• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How things change

Status
Not open for further replies.

freespirit

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Lourdes v SJPDP - Santiago (June/July 2010) Camino Frances - SJPDP - Santiago (July/August 2015) Camino Frances - SJPDP - Santiago (June/July/August 2017)
freespirit has asked that this post be deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I feel your pain, freespirit.
Instead of giving up, I might suggest you try walking different routes?
Some, like the Madrid, are much less traveled and less commercialized.

Whatever we might think of the last 100 km - and there are lots of threads about it on this forum - our opinion does not count. The majority of pilgrims on the last 100km are Spanish, especially in August. Santiago is their patron saint. Santiago de Compostella is their city. They spend the most money on that section. We are just a handful of foreigners.

No one likes to be told how they should be running their country. I've come across this many times in the Middle East where I lived for 20 years. The beautiful unique country I lived in and loved has been systematically trashed over the past couple of decades and anyone who protested was on a one way ticket home.

Thankfully the rest of the camino frances was not quite like the last 100km.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Everything changes in this world, nothing remains unchanged with time.

As Felice said above there are many threads on the forum about this matter. This is just another one.

I sorry to read you are thinking of not walking the Camino again. Please walk it again another one , it doesn't have to be the Camino Frances but don't walk it outward walk it inward. If you do you'll understand what I mean.

Ondo Ibili !

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
So sorry to hear your opinion of the Camino has changed so dramatically.I can understand that the Sarria to SDC can be a shock if all before has been quiet or even walked in solitude.Many of those walking the "last 100 k are unable to devote more time to the Camino,or may even be walking the last part of several years of part Camino's.Many are walking for a charity,raising funds for different causes.We who are or were lucky enough to walk all " The Way " can feel 'superior' to the others,but we have no right to think their Camino means any less than ours.The increase in shops selling Camino related items is inevitable as the local people who run these shops are responding to the increased demand from us ,the pilgrims,and they must also make a living.It matters not how far one walks,but that they walked.I pray the memories of the good times you had on Camino will wipe out other memories in time,and that you have peace.

Please understand that the OP is entitled to express an opinion and frustration.
Do not make personal remarks directed at other members based on their opinions.

Personal remarks and attacks will continue to be edited.

Thanks for understanding.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It has occurred to me that those folks who can only walk the last 100km on the CF (or other route) must experience a completely different Camino than those who start much further back. Many people do not have the time or budget or physical ability to walk further or longer.
The memories and experiences on those last kms have no connection to a longer route.

I have walked the other routes that join the CF at the last few days for the last few years and have always been blown away by the different experience. Yet....those walking from Sarria or other minimum points seem to be as enthusiastic as the long walkers. Strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back