• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to Avoid Road Walking on the Camino Portugues

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Primitivo in Sept this year 2019
Hello, I'm planning to walk the Camino Portuguese in May this year, starting in Porto. I've been told that there is a lot of road walking, which I would prefer to avoid. It's been suggested that if I combine various routes, this can be mostly avoided. My question - can anyone please advise me on how to avoid road walking? I don't mind leaving one route for another if necessary. I walked the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to SDC in September 2019 and loved every minute of it. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Having just completed the central route in October I would take the coastal out of Porto and cross over to the central after a couple of days. I found the largest portion of road walking (and the loudest) was taking the traditional central route out of Porto. The first 2 days were not enjoyable for the wife and me because of the roads, cars and noise. When we returned to Porto after completing our walk we took a bus to Matosinhos just to see what that looked like and it looked quite pleasant.

When we returned to Porto after completing our walk we took a bus to Matosinhos just to see what that looked like and it looked quite pleasant.
I spent my first day leaving Porto on the Senda Litoral (coastal route) ending in Matosinhos. I continued the following day as far as Vila do Conda and stayed the night before turning inland to join the central route; all was quite lovely and I thought it was a good decision.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello, I'm planning to walk the Camino Portuguese in May this year, starting in Porto. I've been told that there is a lot of road walking, which I would prefer to avoid. It's been suggested that if I combine various routes, this can be mostly avoided. My question - can anyone please advise me on how to avoid road walking? I don't mind leaving one route for another if necessary. I walked the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to SDC in September 2019 and loved every minute of it. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Hi Ruchira,

We are flying into Porto on 4/29 and plan on going to the cathedral and walking to Matosinhos via the coastal. Best wishes!

Following

I would recommend you the coastal with the spiritual variante. It was really amazing with a few roads… ok but overall it was maybe 10% overall. Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Our first two days out of Porto on the central route were absolutely miserable, even though we ended up at nice places to stay. Too much road walking, first seemingly forever on the streets of Porto, then later with no shoulder. This is true, unfortunately, for much of the central route as well the Camino Portugues before Porto. We ended up zigzagging after that, putting together a delightful camino. On the central, Ponte de Lima is a jewel. We stayed in Valenca and loved it, walking across the bridge to spend a few hours in Tui. One of our most delightful days was walking west all along the Minho River from Valenca/Tui to A Guarda. It's a wonderful path and the only day of a our camino walk when were the only peregrinos. The coastal path from A Guarda is gorgeous. If you have time, walk the Variante Espiritual which includes the boat ride to Padron.

I spent my first day leaving Porto on the Senda Litoral (coastal route) ending in Matosinhos. I continued the following day as far as Vila do Conda and stayed the night before turning inland to join the central route; all was quite lovely and I thought it was a good decision.
I did the same in September last year and it was a great walk.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Our first two days out of Porto on the central route were absolutely miserable, even though we ended up at nice places to stay. Too much road walking, first seemingly forever on the streets of Porto, then later with no shoulder. This is true, unfortunately, for much of the central route as well the Camino Portugues before Porto. We ended up zigzagging after that, putting together a delightful camino. On the central, Ponte de Lima is a jewel. We stayed in Valenca and loved it, walking across the bridge to spend a few hours in Tui. One of our most delightful days was walking west all along the Minho River from Valenca/Tui to A Guarda. It's a wonderful path and the only day of a our camino walk when were the only peregrinos. The coastal path from A Guarda is gorgeous. If you have time, walk the Variante Espiritual which includes the boat ride to Padron.
THank you for this very helpful info. After reading your post, I have decided I will zig zag too. Curious if you read or followed a certain book to decide where and how to zig zag, or did you piece different posts to figure out how to do it. Thanks in advance for any tips in this regard.
I agree! If the OP is still in the planning stages I hope she makes the time to include walking it. It was a real highlight for me.
I am not the OP but I am following this thread since I am going on or around March 24, and I will make the time to include this in my walk based upon the opinions expressed in this thread.

I appreciate the question and all the responses, I am also planning the Portuguese Camino the end of May, This will be my first trip I’m looking for all the help I can get. Thank you everyone.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
THank you for this very helpful info. After reading your post, I have decided I will zig zag too. Curious if you read or followed a certain book to decide where and how to zig zag, or did you piece different posts to figure out how to do it. Thanks in advance for any tips in this regard.

I am not the OP but I am following this thread since I am going on or around March 24, and I will make the time to include this in my walk based upon the opinions expressed in this thread.
We did not plan this. We expected to walk the central route, but after two days, which included collapsing from heat exhaustion, we decided we had to make course corrections. And we did many along the way. But this is the kind of peregrinos we have been over the years. We plan in excruciating detail, researching and enjoying the research. But we have never, to my recollection, followed exactly our planned itinerary. After walking our first camino, in which we were three days ahead of our itinerary after the first week, we still aimed for places we wanted to visit, but looked for all the options getting there.

To be frank, on previous caminos, course corrections were course corrections. From Porto, the only way to describe what we did is zigzagging. And to be clear, a few times this required taking buses, which we also found not unpleasant at all. Like the boat ride, you can look all around you rather than down at your feet or what lies immediately ahead.

Read up on the most scenic routes, the most safest routes, the most interesting cities, towns and villages. You may be able to put together an itinerary in advance that you can hold to. But it will be complicated, I can assure you. Bom/buen camino!

Having just completed the central route in October I would take the coastal out of Porto and cross over to the central after a couple of days. I found the largest portion of road walking (and the loudest) was taking the traditional central route out of Porto. The first 2 days were not enjoyable for the wife and I because of the roads, cars and noise. When we returned to Porto after completing our walk we took a bus to Matosinhos just to see what that looked like and it looked quite pleasant.
Thank you for this info. I had heard about busy narrow roads, no shoulder etc so I'm guessing that's leaving Porto on the central route.. I'll look into leaving Porto via the coastal route. Thanks again!

Hi Ruchira,

We are flying into Porto on 4/29 and plan on going to the cathedral and walking to Matosinhos via the coastal. Best wishes!
Hi Scott,
I'll probably just miss you as I plan to spend a few days in Lisbon before heading up to Porto, early May. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Having just completed the central route in October I would take the coastal out of Porto and cross over to the central after a couple of days. I found the largest portion of road walking (and the loudest) was taking the traditional central route out of Porto. The first 2 days were not enjoyable for the wife and I because of the roads, cars and noise. When we returned to Porto after completing our walk we took a bus to Matosinhos just to see what that looked like and it looked quite pleasant.
Thank you for this info. I had heard about busy narrow roads, no shoulder etc so I'm guessing that's leaving Porto on the central route.. I'll look into leaving Porto via the coastal route. Thanks again!
There is a forum for CP starting from Porto. I believe this forum is for those doing the CP starting from Lisbon.
Thank you! I'll look into that 🙏🏼

Thank you so much for this info. I've photographed your message and will use your suggestions as a guide🙏🏼

There is a forum for CP starting from Porto. I believe this forum is for those doing the CP starting from Lisbon.
Actually this subforum is for all of the Central route and includes those starting anywhere along it - Lisbon, Coimbra, Porto, Tui, etc.
There is another subforum for the Coastal route, which starts in Porto.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I appreciate the question and all the responses, I am also planning the Portuguese Camino the end of May, This will be my first trip I’m looking for all the help I can get. Thank you everyone.
I am also planning the Portuguese Camino end of May :) following these posts…

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked out of Porto on the Central Route. It took the best part of the first day to walk through the urban and some light industrial areas, but after that one is in a semi-rural environment. I had no difficulty walking through these areas where so many people live and work. It mightn't have the same aesthetic appeal as the historic centre, or the relaxing charm of more rural places, but I found it an interesting walk nonetheless.

I walked out of Porto on the Central Route. It took the best part of the first day to walk through the urban and some light industrial areas, but after that one is in a semi-rural environment. I had no difficulty walking through these areas where so many people live and work. It mightn't have the same aesthetic appeal as the historic centre, or the relaxing charm of more rural places, but I found it an interesting walk nonetheless.
Thank you! It's good to hear directly from a person who has experienced walking directly out of Porto, on the central route, finding it agreeable. More to think about..... 🙏🏼

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That was what I did, too, and didn't regret it. All roads in Portugal are not equal, and not all are equally painful. It's the cobblestone roads you've got to watch out for, which seem more prominent in Portugal.

That’s not quite right. Not that it really matters, but there is a sub-forum for the “Coastal route from Porto” and there is also a sub-forum for the Central Route (which starts in Lisbon and goes through Porto). Inevitably some of the threads discussing walking from Porto meander back and forth between Coastal and Central routes, so strict categorization is impossible.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We are looking at the Minho River walk, too, but someone elsewhere said there was very little shade and no cafes along the trail, yikes! So now we're thinking we'll do the Lima River walk from Ponte de Lima to Viana do Castelo. Would love to hear from anyone who has walked either of these river trails!

We are looking at the Minho River walk, too, but someone elsewhere said there was very little shade and no cafes along the trail, yikes! So now we're thinking we'll do the Lima River walk from Ponte de Lima to Viana do Castelo. Would love to hear from anyone who has walked either of these river trails!
Minho River walk memory: I don't recall a lack of shade, but my memory of the walk from Valenca on the south side of the river is vague. It was an early morning start. Nothing memorable. When we got to the bridge that crosses into Spain, we continued a bit further on the Portuguese side to grab a coffee in the lovely town that had homes stretching from the water up the hillside. Lovely. Once you cross the bridge to the north side into Spain, it's a lovely shaded walk all the way to A Guarda, with a mountain in the distance for much of the way providing a perfect backdrop for photos. The Spanish side is essentially one long park. There were cafes as one would expect in here and there along the way. What would a Spanish park be without a cafe???

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back