• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much water should I carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaminoFrances2017

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Many posts indicate that pilgrims should carry "plenty of water".

Are there sections of the trail that will require carrying more water than others, either because there are fewer places to refill or because walking is particularly strenuous?

Are you able to make a recommendation in litres?

Thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Are you able to make a recommendation in litres?
Somewhere between 0.5 and 2.0 litres, depending on weather, the particular stage, your metabolism, and your views on hydration.

Which camino are you thinking of, and what time of year? Each morning, look at the weather and at the route ahead to see if there are towns, and decide what you'll need. Maybe keep an emergency bottle of 0.5 L in the bottom of your pack. The longest stretch with no facilities is 17 km, after Carrion de los Condes.

How much water would you carry on a training walk of, say 10 km? You will very rarely need to walk further than that without finding a source.

I happily carry just 0.5 litres most of the time for late fall and early spring on the Camino Frances, but many people would be aghast at this small quantity.

On the CF I usually carry 1 (sometimes 2 ) small bottles o.5l as there are plenty of places where you can replenish.
On the VdlP I carried 3l and that was not enough at times...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Somewhere between 0.5 and 2.0 litres, depending on weather, the particular stage, your metabolism, and your views on hydration.

Which camino are you thinking of, and what time of year? Each morning, look at the weather and at the route ahead to see if there are towns, and decide what you'll need. Maybe keep an emergency bottle of 0.5 L in the bottom of your pack. The longest stretch with no facilities is 17 km, after Carrion de los Condes.

How much water would you carry on a training walk of, say 10 km? You will very rarely need to walk further than that without finding a source.

I happily carry just 0.5 litres most of the time for late fall and early spring on the Camino Frances, but many people would be aghast at this small quantity.

At home I carry 1.5 litres for 10 km but I've never walked over anything like the Pyrenees!

You can refill your water bottles three times going between SJPDP and Roncesvalles on the Route Napoleon - at Hunto (5km from SJPDP), Orisson (8km from SJPDP) and at the fountain near the border with Spain, which is about another 8km from Orisson. It has always been running when I've been there - maybe other members could perhaps confirm that.

On the Camino Francés I find is sufficient to carry two 600ml bottles and to keep refilling them - all except for one stage on the meseta after Carrion de los Condes when I keep an extra 600ml bottle in my pack. You may drink more than me so need more.

The issue is not really how much to carry, but how often you can refill. If you go to this Godesalco website and use the planner you will see that only a couple of villages are more than 10km apart.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At home I carry 1.5 litres for 10 km but I've never walked over anything like the Pyrenees!
Kanga gives the information about the Napoleon route, where the steepest/hardest section is before Orisson, where you can get a refill, at least as long as the refuge is open. You haven't said when you are walking, which makes a huge difference, as does the weather of the day.

I normally go for a 15 km walk on easy suburban terrain in coolish weather, with no water. On a hot day I would probably take up to 500 mL. I guess that illustrates how we are all different. But there are only a few sections in 800 km where you can't refill at least every 10 km during most of the year.

On the Camino Frances last September, I took a two litre bladder. It was unseasonally hot and for the first week I often drank the lot and needed to fill up. Sometimes I could have filled up before I did, other times it was difficult. Brierlys book shows the drinking fontes on the maps so you can see where you can fill up. It's always possible to buy a small bottle of water for any sections were you will need additional capacity for a day or two (check the maps).
It really depends on the weather, and you haven't said when you're walking.

I would recommend carrying at least one litre, and filling up at every opportunity, if you know how far to the next fonte.
If you dont know or it's too far (>10k) then 2 litres.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This part is NOT about the Camino, but about trekking in general. My wife and I trek on foot, and by bicycle, mostly in the Southern/Central California climate. Unless we know the trek will be very short, we both carry two 800-ml stainless water bottles.

That is 1.6 liters, or almost 1.7 quarts. So far (knock on wood) we've never come up short, though there have been times when I -- a free-sweating fellow -- had to "borrow" a sip or two from my wife.

This part IS about the Camino. We plan to carry the same amount on the CF in 2019, and we'll be walking in the late September - early November time frame. If we need more (unlikely), we can purchase disposable water bottles along the way.

This part is NOT about the Camino, but about trekking in general. My wife and I trek on foot, and by bicycle, mostly in the Southern/Central California climate. Unless we know the trek will be very short, we both carry two 800-ml stainless water bottles.

That is 1.6 liters, or almost 1.7 quarts. So far (knock on wood) we've never come up short, though there have been times when I -- a free-sweating fellow -- had to "borrow" a sip or two from my wife.

This part IS about the Camino. We plan to carry the same amount on the CF in 2019, and we'll be walking in the late September - early November time frame. If we need more (unlikely), we can purchase disposable water bottles along the way.
Are you also planning on carrying the (heavy) stainless steel bottles?

Nothing [ well almost ] is worse than going thirsty , carry as much as can comfortably and take the good advice above .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On the CF I rarely carried any as their were numerous places to rehydrate. The exception was the first day crossing the Pyrenees where I took a small bottle - but never used it. I would suggest it's better to see whether it's going to be a hot day or not before making decision about how much water to carry. Of course everyone is different but for me weight is everything. Have a great Camino.

I just pick up two plastic disposable 500ml approx bottles in the airport on the way and use those if they wear out I just replace. I keep them in the cargo mets at the aide of the bag and before you ask yea I do stop to take a swig from them. Gives a minute or two if a break into the bargain to appreciate whTs around. If I'm walking with a group they will usually oblige removing the bottle from the cargo net negating the need to stop. If you run out don't worry just ask a fellow peregrino for some. I would gladly share my water with anyone who asked.

Last April's trip I opted for just purchasing two .5L waters at the Super Mercado across the river from the Burgos cathedral. One of the cheap brands came in a plastic bottle that looked like beautiful cut crystal. Of course I had to buy those! 1L I found to be sufficient in the rain on the meseta.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last April's trip I opted for just purchasing two .5L waters at the Super Mercado across the river from the Burgos cathedral. One of the cheap brands came in a plastic bottle that looked like beautiful cut crystal. Of course I had to buy those! 1L I found to be sufficient in the rain on the meseta.
That's exactly how I've done it every time I walked the Camino and it worked fine for me.
I buy two 1/2 liters of water or soda in SJPdP and use those same two bottles all the way to Santiago. Unless one of the cracks on me, or I lose the bottle cap or something, they work great and are way more durable than they look and I never had a problem with one leaking. I prefer the soda bottles because they are thicker and sturdier.
If it is unseasonably warm, or for one of the long stretches where there are less fountains, etc I would say buy a third bottle of water to supplement if needed. Otherwise, two was all I needed.
I'd rather not bring water bottles with me from home because they are just going to take up more room in my backpack, which I carry-on for the flight. Besides, the cheap soda or water bottles do just as good a job and you can throw them in a recycle bin at the end.
I would never bring a metal one. Unnecessary weight.

The advantage of using the FREE .5 liter plastic bottles that come already filled with mineral or spring water when you buy them is that:

1. They can be reused all the way to Santiago, or until something along the way renders them no longer viable.

2. You simply recycle them properly, then replace them with newer versions. Again they conveniently come already filled with safe, potable water.

3. The empty plastic bottle weighs only a few grams, compared to several hundred grams for the typical aluminum or heavy plastic bottle. Carrying this incremental weight for several hundred km does add up.

I hope this helps.

Are you also planning on carrying the (heavy) stainless steel bottles?
According to my digital postal scale, our 800-ml stainless bottles weigh 5.63 ounces (159.6 grams) each. As a matter of long-standing principle I always carry at least one metal bottle on our treks. That will include the CF. My wife may decide likewise; that's up to her. The other two (or more) we carry will likely be disposables.

BTW, a disposable 700-ml water bottle - the only size I have handy - weighs 0.89 ounces (25.2 grams). This suggests that, for an apples-to-apples comparison, a disposable 800-ml bottle may weigh about 1.2 ounces (34 grams).

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Everyone is different! My roommate is super hydrated, everytime she drinks something, she has to relieve the same amount almost immediately.
She takes 1 small 500ml bottle and never drinks from it. I on the other hand take 2 600ml bottles and a foldable (collapsable) 750ml bottle and it often isn't enough.

I did switch from bladder to side bottles, because it is much easier to reload a bottle at the convenient water fountains, than unpack your bag and refill your bladder.

Just to reiterate what you said: A lot of that also depends on the time of the year: When the weather is cooler, you don't need as much water. I did a training hike of 10 km just the other day and the temp was hovering around 0C and I didn't even take water with me. However, if the temp was say, in the 20C or so, my need would have been much greater and I would not have left the house without at least 1.5 liters. (and I know where the potable springs are around here)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Everyone is different. Once you have some experience you may learn to judge how much you will need, but my advice is DO NOT assume you will be able to refill when you need to, and DO carry extra water if you have any doubt. Dehydration can kill.

Last year, on September 7, on the descent into Larrasoana, we saw many pilgrims who were in serious trouble from dehydration and at least two were later hospitalized. We carried two liters each and needed every drop.

I did switch from bladder to side bottles, because it is much easier to reload a bottle at the convenient water fountains, than unpack your bag and refill your bladder.
If I'm expecting to use a lot of water I'll use an Osprey pack which has an external bladder pocket. A lot less of a pain in the rump to refill... but still a bit of a pain! Otherwise I go for the Nalgene (my iPad just tried to autocorrect that to "anal gene") bottle in a side pocket.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I always carry more water than I think I need so I can give some to people who run out, and this happens often in summer. I have even happily given ALL my water away to someone who really needed it, knowing I can get by until the next source. I don't think these people who run out of water are parasites, one or two may have been fools, most had just miscalculated their needs on that stretch/that day. I've done it myself (miscalculated) too. We learn from our mistakes. Ive shared my medical supplies, warm clothing, dry socks and even lent my sleeping bag and my staff out on more than a few occasions too. And when I am short/stuck I have been helped out too. Labeling them all parasites is a bit harsh.

Davey

You can refill your water bottles three times going between SJPDP and Roncesvalles on the Route Napoleon - at Hunto (5km from SJPDP), Orisson (8km from SJPDP) and at the fountain near the border with Spain, which is about another 8km from Orisson. It has always been running when I've been there - maybe other members could perhaps confirm that.

On the Camino Francés I find is sufficient to carry two 600ml bottles and to keep refilling them - all except for one stage on the meseta after Carrion de los Condes when I keep an extra 600ml bottle in my pack. You may drink more than me so need more.

The issue is not really how much to carry, but how often you can refill. If you go to this Godesalco website and use the planner you will see that only a couple of villages are more than 10km apart.

When I did the meseta last year their was an enterprising chap who had set up a van (very reasonable prices as well) about half way. I did take a can of coke with my packed lunch with me that day so he was much appreciated :)

Or self preservation. . . . I gave away water and then ran out myself. :( I can understand why people might not want to give water away.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Refusing water to a thirsty fellow Human must be the height of selfishness .
I don't think so. I rather think it is expecting someone else to carry something you need so that you don't have to, and then expecting it to be graciously shared. There is a world of difference between being prepared to share, and expecting others to be prepared to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of all the cargo a walker carries ; especially a novice walker , the amount of water needed is the most likely to be underestimated, especially if varied terrain and conditions are to be encountered . It is often the first to be reduced to save weight and is also the resource that is needed in the most varied of quantities , as is evidenced by the personal estimates of usage by other posters . The rationing of personal water supplies is something many are not used to or have never actually had to do . Not surprisingly not all prospective pilgrims have measured their bodily inputs and output in such infinitesimal detail as you appear to have done .

To regard walkers who run short of water as lazy and accuse them of expecting others to carry their needs is a harsh generalisation , people make mistakes , to arrogantly suggest that all mistakes are in fact planned attempts to reduce personal exertion is something I find objectionable .
I am sometimes critical of walkers who are purposely under resourced but I would not resort to calling them parasitic . What of this famous ' Camino Fraternity ' and the willingness to share ?
Feel free to walk your own Camino with as much water as you please, as will I . If I see a brother or sister thirsting [ or indeed any other of God's creatures ] I will not hesitate to share what I have , even at the expense of my own needs .

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would not refuse water to someone in genuine need and that is not what @dougfitz has suggested. I have gladly shared water, food and other supplies with others many times. I will gratefully accept water freely offered when I am thirsty. But I will endure a great deal of thirst and discomfort short of actual physical harm before I would approach a fellow walker on the Camino and ask them to give me their water. If I have been foolish enough to place myself in such a position then I expect to bear the consequences of my actions: I do not feel justified in placing others at risk of sharing my misfortune.

I think this thread has just about run its course. I have had to edit several posts. It is a pity when different views, often equally valid, deteriorate into personal attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back