• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How realistic is it to use a 28L Pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funkyskier

Time of past OR future Camino
My wife and I will be on our Camino from early June to Mid July. My wife has chosen the Northface Angstrom 28 as her pack. She is 5'2" and chose this pack because it fits her well. I will also be using a pack less than 40L and will carry the extra items we both utilize. We absolutely do not want to pack anything that's not essential to the journey. Our thought is a small pack forces us to pack smart. Is a 28L pack really realistic?

Cheers!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use a 30 lt pack because it fits well and I cannot comfortably carry more than 6.25kg (including water). Terry carried some of my items, towel and sleeping bag. The best way to check is to pack both packs with your necessities and walk with them at home. Terry's pack is 45lt but you might be OK with the 40lt.
Buen Camino

Put it this way: Is 28 + (less than) 40 litres enough for two? I think so. All you need is a spare set of clothing and a few toiletries which you will share, plus a second pair of shoes, rain gear and a sleeping bag or silk bag each. Many pilgrims swear by the Osprey Talon 33 packs, where the S/M is 31 litres and the M/L is 33, making 64 litres for two. You should be fine, and you are absolutely right - less room forces clever packing! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My next pack will be 30L or smaller depending on how the test packing goes, I suggest you bring your packing list to the store and test out a few bags.

Is a 28L pack really realistic?
Maybe. My quick rule of thumb is for summer, halve your body mass (in kg) to find the approx pack size in litres. If your wife isn't overweight, around 30li seems okay.

I have provided a more detailed explanation of this in a response on another thread.

Regards

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know if a 28l pack is too small, but I do believe that the number and bulk of the items carried will increase in proportion to the space allotted. The 28l pack may force you to be even more disciplined in culling your packing list. I think you'll do well. Buen Camino and happy holidays.

I find my packing list fits into almost anything. Its when I bring the items themselves that the problems start!

Correction! Bring the items from your packing list to the store and test a few bags.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Take a look at the Deuter backpacks that have front panel access, I'm looking at the AC Aera 30, they also have a women's version in 28L

Take a look at the Deuter backpacks that have front panel access, I'm looking at the AC Aera 30, they also have a women's version in 28L
The AC Aera looks like a good alternative to a two compartment pack, which are difficult to find under 30li. I much prefer being able to have my pack ready to go the night before, and just slipping my sleeping bag into the bottom compartment, stuffing my night gear into the top, and getting away. This design might give similar flexibility with only the one compartment.

The Deuter ACT Trail line are also panel loading as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will be taking an Osprey 33 L. I have managed to fit a surprising amount of gear in it and it also forces me to stick to the plan and not over pack.
Buen camino :)

I use a 30L pack that has never been absolutely full even with food and water. A 28L shouldn't present any difficulties.

One thing I've found useful in packing is not to use a bag to house your sleeping bag. I simply put mine in the bottom of the pack and load the other stuff on top. That way, the sleeping bag fills ups all the empty spaces instead of being a firm ball in the pack. It takes up less space and keeps the pack stable.

Putting it in first doesn't make much difference in the morning. After all, how long does it take to pack one set of clothes? They're probably not already in your pack anyway as you've washed them the night before and they've been drying overnight.

Realistic - yes; comfortable/satisfactory ..... Hmm, depends on what you are happy to do without. "Any fool can be uncomfortable."

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, After 2000kms of caminos carrying a 34 litre pack, this year I left it in Leon and transferred all the essentials to a 26 litre Deuter (German) that I bought in Leon. In this I carried a sleeping bag and silk liner, 2 changes of clothing in addition to what I was wearing, toiletries, first aid kit, and paperwork. I walked in boots and my sandals were strapped on the outside of the pack, and I carried 1 litre of water. My fleece jacket and waterproof jacket slipped into the airspace between the pack and the mesh. Admittedly it was a sueeze It was a squeeze and I would use a 28 litre in future. I walked in hot weather, snow and much rain between Leon and Santiago and between Porto and Santiago on the Portuguese Camino. I always had adequate clothes. The pleasure of swinging my pack on my back in the morning convinced to never carry my other bigger pack again on the camino.When I got to Santiago it was easy to bus back to Leon my other big pack which I had left at a hotel.

I walked the first half of the Camino Frances this past June with a 24 liter Osprey Cirrus, and will carry the same pack when I complete the second half in June, 2014. I had no problem fitting everything I needed in the pack, including some blister supplies that I bought along the way. However, my husband did carry the food that we bought each day.

Since 2011, I am walking with a 28l bag (Deuter spectro) - I manage to have every thin inside, even my sleeping bag.
Only items left outside : a"therm a rest" (for camping, thus on the Camino Frances, you won't need it) and my valuables, telephone, papers, walking guides in a hip bag.
It is great to have little with you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be taking an Osprey 33 L. I have managed to fit a surprising amount of gear in it and it also forces me to stick to the plan and not over pack.
Buen camino :)
Well done.!

I hear the rule of thumb is to carry your body weight plus ten percent!. Then one is prepared for every emergency or contingency. Is a small table and a comfortable chair excessive? With a champagne bucket? Seems a reasonable approch to me... :)

Well done.!

I hear the rule of thumb is to carry your body weight plus ten percent!. Then one is prepared for every emergency or contingency. Is a small table and a comfortable chair excessive? With a champagne bucket? Seems a reasonable approch to me... :)
Body weight plus 10% - not likely!! 10% of walking body mass or your BMI = 25 weight is a reasonable target for a summer Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes totally possible in the summer time. You really only need two outfits. (Two shirts and two pants) I suggest leggings for your wife as one of the pants and shorts because it will be hot. I used a small microfiber towel, smaller than a sheet of printer paper. You don't need two pairs of shoes, just your hiking boots and then sandals. Also don't bring a sleeping bag, you don't need it especially in the summer. A liner or even a sheet sewn like a sleeping bag so that you just have something to protect you from the bed. Bring a knife for cutting cheese, bread and fruit. Other than this, that's really all you need. Oh, and good sunglasses... I brought cheap dark shades with me and ended up buying more expensive ones later because the color filter of my dark shades was so ugly I didn't get to enjoy the beautiful country side vistas.

I second the good light sunglasses!

€149,-
Denali 28 L, with a light metal frame & belly strap,works for me,I just strap my tent & self inflate, on the outside, & I'm away.......I always carry a spare plastic strap buckle,over time I have broken two,it can be so annoying, having to tie & untie the knots in your belly strap............Vicrev.

You don't need a metal frame, when you pack it right a have enough compression straps and keep it as light as possible. When you use a 28 l pack, make sure that it fits well and pack it that way, that you have space left for food for your walking day and water.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Seems like for most people a 28 liter is possible.
Just give you my considerations, maybe it helps with choosing (or makes it difficult again) :cool:.
On purpose I bought a bigger pack and I'm happy with that. Sure I need the discipline not to pack till my pack is full whe I start the camino, but that's fine for me.

I like to take a bigger pack because I hate to compress all my stuff into the pack every moning on the camino. Often it goes with shuffling and reshufling, it disturbs other people in albergues who are still sleeping. With a bigger pack it is easy to fill my pack, when everything is in it I just tighten the side straps to make the pack smaller again and voila! In this way there is always room for extra stuff after shopping.
Exept for the needing discipline when starting the camino, a thight backpack only has disadvantages for me.

Last edited:
The side straps are the compression straps. ;-) Nessasary for lighter non frame packs, the tight inside of your pack takes the place of a frame.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The side straps are the compression straps. ;-)

You are right. My English is not always so accurate...:rolleyes:

Nessasary for lighter non frame packs, the tight inside of your pack takes the place of a frame.
I don't agree on this one. On my osprey atmos (and most other packs) there is a frame and there are compression straps for making the pack smaller to prevent all the stuff to sink to the bottum or to move around while walking.

Last edited:
The side straps are the compression straps. ;-) Nessasary for lighter non frame packs, the tight inside of your pack takes the place of a frame.

The purpose of compression straps is to make the load secure so it doesn't flop about.

Tight compression straps and the resultant more rigid load do not take the place of a load suspension system.

I don't understand why you would want a small pack.

Weight for Arcteryx 35L pack is 1.0 kg. Weight for 50L pack is 1.5 kg. A savings of one whole pound.
http://www.arcteryx.com/Home.aspx?language=EN

A small pack may make you leave stuff behind that perhaps should be left behind. I'd still want the larger bag so that I don't overstuff the pack with risk of bursting zippers and seams. I'd still want the larger bag so I can carry lunch without crushing that loaf of bread or banana. I'd still want the larger bag so that I can rummage around for that item in the bottom of the bag without unloading my unmentionables in the public square.

I think there is no real advantage in selecting a 28l bag over a 50l bag.

Caveat: I went with my 90l backpack. I was too cheap to go buy a more suitable pack that I would likely only use on the camino. It weighs 3 kg empty ... I wouldn't go with that again.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I already posted our pack sizes above but would like to add the following.
Terry has a smaller pack, similar to my Camino pack, for training and local walking; he finds it less comfortable than his 'Camino' pack and would not walk the Camino with it. I too have a smaller pack which I carried once and would not use again, hence my current pack. Fit and comfort are more important than capacity - up to a point. The added weight of a much larger pack would be a problem for me. There is a 'make or break' point of about 150gms at about 6kg 250gms. At 6kg 500gms+ with water I need to lighten my pack asap by drinking some of the water. I can carry a few bits and pieces in my pockets, but this year am more concious than before about also keeping 'extra' weight off my joints, not just out of my pack.
Both packs have a frame and airflow system which we prefer. Mine weighs 1kg 060gms, Terry's 1kg 600gms, so for us size does matter.

So it is good (IMHO) to check that all you really need fits in the smaller packs or, if one of you does need a larger pack, be disciplined and don't add in 'extras'. :)
In Santiago our Compostela tube (we share one) goes in Terry's pack - we leave space for it. We each carry a 'Silsac', 68gms, for sightseeing and in case we buy any extras/souvenirs in Santiago.

I have a Deuter 40+10l back pack, and it initially looked tiny to me... On "The Way" the packs look huge, but then I expect that the actors don't share my 5ft11, "built-for-comfort-not-for-speed" frame, and they were travelling in October/November, which I assume are cool months... As you say, it's about packing the bare essentials - what you forget you can buy on the way. I am comfortable that my pack will be enough for me, travelling solo, with room for some additional shopping once in Santiago. The only down side, is that it is rather full, it won't make the 55x40x20cm carry on allowance.

€46,-
I have walked 3 Caminos with my 24l Osprey ! I go lightly

I have a Deuter 40+10l back pack, and it initially looked tiny to me... On "The Way" the packs look huge, but then I expect that the actors don't share my 5ft11, "built-for-comfort-not-for-speed" frame
@Monya, at 1.8m, your walking weight will be between 80kg and 97kg (BMI 25 & 30). My rule of thumb for pack size is your pack size in litres needs to be half your walking weight (in kg) for summer, with up to 25% more for spring and autumn. Your proposed pack size looks about right to me on that basis.

Regards

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took a 30+5l rucksack and struggled with it as everything was such a tight fit and had to practically empty it out and repack it every time I needed something from it. Next time I will go with a larger rucksack. The weight was never a problem and I could have carried a little more but found I had no space to carry extra items like food on days with longer walks between towns. I also had to throw a pair of shoes away due to lack of space which I really needed for the evenings when my boots were killing me! Anyway, you live and learn!

Well, having worked most of my life as a carpenter/joiner/boatbuilder, I found the best solution to carrying tools was to make a small toolbox, and fit the tools into it, rather than making a box to fit the tools - I'd never have lifted it!
Same with rucsacs. I have just packed my 20litre Deuter Airwalk with spare clothes,sleeping bag,waterproof bivi bag, inflatable karrimat ,overtrousers ,plus the usual first aid and miscellaneous stuff, 2 x 500ml bottles in the pockets,plus small trowel and trail snacks. So, fully independent, camping out, not having to rely on albs/hostals etc, for Camino Frances in May. 5.5kgs including water and food.
Best of all, I can stop when and where I like, walk on into the evening, avoid the "race for a bed", and control my camino, rather than the reverse.:)

Thank You everyone for the great tips and recommendations. Since I have already purchased my wife's pack I can rest a little easier now. I'm still wavering between a few different packs for myself. I like the Osprey Exos and Stratos models and now I stumbled on on the Gregory Z40. The Gregory seems well appointed and REI has it on clearance sale for $129.00, but that a discussion for another thread.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Of course anything will work, and each to her own on what works best regarding packs and packing. I'd recommend selecting a pack that is itself lightweight and that fits the body well, even if it's a larger capacity in liters. Last year I saw a lot of people struggling with managing their stuff because their packs were too small to allow easy loading and unloading, especially when added-on-the-trail squash-able food items were involved. If one is starting in SJPP, you will need some extra space for food straight out of the gate on that first day over the Pyrenees.

Curious thing, I think it's probably psychological, but it seems to me that a fully loaded or stuffed-to-the-brim pack feels heavier than one with some breathing room in it. Is that crazy?

Thank You everyone for the great tips and recommendations. Since I have already purchased my wife's pack I can rest a little easier now. I'm still wavering between a few different packs for myself. I like the Osprey Exos and Stratos models and now I stumbled on on the Gregory Z40. The Gregory seems well appointed and REI has it on clearance sale for $129.00, but that a discussion for another thread.
I use the Z40 and find it great. It has the air gap frame and it both top and back opening.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Shouldn't be a problem at that time of year if you are sharing.
Agree with Wayfarer's succinct, experienced comment. To make a short story long... I used a 2008 Deuter 28AC pack last year. My wife's 23 L Deuter was replaced by a 38 L ladies Gregory Jade 38 because it felt very good - and was a beautiful, bright crimson. I carried the denser stuff like electronics and extra water (rarely needed for us) in a 2 L flexible water pack. Backpack plus stuff weighed 11 pounds (5 kg) without the water pack filled. It will probably be very warm in June-July so I suggest taking a flexible water pack. Lots of opportunity to buy water, too, and a good guide book will point out where the public taps are located. If you start in St. Jean, take a drink from the "Fountain of Roland" spring right after you cross into España just because...

No need to carry your meals. We bought thick nylon twine at the dollar store and about 20 miniature wooden clothes pegs from Michael's hobby store so we could wash and hang stuff in our room if we stayed in pensiĂłns. Our Camino Frances was very wet and at times cold (April-May) and we had high quality merinos and long underwear, rain jackets and rain pants. Anita took a very light sleeping bag and all I took was a silk liner with built in pillow slip, the "pillow" being my fleece top. Refugios have blankets. The long underwear was worn only once - in the Pyrenees, where we encountered ice pellets, fog, rain and sub-freezing temperatures on April 26 - but it was light and compact enough not to be a burden for the rest of the trip. You will be fine with the two packs you have. Buen Camino.

If you don't pack in the sleeping bag then it sounds fine with 28L bag. My vest 58L pack was mostly occupied by the sleeping bag, and without it, or strapped outside, the smaller bag would've been just fine.

In summer you need no sleeping bag, a liner is enough and needs not much space of a bag!

€149,-
I prepacked and my gear, including tent, mat and sleepingbag fits in 32l . So you will be fine, if not taking books and multiple extra clothes. Make the list short :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.