• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • Hi Please note that the posts below are created automatically when a new Resource is created in the Camino Resource section. Users can only make replies to the topics below, not create new threads.

Buen Camino!
    Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Resource icon

How The Camino Via De La Plata(VDLP) Is Different From The Camino Frances 2020-12-07

No permission to download

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
Kevin considine submitted a new resource:

How The Camino Via De La Plata(VDLP) Is Different From The Camino Frances - Comparing Camino VDLP to Camino Frances

This is one peregrino’s perspective so admittedly biased but I also talked with many other VDLP peregrino's to confirm these points.
--------
1. LONGER: Via de la Plata (VDLP) is 1000 kilometers vs. 790 kilometers on Camino Frances.

2. LESS INFRASTRUCTURE: Fairly often you have to walk 15-30k with no Cafe or tienda(shop) to stop for food and drink. Also there are stretches where you have to walk as far as 30k to get to the next Alberguefor a bed.

3. LESS FLEXIBILITY REQUIRING MORE...

Read more about this resource...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did not walk the Camino Frances so I cannot compare the CF with the VdlP from experience. Most of the points you made about the VdlP are correct and were known to me before walking the VdlP as my first camino. In fact your points in great part sum up my reasons for this choice. We differ probably in how we appreciate the differences Another year I walked the last stages of the CF (after walking the Primitivo) and came to the conclusion that this is not for me: to crowded, many people too "fun-oriented", too commercial and so on ( I realise that the fact that my experiences were in the last 100 km influences my judgement. In the earlier stages of the CF the crowds will not be do big)
By the way, I am one those old men who don't see a problem walking in the dormitory in underpants)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back