• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how much weight did you lose on your Camino?

ffp13

Addicted pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Caminos: 2009 SJPP, 2011 Roncessvalle , 2012 Pamploma, 2013 Roncessvalle, 2013 Porto, 2014 Burgos, 2014 Porto

Future: Roncessvalle
I lost 13Kg on The Way and it was not my backpack, however it was about the same weight, I also lost one small toenail (weight insignificant), Unfortunately I found it again (not the toenail), maybe I should do the camino more often?
After carrying my pack for 1 month I came to appreciate how much 13 KG really is and how much differnce one or two Kg less can make, I hope to loose it again on my next camino? and hopefully some before I start.

In reality though, the camino is not about loosing something, it about what you find:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After my first Camino I lost my trousers. :oops:

I was getting ready for work on my first day back after the Camino and put on my suit trousers.

They prompltly fell round my ankles. Fortunately I had a belt in the drawer and for the first time in years I was down to under a 34 inch waist.

Sadly some of it has gone back on, but not all of it.

An excuse to go on the Camino again. :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Unbelievably, I have done 4 pilgrim routes of 800km each more or less, averaged 20 to 22 km per day, walking every day and lost around 1 to 2 kg each time only, I could not believe it really. Of course there is the muscle replacing fat thing.....even though...the guys seem to loose their beer guts more quickly it seems, Gitti

I lost too much weight. By the time I got to Rabanal, every time I undid the hip belt of my backpack my shorts would fall down around my ankles. My pack was too heavy. Even after sending 2.5Kg (from Sto Domingo de la Calzada) on to Santiago it still weighed 13Kg - I do not recommend it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I confess we had hoped that the Camino might reduce our physical presence while increasing our spiritual one.....and by the time we were crossing the Meseta Frances' trousers were falling off her. But though we ate the same food (type and amount) I didn't loose a pound I know this because I leaped onto a scales as soon as I got a chance in Santiago :evil:.
There was however an obvious and peculiar 'redistribution of my weight. In the first week I Iost a bra size and my trousers got tight then after three weeks my trousers got loose but my feet swelled up. It seemed as if I was literally being 'shaken down' perhaps if I'd turned around at Santiago and just kept walking it would have disappeared :?
Though I was exactly the same weight my husband said I had changed shape and had better tone (he's a loss to the diplomatic corp).

I walked 3 weeks last year, and lost about 3 pounds and a dress size in the process. What surprised me though was that I continued to lose weight, another 7 pounds, in the 3 weeks after I returned home.

Kitsambler said:
I walked 3 weeks last year, and lost about 3 pounds and a dress size in the process. What surprised me though was that I continued to lose weight, another 7 pounds, in the 3 weeks after I returned home.

Metabolism is probably still elevated. I had the same thing for two or three weeks, then it started to pile on again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lose It! is a free computer application that lets you track the ups and downs in weight. It offers an iPhone application, too. Exercise can be entered so that you track your nutritional deficit each day.

If weight loss is a primary consideration on the Camino, I suggest that you watch out for "hitting the wall." If you eat too little, you will find that one day, often about 10 days into the walk, you can barely lift your feet. I have heard many pilgrims admit that they let their protein intake fall off too much, and had more energy if they ate tuna, eggs, sardines, etc. for breakfast and morning snacks. The miraculous tortilla Francesa can always help the protein deficit, breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

I can usually count on about 10kg per Camino. It stays off for about 3 months, and then comes back again, bit by bit, as I am a cubicle dweller in off-Camino seasons.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I lost three pounds and at least one clothing size (had to buy new hiking pants as it became almost indecent)....but then I ate at least a pound of superb cheese, numerous fruits, several solo grande con crema, and a bottle of wine (sometimes two) per day and enjoyed every bite, sip and slurp! One delight of walking the Camino was that I did not have to be concerned about what I was eating. I could enjoy it all!

Lost 22 lbs, but increased my biceps and forearms in both muscle and strength.

Most on the Forum know the story...finished last 400 km on crutches.

Have managed to keep the weight off...except on Holidays I hit the vinotinto and fine single malt hard. Lent perfect time to lose it again by giving up all alcohol.

Buen "gotta use it ...to lose it" Camino

Arn

Attachments

• IMGP0492.JPG
    IMGP0492.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7,584
Oh, I can't wait to get started on mine! But it's another couple of years ahead, though! :roll:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I lost around 20 lbs, but have gained it back since then (2007). I'm in solidarity with those who'd like to go back on the Way to re-shed their chunk... :oops: Man, one of my favorite things about the Camino was being able to eat/drink whatever I wanted and not pad my gut as a result...sigh. :arrow:

VT

I walked Leon to Santiago last June and gained 1 kilo in 2 weeks. Often the food was not even very good....although when I really think back, the vino tinto, cafe con leche, chocolate, and orange juice were always superb. All I can say is thank heavens I walked :!:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Abbeydore said:
I hope to loose some before I go & a bit more on the way, so I can get back to my 'fighting' weight,
so a Stone to go :)
Unfortunately, it takes about 3 months before you put it all on again!

jennysa said:
Abbeydore said:
I hope to loose some before I go & a bit more on the way, so I can get back to my 'fighting' weight,
so a Stone to go :)
Unfortunately, it takes about 3 months before you put it all on again!

Please Please, NO No!
I've done well so far, in 6months haven't put the 2 stone back on but have not been able to loose anymore. Guess I'm eating too much still :roll:

The Caminho Portuguese started in Porto and ended in Santiago. Oh, I left out a few words in the foregoing sentence: with a big dinner and vinotinto...with an even bigger lunch and green firewater...

On the CP, although relatively short at 240km, I lost about 6 lbs total. Most weight loss due to reduced intake of alcohol...at least during active walking.

I'm now finishing up a week in Malaga. The room has a full kitchen so I've been very good to myself.

Buen "lose some, gain some" Camino,
Arn

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
i lost 5kilos going through customs
....frikken sniffer dogs

Mucho LOL...I missed this one. I love it!
Thanks whoever resurrected it.
Tam, will you marry me?

(Even if I didn't lose a single pound?)
Nevermind: check out my Halloween message... :twisted:

This thread is a bit old, however, I lost 10kg by Burgos. I decided I would carry at least 10kg minimum in my pack. My friends had what I called a pussy pack and sent gear on each day. They didn't lose much. They wished they carried more now :) lol, too late.
I also gained a lot of muscle which slowed the scales down.
All up, 12kg loss, noticed mainly of my face, gut and butt.
My legs are trim and muscular.
Now I look and feel so much better, I will be keeping this going.
Camino now done, on to the next adventure.
Is this a lesson of the camino, cut corners and only YOU lose. Or in this case, you don't lose.

I was hoping to loose weight on the Camino but did not loose weight by the scales. I did loose some though of my hips and did put on muscle. Unfortunately the vino was too cheep and it was lovely to have after a hard day. If you want to loose, stay off the vino. I only walked 426.6 km though as I tore a ligament on Day three - Zubiri (I did not know about the tear at the time).We had to bus some of the mountain sections.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So many variations in these posts. I don't lose much, but then I eat with a bit less caution while walking, often carrying a bar of chocolate. I walk very slowly so that may be why. I have, however, put on 4 kilos in the past two weeks which I intend to lose before setting off this year.

This thread is a bit old, however, I lost 10kg by Burgos. I decided I would carry at least 10kg minimum in my pack.
All up, 12kg loss, noticed mainly of my face, gut and butt.

Is this a lesson of the camino, cut corners and only YOU lose. Or in this case, you don't lose.

Well done Max44! Good work. My husband also lost 10kgs on the camino and I know how much it meant to him. Which is why I am congratulating you.

Don't forget that if you are eating lots of high salt foods some of that weight loss after the trip is over is probably water weight. That may explain some "odd" fluctuations people experience.
Stefania

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My experience as a man is that while walking I loose about 1 kg a week ( I always visualize that as loosing the weight of half a packet if butter per day, straight from my belly :D). For my wife it is different, she doesn't seem to loose weight.
After having asked other people's experience, I realise their might be a more general difference between man and woman. Men seem to loose more weight then woman, quit a few woman don't loose any weight.
I'm curious if more people experience this.

I would think that even if there is no loss of weight, there is a redistribution where fat is lost but muscle is gained. I cannot see absolutely change if one is actually walking the Camino. Also something to keep in mind, not eating enough (healthy) food can cause your body to hold tighter to fat (especially for women).

There seems to be an awful lot of discussion on the amount of weight lost or not. Surely it depends on so many factors that most have failed to mention. Such ones age, start weight, walking speed or effort put in. My own Camino in 2013 was 2,400 km or 1.400 miles and at the age of 70 I lost over 14% of my original weight of 189 pounds carrying 15 kg pack. I ate and drank very very well over the course of the 82 days but I also believe it would have been easy not to lose any weight at all. Just simply by taking my time, take your foot off the throttle and the fuel lasts longer you travel further. Whatever it is, it is not rocket science.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Whatever it is, it is not rocket science.

Are you sure about that?

The reason I ask is that we have been to the Moon, put all sorts of different utility satellites up and more than a couple of planetary and deep space probes... and the Hubble.
Meanwhile, back on the planet, there seems to be no end to discussion of weight normalization and no satisfactory, universal solution yet writ large. Seems to me that "rocket science" is easy by comparison...;)

But, as to the OP question... lost 13 lbs of the 168 that I started with despite eating at every opportunity. It took me 6 months to get it back.

B

On average women are lighter and usually in better shape then men of the same age. It's not strange they lose less weight.

Weight isn't that important really. Salt in take has been mentioned. But carbs also vary your water retention. So changes in diet can make your weight bounce all over the palace without dropping any fat.

That's why body fat is more important then simply weight. Also how you store your weight matters. Belly fat bad. Other locations less so.

Six kilos off! Clothes loose, happy and ready to try on all that stuff that was way too tight before the walk. I've decided that I am going to stay off of bread / pasta/ rice carbs, along with sugar (as in chocolate and candy) so I can continue to enjoy losing more. Wish me luck; I love to eat.

Six kilos off! Clothes loose, happy and ready to try on all that stuff that was way too tight before the walk. I've decided that I am going to stay off of bread / pasta/ rice carbs, along with sugar (as in chocolate and candy) so I can continue to enjoy losing more. Wish me luck; I love to eat.

6kg too. Have managed to keep it off for a year, not easy, but I'm delighted.

Lost my backpack weight. 8,5 kg in 4 weeks. After 6 month same weight. Happy!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back