you've trained with pack for distance and altitude, then you'll know what you need.

Thanks everyone - of course it depends on the individual - I am a bit of a camel so the advice about a very big drink at the outset is useful. If it is going to be stinking hot I’ll be taking the alternative road.
It is true that the Pola de Allande alternative does have more shade, both on the descent to Pola de Allande, and the route back up from town. But it also has a lot more elevation gain (about 400m, I believe), and the last few hundred meters up to where it meets up with the Hospitales route are pretty steep.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I watch Álvaro Lazaga’s Camino youtubes, and now on his camino no. 52, he never carries water. He drinks two liters before he leaves each morning, and will occasionally drink from fountains if he sees them. I don’t think many would recommend that regimen, but it obviously works fine for him.
Wow… I would have to stay put and near a ‘loo. The pain in my bladder would be excruciating! I wonder how on earth he does it! But he also wears sandal shoes in snow…. And shorts…. Astonishing.

I am worried of people who say that they go through 5 liters of water during hiking. There is either a severe mineral deficiency issue or the temperature in the day has gotten too hot for you (heavier body + gear generates more heat when moving).

The more you drink water the worse a lack of salts in your system gets. You need to refill on electrolytes, not just water. For hard stretches buy some Aquarius and eat a bit of mineral rich food the day before. Have also some peanut M&Ms or other trail snacks with you. Undereating calories or hiking while fasted will also make you sweat more.

When it comes to temperature, then my personal experience is that once air temperature hits +25 degrees then my water consumption need goes drastically up. So I either start the Camino on a mildly warm season or I start hiking even before sunrise. This way I have finished before midday heat and did not need to carry as much water with me.

I took two litres of water with me today on the Hospitales, both bottles with electrolyte/hydration tablets from Science in Sport added. That lasted me for a day (and I'm pretty sweaty, if that's not TMI!) but I did drink a bit more with breakfast and guzzler down a bottle on arrival at Berducedo...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I took two litres of water with me today on the Hospitales, both bottles with electrolyte/hydration tablets from Science in Sport added. That lasted me for a day (and I'm pretty sweaty, if that's not TMI!) but I did drink a bit more with breakfast and guzzler down a bottle on arrival at Berducedo...
Did you have to pre-book for Berducedo? I'm due there in about 3 weeks... and missed out last fall because it was all full, as was Borres... so I went via the "low road".

I didn't for Berducedo, and rhe albergue here is less than half full. I'd also suggest looking at the new albergue at Colina de Arriba (ypu can reserve on their website) - it's a few km from Borres on the Pola route, but there's a route from there to the Hospitales (about a km of steep ascent) that makes rhe day only 21km to Berducedo.

I walked the Hospitales route in perfect conditions a couple of weeks ago. I took 3 litres, it was what I needed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I didn't for Berducedo, and rhe albergue here is less than half full. I'd also suggest looking at the new albergue at Colina de Arriba (ypu can reserve on their website) - it's a few km from Borres on the Pola route, but there's a route from there to the Hospitales (about a km of steep ascent) that makes rhe day only 21km to Berducedo.
Staying in that albergue was probably the smartest thing I did in April.

There is a water fountain by the church in Lago, 5 KM after Montefurado. So, not as far as Berducedo, a bit better.

Unless you stay in Samblismo, which is the last place before the Hospitales, there is vending machine in Borres (good for those starting out further back from Campiello).

So from Borres to Lago will be 21 KM.

You’ll know from walking the previous 3-4 days how you consume water in this Camino, as weather, elevation etc will make it probably different than what you’re used to.

For this stage I topped up my bladder so had 2L (usually I only partly fill it), plus a 500ml lifestraw bottle.

I walked in October and although it started off a cool morning, by the time I reached Montefurado it was proper hot. I had to start thinking of rationing my bladder, and reached Lago just when I was down to the last drops of the bladder but with the 500ml bottle still largely intact - I drank from it when having lunch.

FYI, the man who lives in Montefurado doesn’t like pilgrims using his external tap, even when they ask for permission they will get denied and with strong words. I think it’s such a shame, he will be very popular if he installed a vending machine there! Or a food truck in Puerto del Palo.
I’m sure the original poster has probably already done this stage by now, but for future pilgrims who may read this: I just hiked the Hospitales a few days ago and the tap at Lago is not functioning…in fact there is no tap, it’s completely missing (despite “AGUA” still being written in big letters on the road). This was a disappointing discovery.

In case you’re interested in more of my experience: I ended up walking with someone I met along the way that day and she only brought 1 liter (which is normal for her on other days). She topped up at the fountain that is a few km away from Borres but she ran out shortly after Puerto de Palo with still nearly 10km to Berducedo. I brought a bit over 2 liters and had a fair amount left so I shared a little with her to make it to Berducedo (along with my remaining few bell pepper slices when faced with no fountain at Lago, which were a welcomed, watery snack)…and we were both fine: thirsty but not dehydrated. We regretted not taking a slight detour from Puerte de Palo to go a bit down the other route towards Pola de Allande to top up on water where there is a fountain (at least marked on my map; I can’t speak to its functioning).

For us it was not a hot and sweaty day as the temperatures were cooler, but we were in constant sun and WIND all day and both can dehydrate you. And we were there on a “less windy” day by comparison. You need more water than during a normal 20km stretch not only because you can’t refill but also because your body loses more.

Thanks LoWo - I am the original poster - planning for the 16th weather permitting - very useful. Buen Camino .

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks LoWo - I am the original poster - planning for the 16th weather permitting - very useful. Buen Camino .
Oh good! I hope it’s a good day for you to do it, walking along the ridges was stunning.

If you’re still contemplating accommodations the night before, Samblismo Albergue is where I stayed and it’s quite nice: very tasty food with nice relaxing areas outside (though admittedly a little cramped inside). I also heard good things about the new Albergue Hospitales which is a little further down the path toward Pola de Allande. Between the official split and La Mortera there are lots of “shorcuts” between the 2 routes, so neither place will shoe-horn you into the Pola de Allande route. And the bar/restaurant in Borres is a good stop whether or not you stay there!

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.