• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how much water?

Mycroft

Veteran Member
I've read different comments from folks who say they carry only a liter of water and others saying they ran out of water. On the coastal route out of Porto, including the Variante, how much water is best to carry, and where do people refill their water bottles along the way?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I carried a canteen like water bottle that holds probably about a liter of water. Refills at fountains and restaurants.

We bought bottled water along the way, the 1.5L ones that sell for 37c in Froiz. We had also a refillable bottle which I washed and refilled in the hotel bathroom daily for washing fruits. But I was never well well hydrated as I feared to need a bathroom more than I feared thirst.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There did seem to be fewer fountains on the CP vs. the CF. I never ran out, but I carried a bladder in my pack. I usually carried 1.5 liters and drank often from any water source I found.

Buen Camino

My main water source was a litre of water and I found that there were enough restaurants/bars to refill so I never had a problem. I did have a back-up of less than 1/2 of a litre and I don't recall having to use that.

I just finished and carried 2 500cc bottles and plenty of places to refill along the way. The 1st thing I do in the morning is drink a liter of water to hydrate. Plenty of time before walking for some to already run thru you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My main water source was a litre of water and I found that there were enough restaurants/bars to refill so I never had a problem. I did have a back-up of less than 1/2 of a litre and I don't recall having to use that.
Andrea, did you simply walk into a bar and ask for water?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello fellow pilgrim,

I did take 2 500ml bottles with me. In the Meseta I carried a 750ml bottle extra in my backpack, just in case. But never need it.
Even on a real hot day between Punta de la Reina and Los Arcos (36°C, 42km) I did not run out of water. And the last 17km of that walk were no shadow and no fountain available.

Buen Camino!
Roland

Andrea, did you simply walk into a bar and ask for water?
HI Mycroft,
I would never ask for water without expecting to pay for something. I would fill up my water bottle in the bathroom and give a couple of euros or buy a coffee and fill up my water bottle before leaving or I would buy bottled water.
Andrea

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back