• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get from Estella to Biarritz

AudTrekker

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2014 ( St Jean to Estella)
20th May 2015 (Estella - Ages)
23rd May 2016 (Ages - Sahagun)
I am a newbie and walking from St Jean to Estella in 3 weeks time. Does anyone know if there is a bus service from Estella to Irun? I need to get back to Biarritz on Saturday 31st May. We have a hotel booked there for Saturday night and are flying back to Dublin the following day.
Audrey

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am a newbie and walking from St Jean to Estella in 3 weeks time. Does anyone know if there is a bus service from Estella to Irun? I need to get back to Biarritz on Saturday 31st May. We have a hotel booked there for Saturday night and are flying back to Dublin the following day.

You could take a local bus to Pamplona (takes 40 minutes) http://www.laestellesa.com/servicios/
Then take the ALSA bus to Donostia-San Sebastian (one hour) and make the connection into Biarritz.http://www.pesa.net A bus at 9am and a bus at 14h30 (1hour 15 mins)
Audrey

There was also talk of a bus from Pamplona to SJPP which would make life a lot easier, check it out.

Best of luck

Buen Camino

Thanks, Mick.
I'll have a look at that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did more or less the same, two years ago. That is, I took a bus from Estella to Hendaye (I believe it was Estellesa, it will drive you accross the former border, and let you a few steps from the train station) and then the SNCF train to my destination in France. It was easy, just ask at Estella bus station. Another option is going from Estella directly to San Sebastian (also Estellesa, this will have more bus services than Irún) and then take the "topo" or local train to Irún, it is very close, just a few minutes.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Felipe.
That looks a good option.

A bit of an update you can get a bus to San Sebastion from Estella (Check Schedule) from Estella bus station.
Then on to Biarritz with the ALSA line from San Sebastion bus station near the Amara Plaza Hotel.
ALSA leaves San Sebastion around 18.30 short trip to Biarritz. Pesa line leaves earlier you can check with Biarritz Tourist ofice to confirm times. I travelled to San Sebastion from Biarritz last Saturday 10 Euro one way.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Micheal
Our Camino s last year gave us heaps more confidence in just 'getting around' didn't it?
Than you for your bus info, I'll keep it in mind for sept
I recall you trying to get your ticket on the bus from Burgos to return for air return flight (in France?). Lol.
Good/funny memory for a few of us.
I guess you're enjoying the beautiful Spanish weather at the moment
Again.

Annie

Navarra Buses
http://www.autobusesdenavarra.com/siv/internet/busquedas.jsp

Estellesa goes from Estella to Irun via San Sebastian twice daily. Some buses stop at Puente de Santiago which is a good choice if your train leaves from Hendaye.

It might be worth going by way of Pamplona. Estellesa has several buses daily to Pamplona. La Roncalesa operates several buses daily from Pamplona to San Sebastian.

Ekialdebus goes from San Sebastian to Irun. Renfe Cercanius goes from San Sebastian to Irun. Euskotren goes from Amara station San Sebastian to Hendaye.

SNCF TGV and Intercites leave from Irun. TER trains leave from Hendaye. Get off at Gare BiarritzChronoplus buses connect Gare Biarritz to Biarritz.

ATCRB buses connect Gare d'Hendaye with Gare Biarritz and Biarritz Airport. Chronoplus connects airport and train station with Biarritz.

Hi Au
Audrey
Hi Audrey, I'm flying Biarritz Dublin on a Saturday morning, hoping to get to Biarritz early enough on the Friday from Estella, how did ye get on, any recommendations? Any thoughts for Biarritz places to stay, travelling alone so somewhere I'd feel safe is my main priority if I went for a stroll in the evening before settling down for the night.
Thanks in advance :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Au

Hi Audrey, I'm flying Biarritz Dublin on a Saturday morning, hoping to get to Biarritz early enough on the Friday from Estella, how did ye get on, any recommendations? Any thoughts for Biarritz places to stay, travelling alone so somewhere I'd feel safe is my main priority if I went for a stroll in the evening before settling down for the night.

I would add to my previous information here that PESA and ALSA now operate buses from San Sebastian to Biarritz.

So the easiest way is probably Estellesa bus to San Sebastian and either PESA or ALSA bus to Biarritz.

I would add to my previous information here that PESA and ALSA now operate buses from San Sebastian to Biarritz.

So the easiest way is probably Estellesa bus to San Sebastian and either PESA or ALSA bus to Biarritz.
Thank You :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks very much for timetable that's great, just so my Spanish translation is okay it's saying it's leaving Estella say at 10:45 and arriving at San Sebastián at 12:15. I think I read somewhere that you could get a train from San Sebastián to Pamplona and from there to Biarritz, or is the bus journey if I got a connecting bus in San Sebastián to Biarritz worth it for the scenery :)

Unless you want to go to Pamplona, stay on the bus to Irun/Hendaye. From across the French border you can get a bus or train to the Biarritz airport/ airport station.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks very much for timetable that's great, just so my Spanish translation is okay it's saying it's leaving Estella say at 10:45 and arriving at San Sebastián at 12:15. I think I read somewhere that you could get a train from San Sebastián to Pamplona and from there to Biarritz, or is the bus journey if I got a connecting bus in San Sebastián to Biarritz worth it for the scenery :)

The Renfe train from Pamplona goes through San Sebastian before terminating at Irun/Hendaye, which is the border crossing. You can catch the SNCF train (or Transports64 bus as per the sked posted by Falcon) from Hendaye to Biarritz. The ALSA bus from San Sebastian to Biarritz makes a stop at Irun. The PESA bus makes a stop at Hendaye.

Train tracks and road run roughly parallel so scenery will be similar. The critical decision factor will be the schedule.

The extension on the Transports64 816 bus to Irun is new. Good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Au

Hi Cailin,
We got a bus from Estella at 10.45 to Irun/Hendaye and because there was 4 of us and we wanted to get there quickly and see a bit of Biarritz we got a taxi but I think you can easily get a bus. In hindsight, we would have been better walking an extra day and getting to the airport the next day as we felt we were just hanging around waiting to go home and Biarritz is a bit chic and expensive so a culture shock after the camino.
We stayed in the Escale Oceania Biarritz, not too far from the sea, and I think it was 80 euro for a twin bed room which isn't too bad for Biarritz but might be a bit expensive if solo.

Ok if I get the bus in Estella at 10:45 this Friday and stay going to Irin, do I get off the bus at 12:45 or 13:00 Irun pte Samtiago or estancia tren? Does anyone know then what time I'll be able to get a bus or train from Irun to Biarritz ? I'd like to get there early in the day.
Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back