• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

How often do you wash your silk liner

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
How often do you wash your silk liner while on the Camino?
If you wash it as soon as you arrive at the albergue will it dry in time to sleep in it at night? Or is it better to wait until you take a rest day to wash it? Of course, that would be a problem if you don't take any rest days!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How often do you wash your silk liner while on the Camino?
If you wash it as soon as you arrive at the albergue will it dry in time to sleep in it at night? Or is it better to wait until you take a rest day to wash it? Of course, that would be a problem if you don't take any rest days!
Like Cher the real reason I don't wash on the Camino is that was thoroughly sprayed with the anti bed-bug stuff (given a real treatment and then allowed to air/dry). It was then given another thorough wash (very warm water - hand wash) and left in the sun to dry for a full day. It will be treated again before I start the Camino in May 2017.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I washed it from time to time, prob. every few days? I walked in Summer so it got pretty hot at night. I found it dried very quickly, yet again because it was Summer :)
If it was cold and raining, I wouldn't bother!

When it needs washing. Mine didn't over 30 odd days of use, but it wasn't particularly warm at night and I don't get too hot and bothered in bed (that sounds a bit personal!). It's just had its first wash on returning home. Incidentally I bought a new silk liner for this Camino. Very wide (the width of the spanish pillows) with an envelope for the pillow to fit in, and very comfortable. I used my down sleeping bag as a blanket. The best combination I have experienced.

.......I bought a new silk liner for this Camino. Very wide (the width of the spanish pillows) with an envelope for the pillow to fit in, and very comfortable.......
That's a great idea. Coming from North America, I had just the 'regular' width liner with the envelope to fit the standard North American sized pillow, which didn't work at all with the long Spanish pillow. And next time, I too, plan to get a sleeping bag that opens flat and can be used as a blanket.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I get home and just before I leave the next year to eliminate any mold or mildew.

I only washed mine while walking when it was a "bedbug situation issue"!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When it needs washing. Mine didn't over 30 odd days of use, but it wasn't particularly warm at night and I don't get too hot and bothered in bed (that sounds a bit personal!). It's just had its first wash on returning home. Incidentally I bought a new silk liner for this Camino. Very wide (the width of the spanish pillows) with an envelope for the pillow to fit in, and very comfortable. I used my down sleeping bag as a blanket. The best combination I have experienced.
I bought a double sized liner that I am going to cut down to make an oversized single. How wide are the Spanish pillows?

I bought a double sized liner that I am going to cut down to make an oversized single. How wide are the Spanish pillows?

After its wash it measures 86 cm wide by 210 long. I would not think that it has shrunk at all. I purchased a white 100% silk liner. It has been excellent. I wanted white or a light colour so that I could easily check if I was carrying any visitors (bed bugs) which are near impossible to see on dark fabrics. The penalty of a white liner is that it is not entirely opaque, which was not a problem for me at this time of year when I was using my bag on top, but in warmer weather it may leave you feeling a bit exposed if you sleep scantily clad in a public place.

Last edited:
I only washed the pillow part of mine once, after my lip bled all over it. It dried quickly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wore clothes in bed because it was cold, so no need to wash! i.e. it didn't smell!

After its wash it measures 86 cm wide by 110 long. I would not think that it has shrunk at all. I purchased a white 100% silk liner. It has been excellent. I wanted white or a light colour so that I could easily check if I was carrying any visitors (bed bugs) which are near impossible to see on dark fabrics. The penalty of a white liner is that it is not entirely opaque, which was not a problem for me at this time of year when I was using my bag on top, but in warmer weather it may leave you feeling a bit exposed if you sleep scantily clad in a public place.
I'm confused about your measurements. You don't really mean 110 cm long, do you?
I also purchased a white liner, but decided to dye it because it is so sheer, I think that I'd feel rather exposed. I used two colors for a sort of tie dye effect, and it turned out very pretty. :)

I'm confused about your measurements. You don't really mean 110 cm long, do you?
I also purchased a white liner, but decided to dye it because it is so sheer, I think that I'd feel rather exposed. I used two colors for a sort of tie dye effect, and it turned out very pretty. :)

No, sorry for the typo, it is 210 cms. I shall edit the original post.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@trecile, a bit of unsolicited advice---Be sure and sleep in it a night at home, preferably on a bare mattress and wearing whatever you plan to sleep in on Camino. More people like them than don't, but I am one of those unfortunate few. I was so glad that I found out at home that I hated the way it clung to my body. I use a different kind of sleep sak.

@trecile, a bit of unsolicited advice---Be sure and sleep in it a night at home, preferably on a bare mattress and wearing whatever you plan to sleep in on Camino. More people like them than don't, but I am one of those unfortunate few. I was so glad that I found out at home that I hated the way it clung to my body. I use a different kind of sleep sak.
Thanks for the suggestion! I plan to try everything at home first. What can of sleep sack did you end up with?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the suggestion! I plan to try everything at home first. What can of sleep sack did you end up with?
It's an Omni-Heat by Columbia. It took some getting used to as it doesn't open on the side. Once I figured out that I could sit on edge of bunk, put my feet into it and then pull it up, I was 100% happy with it.

They're long and narrow - in length about the same as the width of a single/twin bed - around 90cm or 36". And not very thick. I tended to fold mine in half lengthwise to get a bit of height! If you're used to sleeping with more than one pillow you might find them quite thin. You can boost them up a bit with clothes stuffed into the pillowcase or the top of your liner (can't believe I just thought of this!:D :oops:, I was thinking of taking my own pillow next time!:rolleyes: Doh...)

Wash it when you get home.

If you take a shower after your day on the camino and before you crawl into your bag at night ... it won't get particularly dirty.

Laundry facilities are scarce and in much demand.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Tie dye!
If you're going to San Tiago
Be sure to wear
Some flowers in your hair ;)

Back