• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to best get from Madrid airport to train station for train to Pamplona?

Mark Barnes

Old Engineer
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - September - November (2017)
I have looked, and maybe missed, but not seen what train station to go to catch a train from Madrid airport to Pamplona. What train station does the train to Pamplona leave from as there is more than one train station in Madrid. What is the best way to get from Madrid airport to the train station needed to catch train to Madrid. I arrive in Madrid at 9:00am September 21, 2017 and want to get a train to Pamplona that same day. Thank you in advance for any information you can share.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Renfe and Cercanias offices are in T-4 at Madrid. You can buy your ticket to Pamplona there, and it includes the train ride from the airport to the train stations. The shuttle train runs every 3o minutes, and the ride is about another 20 minutes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Or you could catch a bus from T4 at the airport to Pamplona. The bus takes longer but by the time you travel into Madrid itself to catch the train it's about the same. Have a look at the ALSA website for details. I'm doing the same trip to Pamplona and decided the bus is easier, especially after a long flight. Cheers

Hello Mark, If you are using the RENFE horarios (schedule ) app. and it gives you a choice of train stations in Madrid, use "todas", all. When a schedule appears and the bottom corner says detales, details, click that and it will tell you the train station. My train from Madrid to Pamplona left from Atocha and the train returning from SdC arrived at Chamartin.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have looked, and maybe missed, but not seen what train station to go to catch a train from Madrid airport to Pamplona. What train station does the train to Pamplona leave from as there is more than one train station in Madrid. What is the best way to get from Madrid airport to the train station needed to catch train to Madrid. I arrive in Madrid at 9:00am September 21, 2017 and want to get a train to Pamplona that same day. Thank you in advance for any information you can share.

Mark, here is a blog I did that might be helpful (with photos).

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2013/12/getting-from-madrid-to-pamplona-and.html

For a couple hundred Eruos, you can fly directly to Pamplona. You will need to change planes in Madrid. A 1 hour plane ride is a lot better than 5 hours on a bus! If you are flying on Iberia, you can get this all on one ticket.

-Paul

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For a couple hundred Eruos, you can fly directly to Pamplona. You will need to change planes in Madrid. A 1 hour plane ride is a lot better than 5 hours on a bus! If you are flying on Iberia, you can get this all on one ticket.

-Paul
Yes you can fly to Pamplona but then you will miss the beautiful country....groves of olives trees, fields so sunflowers, and perhaps some windmills, and more. The train takes about half the time as the bus and is a great way to get a taste of Spain before you embark upon your Camino. The train to Pamplona leaves from Atocha, which, by the way, is a beautiful station and is a great place to relax after your flight.

I'm in the same boat (er, train/bus) quandary as Mark except a week or so earlier. Thanks for posting the question, Mark. Is there any advantage to pre-purchasing the train ticket from Madrid to Pamplona? Cost/availability the same?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is there any advantage to pre-purchasing the train ticket from Madrid to Pamplona? Cost/availability the same?
If your plane is late or baggage delayed, you will have to eat the cost of a take-or-pay pre-purchased ticket. Trains are occasionally full, but it is rare enough compared to an airplane being late that I always purchase my ticket at the Renfe counter in terminal T-4. Don't forget about the airport free shuttle time to get from some other terminal to T-4. I wandered for a half-hour once looking for the shuttle bus stop. I was amazed how many airport employees and information counters lack guidance to the shuttle...

There are two stations in Madrid.

Trains to Pamplona leave from Puerta de Atocha.

Renfe Cercanias commuter trains leave every 30 minutes from Airport T4. This is the fastest if you are at T4 and you don't have to wait the full 30 minutes for the next train.

Madrid Metro leaves from T1T2T3 and from T4. Transfers are required. Runs every 10 minutes or so (depending on time of day) Allow an hour.

EMT Madrid operates airport bus #203 from several stops at the airport to Puerta de Atocha where it terminates. Sked is every 20 minutes.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back