• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How my decision was made to walk the CF ...

sugargypsy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
Planning: CP / CF or CdN 2022
My decision to walk the CF is still quite young, only about two or three weeks old. Prep time will be short, my phyiscal condition s'not good - but nevertheless I will start at the end of August at SJPDP to SDC, then Finisterre & Muxia. God willing, that I'll remain healthy till then and on the way and myself doing everything as well to stay healthy.

First time I ever thought about walking the Camino was last year, when I met Edith in hospital. We shared a room, we both had leg fractures. We only shared the room for about three or four days. She'd been back from the CF some months ago. I've heard about it before of course, but was never really intrested in. But when Edith told me story after story about the Camino I got interested. The most fascinating though was the way she changed when talking about the Camino. There was a glow on her, her eyes sparkled, her voice was clear und strong, she seemed at least 10 years younger. She had no pain, when telling about her walk. At other times she could not walk or sleep because of pain. Her personality & story deeply impressed me.

At that time I wanted to start on the Camino right away, as soon my leg was healed. I startet to exercise as soon as I got the o.k. by my doc, but then I had an injury on the other leg ... Afterwards work called - being a freelancer, it was hard enough having been "out of order" for so many weeks.

Last year were lots of ups and downs, lots of thoughts what to change - work & private life. My work which I've loved so many years seemed to grow more tedious as days passed by, the clients got more demanding, me getting more and more impatient. Well, to make a long story short, three weeks ago I met a good friend, we were talking about this and that, and, I don't remember how we got on the Camino, I said to her: I don't quite see myself walking the 800 kilometers. I'm just not fit enough. We then talked about other stuff, the Camino seemingly out of my mind again. But that phrase kept ringing in my ears the following week, popping up at odd intervalls.

The Big Bang came a couple of days later, it was hard, left me stunned and sort of clueless how to continue. And again that phrase popped up: I don't quite see myself walking the 800 kilometers. But this time I also asked myself, why not?

Well, I didn't really figure out serious reasons against it, only my poor physical condition. But that can be changed. So, since then I started to plan my Camino. First I wanted to do the CP, but I must admit I changed to the CF, because infrastructure seems to be easier though due to that the walk will be more crowded. I usually don't seek crowds, but I guess, I'll find time and place for myself on my own also on the CF.

The first two important pieces of equipment I bought by the way were a guide of the CF and an ultra-light-umbrella in bright orange to be used as a parasol :eek::D. Don't ask me why I thought the latter necessary, but at least it weighs only a 180 grams :cool:.

At the moment I'm reading a lot, started walking as well, to prepare as much as I can during the remaining time before leaving.
My personal fitness is my only deep concern, will I really be able to walk that distance? When voicing my doubts to a dear friend she simply told me: You're already on your way. There's no turning back unless something unexpected happens.

It felt good to hear that, that she didn't question, but simply understood that I have to do this.

At the moment I still feel bit reluctant to tell other friends or family I'm going to walk the CF. I don't want this feeling of excitement, joy which is filling me at the moment to be impaired by questions, doubts, concern etc. from them about my phyisical fitness which are bound to come up. Wednesday coming, I'll have enough time to walk, swim and go to the fitness center. As soon as I am surer and more confident about the walking distances I can manage, I'll tell people in my closer surroundings.

Other persons like my podist, dentist, butcher etc. I've already told ;). I can't seem to hold myself back. So far there have been only very positive reactions, but probably because myself is being so joyous about this decision.

So this is all about me for now. I'm simply living the moment.

I have no idea what I'll be doing after the Camino for a living, but at the moment I'm on my way - more I don't need.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My decision to walk the CF is still quite young, only about two or three weeks old. Prep time will be short, my phyiscal condition s'not good - but nevertheless I will start at the end of August at SJPDP to SDC, then Finisterre & Muxia. God willing, that I'll remain healthy till then and on the way and myself doing everything as well to stay healthy.

First time I ever thought about walking the Camino was last year, when I met Edith in hospital. We shared a room, we both had leg fractures. We only shared the room for about three or four days. She'd been back from the CF some months ago. I've heard about it before of course, but was never really intrested in. But when Edith told me story after story about the Camino I got interested. The most fascinating though was the way she changed when talking about the Camino. There was a glow on her, her eyes sparkled, her voice was clear und strong, she seemed at least 10 years younger. She had no pain, when telling about her walk. At other times she could not walk or sleep because of pain. Her personality & story deeply impressed me.

At that time I wanted to start on the Camino right away, as soon my leg was healed. I startet to exercise as soon as I got the o.k. by my doc, but then I had an injury on the other leg ... Afterwards work called - being a freelancer, it was hard enough having been "out of order" for so many weeks.

Last year were lots of ups and downs, lots of thoughts what to change - work & private life. My work which I've loved so many years seemed to grow more tedious as days passed by, the clients got more demanding, me getting more and more impatient. Well, to make a long story short, three weeks ago I met a good friend, we were talking about this and that, and, I don't remember how we got on the Camino, I said to her: I don't quite see myself walking the 800 kilometers. I'm just not fit enough. We then talked about other stuff, the Camino seemingly out of my mind again. But that phrase kept ringing in my ears the following week, popping up at odd intervalls.

The Big Bang came a couple of days later, it was hard, left me stunned and sort of clueless how to continue. And again that phrase popped up: I don't quite see myself walking the 800 kilometers. But this time I also asked myself, why not?

Well, I didn't really figure out serious reasons against it, only my poor physical condition. But that can be changed. So, since then I started to plan my Camino. First I wanted to do the CP, but I must admit I changed to the CF, because infrastructure seems to be easier though due to that the walk will be more crowded. I usually don't seek crowds, but I guess, I'll find time and place for myself on my own also on the CF.

The first two important pieces of equipment I bought by the way were a guide of the CF and an ultra-light-umbrella in bright orange to be used as a parasol :eek::D. Don't ask me why I thought the latter necessary, but at least it weighs only a 180 grams :cool:.

At the moment I'm reading a lot, started walking as well, to prepare as much as I can during the remaining time before leaving.
My personal fitness is my only deep concern, will I really be able to walk that distance? When voicing my doubts to a dear friend she simply told me: You're already on your way. There's no turning back unless something unexpected happens.

It felt good to hear that, that she didn't question, but simply understood that I have to do this.

At the moment I still feel bit reluctant to tell other friends or family I'm going to walk the CF. I don't want this feeling of excitement, joy which is filling me at the moment to be impaired by questions, doubts, concern etc. from them about my phyisical fitness which are bound to come up. Wednesday coming, I'll have enough time to walk, swim and go to the fitness center. As soon as I am surer and more confident about the walking distances I can manage, I'll tell people in my closer surroundings.

Other persons like my podist, dentist, butcher etc. I've already told ;). I can't seem to hold myself back. So far there have been only very positive reactions, but probably because myself is being so joyous about this decision.

I have no idea what I'll be doing after the Camino for a living, but at the moment I'm on my way - more I don't need.
Well done you, I am only slightly ahead of you, I swithered and dithered too, was looking at doing something though, cycling around the world, but walking is so much easier , so a few weeks ago I booked my flights, and started telling people, who , half are interested and maybe a quarter wish it were them :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think if a lot of us really thought about it we'd be intimidated by 800kms (more like 900 with Finisterre and Muxia), but 10/15/20 even 30/40kms per day is doable and that's all there is to do for 30/40/50 days or however long you have. No job, no housework, no other commitments or worries to get in your way, just you, the path and hopefully many wonderful, sights, conversations and experiences along the way.

With a bit of luck you'll gain fitness as you progress, I can pretty much guarantee your first day will be harder than your last so if you can make it through that day even though it may be tough you'll know you're well on your way.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Well, I guess the second day will be harder for me than the first, since so far I want to walk via Valcarlos and then on to Roncevalles.

I still might change my mind, and decide to walk the Napoleon Route, but I want to wait and see how much progress I'll be making when walking on an almost daily base the next weeks. One good thing is there about the region I'm living - which I normally loathe ;) - it's quite a hilly area. It's easy to find spots where you have to walk 200 to 400 meters up hill, 40 Kilometers away there is an area which resembles the Pyrenees in height. Maybe I'll walk there, just to ease my mind, to see if it seems doable:D.

I think if a lot of us really thought about it we'd be intimidated by 800kms (more like 900 with Finisterre and Muxia), but 10/15/20 even 30/40kms per day is doable and that's all there is to do for 30/40/50 days or however long you have. No job, no housework, no other commitments or worries to get in your way, just you, the path and hopefully many wonderful, sights, conversations and experiences along the way.

With a bit of luck you'll gain fitness as you progress, I can pretty much guarantee your first day will be harder than your last so if you can make it through that day even though it may be tough you'll know you're well on your way.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
@Dorpie, you are always so positive and helpful in your comments, especially to the newbies. You are a gem on this forum, time and again.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Dorpie, you are always so positive and helpful in your comments, especially to the newbies. You are a gem on this forum, time and again.

Thanks Chris,

That's very kind of you to say, but it's all quite self serving, it keeps the excitement of the camino alive for me. I just know how much the Camino enriched my life and hope that many more people will get the chance to have the same experience, if I can give them a little nudge in the right direction that's an easy way to make a difference.

Cheers,

Rob.

Thanks Chris,

That's very kind of you to say, but it's all quite self serving, it keeps the excitement of the camino alive for me. I just know how much the Camino enriched my life and hope that many more people will get the chance to have the same experience, if I can give them a little nudge in the right direction that's an easy way to make a difference.

Cheers,

Rob.
Rob, I think you are being modest, but my compliment still stands. :)

So much of what you have written I can relate to feeling..Being able to read others stories is so encouraging,so thank you! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I knew a lot of people, fit and not-so-much, who walked the CF before I did. I wasn't overly concerned until a friend, who did not know much about the Camino, said, "You know, it'll be like walking a half marathon every day!"

That was when I began to worry. But I did fine. So will you, if you pace yourself and go at the speed and distance your body feels good about.

One good thing is there about the region I'm living ... it's quite a hilly area. It's easy to find spots where you have to walk 200 to 400 meters up hill, 40 Kilometers away there is an area which resembles the Pyrenees in height. Maybe I'll walk there, just to ease my mind, to see if it seems doable

Kia ora @sugargypsy (good health, greetings)

I too live in an area with hills with similar elevation gains. I think that has prompted me to suggest the following as part of a training regime. Namely, work towards:
1) say, 15 kilometres before stopping for breakfast
2) say, 400 metres of elevation before stopping for breakfast
The intention is to train mind and body to do things slightly differently. As well as build stamina. And, of course, with your pack and other gear you intend to take.

Something I learnt accidentally for very steep ascents was to take very short steps - the steeper ascent the shorter the step - and to breathe in on one footfall and breathe out on the other. On steep inclines the heel of one foot would stop just short of the toes on the other. On really steep inclines the advance would be not much more than 100 mm. The effect was minimal effort to lift the feet when advancing. Together with much experience of how to dress for the conditions meant, for example, no stopping after Saint-Jean until Orisson, and then only for a weather report. (I had been walking for four weeks before Saint-Jean so had good stamina.) And I found I was passing everybody for that first 10 km, although that was not my purpose.

If you are uncertain about your stamina when starting, Valcarlos would be a good option.

As to gear, the basic rule for me is to keep thinks as simple as possible. And light weight. My 35 litre pack (with rear and side pockets and frame) weighs 600 grams. My 5 degree centigrade sleeping bag is 400 gram. My 10" tablet is also my phone. I carry two changes of socks, tops and underpants, large microfibre towel, altus raincoat, 1 litre of water, quick charger for my tablet and long cables, compeed, a few meds, toilet paper and trowel. All up starting weight, including fruit etc for the journey that day, is about 6.5 kg. Two poles (good for resting on when stopped) are additional.

Kia haha (take care, be strong, get going)

Fitness is certainly a reasonable concern, but I wouldn’t let it stop you. It doesn’t sound like it will. What I would do is pack as lightweight as absolutely possible. I’d also make sure I was super happy with my footwear. If you can get out on some long training hikes with your loaded pack, that should give you a good sense of how your footwear is going to work out for you.

Once on your Camino, I suggest starting slow and making shorter stages, at least for the first couple weeks. I’d forget the Brierley stages.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@sugargypsy just in case you are now worried about walking a half marathon every day........remember you don’t need to walk that far if it’s too far for you. If 10 or 15km is your max, it’ll just take you longer than those who go farther each day. You’ll get there eventually!
Welcome sugargypsy. Kiwi family is on the mark. It's not a race so have a rest when you need to, keep well hydrated at all times. I'm planning the Camino Frances in September 2019 (my first Camino) so I'm not talking from experience. However, I did walk the Melboune (Australia) Marathon once. I finished in five and a half hours and it rained buckets the whole way. A huge blister on the sole of my right foot taught me that good, moisture wicking socks come a close second to worn in, well-fitting footwear. Loved reading your story of how you came to the decision to walk the Camino. Please let us know how you are progressing. Buen Camino!

I too live in an area with hills with similar elevation gains. I think that has prompted me to suggest the following as part of a training regime. Namely, work towards:
The intention is to train mind and body to do things slightly differently. As well as build stamina. And, of course, with your pack and other gear you intend to take.

Something I learnt accidentally for very steep ascents was to take very short steps - the steeper ascent the shorter the step - and to breathe in on one footfall and breathe out on the other. On steep inclines the heel of one foot would stop just short of the toes on the other. On really steep inclines the advance would be not much more than 100 mm. The effect was minimal effort to lift the feet when advancing. Together with much experience of how to dress for the conditions meant, for example, no stopping after Saint-Jean until Orisson, and then only for a weather report. (I had been walking for four weeks before Saint-Jean so had good stamina.) And I found I was passing everybody for that first 10 km, although that was not my purpose.

If you are uncertain about your stamina when starting, Valcarlos would be a good option.

As to gear, the basic rule for me is to keep thinks as simple as possible. And light weight. My 35 litre pack (with rear and side pockets and frame) weighs 600 grams. My 5 degree centigrade sleeping bag is 400 gram. My 10" tablet is also my phone. I carry two changes of socks, tops and underpants, large microfibre towel, altus raincoat, 1 litre of water, quick charger for my tablet and long cables, compeed, a few meds, toilet paper and trowel. All up starting weight, including fruit etc for the journey that day, is about 6.5 kg. Two poles (good for resting on when stopped) are additional.

Good advice, I fly out to Bordeaux two weeks today, so getting quite excited / nervous,
My pack is nearly 7kg , but without water , will have another look at leaving stuff behind,
Didn't realise the first church in Scotland was at Whithorn, might be a cycling pilgrimage for me, I live near Ayr , where you walked too. slightly off- topic !
Bill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Though I wouldn't fancy walking 15km before breakfast!

Thanks to all of you who liked or answered to my first post here. I didn't expect to get so much attention, but it feels really nice and makes my Camino more and more tangible.

I will start to build stamina, problably not starting with 15 kilometers, it's going to be more like 10 to 12 kilometers. Elevation will be
inevitable given the surroundings in this area. About starting before breakfast that's going to be difficult, since I never eat breakfast ;-). I'm ususally not an early bird, but I might change that for the next couple of months. At least I awake at the moment earlier than usual, I could really get myself already used to start the day with walking.

Something I learnt accidentally for very steep ascents was to take very short steps - the steeper ascent the shorter the step - and to breathe in on one footfall and breathe out on the other. On steep inclines the heel of one foot would stop just short of the toes on the other. On really steep inclines the advance would be not much more than 100 mm. The effect was minimal effort to lift the feet when advancing.
Small steps, yes, I have to remember that. My physiotherapist who worked with me after my problems with my legs last year told me that too. But I still forget that quite often.

Fitness is certainly a reasonable concern, but I wouldn’t let it stop you. It doesn’t sound like it will. What I would do is pack as lightweight as absolutely possible. I’d also make sure I was super happy with my footwear. If you can get out on some long training hikes with your loaded pack, that should give you a good sense of how your footwear is going to work out for you.

Once on your Camino, I suggest starting slow and making shorter stages, at least for the first couple weeks. I’d forget the Brierley stages.
Thanks for summarizing so pointedly the important issues for a newbie like me - before starting my Camino. About footwear I will get new insoles tomorrow, so I've got another seven weeks to get used to them as well as new shoes which I want to buy tomorrow.

Though I already have a pair which ist now seven months old, I've been wearing them almost constantly, though they are not high enough to secure my ankles. If the new ones I'm going to get tomorrow don't fit me well, I'll take these.

Today a project came to an end which was responsible for a lot of trouble the last couple of months. I can't tell you how happy I am! Now there's nothing to distract me to get ready for my Camino and to improve my fitness.

Yesterday I've already been to my dentist to check, if everythings o.k., because I sometimes felt a little twist on one of my tooths and my dentist took care of that :). Today I went to my GP to find out what she thinks about my walking the Camino.

She congratulated me on this surperb plan :cool:, sees no problems, if I take good care of my feet, since they are a sore point concerning my health. She gave me as a present a special cream for sensitive feet as well as 5 special big sticking plasters 10 x 10 cm which speeds up healing (when having blisters or other injuries) which you normally only get on prescription ;). Then she told me to act in my ususal sensible way, don't overdo and everything will be fine! This is really great, becauce I can tell this especially my mom (81) which will reassure her tremendously, when I will tell her that I'll walk the Camino, because she likes and trusts my GP who has already helped me through some severe circumstances.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Didn't realise the first church in Scotland was at Whithorn, might be a cycling pilgrimage for me,

Whithorn Way website has a lot of useful information. And don't overlook Isle of Whithorn, the landing point for pilgrims coming from the south.

Original intention was to continue from Ayr. Major obstacles included:
1) the path does not seem to be signposted
2) only OS map references were available
........I will not carry paper maps - too fiddly and OSMand+ is on my tablet
3) it was November, so short colder days and uncertain weather
4) I was on my own after Ayr (prefer that)
5) uncertain phone coverage in emergencies
6) would have to carry food for about five days - but no capacity
7) looked at roads on StreetView
........narrow, windy, banks, walls or hedges on road edge - no shoulders

In the event train to Stranraer and bus to Whithorn was very enjoyable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Whithorn Way website has a lot of useful information. And don't overlook Isle of Whithorn, the landing point for pilgrims coming from the south.

Original intention was to continue from Ayr. Major obstacles included:
1) the path does not seem to be signposted
2) only OS map references were available
........I will not carry paper maps - too fiddly and OSMand+ is on my tablet
3) it was November, so short colder days and uncertain weather
4) I was on my own after Ayr (prefer that)
5) uncertain phone coverage in emergencies
6) would have to carry food for about five days - but no capacity
7) looked at roads on StreetView
........narrow, windy, banks, walls or hedges on road edge - no shoulders

In the event train to Stranraer and bus to Whithorn was very enjoyable.
Thanks, will put this on my to do list for local walks, :)

@Hansel , hi again

This exchange has prompted me to revisit how I might do this pilgrimage again. And I noticed the greater majority of it is on formed roads, some on formed paths (often disused railways) and just one section off road.

Last year I walked with my adult son and we took it slowly and short each day.

By myself I would consider/attempt these stages on roads/paths:
1) 28 km - Saint Mungo's** to Lochwinnock
2) 27 km - to Irvine
3) 32 km - to Maybole
4) 41 km - to Barrhill via Girvan (may split this)
5) 30 km - to Glen Luce
6) 35 km - to Whithorn
total around 210 km (130 miles)
(distances courtesy Google maps)

** more formally, Cathedral Church of Saint Kentigern, Glasgow

Great info and advice, thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.