• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much weight did you lose?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I lost 8 kilo ( needed) in the year prior to the Camino with training (hiking 55 km a week)

Lost another 8 + on the Camino

Despite coming back to a dark wet winter and not hiking for 6 months, I have not put any weight on! (Much enjoyed. Found box of skinny pants that are loose)
Probably, in part, due to the commitment to healthy eating that arose during my walk as an answer to self care

I like this.

I should not lose weight...
so I have to think what I can eat while walking (snacks, crackers, ...)...
breakfast, lunch and dinner will probably not be enough for me not to lose weight.

I lost none.

You with keep weight on needs. There's plenty of chocolate to be eaten along the way. Even a chocolate museum in Astorga.
Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I lost none.

You with keep weight on needs. There's plenty of chocolate to be eaten along the way. Even a chocolate museum in Astorga.
Buen camino.
Ahhh, the chocolate is SO GOOD! Honestly, my camino friend and I started a tradition...We would be walking along in the mid afternoon, and one of us would say to the other, "What time is it?"

And the other would answer, "It's chocolate o'clock!".

Then, we'd break out one of those big chocolate bars and totally demolish it. Often, some nice gentleman would be passing by, and we would offer him some candy :) Or even a nice lady! We always shared.

One time, when a donkey fell off the stepping stone bridge and its owner hit his head, his shin, and all were unhappy (parents of owner, who had another donkey were there too, with the other donkey), my walking partner and I listened to the sad tale, and gave them a huge chocolate bar.

Chocolate is like the fairy dust of the Camino, along with cheese, wine, beer, and smiles.

Hundreds of pounds, just not on a single camino...

Guess when I was walking (and the chart does not include 2005 to 2011):

View attachment 36314
Whoa, a fellow statistics nut! Love the chart I would never be brave enough to do that! We usually loose 10kg over a 6 week walk, but put that back on with intensive pastry sampling in our post walk recovery period in Europe. They only meaningful weight loss I have ever had from the camino was loosing the burden of whatever was worrying me at the time, that weight dropped off never to return.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Whoa, a fellow statistics nut! Love the chart I would never be brave enough to do that! We usually loose 10kg over a 6 week walk, but put that back on with intensive pastry sampling in our post walk recovery period in Europe. They only meaningful weight loss I have ever had from the camino was loosing the burden of whatever was worrying me at the time, that weight dropped off never to return.

Well, let's go, then!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
10% of my body weight on both caminos and that's not because I took off my backpack! Put a couple of kilos on when I got home but otherwise yoo whoo. Probably the cheapest weight loss program I've ever been involved in. :p:p:p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did 10 days Porto to Santiago (got back this day last week) and lost roughly 1.5 kilos.. feels like more though cos I lost fat and gained some muscle. Dropped a dress size anyway cos stuff that wouldn't go near me before fits me now! Gotta be careful not to pile it back on now in this cold weather!

Chocolate is like the fairy dust of the Camino, along with cheese, wine, beer, and smiles.

I tried the chocolate trick too but I must have done something wrong, because when I unpacked my chocolate bar with watering teeth, it was almost liquid…. What a mess.

When walking during the days I wanted to be by myself as much as possible, so I didn’t stop at bars for long lunch breaks. Rather I found a quiet place to take my brought-on supplies. I found out that I can do a good day’s walk (25 km.) on a light breakfast, two bananas, one Coca Cola and 1½ liter of water –and feel good about it.

I tried the chocolate trick too but I must have done something wrong, because when I unpacked my chocolate bar with watering teeth, it was almost liquid…. What a mess.

When walking during the days I wanted to be by myself as much as possible, so I didn’t stop at bars for long lunch breaks. Rather I found a quiet place to take my brought-on supplies. I found out that I can do a good day’s walk (25 km.) on a light breakfast, two bananas, one Coca Cola and 1½ liter of water –and feel good about it.

Great minds think alike. I was just wondering how other people structured their eating.

I was like this:
1. immediate coffee. If toast available, a big slice with butter. Water, water, water.

2. Second breakfast 10 am or so. Croissant or tortilla, or both. Protein was helpful by then, but sometimes I would just be sick of tortilla. If bacon and eggs available, that. Or something like that, and maybe more toast. water, water, water.

3. afternoon: a beer. Perhaps two beers, depending on the complexity or lack thereof of what I was doing, chased by lots of water for the next several kilometers.

4. Arrive at albergue or pension and collapse for ten minutes and wash up a bit. snack--something like a bocadillo or pintxo or something small, with....beer!

5. back to room to wash all clothes, lay out bed, and shower. ahhhhh. Later, food. Not always a menu del dia......

Anecdotal break! One time, I was in El Acebo and got menu del dis with my friend from Austria, a very athletic guy who could also be a bit of a whiner when things didn't go his way. He was very unhappy with his beef, and I was very pleased with my pork, of which I had two generous slices. After two bites of pork, which was delicious, I gave him all of my pork---which was very surprising to him. After walking about 32k that day, I just wasn't into eating that much (on that day). He was having a food problem on a good day!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I didn't eat much during the days -or drink alcohol. Most important was a good breakfast, I am always starving in the mornings.
Next best thing was the snack and (big) beer at the day's destination. My favorit snack was those green chilies (pimientos?) that are roasted with salt. And a big dish of them :)

How much weight did you lose on your Camino walk? I dropped close to 4 kilos (8 lbs.) and returned home close to my “ideal weight”. But I guess the last day’s diving into my homemade stew will change that rapidly :D
I walked from SJPP to Santiago in May/June of this year. I lost 13lbs/5.9kilos actual. Probably lost some water weight daily in the 90+ temps.

7 kg, which I didn't need to lose, and despite existing on generous daily rations of yesterday's bread and increasingly smelly cheese. A vegetarian can't help but lose weight on the Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On the C. Frances from St. Jean in 2013, I gained 5 pounds while others were tightening their belts. What else can happen when one has two or three breakfasts, beer after walking, a big dinner and bottle of wine? No way am I going to miss the joy of Spanish food. I am a small person, but am always working on that last 5 pounds of belly fat. I just don't work hard on that mission in Spain.

Our daily diet:

Breakfast is the meal that varies most, but something like bread and cheese, a piece of fruit, freshly-squeezed juice (or oatmeal from a bag, yoghurt, if we found a shop the night before, and a cup of tea, or hot chocolate...)

Second breakfast when available: Bread and tortilla, or whatever they have in the next bar. Water. Juice, if we couldn't find any in the morning. A banana, if there isn't a bar and we found a shop yesterday.

Lunch: When possible, the three-course lunch of the day (not the pilgrim one, if possible, but the other one). Mountains of salad, meat or fish, dessert. One bottle of wine split by three. Otherwise a picnic, with some kind of meat product, or boiled eggs, or tinned fish, bread, tomato, cheese, water. Biggest meal of the day, and we eat all we're served.

While walking: A couple of handfuls of nuts, or chocolate, or a cereal bar.

In the evening: If someone is cooking in the albergue, offer help and provisions or cash, eat whatever is available. Do the dishes. If there is a bar, some tapas and a glass of wine. If there isn't a bar or shop in the village (like on some of the less popular caminos), soup from a packet, whatever bread and cheese there is left, and the olives in a plastic bag that I have been saving as a surprise to my menfolks.

The heating spiral provides the chance to eat or drink something hot when there aren't kitchen facilities.

Oh, I want to start walking again...

I didn't eat much during the days -or drink alcohol. Most important was a good breakfast, I am always starving in the mornings.
Next best thing was the snack and (big) beer at the day's destination. My favorit snack was those green chilies (pimientos?) that are roasted with salt. And a big dish of them :)

Indeed, Pimentos (Peppers) de Padrón, from the Galician community of Padron! We've like them so much we have learned to make them at home. The peppers are not fattening, but the oil one cooks them in could be. Lots of health benefits from eating peppers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
always some kilos, and sometimes some gear along the way....

At least it is nice to eat what you need to keep warm and energetic, love roasted almonds and red wine and other forbiddens that sweeten the long day !!

Last edited:
How much weight did you lose on your Camino walk? I dropped close to 4 kilos (8 lbs.) and returned home close to my “ideal weight”. But I guess the last day’s diving into my homemade stew will change that rapidly :D
Hahahaha

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
45 Pounds (20.5 kg) and kept all but about 5 of them completely off. Always ate what I wanted and when I wanted, but contrary to most people found myself with very little appetite at the end of each day's walk.

I lost weight, don't know how much, but it came back easily enough when I got home.

Great minds think alike. I was just wondering how other people structured their eating. I was like this:
1. immediate coffee. If toast available, a big slice with butter. Water, water, water.
2. Second breakfast 10 am or so. Croissant or tortilla, or both. Protein was helpful by then, but sometimes I would just be sick of tortilla. If bacon and eggs available, that. Or something like that, and maybe more toast. water, water, water.
3. afternoon: a beer. Perhaps two beers, depending on the complexity or lack thereof of what I was doing, chased by lots of water for the next several kilometers.
4. Arrive at albergue or pension and collapse for ten minutes and wash up a bit. snack--something like a bocadillo or pintxo or something small, with....beer!
Ahh, the great beer diet… beer is a complete food and rehydration system.
OK I admit it, I used to work for the breweries, had to travel the world and visit breweries, was a hard job but someone had to do it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
1st camino, lost 10 lbs.- 400 miles walked
2nd camino, lost 6 lbs.- 400 miles
3rd camino, lost 2 lbs.- 500 miles
4th Camino (2018), lost 2lbs.- 300 miles :(
And no, it wasn't because of the tinto...seriously!

When I returned home and I mentioned what little weight I'd lost, everyone would say I gained muscle and muscle weighs more than fat....I wish that were true, but doubt it!

Last edited:
I lost weight on the Camino. Not sure how much but my clothes feel looser and I feel healthier. Unfortunately, I also broke my foot and ripped some ligaments and can't walk for a while. Still happy that I have walked part of the Camino and hope I can continue walking great trails once my foot is fixed

I dropped 35 pounds (~16 kg) in the year and a half leading up to walking the CF in the Fall of 2015. I dropped another 11 pounds (5 kg) walking the CF. The initial 35 have stayed off, but not the 11 I lost walking. I found those again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Impressive! And I thought 4 kilos was something.... But then I didn't have so much to give away from the start :D

A bit like Bradypus, for the same reasons: I lost 12 kilos in 64 days walking through Belgium and France on my way to Santiago.

Same, 10 kilos walking the VF through France - probably more as when I weighed myself in Germany weeks later I had been eating double rations and must have put some weight back on (thankfully!).
None on the Spanish caminos...

Five weeks of walking the Norte plus 7 days off along the way. I ate and drank everything I wanted and still lost 4.5 kilos (10 lbs).

I don't believe I lost any weight. I also stayed away from the Pilgrims Menu and ate, as often as possible, with locals at local bars and restaurants. The flavors of Spain are wonderful and varied, I tried as many as possible :)

I weigh 65 kilos. In 2016 I lost 6 kilos Le Puy to StJean then in 2017 I lost 8 kilos Bayonne to Santiago via Del Norte - Primitivo - Frances. Never felt better in looser fitting clothes.

I weigh 65 kilos. In 2016 I lost 6 kilos Le Puy to StJean then in 2017 I lost 8 kilos Bayonne to Santiago via Del Norte - Primitivo - Frances. Never felt better in looser fitting clothes.

I like loose fitting clothes too - but watch out for "shorts-dropping" :D

I won't say how much weight Peg lost but she did lose her shorts. After walking most of the CF she was just standing in an albergue one morning when her walking shorts dropped to the floor. And they were tight when she started.

I dropped 35 pounds (~16 kg) in the year and a half leading up to walking the CF in the Fall of 2015. I dropped another 11 pounds (5 kg) walking the CF. The initial 35 have stayed off, but not the 11 I lost walking. I found those again.

Back from the Camino; I mentioned to my oldest son that I had lost weight. He replied: "don't worry Dad, you'll find it. It's in a pub someplace"

I am up to Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos and have lost nothing. In fact, I think all that bread and cheese has made me put on weight.

Have just arrived home; actually lost 2 kms and I was only 59 kms to start with.

Last edited:
I lost 9 lbs before starting the hike so I could eat and drink whatever I wanted to while on the Camino. When I got back home, I realized I had gained all of it back +4 pounds. I don't feel I was pigging out but I guess the scale says something else.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Between 2015 and now I have dropped 21 lbs either walking or preparing for the Camino! Last one from Leon to Santiago lost 5 lbs and managed to keep it all off. Hope to lose another 10lbs befor camino in February...

12kgs over 40 days and just under 1000kms from Lourdes to SdC exactly a year ago... But it is all back on again now... :-(

I was so pleased to have lost 15 lbs. 1" off each thigh, and hips, waist and bust. Used my poles every day and lost 1/ 2" off each arm. Passed on bread 90% of the time. Never passed up a Zuma DE Naranja or cafe con leche! Only need to do the Camino Frances 2 more times to hit my target weight. Eyeballing the Coast to Coast in England next spring if my health continues to improve. Came down with Guillain-Barre Syndrome upon returning home from our Camino in June!

I put on 3 kgs in 35 days!! I exercise a lot at home but am very careful with what I eat - however all the beer and tortilla caught up with me - apparently walking 25kms per day does not make up for eating and drinking too much :-(

10 lbs on both my caminos. Walking definitely ramps up my metabolism!!!

I lost 10 lbs last year, walking from SJPP to Burgos. I walked the first 10 days in 90+ degrees Fahrenheit heat. It was brutal. I'm actually surprised I didn't lose more:)
I'm planning to walk that far for my 1st part, and hope to loose around the same.
10 lbs on both my caminos. Walking definitely ramps up my metabolism!!!

Folks, this is so funny! I have skimmed the thread, as I had forgotten totally about it, and have seen a few accounts of what was lost but found its way back on again! I will not bore you with my fight with said beast, but the other day I was perched on a bit of a wall waiting for some people, and I was reading a book I had just bought: The Fast Diet. Never mind why, I just bought it. Anyway a taxi driver was passing and rolled down his window and called over: Don’t believe it! There is no fast diet! A conversation about many things ensued until my people arrived. If only I did not have the struggle with avoirdupois. Let’s see what next week’s walking retreat does for me! And hey! So what? I have eyes and ears and feet and legs and hands...thankfully, and all of you who lose it, well done!

€83,-

Where is the How much weight did you gain-thread?? :0(

When you stop for pastry and coffee every other km........ :'O(

/Bad Pilgrim

First Camino (2001) I lost 23lbs. More importantly I lost 3 inches off my waist (just measured the belt which, nowadays, doesn't even meet around my middle) but I was 50 and it's easier to loose when you're "young".

As for shorts falling down just take in the waist band at the rear - a dart on each side of the middle should suffice and, if you put weight on, when you get home you can just unpick the stitches (voice of experience).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great minds think alike. I was just wondering how other people structured their eating.

I was like this:

5. back to room to wash all clothes, lay out bed, and shower. ahhhhh. Later, food. Not always a menu del dia......

Anecdotal break! One time, I was in El Acebo and got menu del dis with my friend from Austria, a very athletic guy who could also be a bit of a whiner when things didn't go his way. He was very unhappy with his beef, and I was very pleased with my pork, of which I had two generous slices. After two bites of pork, which was delicious, I gave him all of my pork---which was very surprising to him. After walking about 32k that day, I just wasn't into eating that much (on that day). He was having a food problem on a good day!
Those Austrians......

I ate like a horse, second hobbit breakfast, sometimes two pilgrim menus a day. I lost 3kg but more impressive lost 3 inches from my waistline. I had to buy new shorts and I got back to the size I was ten years ago.
Slowly regained the weight so I am hoping that the Cf next month will be as effective.

I am already very small (54kg), and lost 2kg on my CF.
On CP my weight didnt change, but I ate like an orc. Like a HUGE orc.

I am already very small (54kg), and lost 2kg on my CF.
On CP my weight didnt change, but I ate like an orc. Like a HUGE orc.
so, how did you escape from Arda?
sorry, I forgot I was not on another thread...

so, how did you escape from Arda?
sorry, I forgot I was not on another thread...

Yup, the this is the forum about the pilgrimage walk, not the camino to destroy rings ;)

More than the weight changes (or not), I actually felt much more differences in my gait, muscles and breathing in both caminos. I try to keep a routine of walking at home. Not the same thing, but don´t wanna lose the achieved fitness :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My husband and I put on 2kg each. But I felt a great improvement in my posture and back pain!

A slight deflection from the original topic.

Having nothing better to do at the moment I’ve set myself the objective of shedding as much personal mass as would equal my typical Camino rucksack - nine kilos would do it comfortably, but I’m ‘aiming off’ and going for 15.

It wouldn’t take a phd in physiology to deduce that I’m carrying a bit of excess to start with.

Anyway; three weeks in and I’m down a little more than 5kg, and feeling rather pleased. Half my rucksack would have disappeared if I were able to walk now.

To return to the original post - my camino diet of Torreznos and Rioja - and especially ‘Spanish quantities’ of bread - usually results in a fractional weight-gain on a full Camino.

Never lost any weight on any Camino in Spain .
IF you want to lose weight, I’d recommend the Via Francigena from Canterbury. 😉 i am planning on walking it again because a) it is deserted and b) you are bound to lose weight as there’s nowhere to eat out or get food easily😁 Double whammy! 😉

Never lost any weight on any Camino in Spain .
IF you want to lose weight, I’d recommend the Via Francigena from Canterbury. 😉 i am planning on walking it again because a) it is deserted and b) you are bound to lose weight as there’s nowhere to eat out or get food easily😁 Double whammy! 😉
Interesting you should say that @domigee. I just now finished watching a few of Efren Gonzales' youtube videos tonight of his walk on the Via Francigena. Everything you are saying he has experienced exactly as you say...quite a coincidence! It is often deserted, sometimes long stages as nowhere to stay, and often he's short on food as restaurants are not open.

About 20 kg before I started, 2kg from my pack, I sent a CPAP ahead, and maybe 30 kg from my head.

Interesting you should say that @domigee. I just now finished watching a few of Efren Gonzales' youtube videos tonight of his walk on the Via Francigena. Everything you are saying he has experienced exactly as you say...quite a coincidence! It is often deserted, sometimes long stages as nowhere to stay, and often he's short on food as restaurants are not open.
I’ll have to watch those videos 👍

Ahhh, the chocolate is SO GOOD!

Often, some nice gentleman would be passing by, and we would offer him some candy :) Or even a nice lady! We always shared.

Hmmm, you are very friendly. Did you take turns being the "nice lady" or was it a case of all-in? 😍

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back