• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to Become a Hospitalero/a?

John Hussey

I was curious how one might volunteer to become a hospitalero/a. I am bi-lingual, speaking English and Spanish and have some spare time

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
where are you living, there is going to be a course here in victoria B.C. canada in november. it is best to have this before volunteering.
i am also interested.
dawn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
how to become an hospitalero/a

Hi John,
Great to hear from someone who wants to put something back into the pilgrimage as hospitalero.
As Jeff001 says, the Confraternity of St. James, England, have two refugios, one at Rabanal del Camino, just after Astorga on the Camino Frances and a second on the Camino del Norte.
Your qualifications are perfect for what the CSJ ask for - to have done the pilgrimage and have some Spanish.
I'm not trying to top Jeff but having worked at Rabanal I can tell you that the Hospitalero Co-ordinator for Rabanal is Tricia Shaw and she will be able to help you re Rabanal but will also be able to give you the E-mail address of the Co-ordinator who deals with the refugio 'Miraz' on the Camino del Norte'. If you deal only with the CSJ it ties you to their own refugios but the advantage is that for your first period, at least in Rabanal, you would work with experienced hospitaleros.
However there is also, I believe, some sort of central co-ordination within Spain, whereby you can volunteer and they will allocate you to a refugio. Again, I think the CSJ could help you with this.
So finally Tricia Shaw's e-mail address for CSJ information:
stuartandtricia@btinternet.com

Best wishes,
Brendan

I've done the Camino twice (the co-ordinators want people who have done the Way at least once) and recently finished a 2 week stint at the guest house in León as hospedero. It was an excellent experience. It teaches one flexiblity, openness and ceertainly tests your endurance. It's a lot more demanding (depending on the guesthouse) than you might image.
But it's also good to have something more than the Spanish and English. I would up with "cheat sheets" of the basic comments (How old are you? What nationality? etc in Italian, German, French...
and while there were a few pilgirms I was happy to see the back of, most gave me a bit more faith in my fellow humans.
But if there are problems, it will be with the fellow volunteers. The pilgirm is on the way the next morning. You have to live and work with the other volunteeer (s) for 2 weeks. But go for it. And the best reason is to give something back to the Camino. After all, it gave me so much.

allaban
Castellon
Spain

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back