• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to decide where to stop each night

work2travel

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese
HI, I am starting my walk the first week of May from Porto on the Central Route. I am just curious how people decide where to stay each night? Do you plan ahead or just want until you can't walk any more? Or another way? I am not pressed for time, but would like to walk from Porto to Santiago in about 10-14 days. Not sure where to stop each night. And what are good places to spend a rest day on this route?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walk until one or more of:
  • you feel like it is time to stop
  • you meet up with someone you want to stop with
  • you realize you must get to a point in order to meet a fixed schedule
  • it's dark
  • you arrive at a place where you have a reservation
  • you realize you can't/don't want to walk as far as the next accommodation or transport spot

Last edited:
@C clearly's answer is super...exactly.
I most often play it by ear, unless I'm walking a less traveled way where there's no choice of where to stop.
But where you're going there will be choice.

Often I find that if I plan ahead and think I want to stop at a certain place (or don't want to stop at a certain place)...that when I get there and see things as they really are, all the planning goes out the window.

So don't overthink it, and consider ditching the planning altogether, and just go with how you feel in the moment. You'll know when to stop...
If that's too out of your comfort zone, that;s OK - do plan, but play with stretching a bit by holding the planning lightly. Try stopping where you may not have thought to stop...and see how it goes. The more you do this and it actually works, the more relaxed you'll get about it all.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If it makes you feel better you can plan out a list of stops you like the look of in 4 - 5 kilometre increments for the whole route, that way if you change something one day you won't lose your entire plan. You'll fall into a rhythm pretty quickly. Your timetable is fine so you won't have to rush, I'd suggest picking a few areas you'd quite like to stop in an aiming for those - if plans change thats ok too! Don't forget that often albergues can be on the edge of towns so make sure you factor the distance to the albergue (not just to the town) into your decision, as that could add a few more kilometres when you're already pretty tired!

Just saw you were looking for rest day suggestions too - I quite liked Viana do Castelo which is early on but worked for us.

Well I read a recommendation for maybe planing you first nights with not too long distances. It gave me a feeling of security to know where I would sleep after a long day.

But then I grew more confident and stopped when I felt like it. If you walking pre season it’s a good idea to call and see if they are open that day. Not a reservation, but at least you don’t stand at a closed door.

I learnt fast for me 20 km I can do, but skipping a leg 34 km was too much. Well I did it but at a cost.

rest days in my experience depends on your condition and are necessary to recup.
Just see if you like the place. I had planned some beach days but with non stop rain and coldness.....

A jiddish proverb: Mensch tracht und Gott lacht. (Men plans and God laughs)

Bon Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think it depends on your requirement(s) for accommodation.
Some of my friends insist to stay in places where there are private bathrooms, then they have to stop where such accommodation exists.

Hi
Do you have a guide? Showing you different stops and accommodation available?
This is usually where you decide where you’ll stay. If staying at an Albergue., there may only be one in the village.
Usually on the Portugués you’ll see others en route.

You can get the Brierley guide for this route or on line you can check the ‘ gronze.com ‘. The Portugués is one of many on that site

Buen Camino
Annie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back