• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how to get from Madrid to Foncebadon

• Thread starter Former member 101562
  • Start date
F

Former member 101562

Can anyone advise on this? I went on rome 2 rio and it looks like there is a bus to astorga or bemibre but when I go to buy tickets it says no tickets available. Thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How far out are you trying to buy tickets? A lot of times they don't go on sale until a few weeks before the travel date.

Train from Madrid to Astorga...would there be a bus from Astorga to Ponferrada? And then a stop. The hike from Astorga to Foncebadon isn't bad...pretty flat until Rabanal.

Just an fyi: Foncebadon is my favorite spot on the entire Camino. I don't know why...you know how it just hits you. I hiked from Astorga, got to Foncebadon and had a few beers at 1:00pm and then continued on to el Acebo (which had the best albuergue on the entire Camino). Next time I go, I will definitely be staying the night in Foncebadon. I love the place.

Best day: SJPP to Roncevalles
2nd best: Astorga to el Acebo
3rd best: hiking to O'Cebreiro

best of luck

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If not walking, then from Astorga , take a taxi! Train direct to Leon, usually change there for a train-to Ponferrada, with stop in Astorga. In Leon, depending upon when you arrive by train, the bus station (Alsa) is about a two block walk. You can also get a direct bus to Astorga. There are also direct buses from Madrid to Astorga.

Last edited:
If not walking, then from Astorga , take a taxi! Train direct to Leon, usually change there for a train-to Ponferrada, with stop in Astorga. In Leon, depending upon when you arrive by train, the bus station (Alsa) is about a two block walk. You can also get a direct bus to Astorga. There are also direct buses from Madrid to Astorga.
thank you do I need to get a ticket in advance?

Can anyone advise on this? I went on rome 2 rio and it looks like there is a bus to astorga or bemibre but when I go to buy tickets it says no tickets available. Thank you
Hello again! It looks like going from Madrid airport to Astorga I would take the ALSA bus......does this sound right? They have different trip lengths--are some faster than others? So bad at travel planning and I will be alone so hoping to get it right. Thank you to anyone who can confirm I am (literally) on the right track!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello again! It looks like going from Madrid airport to Astorga I would take the ALSA bus......does this sound right? They have different trip lengths--are some faster than others? So bad at travel planning and I will be alone so hoping to get it right. Thank you to anyone who can confirm I am (literally) on the right track!
Yes, ALSA is one of the larger bus services in Spain

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back