• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get from Madrid Airport to Atocha Station

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
What is the quickest way of getting from Madrid Airport (T4) to Atocha Station - my flight arrives at 1.45 pm on Monday 17 September and my train leaves at 4.30 pm. Is that sufficient time?. Approximately how much would a taxi cost?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Jenny,

There is a subway line right under T4. Just 1-2 Euro (can't remember the exact amount) will get you to Atocha. The line is not direct and you have to transfer the line twice. Pink to Black to light blue. Details below.

http://www.metromadrid.es/es/viaja_en_m ... car=Buscar

Should be the fastest way to go to Atocha. I've taken it twice for 2 of my Caminos. Should not take more than an hour out of the gate to Atocho (taking into account the waiting and transfer).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Jenny,

Not much more waiting for you!

There are actually three ways to get to Atocha station from the airport on public transportation. (I think a cab would be around 30 euros).

Evan's described the metro, which requires two changes and takes around an hour.

Sil has described the express bus, which also is described in this post: traveling-to-from-the-camino/topic9474.html

The third is the RENFE cercanias (commuter line) which takes 26 minutes. There is a station right at T4, not far from the metro.

In comparing metro to RENFE, you should factor in the fact that the RENFE trains run less frequently than the metro, so there may be more of a wait.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. Maybe the best thing to do would be to note the C-1 Cercanias train departures from Barajas T4 around the time of your flight's landing. So you could decide on the spot whether to go for the train. Because if the timing works, it's definitely the fastest at 26 minutes.

The RENFE website shows these departures from T4 on Mondays (they don't go out as far as Sept. 17, so you could check again right beforehand at http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias ... arios.html ).

There are trains showing at the following departure and arrival times:

2:28 - 2:54
2:58 - 3:24
3:28 - 3:54

Any of those would work for you. There is a customer service RENFE office at the entrance to the tracks and I was able to buy train tickets as well as my cercanias ticket to the train station.

And for anyone who is over 60, if you spend 5E for a special card,you get 40% off all RENFE fares, which includes Cercanias and the regular trains.

buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks to everyone for their advice. It has all been very helpful. Jenny

You should have plenty of time to take any of the above choices. I've taken the metro and the bus and have to say that for me, the bus is the easiest though the slowest (it's taken me 25 mins when there's no traffic, and an hour in rush hour) It terminates at Atocha so there's no worry of missing your stop and it's direct while changing trains can be a bit worrisome sometimes, especially after a long flight. The bus driver will make change onboard (2E) but it's best to have some small currency (you can find ATMs in the airport).

Hi Jenny,

I see you're walking the VdP! I took the bus to Atocha then AVE to Seville this past April. It was very easy. I ended up sleeping all the way to Seville due to jet lag but arrived there quite refreshed. I stayed at the Triana Backpackers hostel which is where a lot of pilgrims stay before setting off on the VdP. The taxi there from the train station wasn't much at all.(10-15euro?)

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks once again for everyone's input, for which I am most grateful. 26 more sleeps then I am off!

I put together this jpg from the Madrid metro map. This shows the lines that will take you from Madrid Barajas T4 to Atocha Railway Station. As mentioned, it requires two line changes. You begin on the pink line, switch to the black at Nuevos Ministerios, and then to the blue line at Tribunal.
Madrid T4 to Atocha Station-Metro Lines.jpg

2006 Madrid Airport to train station Puerta de Atocha

a. Puerta de Atocha is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; line 10 to Tribunal; and, line 1 to Renfe Atocha.

b. Puerta de Atocha is reached by Renfe Cercanias direct from Madrid Airport T4.

c. Puerta de Atocha is reached by EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express bus direct from Madrid Airport T1-T2-T3 or T4.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back