• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get a Donkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Lee

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, I am a travel writer from Korea, and me and fellow travel writer are planning to go through El Camino from SJPDP - Santiago de Compostela this september with a Donkey. We got interested in donkeys by visiting a local donkey farm and after we tried walking several days with him, we decided to go to spain. They are adorable :)

We are respectively in our 20s and 60s, and still, became friends on the trail.

We are going to film a documentary movie throughout the trip including our story.

So my questions are,,

1) How / Where can we get a donkey at SJPDP ?
Both rent / buying is fine.
2) How much would it cost?
3) Will it be complicated for a foriegner to buy a donkey?

Our plans are not concrete yet so any suggestions are welcome including course changes ! Many thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can not answer any of your questions. I suggest you get a copy of Tim Moore's book TRAVELS WITH MY DONKEY; One man and His Ass on a pilgrimage to Santiago. Mr. Moore is an adventurer and his pilgrimage account is hilarious. In 2018 we saw pilgrims with donkeys of the Francis route.
Ted

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can not answer any of your questions. I suggest you get a copy of Tim Moore's book TRAVELS WITH MY DONKEY; One man and His Ass on a pilgrimage to Santiago. Mr. Moore is an adventurer and his pilgrimage account is hilarious. In 2018 we saw pilgrims with donkeys of the Francis route.
Ted
Thanks I'll get a copy soon 😄

You’ve probably walked more days with a donkey than most aspiring peregrinos, but the more time you can spend with a similar animal before setting your, the better. Some time with an experienced donkey-keeper and the ability to recognise possible issues and communicate them to a vet would also be sensible.
Are you essentially staging your journey for a future book?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Please, there are numerous threads about this particular subject already. You can find it at...

... No, just kidding.

Now my serious question:

If you buy it, will you then sell it in Santiago de Compostela, or take it with you to your home country?!

OMG! Sorry for being so incredulous. Ivar writes:

(...) http://www.elburroperegrino.com . This is a company that rents out donkeys to pilgrims. They deliver the animal to you, take care of it each night and returns it to you each morning. (...)

There are some restrictions:
- They only have this service from Sarria to Santiago.
- You need to rent a minimum of 5 donkeys (!)
- The donkeys should not walk more than 25km per day.

The article mentions a price of about 2500 euro for a 5 day trip with 5 animals.

Sounds like the only thing that could ever convince me to walk Sarria-Santiago again...
Still doesn't say anything about buying though. I stand by my earlier comment that buying would complicate things...

Use Google Chrome and it should translate for you, if you don't speak French.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
OMG! Sorry for being so incredulous. Ivar writes:

(...) http://www.elburroperegrino.com . This is a company that rents out donkeys to pilgrims. They deliver the animal to you, take care of it each night and returns it to you each morning. (...)

There are some restrictions:
- They only have this service from Sarria to Santiago.
- You need to rent a minimum of 5 donkeys (!)
- The donkeys should not walk more than 25km per day.

The article mentions a price of about 2500 euro for a 5 day trip with 5 animals.

Sounds like the only thing that could ever convince me to walk Sarria-Santiago again...
Still doesn't say anything about buying though. I stand by my earlier comment that buying would complicate things...

A lot of money! I will do it for 2000 Euros for a week, dressed as a donkey!

Hi, I am a travel writer from Korea, and me and fellow travel writer are planning to go through El Camino from SJPDP - Santiago de Compostela this september with a Donkey. We got interested in donkeys by visiting a local donkey farm and after we tried walking several days with him, we decided to go to spain. They are adorable :)

We are going to film a documentary movie throughout the trip including our story.

So my questions are,,

Our plans are not concrete yet so any suggestions are welcome including course changes ! Many thanks.
D.Lee,
For renting a donkey near SJPdP see Anes de l'Arradoy at this web site >>> http://www.loisirs.fr/anes-de-l-arradoy-ispoure.html

Here are some French and English films about donkey travels. Google each title for more info.

Antoinette dans les Cévennes/2020

Voyage avec un âne dans les Cévennes/

Voyage avec un âne dans les Cévennes/2015

Travels with a Donkey/1978

Since some of these are available on line you could start in the Cevennes this afternoon! Bon voyage!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

So my questions are,,

Hi Lee, I walked with a donkey. I can tell you its very slow. They don't walk fast, they want to nibble at the greenery along the side of the road, you need to find a place to keep the donkey in cities. You need to buy feed for it. People want to take your picture which is fine but gets very old after a while.
I had'nt plan to walk with a donkey. The owner of a hotel I was staying (it was winter and the albergue was closed) said he had a donkey after I mentioned it would be fun to have one to walk with. This was in Villacázar de Sirga. When I got to Santiago he did'nt want it back because they are not valuable animals. I could have given her away but I walked her back to her home.

Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I wanted to tell you my experience.

Good luck and buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I remember some years ago a northern (Norway?) couple hired a donkey. I was at Alte de Perdon doing first aid, my little camper with me, and saw them sitting on the hillside enjoying the view. The donkey was sitting down with them also enjoying the view.
They didn't know much about donkeys and felt sorry for it so after a couple of days they carried their own packs (I know! 😂).
One day a pilgrim was walking along and a donkey wearing an empty load saddle appeared out of some bushes and walked with him all day. When he arrived at his refugio he tied it up outside ... some time later the couple arrived - they had lost it.
I heard no news about them after that - always wondered if they got to Santiago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked half a day on the Le Puy with a couple who had two small children and two donkeys (the children were in panniers on the donkeys). They had reached the stage of accepting they could only do a maximum of about 10km a day, and were wondering what to do.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I remember once meeting a donkey at the front gate of a churchyard on the Frances. It seemed to be expecting someone, and its owner showed up within a minute or two to open the gate and take it away. He had clearly left the donkey in the churchyard to eat the ample grass inside the gate, as there was donkey manure everywhere. This was not the donkey's fault, but I did not see it as particularly cute.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Watch where you step! 💩
There is nothing wrong with a bit of chewed grass.

When, as a child, we first moved to Aotearoa New Zealand and I still went everywhere barefooted we often went to stay on a dairy farm. In winter with frosts on the ground and ice on the puddles we used to seek out fresh cow pats to stand in because they were warm and warmed our feet up.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is nothing wrong with a bit of chewed grass.

When, as a child, we first moved to Aotearoa New Zealand and I still went everywhere barefooted we often went to stay on a dairy farm. In winter with frosts on the ground and ice on the puddles we used to seek out fresh cow pats to stand in because they were warm and warmed our feet up.
What great childhood memories you have!...priceless!
I would "possibly" do the same as you did...cuz I hated frostbitten feet from sledding with my boys in midwestern winters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back