• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How steep is steep?

Curiosity, I am starting from Pamplona on 5 May. I will walk as far as I do until about 14/15, then take train/bus to Ponferrada to meet a group of singers and become a 'touragrino' for 12 days. That part of it will be 'set stages' as it's all pre-booked. If I get the walking bug, which is likely, I may then go down and walk the Portugese. Or go back and 'fill in' the Frances.. I also have lots of time :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hmmm, really, it's necessary to walk that far every day? I'm not planning to at all. I haven't done serious training, I'm not particularly fit , in fact I've had some nasty health issues really slow me down since I booked my trip. So if I want a rest day, or to walk just a few kms in a day, I certainly will~ there seem to be plenty of places to stay options closer together than that. And when I travel, I love just sitting and taking in my surrounding. spending time in churches, and people watching. I look forward to that being quite a part of my soon-to-start Camino :)
Hi, it's not necessary to walk that distance every day. When you have the time take that time. Enjoy every step you take.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hmmm, really, it's necessary to walk that far every day? I'm not planning to at all. I haven't done serious training, I'm not particularly fit , in fact I've had some nasty health issues really slow me down since I booked my trip. So if I want a rest day, or to walk just a few kms in a day, I certainly will~ there seem to be plenty of places to stay options closer together than that. And when I travel, I love just sitting and taking in my surrounding. spending time in churches, and people watching. I look forward to that being quite a part of my soon-to-start Camino :)

Of course it is not necessary to walk that far everyday! You should walk as far as feels good to you. But many people have to catch a flight back home within a fixed time frame and need to walk a certain distance every day to make it to Santiago in time. Not the way I would like to do it, but I've seen quite a lot of people who had calculated 25 km a day and then realized they couldn't do it, at least not for weeks on end, but had not the time to rest or walk shorter daily distances. If you press on then, despite feeling the need to rest or walk shorter daily distances, it's easy to get injured.

Taking it slowly and enjoying your surroundings sounds like a very good plan, so that won't be a problem for you at all. I hope you'll have a great time, buen camino! :)

Hi all!

First of all; this forum rocks! It's extremely helpfull during the preparation for my first Camino, starting on May 10th. Thank you so much, so far.

My biggest concern at this moment is the first stretch to Roncessvalles. I'm planning on staying at Orrisson to cut myself some slack and it seems to ge great experience. But still... I saw some great footage on YouTube and was under the impression that it was gradually steep. After reading some threads here on the forum I start to doubt. Shouldn't I take the Valcarlosroute? I don't want to wear myself out during the first two days nor take a restingday in Roncessvalles. I live in the Netherlands, it's quite difficult to train uphill, since we have no hills or mountains of Amy significance.

I'm reasonably fit, I can walk 20 k's in a day, but I'd still like to hear any opinion about these first two days.

Monique
Hi, Monique and other Camino walkers. Thanks for asking and answering the question about the first day's hike from SJPdP. Monique, did you finish your Camino and what route did you hike from SJPdP? I'm planning to start my Camino on August 16, with reservations for SJPdP, Orrison and Roncesvalles. And reservations about hiking over the Pyrenees. I'm in good shape for a just turning 70 year old woman, wiry and tenacious. However, I'm a lightweight, even though I walk daily and have been walking 5-9 miles with a pack in my area, the Sierra Foothills in Northern California, USA, very hilly, and also hot. I'm still thinking about alternate transportation over the hill! In my past life, I bicycled on coastal roads with traffic and steep hills, backpacked in the mountains. Now I live in this life and have to consider how to start the Camino and enjoy it. Thanks, all, for your sage responses and humor. Buen Camino.

Hi Irenie,
It's extremely difficult to advise you - probably impossible! - as I have never even walked with you...
Just a few comments, remember they're ONLY my personal opinion:
- I think the so called 'Napoleon' route sounds much harder when reading about it than it is when you walk it.
- There's no rush, you can tale a break whenever. I did, I stopped many times, short stops and the added bonus is you take in the views. You also meet many people, as you won't be the only one having a rest!
- When I stopped at Orrisson for a drink, I met many people who had to give up. They were ALL carrying much too heavy loads. I remember a lovely Australian couple, the husband's pack was 27 kg, his wife's not much lighter!
Please, please check the weight of your backpack.
- If you decide it isn't for you, there are alternatives, ask at Orrisson, they're used to it!
And finally, whichever way you go, Buen Camino :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Monique and other Camino walkers. Thanks for asking and answering the question about the first day's hike from SJPdP. Monique, did you finish your Camino and what route did you hike from SJPdP? I'm planning to start my Camino on August 16, with reservations for SJPdP, Orrison and Roncesvalles. And reservations about hiking over the Pyrenees. I'm in good shape for a just turning 70 year old woman, wiry and tenacious. However, I'm a lightweight, even though I walk daily and have been walking 5-9 miles with a pack in my area, the Sierra Foothills in Northern California, USA, very hilly, and also hot. I'm still thinking about alternate transportation over the hill! In my past life, I bicycled on coastal roads with traffic and steep hills, backpacked in the mountains. Now I live in this life and have to consider how to start the Camino and enjoy it. Thanks, all, for your sage responses and humor. Buen Camino.
I went that route last autumn, stopping at Orisson for the night and taking the less steep way down from the col. I was almost 72. It was not hard. Please do not forget that you can choose to send your backpack ahead from SJPDP to Orisson and from Orisson to Roncesvalles without a problem. It would ease the walk over the mountain and might ease your mind about being able to do it. The places you stay at will help you with calling the transport service.

Hi Irenie,

You sound a LOT like me — 70 years old, active, and I play in the Sierra Foothills, too! We should connect — but I don't know how to do that privately here!

I just did the hike over the Pyrenees in May. Did the same as you're planning to do — started in SJ (went a day early so had two nights there), stayed at Orisson (get your reservation early if you haven't already), then on to Roncesvalles.

I had an ankle issue prior to my Camino, so did almost NO training. I'm thinking you're going to do great! Just go at your own pace and you'll get there when you get there.

Unfortunately, my Camino ended in Logrono when I wound up in the hospital with a partial intestinal blockage. I and my docs were hoping to get me back out there, but after 16 days they shipped me home to my own hospital. So mine was a "different" kind of Camino! But I absolutely LOVED the 8 days I spent on The Way! Such memories in such a short time.

You're going to have an awesome time!!!

Hi Monique,
I was 60 1st Camino, (April 19th) with total body fat way above where it should be. I did training walks with my backpack and nordic track, but not mountains, as none local. As others have said the steepest climb is first few km until Orisson. I was dreading it because my body doesn't like ascents, and I was bothered by shin splints prior to departure, but I was fine and huffed and puffed my way up the mountain. I was lucky to get a bed at Orisson as I had not booked or even planned to stay there. I think you will be absolutely fine, (and seem very fit training at 5 km/hr) with walking entire first stage, but do stop at Orisson, and make sure you book. From Orisson to Roncervalles eazy peezee . Depending on weather, the crossing maybe closed and the SJPDP pilgrim office will advise. For me, blue skies and temp around 60 F - a most perfect day on top of the Pyrenees, a meal cooked by French Chef and good company, and I wish the same for you.
Buen Camino,
Janice

Oh lordy - how I hate hills! We have plenty in Central Otago, New Zealand for me to practise on ahead of my Camino next September/October. I find I can always get up to the top eventually but it takes me a bit of time and I'm usually puffing like a damn locomotive by the time I'm there, although my recovery is fairly speedy. This is the only aspect that is making me nervous! Is this the steepest bit of the whole Camino?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mazzy: if your are doing the Camino Frances, I believe the only other remarkable hill is O Cebreiro, around 150km before Santiago. Everything else is not too challenging :)

Mazzy: if your are doing the Camino Frances, I believe the only other remarkable hill is O Cebreiro, around 150km before Santiago. Everything else is not too challenging :)

Well okay - that makes me feel better! I have a year to train so I'll throw a few extra hills in each week - then I'll be able to spring up them like a mountain goat. :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks both!

@Mark Lee : I'm 44 years old.
@Icacos : That's exactly what I worry about. I train in the gym on the treadmill, 7% uphill, speed at 5 k's an hour. I just don't know if that's sufficient to train my muscles.

Hmmm....still very new here, OP is short for?

it all depends what you consider steep on wikiloc what some people grade as easy others grade as moderate to give you an idea ( if you go to gronze.com for very clear gradients) think of the side of a triangle /right angle/ 400metres incline over 5kms is about 45 degree steep 90ms over 1km is about 85 degree steep

ok look at these two gradients from wikiloc the first one didnt feel like there was an incline at all the second one was really steep ( we did it in reverse) up up up.. (although it didnt appear from the graph that it was)

https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-sender...eo-en-batan-de-arriba-batan-de-abajo-19278122

https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-senderismo/p-r-anaga-circular-corta-cuenca-de-los-batanes-24113676

the one 19278122 took us around 2 hours to complete (we walk slow)
the second 24113676 took 5 hours ( it was hard going had to keep stopping)

not that you would walk that slow but it is a comparision of the different gradients from a joe bloggs perspective. even if you are fit you can see the difference in time and effort between the two ( and that was without heavy backpacks)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
400metres incline over 5kms is about 45 degree steep
(400 units / 5000 same units) x 100% = 8% or an angle of 4.6 degrees

90ms over 1km is about 85 degree steep
(90 / 1000) x 100 = 9% or an angle of 5.1 degrees

A typical American interior staircase has steps 8 inches high and 10 inches deep. This is a slope of 80% or an angle of 38.7 degrees. If the rise of the steps were 10 inches the slope would be 100% and the angle 45 degrees.

Highway departments usually sign a warning to trucks on a descent slope of 10% or more.

Last edited:
I recommend running up stairs and walking down - start with one flight

The average gradient for the walk from SJPP to Col de Lepoeder is about 6%. The steepest 5k (last 5k to the summit of course) is about 8%. Then it's downhill all the way to roncesvalles. Your current training should stand you in good stead for your journey.
My experience was that the steepest, most challenging part was before Orisson

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The average gradient for the walk from SJPP to Col de Lepoeder is about 6%. The steepest 5k (last 5k to the summit of course) is about 8%.
A profile of the Route Napoleon is shown at post
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...down-the-pyrenees-to-sjpdp.56752/#post-641552

It shows a rise of about 1,200 meters over a run of about 20,000 meterst to the high point at the Col de Lepoeder. This averages to a 6% slope.

From SJPdP to Orisson it shows a rise of about 650 meters over a run of about7,500 meters. This averages to a 8.7% slope.

At a spot about 4 km from SJPdP it gets steeper. From that spot to Orisson the slope averages about 14.3% (500m/3,500m.)

If you have a hilly park near you with stairs going up slopes of various pitches find out the pitches by dividing the height of the risers of the steps by the depth of the step's thread (run) and multiplying by 100. Practice judging the pitch of the hill by walking up and down beside the stairs.

trying to tell someone the gradient of a hill who doesnt have them is like trying to tell someone with no legs what shoe size they would be.

trying to tell someone the gradient of a hill who doesnt have them is like trying to tell someone with no legs what shoe size they would be.

stairs are manmade and have a scientific/mathematical formula for gradients but hills and mountains are natural and dont follow the same pattern as a stair (although yes they go up but not at an identical angle as a stair)

€46,-
On occasion, I like to go back to the genesis of a thread and thank folks as a Way if saying “hello”.
As to the comments concerning hiking in the Netherlands, South Florida,etc.
A very good friend is a Korps Mariniers Colonel. On a visit to his unit at Texel (elev 7 ft/2m) he had a few days off so we decided to leave the beaches and go hiking in the “mountains”. The next morning (lunch pack on) we stood at the foot of the The Vaalserberg a hill with a height of 322.4 metres (1,058 ft) above NAP and the highest point in mainland Netherlands. Nice hike, good food on the top ( from our pack not the shops) we walked into the forest to dine. A year later he was posted to St Maarten in the Caribbean. “Now”, he said, we will climb the truly highest mountain in the Netherland Mount Scenery ( 887 m (2,910 ft). Since we sailed across to Saba from St Maarten the five days was filled with hiking, sailing and scuba.
As to training in South Florida well...best bet the Akoya condos at 492 ft/ 150 m.
So to get back on point. If you haven’t true mountains where you live, hiking the Napoleon can be a challenge. That said, regardless of your “perceived” fitness level take the first five days slowly. The stages shown in most guides are rough estimates of a “typical” day on the Camino. Those of us that have walked the Way multiple times will tell you that each Camino is different and seldom ever typical.
Buen Csmino
Arn

On occasion, I like to go back to the genesis of a thread and thank folks as a Way if saying “hello”.
As to the comments concerning hiking in the Netherlands, South Florida,etc.
A very good friend is a Korps Mariniers Colonel. On a visit to his unit at Texel (elev 7 ft/2m) he had a few days off so we decided to leave the beaches and go hiking in the “mountains”. The next morning (lunch pack on) we stood at the foot of the The Vaalserberg a hill with a height of 322.4 metres (1,058 ft) above NAP and the highest point in mainland Netherlands. Nice hike, good food on the top ( from our pack not the shops) we walked into the forest to dine. A year later he was posted to St Maarten in the Caribbean. “Now”, he said, we will climb the truly highest mountain in the Netherland Mount Scenery ( 887 m (2,910 ft). Since we sailed across to Saba from St Maarten the five days was filled with hiking, sailing and scuba.
As to training in South Florida well...best bet the Akoya condos at 492 ft/ 150 m.
So to get back on point. If you haven’t true mountains where you live, hiking the Napoleon can be a challenge. That said, regardless of your “perceived” fitness level take the first five days slowly. The stages shown in most guides are rough estimates of a “typical” day on the Camino. Those of us that have walked the Way multiple times will tell you that each Camino is different and seldom ever typical.
Buen Csmino
Arn
Hey Arn I like that story and the photo what a fetching man you look :) lots of wisdom in your post :) :)

€46,-
Thanks for this question about incline from SJDP to Roncesvalle. I found the inputs very helpful including on the training required.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back