• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to Get back home from St-Jacques ?

JP

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014 & 2017
Camino Portuguese 2016
Camino Del Norte 2019.
Looks like we will be flying in to Paris and travelling by TGV train to St-Jean and starting our Camino on the 20th of April 2014. Once we reach St-Jacques should we go back up to Paris to take a flight back to Canada or go to Madrid or any other alternatives to get back home. Which is the easiest and less confusing way ?
Getting along in French is no problem, but asking direction and navigating Spanish train or plane instructions will be a bit of a problem with just a little spanish knowledge.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A flight home from Santiago will be most convenient and least expensive. Iberia Airlines goes to at least Toronto through Madrid, and maybe other Canadian cities.

If you haven't bought your tickets yet and are flying into Paris you might consider the following itinerary:

Home/Paris outbound.
Geneva/Home return.

There's as EasyJet flight from Santiago direct to Geneva for 80-100 Euros one-way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, JP,

Are you saying that you already have a one way ticket into Paris? Or that you are planning to fly round trip from home to Paris? I always suggest that people research not only which international airport is the closest to their departure point, but also think about getting back to that airport from Santiago.

Madrid and Barcelona are also possible for a round trip point that might be less hassle overall. But with so many cheap airlines you may also find you can get from Santiago (or Vigo as one recent poster mentioned) to Paris pretty cheaply.

I'm assuming that since you aren't walking till next April, that maybe you don't have your ticket yet. And you may also have a reason to choose Paris over Spain, but you should compare prices and also the prices of getting to St. Jean and from Santiago to your departure.

Planning a camino is fun, but planning your travel isn't part of the fun IMO! Good luck, Laurie

The fare from Toronto (you don't say where in Canada you live) to Pamplona, then a return from Santiago to Toronto is currently $956US on British Airways and Iberia. You then can start in Pamplona or make your way to Roncesvalles or SJPdP. You will save time and money compared to arriving in Paris. Trip duration is about 17 hours each way with two stops -- typically London or New York and Madrid.

We will be flying from Montréal, I checked the Pamplona flights and no direct ones and after finding transport to St-Jean it is longer and more complicated. Flight to Bayonne/Biaritz is ridiculously expensive so that is out of the loop. The Paris route has a direct flight and using the TGV appears the quickest route with a direct flight and with the train station right at the Charles de Gaule Airport. Flying out of Santiago de Compostella appears a good alternative, even if there are no direct flights back to Montreal.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Careful about one thing though, booking the date of your return flight in advance is the number one motive for "cheating" along the Camino or for people creating overly rigid hiking stage plans that cause unnecessary stress when (almost inevitably) it turns out to be unfeasible/undesirable to stick to them.

As to your non-stop flight hopes, nothing goes to Spain without first going to Madrid (nothing is a subjective term, of course). If you fly to Paris, you have to get from the airport to one of several train stations. You will have to deal with Parisians who have given France the reputation of being unfriendly to visitors (mostly a false urban myth). Airport taxi drivers probably are the source of many tales of being charge 100E for a 20E taxi ride.

A plane transfer at the Madrid airport is one of the easier transitions in the air travel business. Regional airports in Spain are near ghost towns. Your flight may be one of only two dozen daily flights. Finding your luggage and then a bus or taxi is a snap.

I love France, but airport transfers can be a nightmare.

- "booking the date of your return flight in advance"

Because of Vacation time, I do not have a choice. Planning to walk it in 35 days and 3 more days for Finistere if time permits. With 3 days left over for delays or rest days depending on how the walk turns out.

- "but airport transfers can be a nightmare (France)."

I was Under the impression that the train station is at the CDG Airport ? I speak French so I won't have trouble dealing with people or signs, not the case with Spanish so that stresses me out a bit as far navigating the Airports. I know that direct flights from Spain back home are not possible, but by then I won't be stressed out anymore and just glad to get back home.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
"...I was Under the impression that the train station is at the CDG Airport ?..."

JP,

There is a train station at CDG airport, but there are also many other stations within the city of Paris.

Trains that go from CDG airport include SNCF TGV (Tres Grand Express) from CdG Paris 2 airport to BORDEAUX which then connect with another TGV to Bayonne and a TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP. Their departures may not correspond with your arrival time. For info about getting a TGV ticket and train at CDG or getting to Paris from CDG see this English language site http://www.easycdg.com/1/ground-transpo ... sdegaulle/ For current train times see this French SNCF web http://voyages-sncf.com/.

For further information on French trains to Bayonne and SJPdP read what other pilgrims and I have posted in the Forum topic How to Travel from Paris to SJPP.

Bon voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I fly in to CDG on Sept 25; my plan is to get to Montparnasse station and get the train to Bayonne from that station. I know I can get to Montparnasse or very close on a train from the airport -- that I've done many times; And I hope that 35 days will be adequate to make it from St Jean to Santiago, since I am on a similar schedule. My return is from Madrid. Booking a multi-city trip was the same as a round trip and far less than 2 one-way tickets.

A bit confused now are CDG and CDG2 two different Airports and at different locations. I guess I will have to see my Travel Agent and get the travel arrangement sorted out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A bit confused now are CDG and CDG2 two different Airports and at different locations. I guess I will have to see my Travel Agent and get the travel arrangement sorted out.

JP,

Relax. Think of Paris/CDG airport as a large village; CDG1, CDG2 and CDG3 are different AREAS of the same airport/village.

For info about ALL ASPECTS of CDG read this invaluable English language site http://www.easycdg.com/1/home/ Scan all the sections for diagrams and info on how to navigate to and from these sections of the airport, get to Paris, get elsewhere in France, etc.

For current train times throughout France see this French SNCF web http://voyages-sncf.com/.

For further information on various French trains to Bayonne and SJPdP read what other pilgrims and I have posted in the Forum topic How to Travel from Paris to SJPP.

MM

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back