• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get first stamp in Bilbao

DarrenCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Del Norte starting 18th May 2022
Sorry this might be a really silly question but I am unsure!

We have flown into Bilbao and booked a hotel for the first two nights and will start our Camino from here but won’t stay in an Albergue until Pobena after we start. So we can’t get a stamp at the albergue in Bilbao, can we go somewhere else I.e the cathedral when we do start our Camino for a stamp before then moving in to collect each day as normal?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

We have flown into Bilbao and booked a hotel for the first two nights and will start our Camino from here but won’t stay in an Albergue until Pobena after we start. So we can’t get a stamp at the albergue in Bilbao, can we go somewhere else I.e the cathedral when we do start our Camino for a stamp before then moving in to collect each day as normal?

Hi and welcome here!

Norte prilgrims will be able to confirm if the cathedral in Bilbao has a sello. I'm pretty sure though that there will be one.
If not , any stamp , be it from your hotel or the tourism office will do.
But a stamp from the cathedral as a first one is quite special.

Be aware that if you want to finish in Santiago de Compostela and you want to receive the Compostela that for the last hundred kilometers you will have to collect two stamps per day.

Happy preparations!

Last edited:
A stamp of any church, postoffice ,restaurant ,hotel, boardinghouse , petrolstation etc .etc. Will do as long as you see where it was and the correct date is mentioned

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Or try the Tourist Office near the train station. They were very helpful.

A stamp of any church, postoffice ,restaurant ,hotel, boardinghouse , petrolstation etc .etc. Will do as long as you see where it was and the correct date is mentioned

On lesser walked Caminos I got sellos at the most unexpected places...😄

Do not get the one from the Bilbao Guggenheim Museoa. It was so small and plain, it’s really pathetic from such a great institution.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

845D9E56-4AB1-4E32-9D3B-C5F00A16F899.jpeg
There should be no problem at the Cathedral

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi and welcome here!

Norte prilgrims will be able to confirm if the cathedral in Bilbao has a sello. I'm pretty sure though that there will be one.
If not , any stamp , be it from your hotel or the tourism office will do.
But a stamp from the cathedral as a first one is quite special.

Be aware that if you want to finish in Santiago de Compostela and you want to receive the Compostela that for the last hundred kilometers you will have to collect two stamps per day.

Happy preparations!
Hi, by chance do you know if the cathedral in Bilbao would have the pilgram passport? I'm also starting from Bilbao in May. Thanks much, Michelle

Hi, by chance do you know if the cathedral in Bilbao would have the pilgram passport? I'm also starting from Bilbao in May. Thanks much, Michelle
Hi Michelle, I am also planning to walk this July and start from Gernika to Bilbao (to watch TDF) then head over to Irun to start proper. The research I've done is you can get a credential at Albergue de Peregrinos Santa Cruz de Begoña which is in Bilbao.
If you can get one at the cathedral that would certainly be more convenient.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.