• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How safe for a young girl

olm

Time of past OR future Camino
leon-camino de santiago
Hello everyone! Can anybody tell me how safe it is for young woman going on the road alone. As I read some missing news.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone! Can anybody tell me how safe it is for young woman going on the road alone. As I read some missing news.
i would say it is very safe, i met several young girls[aged 19] that began the trip alone and saw that many older people would watch out for them.i spoke with two of the girls and they said they felt safe and comfortable. just be sensible as you would any where in the world and i would suggest chatting to people you trust and letting them know if you plan to get off route at any stage cos you may find they will be looking out for you as people bond quickly,YOU WILL BE SAFE,and i wish you a wonderful adventure.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Watch out for middle aged men out to regain their youth. They are not dangerous, but they can be irritating! Spanish men in bars are like men in bars everywhere; a couple of drinks and they think they have become attractive to all women. :)

@falcon269 haha, I didn't plan for the bars but I just ask for the roads. Thanks by the way! :)

Last edited:
I was surprised about the level of 'security' actually. The Pilgrims on the Camino become this large extended family that look out for each other. After a few days, everyone seems to know everyone, by sight if not by name, and look out for each other.

It can actually become quite touching...... You might want to read 'Saving Pilgrim Susan' about half way down this page :) http://robscamino.com/10th-of-may/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Robo Hi, Thanks for the promising message. I might ask you something: I am student, I want to start from Leon, where can I stay in Leon for cheap to meet other pilgrims? Also; I just have a map, do I need internet for google map or GPS not to get lost on the way?

Hi @olm. If you are starting from Leon then you can stay your first night in any of the Albergues. Just tell the hospitalero/a that you are starting from Leon. This also gives you your first stamp on your Credencial. If you don't have one yet then the Albergue Santa Maria de Carbajalos, Plaza de Santa Maria del Camino (clue) will issue one. You will meet many pilgrims there.

For navigation, just follow the yellow arrows and / or the pilgrim in front. You might find it useful to download one of the accommodation lists from the Resources Section so that you have an idea of where your next bed will be found.

It is difficult for me to comment on safety for young women. I'm an old bloke: our experience of the world is very different. There has been a lot of discussion on this topic on the forum recently which I'm sure that you can find, read and learn from. Consensus seems to be that the Camino paths are very safe places to be. Pilgrims look after each other and the very vast majority of our hosts in Spain do the same. Nevertheless bad things happen as they can happen anywhere. What seems to be sound advice is to always walk with other pilgrims or at least in sight and sound of others. On the Camino Frances in the summer-time that is very easy to achieve. For general security keep your valuables and important documents out-of-sight and secure and with you at all times - bathroom / showers / in your pillow at night. And enjoy your journey.

Buen Camino

@Robo Hi, Thanks for the promising message. I might ask you something: I am student, I want to start from Leon, where can I stay in Leon for cheap to meet other pilgrims? Also; I just have a map, do I need internet for google map or GPS not to get lost on the way?

The way is marked with yellow indicators; yellow arrows or stylized scallop shells.

If by chance you take a wrong turn, local people will assist you on getting back to the camino, often without being asked. So internet devices and GPS are of limited value and not worth the weight.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@jennie Hi jennie, thank you. @movinmaggie Hi movinmaggie, actually not younger than 18.
As others have stated here, you will meet many pilgrims of all ages. I congratulate you on taking this on for yourself. I have no doubt you will remain safe and have an experience of a lifetime. Today, I'm the youngest I will ever be….at 79. Buen Camino olm.

Hi, as Tincatinker has said..... A local Albergue should be fine. And no real need for maps. You learn very quickly to 'scan' at every junction looking for arrows or other markers. And you learn not to go on till you spot one! Or at least a gaggle of other Pilgrims in front of you.

Dear @Tincatinker Thanks for the help and advises, I will sure do. But I don't know what is hospitalero/e and I don't have Credencial but I'll get one. Thanks again for your help and good wishes. I have one more question whether I can shorten the trip from leon to camino to 13 days by taking like bus in between?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dear @Tincatinker Thanks for the help and advises, I will sure do. But I don't know what is hospitalero/e and I don't have Credencial but I'll get one. Thanks again for your help and good wishes. I have one more question whether I can shorten the trip from leon to camino to 13 days by taking like bus in between?
@olm, hospitaleros are the people who run / manage / supervise Albergues. They look after pilgrims. In some they even cook them an evening meal. A Credencial is your "Pilgrim Passport" and you will need one to stay in an Albergue. It will be stamped each time by the Hospitalero/a. You should also obtain another "sello" (stamp) during the day as you are walking - easily obtained in bars / cafes / churches / Town Halls and other places too. As I said you can obtain a Credencial in Leon.

Thirteen days should be enough time to walk Leon to Santiago but if you do need to skip a bit this is always possible. Remember, if you wish to obtain a Compostella you must walk the final 100km into Santiago, that is from Sarria to Santiago. Catching a bus before that is ok.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There were not so many albergues in Leon as you would expect in a big city. My impression of it was mostly of desperate looking pilgrims walking around and trying to find a place to stay. Sure there were hotels for 130 euros/person/night. I would advise to make a reservation.

There were not so many albergues in Leon as you would expect in a big city. My impression of it was mostly of desperate looking pilgrims walking around and trying to find a place to stay. Sure there were hotels for 130 euros/person/night. I would advise to make a reservation.
Gronze lists 600 Albergue and Hostal beds @ €10 or less. Doesn't seem like a shortage to me.

I've also read that the municipal albergue in Leon (which closed three years ago) may re-open. The Ayuntamiento is studying it,

http://www.diariodeleon.es/noticias...e-peregrinos-lleva-3-anos-cerrado_998543.html,

and for what it's worth the editorial page of the same newspaper came out with an editorial strongly advocating that the government re-open it.

http://www.diariodeleon.es/noticias...-cuanto-antes-albergue-peregrinos_998555.html

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Tincatinker Thanks for the information and the time you put to explain. I couldn't find the list, I supposed the Gronze is a website, right?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@falcon269 haha, I didn't plan for the bars but I just ask for the roads. Thanks by the way! :)
If you are going on Camino you are going into bars. The bar is often the only place to get food or a cup of coffee.
It sounds to me as though you need to do just a little bit of research before you go. Find out about Albuergues, hospitaleros, cost, navigation, Conchas and flechas amarillas and credenciales. These things make up the bare bones of the Camino.
I think if you are a reasonably cautious and aware person you will be safe on the Camino. And by that I mean if you're social enough to ask another peregrino/a to walk with you on a lonely stretch, have enough familiarity with the language that you can ask the hospitalero what the leg ahead of you looks like, etc.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Watch out for middle aged men out to regain their youth. They are not dangerous, but they can be irritating! Spanish men in bars are like men in bars everywhere; a couple of drinks and they think they have become attractive to all women. :)
By men, you probably mean men/ women...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi again! Could it possible somebody name the city/town night stops between Leon and Camino, it seems it is different?

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back