• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to find a meal on a busy Sunday in Viana - are we doing it wrong?

Katherine Radeka

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2023)
Camino Portuguese (2024)
Hi,

We are in Viana and we are having trouble finding food for today.

It’s a Sunday afternoon and it is busy busy busy. I have only basic Spanish.

We got into town at about 2:30 in the afternoon, and immediately started looking for food thinking we would be able to get a Menu somewhere.

Everywhere we tried was already “Completo” even places with Menus Peligrinos.

I managed to find coffee at a bar that didn’t serve any food. We are staying in a hotel and the front desk clerk doesn’t have any ideas.

I am so tired and hungry at this point that I am not sure how or what to ask for.

Should I ask for help make a reservation for dinner? Are places even open for dinner on Sunday?

Is there something else I should be asking for or looking for?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

We are in Viana and we are having trouble finding food for today.

It’s a Sunday afternoon and it is busy busy busy. I have only basic Spanish.

We got into town at about 2:30 in the afternoon, and immediately started looking for food thinking we would be able to get a Menu somewhere.

Everywhere we tried was already “Completo” even places with Menus Peligrinos.

I managed to find coffee at a bar that didn’t serve any food. We are staying in a hotel and the front desk clerk doesn’t have any ideas.

I am so tired and hungry at this point that I am not sure how or what to ask for.

Should I ask for help make a reservation for dinner? Are places even open for dinner on Sunday?

Is there something else I should be asking for or looking for?

This might be the reason why it is busy in Viana.
Local fiestas!

Maybe find yourself a tapasbar earlier in the evening when the crowds are not yet in.

And always follow the locals!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I hope you have resolved this by now. Can you google map restaurants/bars and go to one not centrally located? Perhaps some one can make calls for you if you dot have enough Spanish. Bars are probably a better bet for the tapas

The Hotel Palacio de Pujadas
is centrally located, at calle Navarro Villoslada 24 , tele.+34 948 64 64 64.
It has 2 very good restaurants plus a large welcoming bar. Try for a meal or a drink and tapas. ..Years past when staying at the nearby municipal pilgrim albergue I always enjoyed eating here.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the help. I think we will try tapas. We haven’t had that experience yet.

In the meantime my sweet husband pulled out chocolate-laden trail mix and made me eat some.

Ironically we are at Palacio de Pujadas where the front desk clerk didn’t have ideas. Hotel’s restaurant closed today. Bar very busy and out of food (but could have been asking for the wrong thing in my poor Spanish).

is centrally located, has 2 very good restaurants plus a large welcoming bar. Try for a meal or a drink and tapas. ..Years past when staying at the nearby municipal pilgrim albergue I always enjoyed eating here.
I think we had a lunch snack there, but they quit serving food early afternoon.

Oddly enough, we found food salvation in a butcher shop when we faced this issue in 2019. Some have ready made sandwiches or at least ready-to-eat smoked meats to go - not exactly a balanced diet, but it’s sustenance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
We ventured out at 6 PM and Things had calmed down a lot. We found a menu de peligrino at Café La Rua.

Sat next to a delightful French couple from Lyon.

Lesson learned: carry some extra food and don’t let myself get so hungry I can’t see straight.
Thanks for your update. Glad that you did not go to bed hungry. Enjoy your walk today towards Logrono.

Thanks for the help. I think we will try tapas. We haven’t had that experience yet.

In the meantime my sweet husband pulled out chocolate-laden trail mix and made me eat some.

Ironically we are at Palacio de Pujadas where the front desk clerk didn’t have ideas. Hotel’s restaurant closed today. Bar very busy and out of food (but could have been asking for the wrong thing in my poor Spanish).
Breakfast = Desayuno, Lunch = Almuerzo, Dinner = Cena.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sundays are holidays are the only days I try to keep tabs on during a camino. I think everyone should always have some food when they walk. Most days I carry my lunch and if it is Sunday and or fiesta days I will probably carry dinner too.
This might be the reason why it is busy in Viana.
Local fiestas!
FIestas are often more difficult than Sundays when it comes finding food.
If you google fiestas and holidays in Spain you will find websites that list national holidays and fiestas by region and city/town by date.
I always check this before I go and put it in my calendar with a reminder the day before the holiday and festival is scheduled. In this way I know to shop for even more things to be prepared.
I think this is a lesson we all learn the hard way.

is centrally located, at calle Navarro Villoslada 24 , tele.+34 948 64 64 64.
It has 2 very good restaurants plus a large welcoming bar. Try for a meal or a drink and tapas. ..Years past when staying at the nearby municipal pilgrim albergue I always enjoyed eating here.
Agree we were just there on a Sunday and this was the only place serving

I hope you enjoyed the amazing breakfast buffet at the Palacio de Padujas if they still do it. We had omelets and eggs to order! And made sandwiches to go with all the breads cheeses and meats. Old pilgrims secret!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Even on ordinary days we have struggled to understand the food scene - always arriving when it’s over!! I found this article helpful -🤞😊

On one Camino, I arrived in a town that had absolutely no shops or restaurants for food. The closest town was a serious drive away. The albergue, heaven forbid, did not have any food. In fact, it did not have a kitchen. It had some bowls and an immersion heater in a "pantry.".
A gentleman, Olivie, who was in the albergue with me, had some bars of chocolate. I had a packet of dry soup mix that I always carried for emergencies. Well, this was an "emergency."
We had a meal of soup (using water from the bathroom sink), chocolate, and some crackers that previous pilgrims had left in the "pantry." We used our own utensils.
Sometimes, this happens. It's just the Camino workin' its magic mojo. Be prepared.

And the lady with the key to this albergue insisted that I gift her my one and only pencil.
Yes, "gift." Not "give."
I did not, pretending I didn't speak Spanish.
Who knew THAT would come in handy!!
This is the same albergue where I lost my pants and a priest in the next town found them.
Long story. 🙄

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And the lady with the key to this albergue insisted that I gift her my one and only pencil.
Yes, "gift." Not "give."
This is the same albergue where I lost my pants and a priest in the next town found them.
Long story. 🙄
I crave the moderators' indulgence to allow you to expand the "long story"!

Yes, "gift." Not "give."
Long story. 🙄

Wow, good story, and a reminder to always try to have a little something in reserve in the backpack. I bet no powdered dry soup mix every tasted so good.

I had to chuckle though, reading the second half of your story. Did you know that "pants" in the UK refers to underwear. ;)😂

Wow, good story, and a reminder to always try to have a little something in reserve in the backpack. I bet no powdered dry soup mix every tasted so good.

I had to chuckle though, reading the second half of your story. Did you know that "pants" in the UK refers to underwear. ;)😂
That was partly why I asked for expansion of the "long story" though a priest with possession of a pair of trousers belonging to a lady is quite intriguing in itself.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had always some nuts dried friuts a bit of salami.
Remember some strech that was way too far for me drenched cold and I literally could not walk another step. I asked another pilgrim to bring me some bread if he finds any I was giving him money but he said if I had a knife he would share some of his bread. He did.
with a couple of nuts an apricot and hot water out of the sink I had a feast. I managed to get my boots dried to the next morning.
So plan b for the next fiesta.😉

I ended up putting a reminder on my phone for Saturday nights so I will be sure to buy some extra food in case I got caught out again on a Sunday. 😊
Depending on the town, the store may not reopen after siesta on Saturday either. Larger towns with some chain stores, yes, but smaller towns with family owned stores, maybe not. I know they did not reopen in some of the smaller towns were we served as hospitaleros.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back