• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to end, walking the LePuy Camino?

Time of past OR future Camino
From Le Puy to Santiago (2016)
I'm planning my Camino for 2016 walking from LePuy to meet up with the Camino Frances on the Spanish border. I'm wondering if there is any specially good place to end that part of my Camino. I have no idea if I ever will get the chance to do the Spanish part so this is probably my one chance to walk for so long. I'm not into big tourist places (like Lourdes which I found very touristy when I was there many years ago. ) Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've gone to Pau for two nights. Very relaxing, free bus circles the center of town, good transport connections. But two nights us plenty.

I've also gone to Bayonne and used it as a base to visit Biarritz by local bus and St. Jean de Luz by rail. Again two nights does it.

Much depends on how much time you have, where you've travelled before, and your route home.

I've gone to Pau for two nights. Very relaxing, free bus circles the center of town, good transport connections. But two nights us plenty.

I've also gone to Bayonne and used it as a base to visit Biarritz by local bus and St. Jean de Luz by rail. Again two nights does it.

Much depends on how much time you have, where you've travelled before, and your route home.
I was thinking of crossing the Pyrenees and then taking a train back to Lyon to fly to the US again. But what do you think is special about the places you mentioned?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm planning my Camino for 2016 walking from LePuy to meet up with the Camino Frances on the Spanish border. I'm wondering if there is any specially good place to end that part of my Camino. I have no idea if I ever will get the chance to do the Spanish part so this is probably my one chance to walk for so long. I'm not into big tourist places (like Lourdes which I found very touristy when I was there many years ago. ) Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks
For sure walk from St. Jean to Roncesvalles if you can. The experience of being a weather-beaten pilgrim at the end of your trip out on the trail with a bunch of first-timers will be cool, and that stage is just stunning. The albergue at Roncesvalles is really special and would make a great end to your trip. Get a bed far from the door if you can,

Roncesvalles monastery would not only be an appropriate place to personally celebrate the success of your completed Le Puy camino but also from which to continue your personal camino of life. For more re Roncesvalles see this link.

then taking a train back to Lyon
Trains generally do not do that. The only operating crossing point is on the Barcelona side of Spain, eventually to Toulouse and Paris. With a train change at the border crossing at Irun, you also can get train service to Bordeaux. Getting to Lyon will require some connections. If you just want a long train ride, though, it is possible.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For sure walk from St. Jean to Roncesvalles if you can. The experience of being a weather-beaten pilgrim at the end of your trip out on the trail with a bunch of first-timers will be cool, and that stage is just stunning. The albergue at Roncesvalles is really special and would make a great end to your trip. Get a bed far from the door if you can,
Thank you so much. Sounds like great advice :0)

Is it then possible to take a bus to Pamplona, and another to San Sebastian? I know I traveled on train through San Sebastian from Paris once. Or, go on to Madrid and fly back to the US from there? Any suggestions welcome :0)

I would walk over the mountain as far as Roncesvalles it will be a nice finish and give you a taste of the Spanish part.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a bus that leaves Roncesvalles in the morning and goes to the Pamplona bus station where you can connect to many places, including the Irun train station.

At Irun, you have the option of a short walk across the border to the Hendaye train station where you can catch domestic trains to French destinations.

I ended up in Pamplona after hesitating in Saint-Jean due to the risky conditions in 2010 (in late May!). Finally took the Valcarlos route just to get a whiff of Spain. I found Pamplona to be a great town and easy place to start again, which I did the next year.

Getting back to Paris from Pamplona was fun and easy: some ocean days in San Sebastian, a train/bus thing from Hendaye and a long stop-over in Bordeaux because I always prefer to break a trip in an interesting way. (My post CF stopover the following year on the way back to Madrid was Segovia, where I became very attached to an aqueduct. I try to tell myself it's just a big gutter but...)

I loved the Le Puy route so much I'm hoping to go back to Le Puy late this year to do the Regordane Way or Stevenson (or both).

I doubt you'll be disappointed, Flemming, no matter where you choose to end...or pause!

Bon chemin

Rob

I spent a whole day in Roncesvalles and found it a magical place, given its history and former wealth and importance. During the morning - after the departure of those who are starting there or had come from Saint Jean Pied de Port the day before and before the arrival of the next wave - you probably have it more or less to yourself ;-). I did a guided tour of the small museum which has some interesting items and the other buildings (church, chapel, etc) and attended mass. Part of the former monestary complex has been converted into a hotel ("Hotel Roncesvalles") and I very much enjoyed my stay there. You could also make an excursion to Pamplona, there are good taxi and bus connections.
I really like that Idea. I am not for large places with thousand of people so ending my pilgrimage in a monastery sounds fantastic.
I ended up in Pamplona after hesitating in Saint-Jean due to the risky conditions in 2010 (in late May!). Finally took the Valcarlos route just to get a whiff of Spain. I found Pamplona to be a great town and easy place to start again, which I did the next year.

Getting back to Paris from Pamplona was fun and easy: some ocean days in San Sebastian, a train/bus thing from Hendaye and a long stop-over in Bordeaux because I always prefer to break a trip in an interesting way. (My post CF stopover the following year on the way back to Madrid was Segovia, where I became very attached to an aqueduct. I try to tell myself it's just a big gutter but...)

I loved the Le Puy route so much I'm hoping to go back to Le Puy late this year to do the Regordane Way or Stevenson (or both).

I doubt you'll be disappointed, Flemming, no matter where you choose to end...or pause!

Bon chemin

Rob

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the info. Sounds like Pamplona is the way to continue to Madrid. I took the train from San Sebastian to Segovia many lives ago!!!! and my wife (then girlfriend) and I slept on a hill overlooking the beautiful city. Then we hitchiked to Burgos, Barcelona, Andora and all the way back to Trier where we lived at the time. A fantastic trip. I'm definitely looking forward to walk the Via Podiensis

We walked SJpdP to SdC last September and plan on Le Puy to Cahors this Sept. I agree with above advice to walk to Roncesvalles, a fabulous walk to an historic village. You can catch bus to Pamplona then train to Madrid for return to US: much simpler than returening to France.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Bon chemin

Rob

I might be heading out to do the Stevenson too in the Autumn - might bump into you on the way! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Irishgurrl, what's the Stvenson? I'm leaning towards starting from LePuy beginning of May.

Hi - its a route reputedly taken by the Scottish writer Robert Louis Stevenson (Treasure Island etc) and which he wrote a book about called Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes.
The route (GR70) now starts in Le Puy en Velay even though this is not the original starting point (which actually is Le Monastier-sur-Gazeille near enough to Le Puy) and is about 270km long depending on where you decide to start or finish...
I kept hearing about it on my trip along the Le Puy Route this year so I am hoping to get to do it in September all going well. When someone tells you its even more beautiful than the Le Puy Route ya just gotta take notice! ;)

Here is the official website for the route - it has a downloadable guide and all the info you need to complete the hike. http://chemin-stevenson.org/en/

Hi - its a route reputedly taken by the Scottish writer Robert Louis Stevenson (Treasure Island etc) and which he wrote a book about called Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes.
The route (GR70) now starts in Le Puy en Velay even though this is not the original starting point (which actually is Le Monastier-sur-Gazeille near enough to Le Puy) and is about 270km long depending on where you decide to start or finish...
I kept hearing about it on my trip along the Le Puy Route this year so I am hoping to get to do it in September all going well. When someone tells you its even more beautiful than the Le Puy Route ya just gotta take notice! ;)

Here is the official website for the route - it has a downloadable guide and all the info you need to complete the hike. http://chemin-stevenson.org/en/
Looks beautiful and perfect for a route to return to for sure. Have a great walk if you make it down there in September :0)

Yes, yes, yes,... very good idea!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back