• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumeiro Swing in Santiago de Compostela - What You Need to Know

Kimxyz

Time of past OR future Camino
Somewhere July 23
I read that the botafumeiro swings only a few days a year, but can be requested to be swung other days. Is there a donation that is expected with the request? What I really want to know is should I plan my trip to accommodate a scheduled botafumeiro swing, or take my chances that it will swing while I am in SdC? How often in practice is it being swung? Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In high pilgrim season, I believe that it swings pretty much every day.

This was not the case in previous years, but the number of companies and individuals financing it has grown.

Only on certain feast days is the Botafumeiro guaranteed though.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I was there in late October it swung everyday at the 12 Pilgrim mass, but it didn’t swing at the 19:00/19:30 mass.

From the Catedral website
The Botafumeiro operates during the following Solemnities:

• The Epiphany: 6 January
  • Resurrection Sunday
  • The Apparition of the Apostle-Clavijo: 23 May
  • Pentecost
  • The Martyrdom of Saint James: 25 July
  • The Assumption of Mary: 15 August
  • All Saints: 1 November
  • Christ the King
  • The Immaculate Conception: 8 December
  • Christmas: 25 December
  • Transfer of the remains of the Apostle: 30 December
It can also be requested by Pilgrims

JImG59 is correct.

The Church funds the use of the Botafumeiro on the days listed - ONLY.

At all other times, and at all other, lesser, religious commemorations and Masses, the Botafumeiro is used IF someone contacts the pilgrim office at:

www.botafumeiro@catedraldesantiago.es (in Spanish)

... and offers to pay for the Botafumeiro to be used at a specific Mass or occasion.

With this subscription, comes preferred seating so you and / or your group can be up front to see it all, without obstruction. That is why most of the paid use of the botafumeiro is by groups.

Those who are making pilgrimage, or who are visiting the cathedral otherwise - even cruise ship passengers bussed up from the port at Vigo for day trips - get front row seating if their host paid for the use of the botafumeiro. But, usually, it is a civic group, church group, boy scouts, girl scouts, a corporate group, the military, etc. who have walked into Santiago de Compostela, and want to be certain that they see the Botafumeiro while they are there.

Don't quote me, but as of last summer, when I worked as a volunteer, I recall the per use price was something like €450. I could be incorrect. Consider that there is an expense to maintaining the Botafumeiro. It is fundamentally a really heavy and precious (solid silver) kettle barbeque on a chain. It needs to be serviced and cleaned between uses.

Also, the men who pull the ropes - Tiraboleiros - are compensated for their partication in this honored activity. Long gone are the days when seminarians or legions of religious men could be pressed into service.

There are perhaps 15-18 of these fellows available when needed. So this select cadre of local men are called on to do the honors.

I consider this all to be rather practical and reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I was there in late October it swung everyday at the 12 Pilgrim mass, but it didn’t swing at the 19:00/19:30 mass.

• Resurrection Sunday
  • Pentecost
  • Christ the King
You must have been lucky. I was there in October and went to two masses - one at 12 and it didn’t swing. I think it’s a bit random

• Resurrection Sunday
  • Pentecost
  • Christ the King
You were lucky 😊 I was there in October and went to two masses - one at 12 and it didn’t swing at either. Seems to be a bit random on talking to other pilgrims 🙁

JImG59 is correct.

The Church funds the use of the Botafumeiro on the days listed - ONLY.

At all other times, and at all other, lesser, religious commemorations and Masses, the Botafumeiro is used IF someone contacts the pilgrim office at:

www.botafumeiro@catedraldesantiago.es (in Spanish)

... and offers to pay for the Botafumeiro to be used at a specific Mass or occasion.

With this subscription, comes preferred seating so you and / or your group can be up front to see it all, without obstruction. That is why most of the paid use of the botafumeiro is by groups.

Those who are making pilgrimage, or who are visiting the cathedral otherwise - even cruise ship passengers bussed up from the port at Vigo for day trips - get front row seating if their host paid for the use of the botafumeiro. But, usually, it is a civic group, church group, boy scouts, girl scouts, a corporate group, the military, etc. who have walked into Santiago de Compostela, and want to be certain that they see the Botafumeiro while they are there.

Don't quote me, but as of last summer, when I worked as a volunteer, I recall the per use price was something like €450. I could be incorrect. Consider that there is an expense to maintaining the Botafumeiro. It is fundamentally a really heavy and precious (solid silver) kettle barbeque on a chain. It needs to be serviced and cleaned between uses.

Also, the men who pull the ropes - Tiraboleiros - are compensated for their partication in this honored activity. Long gone are the days when seminarians or legions of religious men could be pressed into service.

There are perhaps 15-18 of these fellows available when needed. So this select cadre of local men are called on to do the honors.

I consider this all to be rather practical and reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thank you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You were lucky 😊 I was there in October and went to two masses - one at 12 and it didn’t swing at either. Seems to be a bit random on talking to other pilgrims 🙁
On the other hand, when I was there in October (2018) I saw it swung multiple times. In August (2016) we didn't see it swing at all. Unless you pay for it yourself, it is really a matter of luck, although it makes sense that when there are more groups, there is a greater chance that at least one will be willing to pay for it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I attended 7 pilgrim masses (I am non-practicing Catholic) over the course of 3 days in Aug and didn't swing it once. This was after being assured that it happens all the time. lol. So you have to be a bit lucky...

Well, i have been lucky throughout life, so I will keep my fingers crossed. THanks for keeping my expectations realistic.

When I was there in September 2014, it was swung at each of the several masses I attended.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I read that the botafumeiro swings only a few days a year, but can be requested to be swung other days.

Yes - there is a set schedule for the definite swinging of the botafumeiro
Is there a donation that is expected with the request?
I want to say it is 450 Euros... but I can't remember for sure if that is the exact amount... and I think it needs to be paid a couple weeks in advance.
What I really want to know is should I plan my trip to accommodate a scheduled botafumeiro swing, or take my chances that it will swing while I am in SdC?
You can look at the calendar of holidays for a guaranteed viewing. But that is really limited timewise. Most of us just take our changes.
How often in practice is it being swung? Thank you
In reality it gets swung quite often - but it is unpredictable. It seems to swing more often at the noon mass... but no guarantee. I missed it in 2021 (went to 2 services). In 2022... I went to the noon mass and it wasn't swung. I was hanging around for a long time afterwards and noticed they were putting a lot of reserved cards on many rows of pews. I realized they had an unscheduled (extra) mass for the deaf in Spain and figured out they probably paid for it to be swung. I stayed and was right. Not only did I get to see it swing, but I got to participate in a special mass for the deaf folks - it was special and moving. If you also see a lot of school/church groups walking into Santiago - you can ask them if their group has paid for the botofumeiro to swing and try to attend the same mass. For the noon mass though - there is often a line to get in if you don't get there at least 90 minutes early.

• Resurrection Sunday
  • Pentecost
  • Christ the King
Do you know what time on those days?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think it’s better that it’s unpredictable.

Somewhat like the ‘must stay’ albergues which now get booked months in advance (when there are many excellent but less featured places to stay) seeing the botafumeiro is becoming an expectation not serendipity.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.